:shock:
CrazyIslander

Re: Stupid massive lotto...

Post by CrazyIslander »

Get me a ticket!
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

Got myself one of each today AGAIN. Luck has got to turn surely.
saffer13

Post by saffer13 »

LandOTurk wrote:Got myself one of each today AGAIN. Luck has got to turn surely.
I'll be getting one each as well. When I win, the much talked about PR rugby match at twikkers in a SH vs. NH posters will become a reality.
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

saffer13 wrote:
LandOTurk wrote:Got myself one of each today AGAIN. Luck has got to turn surely.
I'll be getting one each as well. When I win, the much talked about PR rugby match at twikkers in a SH vs. NH posters will become a reality.
With my injury list I'll just be an onlooker. But I'll be in the changing room at the beginning of each half with a can of Ralgex to spray up the arse of each NHer to get them ready for the next 40 minutes. Genius.
globus

Post by globus »

Ralgex! I had a bit of an issue with that stuff. I'd put it on my calves then stupidly headed for the lav where I had a wee and a scratch of the testicles as they were itchy. The resultant heat that built up on the inside of my shorts was to behold.

Took my mind off the game.
Average Joe

Post by Average Joe »

The SH team has hired a PI to track down the infamous Thurrock 7. With Yankies new found wealth we'll make him an offer he cant refuse.
saffer13

Post by saffer13 »

Such Debbie downers.
(CNN)There's a line in the hit 1988 film "Heathers" -- now running as a musical in London's West End -- when the clique of popular girls takes an inane straw poll of their high school cafeteria. "You inherit $5 million the same day aliens land on the Earth and say they're going to blow it up in two days. What do you do?" The answers are as diffuse as they are wild: vows of selfless charity, fantasies of luring Madonna into prostitution, designs for suicide-bombing zoos "so you and the lion die like one."

This week, the winners of two high-rolling lottery jackpots may get to live out their own big-spending fantasies. Tuesday's MegaMillions drawing currently stands at $1.6 billion and Wednesday's lesser Powerball is still no snip at $620 million. There isn't even a promise of alien invasion to cut short the spending window. But in life, as in fiction, there's always still a catch. Is an overnight windfall of this magnitude really worth the hassle? Earlier this year, a New Hampshire woman sued for the right to retain anonymity while claiming her Powerball prize of $560 million. Most states still consider the identity of lottery winners a matter of public record.

If that sounds like a price worth paying for a half a billion life change, bear in mind the number of lottery winners who've met grisly ends after the news of their winnings spread. In 2006, Abraham Shakespeare won $30 million in Florida; less than three years later, he was found buried under a concrete slab. Doris "Dee Dee" Moore, a woman who mysteriously befriended Shakespeare after his win, was eventually convicted of his murder. She'd offered to help Shakespeare manage his winnings, and killed him for them instead.

Shakespeare isn't the only winner who's been killed after becoming a high-profile target. In November 2015, Craigory Burch Jr. won $400,000 in Illinois and posed with the check. Two months later, he was killed in a targeted home invasion by gunmen demanding his money.

This is, of course, old wisdom. Chaucer's medieval "Pardoner's Tale" tells the story of three arrogant brothers eager to seek out and destroy Death. When they meet a wizened old man on their journey, so the tale goes, he directs them "to find Death, turn up this crooked way" and points them to a glistening casket of gold buried in the roots of the tree. It only takes this sudden windfall to ensure all three of the brothers kill each other.

Six-hundred years later, J.K. Rowling adapts the tale in the Harry Potter books to tell the story of "the Elder Wand." In this version, Death gifts the eldest of the three brothers an all-powerful magic wand -- but it can't protect him in his sleep. Excited by his new power, he gets drunk in a nearby inn and boasts of his good luck, whereupon he promptly has his throat cut in his drunken sleep by a fellow patron. ("And so Death took the first brother for his own.") Folk knowledge through the ages has warned us: Too much sudden gold or power, and you attract the wrong type of envy.

Still, who doesn't want to win the lottery? Just keep your mouth shut, do your best to claim anonymity (easier in some states than other) and don't flash your cash, right? If only it were that simple. Even if you can keep out of the limelight, it's hard to adapt to sudden wealth when you're not used to it. Drug addiction has plagued lottery winners. Jack Whittaker, who won the Powerball in 2002, lost his daughter and granddaughter to drugs and blamed their sudden wealth for fueling their spending on drugs. ("My granddaughter is dead because of the money," Whittaker said in 2007. "You know, my wife said she wished that she had torn the ticket up. Well, I wish that we tore the ticket up, too.")

Even those born into wealthy families, whose relatives have every opportunity to teach them how to manage money, often screw it up. The last Duke of Marlborough had to put Blenheim Palace, one of Britain's largest stately homes and birthplace of Winston Churchill, into a trust to avoid his ex-convict son from taking control of it. In 1999, citing the Marlborough case, the Duke and Duchess of Northumberland went to court to delay the receipt of an inheritance by their son George, who was 14 years old at the time.

"Too much too young," they argued, would leave him vulnerable to "vices and pitfalls." George Percy has since forged his own career in geothermal energy and will still inherit Alnwick Castle on his parents' death. But the concerns of parents like the Northumberlands have fueled the rise of "Next Generation" programs in private banks, which specialize in teaching the young how to manage their money sensibly. If you do win this week's Powerball, the best thing you can probably do is sign up to spend a week alongside the world's young aristocrats and oil heirs. It's sad but true: The best answer given to a fantasy wealth questionnaire in popular culture isn't the hedonism of "Heathers," but the vow of Ross Geller in "Friends" as he snatches a lottery ticket from his friends in season 9: "I'm going to put it all into a very low-yield bond!"

Given that winning $1.6 billion seems like so much trouble, you might consider passing altogether on this week's game of chance. If these horror stories of a "lottery" curse don't put you off, consider the old moral arguments: Lottery tickets are primarily bought in poor neighborhoods, by people who can't afford to throw their money away. Even if your Powerball purchase this week is a one-off flutter, you're still fueling an industry powered by perpetuating gambling addictions. But if you've really got to play this week, enjoy the thrill. Just cross your fingers, count your lucky stars and pray that you don't win.
Fangle

Post by Fangle »

I'm buying groceries today, and if there is no queue, I will buy one of each, as I do a few times a year. The size of the prize is immaterial, as even the smallest is more than I could spend on myself.
Balls Out!

Post by Balls Out! »

I've got a ticket; according to the news, if you take the (reduced) lump sum payout (rather than trying to hold on for another 30 years for all the incremental payments of the full amount), then with federal withholding, federal tax, and state tax (here in Taxachusetts) you're looking, from a 1.6bn jackpot, at pocketing 'only' around $490m.

Barely worth it I say. You may as well send me your tickets, I'll make sure they're disposed of properly...
Snooze

Post by Snooze »

I might even make a trip over the border to get one (or two). Although usually when they get this high the cues of the one shop in Pt Roberts are out the door and round the corner. I'll let you know. $490M must be about $3B Canadian. :lol: :lol:
Fangle

Post by Fangle »

There was no queue, so I now own a little square of yellow paper with some printing on it.
saffer13

Post by saffer13 »

Snooze wrote:I might even make a trip over the border to get one (or two). Although usually when they get this high the cues of the one shop in Pt Roberts are out the door and round the corner. I'll let you know. $490M must be about $3B Canadian. :lol: :lol:
We clearly need better border control.
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

saffer13 wrote:Mega Millions currently stands at $1.6 BILLION
Powerball at a measly $620 MILLION
:shock:
620million dollars pah what’s the point
DOB

Post by DOB »

saffer13 wrote:
Snooze wrote:I might even make a trip over the border to get one (or two). Although usually when they get this high the cues of the one shop in Pt Roberts are out the door and round the corner. I'll let you know. $490M must be about $3B Canadian. :lol: :lol:
Build that wall!

And Canada can pay for it!
kiap

Post by kiap »

saffer13 wrote:Such Debbie downers.
Earlier this year, a New Hampshire woman sued for the right to retain anonymity while claiming her Powerball prize of $560 million. Most states still consider the identity of lottery winners a matter of public record.
This bit does suck, though. What happened to individual rights and freedom?!

Sort your shit out, Yanks!
Snooze

Post by Snooze »

DOB wrote:
saffer13 wrote:
Build that wall!

And Canada can pay for it!
Tee hee. That would be galling to you fat pseudo yanks wouldn't it? And maybe I will build a wall with my winnings. :lol: Pt Bob border only about 3km. I can do that . . .
Spyglass

Post by Spyglass »

Fangle wrote:There was no queue, so I now own a little square of yellow paper with some printing on it.
I've also been sucked in by the hype and purchased a ticket at lunchtime today, so I'll spend the afternoon planning how I'm going to spend the $900M+, less tax obviously.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Isn't this site legit

https://www.thelotter.com/
Fangle

Post by Fangle »

Spyglass wrote:
Fangle wrote:There was no queue, so I now own a little square of yellow paper with some printing on it.
I've also been sucked in by the hype and purchased a ticket at lunchtime today, so I'll spend the afternoon planning how I'm going to spend the $900M+, less tax obviously.
I think you get about a quarter after taking cash option and taxes. As if that matters at all.
Snooze

Post by Snooze »

Anonymous. wrote:
Isn't this site legit

Dunno. But I think you need to buy these tickets from a USA retailer, which is why I have to take my life in my hands and venture in to Trumpland for cheaper gas and the odd $1.6B.
Spyglass

Post by Spyglass »

Fangle wrote:
Spyglass wrote:
I think you get about a quarter after taking cash option and taxes. As if that matters at all.
I may have to rethink my spending plans then :frown:
Fangle

Post by Fangle »

Spyglass wrote:
Fangle wrote:
Spyglass wrote:
I may have to rethink my spending plans then :frown:
I feel for you. You might have to cut back on a helicopter or two.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Snooze wrote:
Anonymous. wrote:
Isn't this site legit

Dunno. But I think you need to buy these tickets from a USA retailer, which is why I have to take my life in my hands and venture in to Trumpland for cheaper gas and the odd $1.6B.
I suppose if you are going into the country anyway. I've just read up on this company and it is legit. They purchase the tickets on your behalf. It is tempting but I don't play the ones in the UK so won't bother.
Fangle

Post by Fangle »

Anonymous. wrote:
Snooze wrote:
Anonymous. wrote:
Isn't this site legit

I suppose if you are going into the country anyway. I've just read up on this company and it is legit. They purchase the tickets on your behalf. It is tempting but I don't play the ones in the UK so won't bother.
Isn't there something about the money only being paid out to USA residents, in the USA?
argus

Post by argus »

If I win the Boks will be flying business class from now on
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Fangle wrote:
Anonymous. wrote:
Snooze wrote:
Anonymous. wrote:
Isn't this site legit

Isn't there something about the money only being paid out to USA residents, in the USA?
That is what I always thought but apparently not

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TheLotter
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

argus wrote:If I win the Boks will be flying business class from now on
Cheaper just to buy them a plane.
Fangle

Post by Fangle »

I only got one number right and so win nothing. The winner is in South Carolina where they can remain anonymous.
saffer13

Post by saffer13 »

Fangle wrote:I only got one number right and so win nothing. The winner is in South Carolina where they can remain anonymous.
Yupp, single winner. Lucky plum.
LeinsterLion

Post by LeinsterLion »

kiap wrote:
saffer13 wrote:Such Debbie downers.
Earlier this year, a New Hampshire woman sued for the right to retain anonymity while claiming her Powerball prize of $560 million. Most states still consider the identity of lottery winners a matter of public record.
This bit does suck, though. What happened to individual rights and freedom?!

Sort your shit out, Yanks!
I've never understood that! It's the same in Canada - or at least here in BC. WTF, how is that a good idea?

Also boggles my mind how "little" (relatively) one actually wins. Like the above examples, actually receiving only 1/4 of the jackpot?

Mind you I still play once in a while, and every time I travel through the province or in the States - the winning ticket is always sold in some small town you've never heard of, so that's where I buy 'em! :lol:
saffer13

Post by saffer13 »

Long read but a glimpse at how this guy let it ruin his and countless lives...
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/he-wo ... spartanntp