ManInTheBar

Re: Do you have a Credit Card?

Post by ManInTheBar »

Yes

Why?
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

I'm intrigued by an apparent generation shift on this with comparatively few people in their late 20s or early 30s having one
troglodiet

Post by troglodiet »

ManInTheBar wrote:Yes

Why?

Rule 1!

(Front and back please)
feckwanker

Post by feckwanker »

Early 30's here and I don't nor never have had one. That way I can only spend what I have.
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

troglodiet wrote:

Why?

Rule 1!

(Front and back please)

Don't have one so you're more than welcome!
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Mullet 2 wrote:I'm intrigued by an apparent generation shift on this with comparatively few people in their late 20s or early 30s having one

That's because you're a generation that's too stupid to be extended credit.
sewa

Post by sewa »

Yes but I am a bit older and debit cards didn't exist when I signed up
etherman

Post by etherman »

I've never had a credit card. I've never wanted a credit card.
ManInTheBar

Post by ManInTheBar »

troglodiet wrote:

Why?

Rule 1!

(Front and back please)
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

sewa wrote:Yes but I am a bit older and debit cards didn't exist when I signed up

:lol: ,
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

bimboman wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:I'm intrigued by an apparent generation shift on this with comparatively few people in their late 20s or early 30s having one

Says a Brexit supporter

Your whole island is too stupid to be extended credit
ManInTheBar

Post by ManInTheBar »

So..... at the very least it saves me a months cashflow on which I can earn a trivial amount of interest. In fact I use one which gives some benefits for purchases made and given that I pay it off every month it gives bonus bunce.
sockwithaticket

Post by sockwithaticket »

No, stick to debit. Constantly get offered the things, but I never used the one I had which expired a couple of years ago and I was given that by my bank without asking.

Turned 28 over the weekend (bye bye being able to claim mid-20s, however spuriously...) and I'm struggling to think of any friends who have one.
troglodiet

Post by troglodiet »

ManInTheBar wrote:
troglodiet wrote:

Why?

Rule 1!

(Front and back please)

We joke, but it actually happened...

Some daft bint posted photos of her credit card, front and back, on Twitter to brag about her first credit card.

It apparently didn't end well.
Bayern

Post by Bayern »

Not sure if things have changed but it used to be very difficult to rent a car (for example) without one.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Mullet 2 wrote:
bimboman wrote:

Says a Brexit supporter

Who still had enough to bail you idiots out,
Hellraiser

Post by Hellraiser »

I've had one for a decade or so. Was a necessity for internet purchases at the time as the old Laser cards couldn't be used outside Ireland. Don't use it that much any more except for large occasional expenses or booking hotels as you can do pretty much everything you need to with a debit card. The particular card I have has an upper limit of €1,000 per month so I can't go completely mental regardless.
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

bimboman wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:
bimboman wrote:

Says a Brexit supporter

You can tell yourself that when you're trying to plant carrots in your back garden
ZappaMan

Post by ZappaMan »

I have 4 in my wallet.

They're very handy for breaking into buildings à la Axel Foley :thumbup:
feckwanker

Post by feckwanker »

bimboman wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:
bimboman wrote:

Says a Brexit supporter

Your lack of self awareness is frankly shocking.
goose81

Post by goose81 »

Bayern wrote:Not sure if things have changed but it used to be very difficult to rent a car (for example) without one.
my last 2 experiences of renting a car, Belgium and England you cant unless you have a credit card. Well you can but you have to pay a large non refundable deposit. I think they wanted to just put a hold on the credit card in England but with the debit they wanted 250 GBP deposit that wasnt going to be refunded for a 2 day hire
happyhooker

Post by happyhooker »

I only got one when I was looking at getting a mortgage and couldn't get one because I had no real credit history.
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

goose81 wrote:
Bayern wrote:Not sure if things have changed but it used to be very difficult to rent a car (for example) without one.
my last 2 experiences of renting a car, Belgium and England you cant unless you have a credit card. Well you can but you have to pay a large non refundable deposit. I think they wanted to just put a hold on the credit card in England but with the debit they wanted 250 GBP deposit that wasnt going to be refunded for a 2 day hire

I think the "non" is incorrect here no?
julian

Post by julian »

I read the title and recall this irishman and his visamastercard problems:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clLNJ1xThe4
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

happyhooker wrote:I only got one when I was looking at getting a mortgage and couldn't get one because I had no Tax payment history

Fixed
goose81

Post by goose81 »

Mullet 2 wrote:
goose81 wrote:

I think the "non" is incorrect here no?
No, its not given back so deposit probably isn't the correct word, fee maybe. Its to pay what they call insurance that if you have a credit card you otherwise dont have to. All I know is we ended up just walking away 70 quid out of pocket from the booking because I had pre paid and went around the corner to another place and rented another car because I had registered myself for the first car and I dont have a credit card and he does so it was just cheaper to lose the cash on the first booking and re book the other using his credit card then me pay the fee on the first for using debit
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

happyhooker wrote:I only got one when I was looking at getting a mortgage and couldn't get one because I had no real credit history.

Strange logic from the bank
Frodder

Post by Frodder »

Got one to buy my car after PPI contract ran out. Paid it back religiously to ensure no interest. Then cut it up
ManInTheBar

Post by ManInTheBar »

Mullet 2 wrote:
happyhooker wrote:I only got one when I was looking at getting a mortgage and couldn't get one because I had no real credit history.

Someone had to run a credit check and the bank were too lazy
happyhooker

Post by happyhooker »

Mullet 2 wrote:

Why? I'd never had any form of loan or credit agreement and my broker advised that I got one and built up a history of using it. Seemed to work.
nardol

Post by nardol »

32, no CC
Luckycharmer

Post by Luckycharmer »

Yes they are great once used correctly and paid off in full each month - a months credit. I have never paid a penny in interest.
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

happyhooker wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:

Why? I'd never had any form of loan or credit agreement and my broker advised that I got one and built up a history of using it. Seemed to work.

Because they should be able to tell from your bank account whether you're prudent or not with your cash.

I have no credit card so the bank has taken what I save monthly and what I pay in rent and said you can clearly afford x a month mortgage payment.
happyhooker

Post by happyhooker »

Mullet 2 wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:

Because they should be able to tell from your bank account whether you're prudent or not with your cash.

I have no credit card so the bank has taken what I save monthly and what I pay in rent and said you can clearly afford x a month mortgage payment.
I wasn't going through my bank, maybe that's why
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

Yep have had a credit card for 10 years now. Rarely use it though. I used to top it up when travelling but since Revolut do inter bank rates now I just use my Revolut debit card when travelling
Tecumseh

Post by Tecumseh »

Need it in US to build credit score.

They do offer lots of perks with them mind you, so I use mine for everything except rent (landlord charges a fee for CC), pay it off monthly and get air miles for every $ spent
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

You need one for the states - European debit cards often stop working there for some reason
globus

Post by globus »

Got several. I set up auto payments from the bank account for the full balance each month.

There is also a drip feed into the kiddiwinks accounts.

As HH has found, it's good to have one and use it sensibly to get a decent credit rating.

I'm a bit miffed that Experian only score us 99. What do I have to do to get to 100?
OhNo

Post by OhNo »

I have one. Use it for things like renting cars as already mentioned, also some purchases like flights, holidays and so on for the degree of protection you get.

The main reason though, is as has happened a couple of times it means I have access to enough no quibble money when abroad so can get a flight at short notice. I wouldn’t feel happy without it.