Jonny May

All things Rugby
Mahoney

Re: Jonny May

Post by Mahoney »

The trick here is evidently to make lots of confident assertions about the quality of players, so that when one of them encounters a really embarrassing counter example (Finn Russell) you can seamlessly switch to crowing about whichever one seems to have received some vaguely supporting evidence.
slick

Post by slick »

tc27 wrote:Seems like a strange player for people to take exception too? He's a total space cadet not a dick like Ashton or Armitage.
As I said on another thread, I think he is a good player. I also like him, from what I've seen and heard, exactly for the reasons you say above. I just don't think he has done enough consistently to be called world class and I don't think he was the best winger in the 6N.
slick

Post by slick »

Chuckles1188 wrote:
tc27 wrote:Seems like a strange player for people to take exception too? He's a total space cadet not a dick like Ashton or Armitage.
But he's English and good, an unforgivable crime
Yeah, like Curry, or Mako, or Itoje or Slade etc who most sane folk on here credit as being great players. Dear oh dear.
C69

Post by C69 »

I don't see many taking exception to him.
He is an attacking force, fast and does the job he is tasked with very well. Certainly one of the best attacking wings in the world.
Chuckles1188

Post by Chuckles1188 »

slick wrote:
Chuckles1188 wrote:
Yeah, like Curry, or Mako, or Itoje or Slade etc who most sane folk on here credit as being great players. Dear oh dear.
This is the first time Curry's really showed up to non-English fans so needs more time for the old instincts to kick in. Mako is widely seen as Welsh. Slade is also showing up pretty much for the first time. And as for Itoje, he's one of the most hated of the current crop of England players.

Also, irrational hatred is not rational, News at 10
C69

Post by C69 »

Chuckles1188 wrote:
slick wrote:
Chuckles1188 wrote:
This is the first time Curry's really showed up to non-English fans so needs more time for the old instincts to kick in. Mako is widely seen as Welsh. Slade is also showing up pretty much for the first time. And as for Itoje, he's one of the most hated of the current crop of England players.

Itoje is not all hated by any sane individual. You People take exception to his head tapping and childish whooping and clapping.
H
slick

Post by slick »

Chuckles1188 wrote:
slick wrote:
Chuckles1188 wrote:

I think maybe it's you that has the problem here.
C69

Post by C69 »

slick wrote:
Chuckles1188 wrote:
slick wrote:
Chuckles1188 wrote:

I think maybe it's you that has the problem here.
Seems like tbh
Fenman

Post by Fenman »

So did we see any examples of Jonny May and George North competing for the ball in the air a few weeks ago? I suspect May's greater agility might well have given him the edge if the two came up against one another. Watching aerial contests closely over the course of the tournament, it appears that the player following up the ball often has an advantage as he can only estimate the trajectory of the ball quickly before jumping towards where he thinks it will be. The defender also has to take the oncoming player into consideration and all too often the following player gets off the ground first which is where the edge comes from. I miss Cuthbert playing for Wales. He wouldn't have got within a country mile of tackling May or Cokonisiga.
Da iawn diolch

Post by Da iawn diolch »

Chuckles1188 wrote:
But he's English and massively overhyped by supporters and press, an unforgivable crime
FTFY

Nobody is saying that he isn't a decent winger, but being on the end of a few run-ins and not f**king up every high ball for 12mths doesn't make you "world class" and definitely doesn't justify the hype train.