DUNE MOVIE 2019: It could be epic...

All things Rugby
shabadoo

Re: DUNE MOVIE 2019: It could be epic...

Post by shabadoo »

Nolanator wrote:Baron Harkonnen abusing his slave boy with a f**king heart plug was just weird.
Watched it as a kid and that scene is still melted into my brain - so freaky and weird.

Arrival was my favourite film of last year and i've read the books a few times (not for a while though). it fair to say i'm pretty excited about this.
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

shabadoo wrote:
Nolanator wrote:Baron Harkonnen abusing his slave boy with a f**king heart plug was just weird.
Watched it as a kid and that scene is still melted into my brain - so freaky and weird.
I just remember being confused by it, it's not in the book. In the books he just a massively obese despot who sexually and physically abuses young boys, ultimately beating them to death for his own gratifacation. That's enough to make anyone a monster. IIRC, it's mostly just implied in Dune, the more direct of graphic references to his proclivities come in the prequel novels.
There's no need to go all ridiculous comic book level nonsense with heart plugs to get that message across.

Flyin Ryan wrote:Give this new film 2 hours max, are they seriously going to be able to tell the story with it making sense? It could be Dune is too complicated to fit into a movie timeframe.
Even with three hours, I'm skeptical of how well they can do a good job of conveying the three sections of the story.
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

Flyin Ryan wrote:
dinsdale wrote:
Floppykid wrote:That's something Lynch really got right.
Spice dreams and navigators.
The whole look of the Lynch movie is fantastic. Very few dodgy casting decisions as well. The story is a disaster though. Loads of references to the book that make no sense with all that has been left out. I went and read the book after seeing the movie and loved it.

I remember watching Spitting Image shortly after Dune was released:

Barry Norman doing Film '84.

And now to the winner of last week's competition - who can figure what on earth Dune was all about. Special mention to David Lynch, he came 3rd.
Only saw the film once but can agree the best bit of the mid-80s Dune was it was visually stunning. I remember thinking Sting as the one person I recognized was misused horribly. Granted, probably wasn't much as an actor, but Feyd-Rautha should've had a larger role.

Think it's being called the mini-series here, but the one where Irulan is given a huge role in comparison to the mid-80s movie I liked more because they went more into detail. It's really silly how 2 different productions drawing from the same source material could be so wildly different.

Both versions I think have struggled with what to do post-Arrakis coup and pre-Fremen Rebellion. It's meant to be a time developing Paul into a leader, but everything gets slowed down.

Give this new film 2 hours max, are they seriously going to be able to tell the story with it making sense? It could be Dune is too complicated to fit into a movie timeframe.
They need to strip things back, take what's most important in the story plot/themeatically and go with that.
Finding and exploiting the absolute bare minimum from the books is the challenge.
Flyin Ryan

Post by Flyin Ryan »

Floppykid wrote:
Flyin Ryan wrote:Give this new film 2 hours max, are they seriously going to be able to tell the story with it making sense? It could be Dune is too complicated to fit into a movie timeframe.
They need to strip things back, take what's most important in the story plot/themeatically and go with that.
Finding and exploiting the absolute bare minimum from the books is the challenge.
To frame it in the context of another book that was fantasy and recently broadcast, this would be like taking the Game of Thrones book that the 1st season of the HBO show was based on, and cramming all the material to fit in 2 hours.
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

Look at Danaerys' changes over the last season of GoT. Even allowing for the shit writing, significant character development needs time for it to work.

There's a huge sequence of character events just for Paul that need to be covered. Paul going from the naive prince (or whatever the son of a duke is), having his life upheaved and moved to Arrakis, settling there, being attacked and fleeing into the desert with Jessica, settling in and proving himself amongst the Fremen, falling in love with Chani, taking the water of life and becoming Maud'dib, attacking Arrakeen, breaking the power structure of the Imperium and becoming the emporer. There's too much for a movie, IMO.

If they just focus on the pew-pew space marine type stuff and scale back on all the prohet shit it could work as a standalone. Cuts out a massive part of the whole story, but saves time and doesn't take away from the crux of the story which is boy looses everything, develops in exile, boy wins the universe.
shabadoo

Post by shabadoo »

Nolanator wrote:
shabadoo wrote:
I just remember being confused by it, it's not in the book. In the books he just a massively obese despot who sexually and physically abuses young boys, ultimately beating them to death for his own gratifacation. That's enough to make anyone a monster. IIRC, it's mostly just implied in Dune, the more direct of graphic references to his proclivities come in the prequel novels.
There's no need to go all ridiculous comic book level nonsense with heart plugs to get that message across.
Yeah - totally agree. But that was kinda the vibe of the whole film in a way - it was all over the top trippy shit.
flaggETERNAL

Post by flaggETERNAL »

Flyin Ryan wrote:
lemonhead wrote:Navigators getting insane power at the cost of turning into bloated shrimp drug addicts.
To be fair, everyone in the Dune universe are drug addicts.
To be fair only the ones who can afford melange. The 1% if you will. Looks like they need Bernie! 😉
flaggETERNAL

Post by flaggETERNAL »

Nolanator wrote:
shabadoo wrote:

Even with three hours, I'm skeptical of how well they can do a good job of conveying the three sections of the story.

They're making 2 films IIRC
lemonhead

Post by lemonhead »

Nolanator wrote:Look at Danaerys' changes over the last season of GoT. Even allowing for the shit writing, significant character development needs time for it to work.

There's a huge sequence of character events just for Paul that need to be covered. Paul going from the naive prince (or whatever the son of a duke is), having his life upheaved and moved to Arrakis, settling there, being attacked and fleeing into the desert with Jessica, settling in and proving himself amongst the Fremen, falling in love with Chani, taking the water of life and becoming Maud'dib, attacking Arrakeen, breaking the power structure of the Imperium and becoming the emporer. There's too much for a movie, IMO.

If they just focus on the pew-pew space marine type stuff and scale back on all the prohet shit it could work as a standalone. Cuts out a massive part of the whole story, but saves time and doesn't take away from the crux of the story which is boy looses everything, develops in exile, boy wins the universe.
Book doesn't waste time either, mind.

Paul's essentially an early chapter teary eyed Stark though trained to kill. He overtakes his mother's perception by the dinner party, wrongfoots the Guild banker who then nearly gets himself knifed and is already taking charge by the Harkonnen attack.

Def need at least two films, it's not The Old Man and the Sea.
Lacrobat

Post by Lacrobat »

The latest speculation - some blurry set photos, and etc.:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHroryat_yU
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/20 ... al_twitter
Spoiler: show
First image of Callidan, ships and Paul Atreides.
Bit washed out tbh.
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

I can live with Caladan being portrayed as a fairly grey seaside area with cliffs and seagulls etc. Certainly Cala city.
They're not going to show much of the planet, so there's no real need to show the sunny equatorial coral reefs etc.

I just hope Arrakis isn't too washed out with an orange palette like a cheap Mars sci-fi production.
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

The costume is a little goofy looking for me, but we'll see.
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

Some of the costumes are going to be a bit mad. It's a story about a space-faring feudal patriarchal society where they take drugs to see the future, transform into giant shrimps to steer ships through rips in spacetime, have lasers but also sword battles, giant sandworms that eat entire factory harvesters whole, etc etc.

There's going to be some mad shit. :lol:
Nieghorn

Post by Nieghorn »

Floppykid wrote:https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/20 ... al_twitter
First image of Callidan, ships and Paul Atreides.
Bit washed out tbh.

Take the ships out of the background and that could be a scene from an 80's New Wave band's music video! :D
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

Check out Dune Seitchposting on FB

It's hilarious
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

Going to try and find the source, apparently there's more.
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/20 ... ium=social

More stills in the Vanity Fair article.
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

THose outfits look cool. :thumbup:

One of my first instincts on seeing that second pic was that I hope the edit out the haze in post-production, because there shouldn't be much moisture in the air. :lol:

Floppykid wrote:
That's Oscar Issacs, isn't it? Atredies battle armour? Looks like Amos Burton from the Expanse in the background.

They had to meddle. Liet Keynes has been changed to a black woman. :lol:

Always pictured Thufir Hawat as a rake-thin, almost gaunt guy. Ed Harris would have been good. Don't buy the fat guy being as menacing or demanding of discipline, respect etc.
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

I'm glad it was just a minor character they did it to in fairness.
Keynes' physical characteristics aren't that important.
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

Yeah, that's true. Mostly just a foil to set Paul on his way and get some of the Fremen to trust him. And then get f**ked by the Harkonnens.

The books were written by a white man in the USA in the mid-60s. The cast is going to feel a bit different to something completely fresh that's written now.
Some more modern sci-fi that I've read has much more focus on ethnicities and how that might play out in a space-faring society. The mish-mashes of different ethnicities in the Belt in the Expanse, Harlan's World being a Slavic-Asian mix in Altered Carbon, etc.
Last edited by Nolanator on Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Akkerman

Post by Akkerman »

lady jessica looks too young there
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

Akkerman wrote:lady jessica looks too young there
Rebecca Ferguson is 36, so possibly. Jessica is supposed to have been quite young having Paul, like 20 or so. Paul's supposed to be like 15 when they move to Arrakis. Not far off.

Plus, you can just pretend that elite future society age more slowly because of reasons.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

Nolanator wrote:THose outfits look cool. :thumbup:

That's Oscar Issacs, isn't it? Atredies battle armour? Looks like Amos Burton from the Expanse in the background.
It's Gurney Halleck

And Tacticool Katana :blush: :lol:
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

Pat the Ex Mat wrote:

It's Gurney Halleck

Yea I saw the pic of Josh Brolin in the article after posting that. :thumbup:

Excuse you, that's not a katana, it's a kindjal blade. (yes, I had to look that up).
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

The outfits look a tiny bit space marine super tacticool, and everyone's a little moody, but I'll give it a pass because their stills to generate excitement and the age bracket this film is aimed at probably has to encompass late teens. What's the rating for the film? It'd be amazing if it was R. :lol:

Villeneuve doesn't make bad movies though.
Toulon's Not Toulouse

Post by Toulon's Not Toulouse »

Oh, that's Jessica? Makes sense then. I was thinking that Chani was strangely pale for a desert dweller.
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

I hope we get to see some of house Harkonnen, but they're probably saving that for the movie given how odd they're going to look.

Big one is Navigators, cannot wait to see how they look.
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

Floppykid wrote:I hope we get to see some of house Harkonnen, but they're probably saving that for the movie given how odd they're going to look.

Big one is Navigators, cannot wait to see how they look.
Floaty shrimps occluded by melange vapour. Sorted. :lol:

As long as Vlad doesn't have heart plugs on his victims, he should be good. Hopefully Skarsgard can be sinister without too much chewing scenery or OTT stuff.
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

Toulon's Not Toulouse wrote:
Oh, that's Jessica? Makes sense then. I was thinking that Chani was strangely pale for a desert dweller.
Chani's the black chick from the recent Spiderman movies. His love interest.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

Nolanator wrote:
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:

It's Gurney Halleck

Yea I saw the pic of Josh Brolin in the article after posting that. :thumbup:

Excuse you, that's not a katana, it's a kindjal blade. (yes, I had to look that up).
Well, it's a wakizashi - nothing like a Kindjal
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

So do you guys think Covid has killed this series already?
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

Floppykid wrote:Image

I’m tolerably certain that’s Crackafat MatPat of this parish
flaggETERNAL

Post by flaggETERNAL »

Floppykid wrote:So do you guys think Covid has killed this series already?
I think I read somewhere the series will start shooting in December 2020.

The stills so far have me feeling a little more excited. I like the look of those kindjal daggers. List Kynes as a black woman looks badass. From a photo of Chani I saw they haven't gone gulls eyes of the Ibad. Bit disappointed but hey it's not that big a deal.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

MungoMan wrote:
Floppykid wrote:Image

I’m tolerably certain that’s Crackafat MatPat of this parish
In fairness, my beard is approaching that level of Dukedom
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

Trailer is being released tomorrow.
AnkleTap

Post by AnkleTap »

To all you Dune freaks out there. How far did you read this series?
I read all the way to Chapter House. I even tried one of the ones written by his son, but it was such utter trash I never did try any others.
ukjim

Post by ukjim »

the one thing I can safely bet my bottom dollar on is the levels of REEEEEEEEE that this movie will generate.

Neckbeards are sharpening crysknives across the world as we speak.

I just hope a major character is black/trans etc just to properly annoy them.
Flyin Ryan

Post by Flyin Ryan »

AnkleTap wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:51 pm To all you Dune freaks out there. How far did you read this series?
I read all the way to Chapter House. I even tried one of the ones written by his son, but it was such utter trash I never did try any others.
Read Dune and the one with the God Emperor.

I sometime should try to watch the Children of Dune series Syfy did.
dinsdale

Post by dinsdale »

AnkleTap wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:51 pm To all you Dune freaks out there. How far did you read this series?
I read all the original series. The last couple were something of a labour of love but still interesting enough to finish.

I'd really like the movie to be good it's a complex story with a lot of background detail in the books. The David Lynch one looked stunning but was an incomprehensible mess, even with the endless voiceovers trying to explain what was going on. I've also found Denis Villeneuve movies a bit of a mixed bag - he may hit it out of the park or disappear up his own arse.