Chat Forum
It is currently Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:30 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 18090
Free-form thread. The Man did a million covers. So very many good ones.

Some worked, some didn't

I'll start...

One
Verdict - Not
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEnkU8b ... Cash-Topic


Aint no Grave
Verdict - success, better than original
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zE4-LX ... Cash-Topic


Hurt
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AHCfZT ... nyCashVEVO
Verdict - Big success - better than original

Personal Jesus
Verdict: No verdict...err lolwut
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3QDDlW ... Cash-Topic

Heart of Gold
Verdict: Pass
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxOynOb ... Cash-Topic

Redemption Day
Verdict: Credit/Distinction
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uU4W894 ... Cash-Topic


There's many more...go for it!


Last edited by shanky on Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 15798
Hurt /end thread


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:50 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:51 pm
Posts: 1118
AND-y wrote:
Hurt /end thread


Agreed - spectacular cover!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 1549
dpedin wrote:
AND-y wrote:
Hurt /end thread


Agreed - spectacular cover!

Gets me every time. Especially with the vid.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 18090
Sooner or later, God's Gonna cut you down

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJlN9jdQFSc


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 19, 2013 9:12 am
Posts: 8493
shanky wrote:
Sooner or later, God's Gonna cut you down

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJlN9jdQFSc


That's when I realized the Moby version wasn't the original.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 19, 2013 9:12 am
Posts: 8493
dantedelew wrote:
dpedin wrote:
AND-y wrote:
Hurt /end thread


Agreed - spectacular cover!

Gets me every time. Especially with the vid.


Seemed so powerful and melancholy, as if telling the sorrowful autobiographical story of his life. :(( Then I found out it was a cover. Oh right! :blush: :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 18090
booji boy wrote:
shanky wrote:
Sooner or later, God's Gonna cut you down

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJlN9jdQFSc


That's when I realized the Moby version wasn't the original.


LOL

The surfer's song.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 18090
booji boy wrote:
dantedelew wrote:
dpedin wrote:
AND-y wrote:
Hurt /end thread


Agreed - spectacular cover!

Gets me every time. Especially with the vid.


Seemed so powerful and melancholy, as if telling the sorrowful autobiographical story of his life. :(( Then I found out it was a cover. Oh right! :blush: :lol:



He often did covers better than original (or at least, important 'takes' on them). That's kinda the point of the thread. I'm 100% sure Reznor secretly likes Johnny's version

:thumbup:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 19, 2013 9:12 am
Posts: 8493
shanky wrote:
booji boy wrote:
dantedelew wrote:
dpedin wrote:
AND-y wrote:
Hurt /end thread


Agreed - spectacular cover!

Gets me every time. Especially with the vid.


Seemed so powerful and melancholy, as if telling the sorrowful autobiographical story of his life. :(( Then I found out it was a cover. Oh right! :blush: :lol:



He often did covers better than original (or at least, important 'takes' on them). That's kinda the point of the thread. I'm 100% sure Reznor secretly likes Johnny's version

:thumbup:


No secret about it. I'm pretty sure Reznor has openly stated that Johnny's version is best.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 18090
For fans of the movie '1917'. Poor Wayfaring Stranger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIlbZAP ... rBlondie02


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 18090
booji boy wrote:
No secret about it. I'm pretty sure Reznor has openly stated that Johnny's version is best.


I didn't know that. Cool.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 4412
Rusty Cage :thumbup:

https://youtu.be/9CrBqRb3VGM


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:56 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 23970
shanky wrote:
booji boy wrote:
No secret about it. I'm pretty sure Reznor has openly stated that Johnny's version is best.


I didn't know that. Cool.

Trent Reznor says Johnny Cash's version of Hurt felt wrong when he first heard it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:57 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 23970
Johnny Cash - Ghost Riders In The Sky (Live - 1987)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 4412
Jensrsa wrote:


Fantastic song.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:16 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 23970
Johnny Cash & June Carter - Jackson


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:44 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 320
Duet with Ray Charles, " Why Me, Lord" https://youtu.be/HWnPXfgNEC0

Here with Jerry Lee Lewis, Carl Perkins, Roy Orbison, " This Train is Bound For Glory"
https://youtu.be/KKsDQaTkkxo

All these boys could sing Gospel as naturally as breathing as well as the Devils music!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 24432
True artists, not flat track bullies.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:43 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:44 pm
Posts: 39107
Location: For Wales the Welsh and aproppriate pronouns
AND-y wrote:
Hurt /end thread

This


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11982
Bimboc69 wrote:
AND-y wrote:
Hurt /end thread

This


This thread has no end.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:25 pm
Posts: 713
I always thought Daddy Sang Bass was a cover, but apparently not. Think he found God around that time, but had assumed it was a cover of a gospel song.

An aside, the first ever CD I bought was De La Soul's 3 Feet High and Rising - not only can Johnny make a god cover, he wrote some songs that made great covers/adaptations.

Eta: And Hurt is one of the best overs I've ever heard.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:26 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 1772
Ring of fire is a cover too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIBTg7q9oNc

The song was originally recorded by Anita Carter, a sister of composer June Carter who wrote it after hooking up with Johnny.
June made a recording of it as well which I confess I prefer to the more famous version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnplCRQVLDM


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:12 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 320
Here is another ensemble piece from his Road show,
" Children go where I send thee" https://youtu.be/aQMT80D9nzU
He liked to include a lot of Call and Response Gospel numbers to get the crowd going.
Have a listen, there are some great In Car Karaoke numbers there,.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:25 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 4142
One of my faves is his cover of Sting's I Hung My Head.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:33 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:22 pm
Posts: 656
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:43 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 6860
Location: Plum
Hurt is overrated.

Every song on Country Christmas gives me the shivers.


Joy To The World - Johnny Cash


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:15 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11982
Bindi wrote:
Hurt is overrated.


It's a fine version of an original song I don't really like, not a big NIN fan. But it's ballooned into every passing Cash fan's favourite. The No One Knows, QOTSA of Cash's repertoire.

As for his latter covers albums, I really love his cover of Nick Cave Mercy Seat He was pretty old and struggling when a lot of this was recorded. Rubin did a great job stripping it all back.

When I was a kid I got a Dukes of Hazzard LP. Always loved Johnny's The General Lee

Hard to think now that Cash was only 71 when he died, he looked 91. A hard life and degernative disease will do that. But I would have sworn he was in his 80s.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:49 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 7700
Any Johnny is a good cover.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:54 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 6860
Location: Plum
mr bungle wrote:
Bindi wrote:
Hurt is overrated.


It's a fine version of an original song I don't really like, not a big NIN fan. But it's ballooned into every passing Cash fan's favourite. The No One Knows, QOTSA of Cash's repertoire.

As for his latter covers albums, I really love his cover of Nick Cave Mercy Seat He was pretty old and struggling when a lot of this was recorded. Rubin did a great job stripping it all back.

When I was a kid I got a Dukes of Hazzard LP. Always loved Johnny's The General Lee

Hard to think now that Cash was only 71 when he died, he looked 91. A hard life and degernative disease will do that. But I would have sworn he was in his 80s.


Must admit I don't know a lot of his covers. Bob Dylan was scathing of his stuff when he went down that road.

Quote:
In the Rolling Stone interview, Dylan also expressed some backhanded nostalgia for the early recordings of his old friend and duet partner Johnny Cash, in the process describing the country legend’s acclaimed 1990s comeback albums as “notorious low-grade stuff.”


Which reminds me of my absolute favourite JC song.

Bob Dylan & Johnny Cash - Girl from the North Country


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:58 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11982
The harmonies don't really work on that one. Prefer Bob doing it solo.



Cocaine Blues


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:20 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11109
Location: Tahstown
Hurt
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AHCfZT ... nyCashVEVO
Verdict - Big success - better than original

Absolutely wasn't
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhh21crSohs


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:40 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 4595
Fun fact....
Johnny Cash traced his ancestry back to Fife and paid a visit there in 1981, where amongst other events he sang in a local church with local school kids, one of who was my sister aged 8 at the time.
https://twitter.com/thecourieruk/status ... 46817?s=20


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 18090
grievous wrote:
Hurt
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AHCfZT ... nyCashVEVO
Verdict - Big success - better than original

Absolutely wasn't
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhh21crSohs



Are you really sure you're temperamentally-suited to posting on opinion-based websites?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:49 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11109
Location: Tahstown
shanky wrote:
grievous wrote:
Hurt
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AHCfZT ... nyCashVEVO
Verdict - Big success - better than original

Absolutely wasn't
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhh21crSohs



Are you really sure you're temperamentally-suited to posting on opinion-based websites?

You don’t like my opinion?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 18090
grievous wrote:
shanky wrote:
grievous wrote:
Hurt
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AHCfZT ... nyCashVEVO
Verdict - Big success - better than original

Absolutely wasn't
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhh21crSohs



Are you really sure you're temperamentally-suited to posting on opinion-based websites?

You don’t like my opinion?


Nice try. I was referring to your stridency in all matters opinion-related

But you knew that already, right?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:05 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11109
Location: Tahstown
shanky wrote:
grievous wrote:
shanky wrote:
grievous wrote:
Hurt
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AHCfZT ... nyCashVEVO
Verdict - Big success - better than original

Absolutely wasn't
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhh21crSohs



Are you really sure you're temperamentally-suited to posting on opinion-based websites?

You don’t like my opinion?


Nice try. I was referring to your stridency in all matters opinion-related

But you knew that already, right?

I don’t know what the Fock you are on about actually.
Odd thread to pick a fight on.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ] 

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bagheera, bimboman, CarrotGawks, danny_fitz, Deco2, DOB, Insane_Homer, Jensrsa, Lazy Couch potato, Liquid_Len, message #2527204, Mr Mike, msp., Nolanator, pieman99, Rinkals, Rowdy and 65 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group