Woke: A guide to Social Justice by Titania McGrath

All things Rugby
Mog The Almighty

Re: Woke: A guide to Social Justice by Titania McGrath

Post by Mog The Almighty »

Sensible Stephen wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:I didn't say bald jokes are as bad as racism. I said that particular joke in this thread is about as offensive as a bald joke.
Oh, right. So its fine then. Its racist, but you know, its not the bad racism. :uhoh:
I guess. Are we pretending there's not levels to it or... ?

Which part of it exactly is that part you find so offensive? And if you explain it to me and I see you're right, I'll change my mind, I promise. As far as I can see it's an intentionally off-colour joke on a thread about woke-ism, and I suggest it should be taken as such and no more.
Taranaki Snapper

Post by Taranaki Snapper »

Ika Whitesplaining to an Asian poster why he is wrong to be offended by casual racism... :roll:
Mog The Almighty

Taranaki Snapper wrote:Ika Whitesplaining to an Asian poster why he is wrong to be offended by casual racism... :roll:
When I saw you had commented, I knew it was going to be something idiotic.

"Whiteplaining" :roll: That's a new one for the SJW brigade.
fatcat

Post by fatcat »

It's a bit weird how you seem to think SS shouldn't be offended. As an aside I'd be interested to know who SS thinks is the bigger twat on this thread - Shreckles or Catman. Obviously the casual racism isn't aimed at me so I vote Catman.
Sensible Stephen

Post by Sensible Stephen »

fatcat wrote:It's a bit weird how you seem to think SS shouldn't be offended. As an aside I'd be interested to know who SS thinks is the bigger twat on this thread - Shreckles or Catman. Obviously the casual racism isn't aimed at me so I vote Catman.
Definitely Catman. Utter twat.

Shrekles at least hasn't doubled down. He made a silly racist joke, but that doesn't mean he is a racist or anything. Just a bit of an idiot.

Meanwhile, Mog has gone full retard though. :lol:
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

I thought you described the issue very well, it was a boredism that should be left to die. Good Challenge to make us think more critically. That fact Shrekles hasn’t reacted defensively is to his credit.

Not so keen on your use of the r word. Obviously I’m triggered.
fatcat

Post by fatcat »

I'm not sure I'd describe it as a boredism, it was just very nasty. Same as people repeatedly mocking Toga's testicular cancer.
shanky

Post by shanky »

fatcat wrote:I'm not sure I'd describe it as a boredism, it was just very nasty. Same as people repeatedly mocking Toga's testicular cancer.
Did you laff when jerpy made the 'joke' the first time?

Be honest now.
fatcat

Post by fatcat »

shanky wrote:
fatcat wrote:I'm not sure I'd describe it as a boredism, it was just very nasty. Same as people repeatedly mocking Toga's testicular cancer.

Be honest now.
I doubt it, although I can't remember - are you talking about the racism or cancer mocking? I don't think I've ever laughed or smiled at either.
Mog The Almighty

Sensible Stephen wrote:
fatcat wrote:It's a bit weird how you seem to think SS shouldn't be offended. As an aside I'd be interested to know who SS thinks is the bigger twat on this thread - Shreckles or Catman. Obviously the casual racism isn't aimed at me so I vote Catman.

Shrekles at least hasn't doubled down. He made a silly racist joke, but that doesn't mean he is a racist or anything. Just a bit of an idiot.

Seriously wtf? Firstly, unlike you, I haven't insulted anybody here. And secondly ... that's what I've been saying all along. :uhoh:
shanky

Post by shanky »

fatcat wrote:
shanky wrote:

Be honest now.
I doubt it, although I can't remember - are you talking about the racism or cancer mocking? I don't think I've ever laughed or smiled at either.

I sniggered for a second back then (to the jerpy usage, not this thread), then immediately realised that this wasn't cool.

Not my best moment.
Last edited by shanky on Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mog The Almighty

fatcat wrote:It's a bit weird how you seem to think SS shouldn't be offended.
Well ... because it's not very offensive, it's a joke in a "woke" thread coming from a poster who has a pretty solid reputation and there was obviously no malice or intent to offend.

That last thing is actually a recurring issue in woke-culture. What people should be asking before they leap onto every little slip up or slightly off joke is, was there any offensive intent behind this? Because if the answer is "no" then there's only a certain level of offence one can take before choosing to be outraged, and that level is not very high.
Sensible Stephen

Mog The Almighty wrote:
Sensible Stephen wrote:

Seriously wtf? Firstly, unlike you, I haven't insulted anybody here. And secondly ... that's what I've been saying all along. :uhoh:
No, you've only dismissed me for calling out racism.

Normalising racism.

Nah, yeah, its just like bald jokes right.
C69

Post by C69 »

Has anyone else actually read this feck n book?
Mog The Almighty

Sensible Stephen wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:
Sensible Stephen wrote:

Normalising racism.

Can you stop putting words in my mouth to fuel your outrage please? Just go on what I'm saying and maybe you're realize there's nothing to be offended about.

I said that particular joke was a bit off colour, but ultimately no more offensive than bald joke or a ginger joke. I'm not saying all racism is akin to a bald joke. I'm aslo, fwiw, not calling posters "c-nts" and racists or implying they are liars like you are. My guess is that he was obviously being a bit cheeky on a thread about wokeness and although I don't want to put words in anyone's mouth, will probably apologize when he sees how offended you are. I'm not "normalizing" anything and I'm definitely not relating all racism to bald jokes.
Last edited by Mog The Almighty on Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sensible Stephen

Mog The Almighty wrote:
Sensible Stephen wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:
Sensible Stephen wrote:

Normalising racism.

Can you stop putting words in my mouth to justify your outrage please?

I said that particular joke was a bit off colour, but ultimately no more offensive than bald joke or a ginger joke. I'm not saying all racism is akin to a bald joke. I'm aslo, fwiw, not calling posters "c-nts" and racists or implying they are liars like you are. My guess is that he was obviously being a bit cheeky on a thread about wokeness and although I don't want to put words in anyone's mouth, will probably apologize when he sees how offended you are. I'm not "normalizing" anything and I'm definitely not relating all racism to bald jokes.

If it were me I would have rolled my eyes. But you've successfully kicked of a woke shit fight in a thread about how ridiculous wokeness is.
Nah. Get fuked.

I am sick to shit of racism being brushed off as a joke.

So saying asians have sideways vaginas is all good is it? a bit of ha ha? Reflect on it you stupid cnut.
Mog The Almighty

:roll: God I give up. Wallow in it my friend.

Just be aware that nobody here actually has anything against Asians at all. For whatever little that's worth in your calculations.
Sensible Stephen

Mog The Almighty wrote::roll: God I give up. Wallow in it my friend.

Just be aware that nobody here actually has anything against Asians at all. For whatever little that's worth in your calculations.
No, just racist remarks. Which apparently mean nothing because its a joke.

But thanks, for going after me for being offended at such racism.

I should be more tolerant of other peoples racist remarks.

Cheers.

You fuken cnut.
Mog The Almighty

Sensible Stephen wrote: You fuken cnut.
:roll:

Sigh. I didn't "go after" anybody. I simply said it was an off joke and nothing to get worked up about.

Anyway this is going nowhere. You've obviously convinced yourself. Have a nice evening.
fatcat

Post by fatcat »

Mog The Almighty wrote:
Sensible Stephen wrote: You fuken cnut.
:roll:

Sigh. I didn't "go after" anybody. I simply said it was an off joke and nothing to get worked up about.

Anyway this is going nowhere. You've obviously convinced yourself. Have a nice evening.
Would you have felt the same way if it was a joke about a black person having thick lips?
Mog The Almighty

Do black people have thicker lips than caucasian and asians?
Clive

Post by Clive »

Mog The Almighty wrote::roll: God I give up. Wallow in it my friend.

Not keen on Pakistans, they smell.
fatcat

Post by fatcat »

Mog The Almighty wrote:Do black people have thicker lips than caucasian and asians?
Fair enough, I know where you're coming from.
Mog The Almighty

fatcat wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:Do black people have thicker lips than caucasian and asians?
:thumbup:

There is real racism out there, and it's ugly and horrible. This just is not it.
alliswell

Post by alliswell »

Mog The Almighty wrote:
fatcat wrote:

There is real racism out there, and it's ugly and horrible. This just is not it.
Jesus, the state of you.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

Mog The Almighty wrote:
Zakar wrote: SS is Asian you f**king load of sloth cum
So what? And why are you more outraged than he appears to be? And why is it "okay" to call someone a f-cking load of sloth cum? Isn't that kind of offensive? My sister is (half) Asian. I very much highly doubt she would be remotely offended by that trolling tongue-in-cheek joke, even if it is a bit "not PC". She's probably actually snort at most. It's a question of whether someone is really offended or whether they just think maybe they "should" be offended by today's very easily reachable standards. I suspect there's a lot of the latter going around recently.

Reminds me of when someone called Wendell Sailor a black c-unt (which is way more offensive than that joke) and when asked how offensive and disappointing he found it, his reply was, "Well ... I guess it's pretty offensive to be called a c-nt anyway".

Or another time when Gordan Tallis joked that Sailor, wearing a tuxedo looked like, "a suite with a couple of eyeballs and a set of teeth floating above it". There was widespread outrage but Wendell said he laughed his arse off when he heard it. I mean ... he has dark skin. It's only offensive if you think there's something inherently inferior about that to begin with and you need to pretend it's not the case ... which would be actual real racism.
I don't know how this has caused you to fly off the handle, but what annoys me is to people who scream 'snowflake' 'woke' etc when their behaviour is called out. Like they can be free of criticism because to criticise is to be somehow weak.

I don't give a fudge if someone calls me out for my behaviour, which is often abhorrent.
Sensible Stephen

Mog The Almighty wrote: There is real racism out there, and it's ugly and horrible. This just is not it.
Seriously? You piece of shit.

https://melmagazine.com/en-us/story/sid ... agina-myth
Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm »

Mog quintuples down yet again.
Harveys

Post by Harveys »

alliswell wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:
fatcat wrote:

Jesus, the state of you.
Yup, :thumbdown: :uhoh:
Mog The Almighty

Zakar wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:
So what? And why are you more outraged than he appears to be? And why is it "okay" to call someone a f-cking load of sloth cum? Isn't that kind of offensive? My sister is (half) Asian. I very much highly doubt she would be remotely offended by that trolling tongue-in-cheek joke, even if it is a bit "not PC". She's probably actually snort at most. It's a question of whether someone is really offended or whether they just think maybe they "should" be offended by today's very easily reachable standards. I suspect there's a lot of the latter going around recently.

Reminds me of when someone called Wendell Sailor a black c-unt (which is way more offensive than that joke) and when asked how offensive and disappointing he found it, his reply was, "Well ... I guess it's pretty offensive to be called a c-nt anyway".

Or another time when Gordan Tallis joked that Sailor, wearing a tuxedo looked like, "a suite with a couple of eyeballs and a set of teeth floating above it". There was widespread outrage but Wendell said he laughed his arse off when he heard it. I mean ... he has dark skin. It's only offensive if you think there's something inherently inferior about that to begin with and you need to pretend it's not the case ... which would be actual real racism.
I don't know how this has caused you to fly off the handle, but what annoys me is to people who scream 'snowflake' 'woke' etc when their behaviour is called out. Like they can be free of criticism because to criticise is to be somehow weak.

I don't give a fudge if someone calls me out for my behaviour, which is often abhorrent.
Yeah, I can absolutely agree with that. There's a danger it will be used to hand-wave away genuine social concerns. 100%.

Nothing has "gotten into me", I wasn't getting worked up, just making a few pretty fair points. Racism is of course a horrible and real problem and I'm not saying it's cool to joke about it, I definitely would not personally (and have not). I've just saying it's a nuanced issue and if the only appropriate response to some things is to either ignore all context and nuance and froth at the mouth with outrage or complete silence that that is just plain dumb. Soon we won't even be able to recognize the real thing when it raises it's ugly head.

As for the other knuckleheads on this thread, I'm not even going to bother replying. Especially when they manufacture their own outrage to justify hurling insults. I haven't insulted anybody and I've repeatedly said racism is horrible and that it was a poor joke. Apparently that's just not good enough, and I think that speaks to the original point of this thread on wokeness. Wokeness is devoid of any nuance and it's unhelpful.
Sensible Stephen

Mog The Almighty wrote:
As for the other knuckleheads on this thread, I'm not even going to bother replying. Especially when they manufacture their own outrage to justify hurling insults. I haven't insulted anybody and I've repeatedly said racism is horrible and that it was a poor joke. Apparently that's just not good enough, and I think that speaks to the original point of this thread on wokeness. Wokeness is devoid of any nuance and it's unhelpful.
The knucklehead is you. You have repeatedly defended racism, brushing it off as a poor joke.
Think of this as early "bro-natomy." The rumor that Asian women had sideways vaginas originated as racist humor amongst gentlemen visiting Chinese prostitutes in California brothels in the mid-1800s. The rumor was part of the larger cultural fetishizing of Asian women, and persisted through the Korean War, because some people enjoy their misogyny with a side of racism.
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

Sensible Stephen wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote: There is real racism out there, and it's ugly and horrible. This just is not it.

I didn’t even know that was a thing, I had never heard it outside of this place. The things you learn on a Sunday morning. :thumbup:
Rowdy

Post by Rowdy »

Bimboc69 wrote:Has anyone else actually read this feck n book?
What book?
Harveys

Post by Harveys »

Mog The Almighty wrote:
Zakar wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:

Yeah, I can absolutely agree with that. There's a danger it will be used to hand-wave away genuine social concerns. 100%.

Nothing has "gotten into me", I wasn't getting worked up, just making a few pretty fair points. Racism is of course a horrible and real problem and I'm not saying it's cool to joke about it, I definitely would not personally (and have not). I've just saying it's a nuanced issue and if the only appropriate response to some things is to either ignore all context and nuance and froth at the mouth with outrage or complete silence that that is just plain dumb. Soon we won't even be able to recognize the real thing when it raises it's ugly head.

:lol: Thats you. That. Is. You.

You are doing exactly the same thing your accusing the “woke activists” of doing. You’re sticking your fingers in your ears and shouting as loud as you can so not to hear a word anyone else is saying.
Sensible Stephen

Mr Mike wrote:
Sensible Stephen wrote:

I didn’t even know that was a thing, I had never heard it outside of this place. The things you learn on a Sunday morning. :thumbup:
I have been asked more than once if my eyes are shaped like this because of how I came out of my mums sideways vagina.

But according to Mog, thats not racism. Its just a joke.
Catman

Post by Catman »

Sensible Stephen wrote:
Mr Mike wrote:
Sensible Stephen wrote:

I have been asked more than once if my eyes are shaped like this because of how I came out of my mums sideways vagina.

I think you're lying. But even if you aren't, why on earth do you get so offended? It's nasty. It's not funny, or clever, and was obviously said by a very immature person, but is it really racist? seriously??

As a gawky kid with glasses at an early age, I was called all sorts of things, and teased mercilessly. It was not nice, but I simply learned to live with it. Made me a stronger person. It's bullying , but its not racism. In fact by screeching about that kind of "racism" you are only making people who dont think racism is a real problem, even more convinced.

There is still plenty of really vile, harmful, and disgusting racism perpetrated in many if not most countries in the world. Bringing up in the same breath how the white barista at Starbucks misspelled "Laquisha" just makes people like you and BLM look frivolous and "woke".
Sensible Stephen

Catman wrote:
Sensible Stephen wrote:
Mr Mike wrote:
Sensible Stephen wrote:

I think you're lying. But even if you aren't, why on earth do you get so offended? It's nasty. It's not funny, or clever, and was obviously said by a very immature person, but is it really racist? seriously??

As a gawky kid with glasses at an early age, I was called all sorts of things, and teased mercilessly. It was not nice, but I simply learned to live with it. Made me a stronger person. It's bullying , but its not racism. In fact by screeching about that kind of "racism" you are only making people who dont think racism is a real problem, even more convinced.

There is still plenty of really vile, harmful, and disgusting racism perpetrated in many if not most countries in the world. Bringing up in the same breath how the white barista at Starbucks misspelled "Laquisha" just makes people like you and BLM look frivolous and "woke".
So saying asians have sideways vaginas isn't racist?

Really?

And I am a liar because reasons?

You think I am a cry baby for pushing back at someone making racist quips.

I don't think its me who is the problem here.
Mog The Almighty

Harveys wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:
Zakar wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:

:lol: Thats you. That. Is. You.

You are doing exactly the same thing your accusing the “woke activists” of doing. You’re sticking your fingers in your ears and shouting as loud as you can so not to hear a word anyone else is saying.
:roll: Absolute utter nonsense. I'm not the one putting words in people's mouths, hurling insults and building strawmen. I even asked genuinely for an explanation as to what exactly was so offensive,and have a good history on this forum of changing my views given good reason, but was told to "f-ck off c-nt" instead.

This sideways vagina thing is so stupid it's like asking an Italian if he has spaghetti for brains or something. I mean theres only so much genuine offence one could take to this kind of "racism" without having to manufacture it. And it boggles the mind that the same people who are frothing at the mouth over this apparently think its acceptable to scream at people that they're racists and f-cking c-nts etc etc
Sensible Stephen

Mog The Almighty wrote: :roll: Absolute utter nonsense. I'm not the one putting words in people's mouths, hurling insults and building strawmen. I even asked genuinely for an explanation as to what exactly was so offensive,and have a good history on this forum of changing my views given good reason, but was told to "f-ck off c-nt" instead.

This sideways vagina thing is so stupid it's like asking an Italian if he has spaghetti for brains or something. I mean theres only so much genuine offence one could take to this kind of "racism" without having to manufacture it. And it boggles the mind that the same people who are frothing at the mouth over this apparently think its acceptable to scream at people that they're racists and f-cking c-nts etc etc
You have ignored all the explanations, you muppet.
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

Sensible Stephen wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote: :roll: Absolute utter nonsense. I'm not the one putting words in people's mouths, hurling insults and building strawmen. I even asked genuinely for an explanation as to what exactly was so offensive,and have a good history on this forum of changing my views given good reason, but was told to "f-ck off c-nt" instead.

You have ignored all the explanations, you muppet.
Mog - you have done just that. And the fact you find it stupid is, at the end of the day or the start of the day, neither here nor fúcking there because you’re one of the audience and not one of the targets.