jambanja wrote:
Ted. wrote:
Uthikoloshe wrote:
guy smiley wrote:
Streaming
to
social
media
Giving up freedoms because some people are bad is like cutting off your dick because some people rape. You have the perp in custody. Go after him.
It's not a freedom, or a right, it's a privileged, like a vehicle licence or gun ownership. Obey the fucking rules and you'll be fine, otherwise they can be taken away.
Problem is, the way the discussion is going, the privileges are being taken away, regardless of whether the rules are being obeyed or not
Apart from a few predictable loud voices on the fringe, I suspect that the mainstream of the debate is not considering across the board removal of privileges.
Magpie26

Re: Christchurch terrorist attack

Post by Magpie26 »

The Ginger Jedi wrote:
Enzedder wrote:Interesting - the stupidity of our current gun laws
Former top cop warned MPs anyone with a basic firearms licence and "sinister designs" could buy sniper rifle and punch holes through armour plated vehicles.
High-powered sniper rifles designed to fire armour-piercing rounds up to 2km can be purchased in New Zealand with the most basic firearms licence.

Military forces around the world use semi-automatic models of the .50 calibre rifles, but bolt action versions are sold by gun stores here for less than $10,000.

Videos posted on social media online show armour-piercing incendiary rounds punching through vehicle engines and concrete blocks.

Anyone who wants to purchase a restricted weapon, such as a military style semi-automatic, must give a "good reason" to police for the importation to be approved.

But the .50 calibre rifles and armour piercing rounds are available to anyone in New Zealand with a standard A-category licence.

Someone as young as 16 can get an A-category licence.

If they had "sinister designs", former police Assistant Commissioner Nicky Perry said a gunman could hit a person or vehicle from up to 2km.

"It's accurate. The armour-piercing round can go through about an inch of armour plate," Perry told MPs at the Select Committee inquiry into firearms less than two years ago.

"So those army LAVs, for example, those rounds would be punching straight through them."

The .50 calibre rifles did not feature in the final Select Committee report in 2017.
Tragically you need a disaster like this to realise the flaws in current gun control laws. The UK had it with Dunblane, the law was changed and mass shootings don't seem to exist any more. Gun enthusiasts will be up in arms but end of the day - tough.
Not sure the people of Cumbria would quite agree with this unfortunately :( .
Fully agree the changes to the UK gun laws after Dunblane took the 'high risk' weapons out of the publics hands though.
koroke hangareka

Post by koroke hangareka »

Mr Mike wrote:There are so many positive things to do with live streaming and other modern communications technologies that we aren’t going back. I have little doubt there would have been plenty of Facebook memes back in the day about the dangers of new technology like the printing press. The focus will correctly be on technical solutions to more rapidly respond to offensive material and stronger laws to punish offenders and deter.
There probably are, but the only use I see of live streaming is when my fatuous Facebook friends publish fatuous streams of themselves being fatuous. I won't miss it if it's banned.
spookly

Post by spookly »

obelixtim wrote:
Enzedder wrote:Interesting - the stupidity of our current gun laws
Former top cop warned MPs anyone with a basic firearms licence and "sinister designs" could buy sniper rifle and punch holes through armour plated vehicles.
High-powered sniper rifles designed to fire armour-piercing rounds up to 2km can be purchased in New Zealand with the most basic firearms licence.

Military forces around the world use semi-automatic models of the .50 calibre rifles, but bolt action versions are sold by gun stores here for less than $10,000.

Videos posted on social media online show armour-piercing incendiary rounds punching through vehicle engines and concrete blocks.

Anyone who wants to purchase a restricted weapon, such as a military style semi-automatic, must give a "good reason" to police for the importation to be approved.

But the .50 calibre rifles and armour piercing rounds are available to anyone in New Zealand with a standard A-category licence.

Someone as young as 16 can get an A-category licence.

If they had "sinister designs", former police Assistant Commissioner Nicky Perry said a gunman could hit a person or vehicle from up to 2km.

"It's accurate. The armour-piercing round can go through about an inch of armour plate," Perry told MPs at the Select Committee inquiry into firearms less than two years ago.

"So those army LAVs, for example, those rounds would be punching straight through them."

The .50 calibre rifles did not feature in the final Select Committee report in 2017.

You can buy a .50 cal rifle in NZ? :shock: :shock: :shock: How long has this been possible? And why weren't the cops all over it in the first place? Who needs a .50?
You can buy a .50 cal in the UK if you have the license and justification for it. IIRC there is only about 3 ranges long enough to use them.

A Steyr HS .50 BMG is less than £5k, but I'm not sure how many people convince plod they have a need or justification for a license.
https://www.sportsmanguncentre.co.uk/st ... -50-50-bmg
Chuckles1188

Post by Chuckles1188 »

Just to say that I've been hugely impressed by the reaction from ordinary kiwis since the attack. Really showcasing some of the things that make NZ so well-looked-on.

Sneaker must be going out of his mind
Deadtigers

Post by Deadtigers »

guy smiley wrote:
naki wrote:
guy smiley wrote:
Cullen wrote:
UncleFB wrote:I've been looking at some of the tweets about egg boy on a (said in hushed tones) league forum - that kid is hard core. Those right wing bogans have him in a head lock and four of them are holding him down and he's just got a calm look on his face.
Amazing from a 17 year old!

Did you hear what he said when the cops arrived?

"Here's the bacon to go with the egg"
:lol: I like this kid
:lol: Yup, instant legend. Apparently the cops laughed with him... he was taken into custody and released without charge. I don't think the Hon. Sen. Fraser Anning can expect too much sympathy from Australia's various police forces.
I am days behind because as I said earlier I didn't want to confront it. I just read Watson's tweet and Anning's press release. What in the actual phuck!! At what point does free speech become hate speech. At least ISIS don't get meal mouthed about their goal and celebrate this stuff, these guys try to act like their rare sad but still defend the ideology.
Uthikoloshe

Post by Uthikoloshe »

ISIS don't do what?
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

Dark wrote:I think people need to take a deep breath and try to avoid making new law on emotion, or in Ardern's case probably trying to beat Aussies record

The law obviously needs to be tightened, Most semis banned for normal members of the public and large mags but hastely pulled together law makes for bad law.
There is one thing that we can import from Australia that works - think it through for a second and don't get political.
Deadtigers

Post by Deadtigers »

Uthikoloshe wrote:ISIS don't do what?
They acknowledge that this is what they wanted. Alt-right whisperers and Vocal leaders are doing sorry for the deaths but you can't blame my Islamophobic and Xenophobic speeches. Constant hate speech and you want to act innocent that someone acted on your hate speech to commit a hate crime!?
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

jambanja wrote:
guy smiley wrote:
jambanja wrote:
Dark wrote:Kiwi companys pull ads from Facebook over video

Quite interesting

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/new ... d=12213886
Sky news Aus is still not being shown on Sky TV in NZ, because of Sky New’s coverage of the massacre and the live streamed footage, it has been that way since at least Sat, maybe earlier
I didn’t know that :shock:

Wondered why it wasn’t in the guide.

Good.
It seems odd that this is still on going, all the other news channels are still there, I would like to know what it was they showed and what went down, not getting much coverage, although there are other things to focus on
I watched it Friday afternoon. They basically showed the gunman's livestream minus the actual killing. You saw him storm into the Mosque, gun at the ready, about to open fire then it would cut to the next scene. Showed him changing weapons out of the boot of his vehicle. Driving from one location to another. At one stage I'm sure I heard him mutter "Well that didn't go to plan." I wondered if that was the second Mosque where the brave man fought back and chased him off.

It was really disturbing and sickening. Looked just like a Playstation first person shoot em up game. x(
eugenius

Post by eugenius »

No way would I watch that .
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

eugenius wrote:No way would I watch that .
I didn't actively seek it out. I was watching Sky news coverage of the event and they showed it. But as I said no actual shooting/killing was shown. The full live stream seen by others must be horrendous.
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

village of damned wrote:what a rubbish day.
i work in the early childhood sector, so have spent the day going round centres with other management to check on the wellbeing of our teams, and our families and whanau.
some centres better than others, we have centres where traumatic care units are in residence.
everyone in the regional management team seems to be on auto pilot at the moment :((
It's very much the mood of the city at the moment. Kia Kaha.
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

obelixtim wrote:
Fat Old Git wrote:
sewa wrote:
Fat Old Git wrote:Just been at a presentation about how the hospital coped on Friday night. I won't go into detail as it's really very harrowing, but to count our blessings we have an amazing medical community. They did, and are still doing an amazing job.
Those people are the same all over the world mate, better people than me, fair play to them
Absolutely. They had Medics from out of town turning up saying "give me some scrubs, I'm here to help".

And the wounds sound truly horrific. By the sound of it he might not have using standard ammunition, although I'm no expert there.
Soft nose ammo causes a lot of damage.
The description given to me was holes the size of the old 50 cent piece, with the bullets having broken up after entry causing massive amounts of internal damage.

The staff involved were almost certain the death toll will rise. :(
grouch

Post by grouch »

Burke's Boot wrote:
Fair to say Mr Moon lives somewhere on Cluster B Street.

Also the torrent sites such as the likes of Pirate Bay should block the video immediately as it turns up by simply searching for New Zealand.
If there's any justification for retaining MSSA 's , the elimination of this insult to manhood & humanity would be one.
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

Burke's Boot wrote:

Also the torrent sites such as the likes of Pirate Bay should block the video immediately as it turns up by simply searching for New Zealand.
No offence but your delusional if you think torrent sites like PB or others should remove this video considering everything on there for sharing is illegally obtained or recorded.

Once that video went out on the internet it can never be removed, I know for a fact its being actively shared through the likes of kiwifarms, 8ch etc

Updated photo from todays press to keep things in perspective

UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

JPNZ wrote:
Burke's Boot wrote:

No offence but your delusional if you think torrent sites like PB or others should remove this video considering everything on there for sharing is illegally obtained or recorded.

Once that video went out on the internet it can never be removed, I know for a fact its being actively shared through the likes of kiwifarms, 8ch etc

So I heard about Kiwi Farms the other day and just assumed it was a NZ farming website so was confused it was blocked in NZ, but then I discovered yesterday it's a site by a guy who's too out there for 8Chan - is that correct? Why is it called Kiwifarms?
kiweez

Post by kiweez »

UncleFB wrote:
JPNZ wrote:
Burke's Boot wrote:

So I heard about Kiwi Farms the other day and just assumed it was a NZ farming website so was confused it was blocked in NZ, but then I discovered yesterday it's a site by a guy who's too out there for 8Chan - is that correct? Why is it called Kiwifarms?
The "Kiwi" is not a reference to the NZ kiwi. It's meant to convey a sense of sick or warped humor. If I can find the quote from the guy again I will.
kiweez

Post by kiweez »

Meanwhile....pretty subdued here. But there are pockets of smiles and goodwill. Lot's of offers of small but meaningful gestures.

guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

kiweez wrote:
UncleFB wrote:
JPNZ wrote:
Burke's Boot wrote:

The "Kiwi" is not a reference to the NZ kiwi. It's meant to convey a sense of sick or warped humor. If I can find the quote from the guy again I will.
Could be angrifying...
Spoiler: show
https://www.oneangrygamer.net/2019/03/n ... deo/80039/

[quote] “Is this a joke? I’m not turning over information about my users. The person responsible for posting the video and manifesto PDF is myself.

”I feel real bad for you guys, you’ve got a quiet nation and now this attack is going to be the first thing people think of for the next 10 years when they hear the name New Zealand, but you can’t do this. Tell your superiors they’re going to make the entire country and its government look like clowns by trying to censor the Internet. You’re a small, irrelevant island nation barely more recognizable than any other nameless pacific sovereignty. You do not have the clout to eradicate a video from the Internet and you do not have the legal reach to imprison everyone whose posted it. If anyone turns over to you the information they’re asking for they’re not only cowards, but they’re f**king idiots.

[…]

“If you’re wondering, no. Kiwi Farms has nothing to do with New Zealand. Our name is a pointed jab at some of the mushmouthed autistic people we make fun of. Absolutely nothing about our community is NZ oriented.

“And I don’t give a single solitary fudge what section 50 of your faggot law say about sharing your email. fudge you and fudge your shithole country.”[/quote]
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

Yea it has nothing to do with NZ. Here is some more on Joshua Moon (kiwifarms leader/owner)
Moon is a former administrator of 8chan, the online message board where shooting accused Brenton Tarrant posted details of his sick plan, along with a 73-page manifesto, mere hours before allegedly carrying out New Zealand's deadliest terrorist attack.

Kiwi Farms, 8chan and a third online message board called Voat are all under investigation by authorities tracking Tarrant's online activities. They are popular with incels (involuntary celibates), an online subculture of men who claim they are unable to find sexual or romantic partners.

Moon — an alt-right, anti-feminist, pro-white Trump supporter who claims he set up Kiwi Farms for the "gossip and exploitation of the mentally handicapped for amusement purposes" — published the exchange with Detective Michael without bothering to hide the officer's email address. Before he founded Kiwi Farms, Moon was sacked as an administrator for 8chan for allegedly promoting paedophilia. He is notorious for his online stalking and harassment campaigns, which have featured threats to "rape, murder and dismember" his mainly female victims.

In 2016, Moon was linked to a series of online threats to harm children in Florida, where he shares a home with his mother, forcing dozens of schools into lockdown.
You have to understand outside of the normal realms of the world there are hundreds of thousands on these anonymous message boards pushing extremist views. Some of the stuff discussed is absolutely appalling...
Denirostaxidriver

Post by Denirostaxidriver »

JPNZ wrote:Yea it has nothing to do with NZ. Here is some more on Joshua Moon (kiwifarms leader/owner)
Moon is a former administrator of 8chan, the online message board where shooting accused Brenton Tarrant posted details of his sick plan, along with a 73-page manifesto, mere hours before allegedly carrying out New Zealand's deadliest terrorist attack.

Kiwi Farms, 8chan and a third online message board called Voat are all under investigation by authorities tracking Tarrant's online activities. They are popular with incels (involuntary celibates), an online subculture of men who claim they are unable to find sexual or romantic partners.

Moon — an alt-right, anti-feminist, pro-white Trump supporter who claims he set up Kiwi Farms for the "gossip and exploitation of the mentally handicapped for amusement purposes" — published the exchange with Detective Michael without bothering to hide the officer's email address. Before he founded Kiwi Farms, Moon was sacked as an administrator for 8chan for allegedly promoting paedophilia. He is notorious for his online stalking and harassment campaigns, which have featured threats to "rape, murder and dismember" his mainly female victims.

In 2016, Moon was linked to a series of online threats to harm children in Florida, where he shares a home with his mother, forcing dozens of schools into lockdown.
You have to understand outside of the normal realms of the world there are hundreds of thousands on these anonymous message boards pushing extremist views. Some of the stuff discussed is absolutely appalling...
What a f**ked up world we live in.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Denirostaxidriver wrote:
JPNZ wrote:Yea it has nothing to do with NZ. Here is some more on Joshua Moon (kiwifarms leader/owner)

What a f**ked up world we live in.

Yes... but limiting access to live streaming on social media is infringing on rights.
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

You've got to think the US authorities keep a close eye on these fuckwits? He's bound to slip up sooner or later and cross the line you'd think.
Uthikoloshe

Post by Uthikoloshe »

Never fear Guy, you can move to China. Oh wait, no you cant as they dont seem to be too fond of foreigners these days.

https://mashable.com/2017/06/23/china-b ... mgb7wK0qqI
Cullen

Post by Cullen »

kiweez wrote:Meanwhile....pretty subdued here. But there are pockets of smiles and goodwill. Lot's of offers of small but meaningful gestures.

Keep those photos coming! :)
Auckman

Post by Auckman »

grouch wrote:
Auckman wrote:Anyway, on another point, if the Crown and Attorney General cannot secure enough evidence to charge the plum under the Terrorism Suppression Act, then I will begin to wonder why the hell that law was ever passed. There is so much evidence they can get online from his ramblings, his "manifesto", the stuff on his gun just to start off with.
That would be because its a piece of kneejerk , crap legislation , whose main aim was to frighten , dis-enfranchise and divide the general populous .

The major consequence of it's enactment in almost identical form all over the world has led us inevitably to this point , where social media sponsored reactionary , violent neo-facism has killed nearly 3x more peaceful innocents than the perceived " terrorist threats ' that prompted the legislation.

:nod:
Be that as it may, the above-mentioned law defines "terrorist act" as follows:

1) An act... carried out for the purpose of advancing an ideological, political, or religious cause with the intention to induce terror in the civilian population - s2(a)
2) with the outcome of ...the death of [people] - s3(a)

Purpose = (ideological) - internet ramblings; his manifesto; the stuff written on his gun; his social media group affiliations (especially 8chan); his bloody manifesto!!
Intention = see above; especially his manifesto!
Outcome = livestream video; 50x post-mortem reports; his gun registrations; ballistics reports etc

However, as reported in the media, putting him up on terrorism charges will give him a platform to grandstand and draw the case out for months for maximum publicity.

Maybe they need to introduce a simpler piece of legislation or amend the Crimes Act to add "terrorist purposes" as an aggravating factor for murder and a sentence of life without parole.
kiweez

Post by kiweez »

Cullen wrote:
kiweez wrote:Meanwhile....pretty subdued here. But there are pockets of smiles and goodwill. Lot's of offers of small but meaningful gestures.

Keep those photos coming! :)

kiwinoz

Post by kiwinoz »

Amazing support and goodwill shown. :thumbup:
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

I've just been for a walk around the park that took me by the Dean's Ave Mosque. It's still taped off and has a heavey armed police presence. There are lots of floral tributes there as well. Around trees, on the road, the footpath, along the police tape. Candles on the foot bridge. 100's of meters of a paper chain where every link has a message written on it (from the school vigil last night I believe.). And there were lots of people bringing more flowers and tributes in.

All very moving, especially as some of them were obviously very personal ones from friends and family of the victims.

I hate what has happened. I feel ill thinking about it and tears and anger are still fighting for position just below the surface. But I don't think I've ever been prouder of my city or my country.
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

Fat Old Git wrote:I've just been for a walk around the park that took me by the Dean's Ave Mosque. It's still taped off and has a heavey armed police presence. There are lots of floral tributes there as well. Around trees, on the road, the footpath, along the police tape. Candles on the foot bridge. 100's of meters of a paper chain where every link has a message written on it (from the school vigil last night I believe.). And there were lots of people bringing more flowers and tributes in.

All very moving, especially as some of them were obviously very personal ones from friends and family of the victims.

I hate what has happened. I feel ill thinking about it and tears and anger are still fighting for position just below the surface. But I don't think I've ever been prouder of my city or my country.
A moving tribute to our city. You do Christchurch proud, FOG.
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

Fat Old Git wrote:I've just been for a walk around the park that took me by the Dean's Ave Mosque. It's still taped off and has a heavey armed police presence. There are lots of floral tributes there as well. Around trees, on the road, the footpath, along the police tape. Candles on the foot bridge. 100's of meters of a paper chain where every link has a message written on it (from the school vigil last night I believe.). And there were lots of people bringing more flowers and tributes in.

I too went for a bike ride last night in the same area around the mosque and along rolleston ave where the photos above are taken. It was incredibly moving, sooo many people paying their respects.

As sad as it was, it was a very moving experience but a sense of community and strength prevailed.

The Christchurch memorial will be held on sunday at North Hagley park between 5pm and 7pm. I think there are close to 40,000 attending already and I urge all locals to come along
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

JPNZ wrote:

I too went for a bike ride last night in the same area around the mosque and along rolleston ave where the photos above are taken. It was incredibly moving, sooo many people paying their respects.

As sad as it was, it was a very moving experience but a sense of community and strength prevailed.

The Christchurch memorial will be held on sunday at North Hagley park between 5pm and 7pm. I think there are close to 40,000 attending already and I urge all locals to come along
:thumbup: :thumbup:
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

:thumbup:
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

AD345

Post by AD345 »

The Givealittle page is now up to $6,400,000
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

I'm going to miss the memorial as I will be at the other end of the country.

There's is an Islamic community center about a block away from our house. It had armed police outside it last night, and when we left the city on Friday there was a road block near it with armed police as they were obviously locking down any potential targets. I noticed today that there are flowers outside it as the local community are showing their support.

I'm somewhat in awe of the Muslim segment of our community. Every interview I've seen has spoken of love and forgiveness. Sadness, but not anger. Better people than me.
Auckman

Post by Auckman »

Trump asked the PM what she needed; that whatever she and NZ authorities required, the US will help.

I reckon NZ needs to put that kiwifarms prick on the terrorist watch-list for aiding and abetting terrorism on the net, and anyone else on that forum sharing the video.

Once that is done, NZ should seek their extradition to NZ to be charged under the "do not share the video" laws and then jail them for up to 14 years.
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

Auckman wrote:Trump asked the PM what she needed; that whatever she and NZ authorities required, the US will help.

I reckon NZ needs to put that kiwifarms prick on the terrorist watch-list for aiding and abetting terrorism on the net, and anyone else on that forum sharing the video.

Once that is done, NZ should seek their extradition to NZ to be charged under the "do not share the video" laws and then jail them for up to 14 years.
Due to that prick and his ilk I've decided we need a Mossad type organisation who could go in and smash up that little shit's place, give him a crack while they're at it and make it look random.
Flockwitt

Post by Flockwitt »

Fat Old Git wrote:I'm going to miss the memorial as I will be at the other end of the country.

There's is an Islamic community center about a block away from our house. It had armed police outside it last night, and when we left the city on Friday there was a road block near it with armed police as they were obviously locking down any potential targets. I noticed today that there are flowers outside it as the local community are showing their support.

I'm somewhat in awe of the Muslim segment of our community. Every interview I've seen has spoken of love and forgiveness. Sadness, but not anger. Better people than me.
In that vein I shall post the story of my daughter friend's mother who was killed on Friday. The surviving child is one of the most loverly people you could possible meet. As smart as a button, all she wants to do with her life is become a doctor so she can help others. Her father as you would read has been given the rough end of the stick from life.

It has been an inspiration to see how the children have rallied and helped one another. They have faced the circumstances better than I.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/arti ... d=12214067