Chat Forum
It is currently Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:37 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:55 pm 

Sandstorm wrote:
Plato'sCave wrote:
Munster-fogs wrote:

What sort of commie shit is this?!

Go one step further and nationalise them. Close off all their existing routes to other airlines and then still run it at a loss. THAT'S the Corbyn.....sorry Commie way.

Why would I want one step further? Just let it fail. Or shall we just bail out every business that’s feeling the pinch?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:00 pm 

Plato'sCave wrote:

Why would I want one step further? Just let it fail. Or shall we just bail out every business that’s feeling the pinch?

No, we shouldn't. However Flybe do provide flights on routes to regional airports in areas that aren't well-served by anyone else. These areas eg. Channel Islands, NE, SW and Wales need the visitors (both business and leisure) and it also cuts down on over-crowding on trains or motorways.

There's a case for sensible government take-overs and this is one IMO.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:03 pm 

Sandstorm wrote:
Plato'sCave wrote:

No, we shouldn't. However Flybe do provide flights on routes to regional airports in areas that aren't well-served by anyone else. These areas eg. Channel Islands, NE, SW and Wales need the visitors (both business and leisure) and it also cuts down on over-crowding on trains or motorways.

While I agree that it should be on a case by case basis and there can be reasonable exceptions anytime Labour suggest doing anything like this they get torn apart by the Tory led media

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:09 pm 

More than reasonable case for some kind of support particularly as its a cash flow problem - and it looks like its going to be a decision to allow it to postpone its APD debt to HMRC which is conditional on private investors pumping cash in which seems reasonable.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:11 pm 

Saint wrote:
Steamin Beamin wrote:
How likely is it they're about to go completely tits up? I use them to get home to Edinburgh quite a lot and I've got flights to Munich booked with them in July :?

This looks like they've just had a major operational SNAFU - a new timetable that failed to take into account previously booked time off that was worked out against the old timetable

As a result not enough pilots and flight crew in the right places

Since the takeover they have completely changed the crew rostering schedules

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:50 pm 

Sandstorm wrote:
Plato'sCave wrote:

If they’re not profitable then bin them. We don’t have a magic money tree FFS.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:16 pm 

Sandstorm wrote:
Plato'sCave wrote:

Alternatively let them go pop and offer inducements to BA to run the loss making routes.

I suspect the previous bailout was less to do with helping a regional airline , and more to do with keeping their valuable Heathrow landing slots away from the competition ! Some LHR slots are actually worth more than the aircraft themselves.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:32 pm 

backrow wrote:
Sandstorm wrote:
Plato'sCave wrote:

Alternatively let them go pop and offer inducements to BA to run the loss making routes.

I suspect the previous bailout was less to do with helping a regional airline , and more to do with keeping their valuable Heathrow landing slots away from the competition ! Some LHR slots are actually worth more than the aircraft themselves.

I suspect most of Flybe’s Heathrow slots are linked to PSO routes so not available if you don’t fly that route. Also BA got out of the regional game when they sold BA Connect to Flybe. I also doubt BA have the right aircraft or even inclination to fly Southampton Glasgow or Exeter Newcastle.

Unlike other airlines that went bust like Monarch or Thomas Cooke, Flybe are vital for regional connectivity within the UK. I think the government are right to offer some support. Also scrapping APD on routes between regional airports sounds a good idea, maybe just leave it on those connecting to Heathrow.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:58 pm 

OhNo wrote:
backrow wrote:
Sandstorm wrote:
Plato'sCave wrote:

I suspect most of Flybe’s Heathrow slots are linked to PSO routes so not available if you don’t fly that route. Also BA got out of the regional game when they sold BA Connect to Flybe. I also doubt BA have the right aircraft or even inclination to fly Southampton Glasgow or Exeter Newcastle.

Unlike other airlines that went bust like Monarch or Thomas Cooke, Flybe are vital for regional connectivity within the UK. I think the government are right to offer some support. Also scrapping APD on routes between regional airports sounds a good idea, maybe just leave it on those connecting to Heathrow.

He is speaking as a clueless londoner, not that usually stops yeeb. Last thing we need is BA in a monopolistic position within the UK, it is bad enough now that they will have little competition to London.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:01 pm 

Lorthern Nights wrote:
OhNo wrote:
backrow wrote:
Sandstorm wrote:
Plato'sCave wrote:

He is speaking as a clueless londoner, not that usually stops yeeb. Last thing we need is BA in a monopolistic position within the UK, it is bad enough now that they will have little competition to London.

Are be fair now, I just picked BA as an example of a larger company, could have said virgin or easy or Ryanair etc
Was just trying to illustrate how loss makers could be taken up with the right inducements

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:04 pm 

Virgin are part of the consortium that bought flybe, Ryanair and easy aren’t going to fly Flybe’s routes or frequencies on them. There is a reason flybe use prop jobs under 100 seats and not 737s or a320ies.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:22 pm 

That begs the question as to how many UK companies are out there that could take take over FlyBE given Stobart are part of the current owners ?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:24 pm 

OhNo wrote:
backrow wrote:
Sandstorm wrote:
Plato'sCave wrote:

Apparently most of FlyBe's Heathrow slots are actually BA slots on long term lease to Flybe, and are NOT restricted should they revert to BA.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:24 pm 

camroc1 wrote:
That begs the question as to how many UK companies are out there that could take take over FlyBE given Stobart are part of the current owners ?

Wetherspoons

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:43 pm 

Plato'sCave wrote:
Sandstorm wrote:
Plato'sCave wrote:

If they’re not profitable then bin them. We don’t have a magic money tree FFS.

All those communists demanding private investors match a tax delay.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:48 pm 

Without Flybe many of the smaller airports in the UK will struggle.
Regional airports are already being squeezed by Heathrow/Gatwick and it can only get worse.

Exeter is 30 mins away from me and used to be really handy for flying to the Continent, the decline of Flybe means longer journeys to Bristol or Southampton and for trips further afield you have no other option than Heathrow.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:18 pm 

Glaston wrote:
Without Flybe many of the smaller airports in the UK will struggle.
Regional airports are already being squeezed by Heathrow/Gatwick and it can only get worse.

Exeter is 30 mins away from me and used to be really handy for flying to the Continent, the decline of Flybe means longer journeys to Bristol or Southampton and for trips further afield you have no other option than Heathrow.

Southampton is only Flybe, you'll be traveling a lot further than here to fly if they go under.
Ryanair go from Bournemouth, but it's only open half the week and the destinations are limited.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:32 am 

Flybmi ceased operations in 2019. Ryanair cut back the UK internal flights. Very few operators now.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:12 am 

Leinster in London wrote:
Flybmi ceased operations in 2019. Ryanair cut back the UK internal flights. Very few operators now.

Is Flybe not what used to be BMI and British Midland before that? Essentially a company that goes bust every few years?

KLM are probably licking their lips. They've already turned Amsterdam Schiphol into a continental Heathrow with flights to all parts of Britain (even Inverness etc.); they'll happily add the last remaining runways-on-farmland to their roster.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:33 am 

clydecloggie wrote:

Is Flybe not what used to be BMI and British Midland before that? Essentially a company that goes bust every few years?

KLM are probably licking their lips. They've already turned Amsterdam Schiphol into a continental Heathrow with flights to all parts of Britain (even Inverness etc.); they'll happily add the last remaining runways-on-farmland to their roster.

Nah, BMI was bought by BA back in 2012 and their domestic operations were simply shut down. Flybe started life as Jersey European Airways, and supposedly there's work in progress to rebrand them as Virgin Connect

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:39 am 

Saint wrote:
clydecloggie wrote:

Nah, BMI was bought by BA back in 2012 and their domestic operations were simply shut down. Flybe started life as Jersey European Airways, and supposedly there's work in progress to rebrand them as Virgin Connect

Flybe bought Eastern Airways in the last few years as well didnt they?

I did enjoy hearing the Kirsty Blackman from the SNP on the radio this morning asked about government support for this and would they support it. Her answer was no because of their climate change promises etc (along withthe usual we need the powers to decide bollocks) but i wonder how the remote highlands and islands feel about this as flybe going bust will make them even more remote and i can hardly see it being a vote winner and doesnt exactly paint them in the best light of looking out for the whole of scotland as opposed to the doleys in Glasgow.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:43 am 

Lorthern Nights wrote:
Saint wrote:
clydecloggie wrote:

I did enjoy hearing the Kirsty Blackman from the SNP on the radio this morning asked about government support for this and would they support it. Her answer was no because of their climate change promises etc (along withthe usual we need the powers to decide bollocks) but i wonder how the remote highlands and islands feel about this as flybe going bust will make them even more remote and i can hardly see it being a vote winner and doesnt exactly paint them in the best light of looking out for the whole of scotland as opposed to the doleys in Glasgow.

Are the islands not serviced by LoganAir now, which split from Flybe a few years back? Or is that still Flybe but just rebranded to please the Saltire-lickers?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:49 am 

Lorthern Nights wrote:
Saint wrote:
clydecloggie wrote:

Nope.

Eastern exists, but there's some sort of partnership between the two of them to directly challenge Loganair. up in Scotland and the Hebrides. This was to replace Loganair who they used to partner with

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:00 am 

Saint wrote:
Lorthern Nights wrote:
Saint wrote:
clydecloggie wrote:

Nope.

Eastern exists, but there's some sort of partnership between the two of them to directly challenge Loganair. up in Scotland and the Hebrides. This was to replace Loganair who they used to partner with

Ah ok, couldnt remember how it all shaked out.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:24 pm 

...and gone.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:30 pm 

Going to hit a lot places hard, loads of internal UK routes gone.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:30 pm 

Southampton airport is f**ked.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:33 pm 

Belfast City fairly fúcked as well.

O'Leary will be rubbing his hands with glee at the opportunity.

"How much will you pay Ryanair to service your airport ?".

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:33 pm 

Nolanator wrote:

And Exeter

And Belfast City

And Leeds-Bradford

And East Midlands

etc.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:45 pm 

earl the beaver wrote:
Nolanator wrote:

And Exeter

And Belfast City

And Leeds-Bradford

And East Midlands

etc.

Yep, true true. Lot of jobs all over.

Looking around, Ryanair won't move in here as they've a small hub in Bournemouth. Similarly, they're in Belfast international, so won't do anything for City.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:54 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
earl the beaver wrote:
Nolanator wrote:

And Exeter

And Belfast City

And Leeds-Bradford

And East Midlands

etc.

Looking around, Ryanair won't move in here as they've a small hub in Bournemouth. Similarly, they're in Belfast international, so won't do anything for City.

When airport owners come knocking on O'Leary's door he is going to explain exactly what is required for Ryanair to start operating from their airport. The only thought given to the existing nearby one will be as a benchmark to better.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:00 am 

My parents were flying ou to me Cardiff to Dublin tomorrow to see the grand kids. What a total bollox. :evil:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:03 am 

Never heard of them, but their website has been taken down now.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:13 am 

Nolanator wrote:
earl the beaver wrote:
Nolanator wrote:

And Exeter

And Belfast City

And Leeds-Bradford

And East Midlands

etc.

When airport owners come knocking on O'Leary's door he is going to explain exactly what is required for Ryanair to start operating from their airport. The only thought given to the existing nearby one will be as a benchmark to better.

They aren’t going to be knocking on O’Leary’s door, Loganair, Stobart and Eastern are going to be a lot more popular.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:19 am 

OhNo wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
earl the beaver wrote:
Nolanator wrote:

And Exeter

And Belfast City

And Leeds-Bradford

And East Midlands

etc.

They aren’t going to be knocking on O’Leary’s door, Loganair, Stobart and Eastern are going to be a lot more popular.

Stobart probably the favourites as they run AL regional services and could have some IAG heft behind them.

Regional flights in Europe, without government subsidy, is a difficult business, competing with both road and rail as well. Routes too short and 'planes too small.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:17 am 

Well that’s my trip to Cardiff fooked :x

Hopefully get my money back through Amex but I’m buggered if I know how I will get there now.

Probably stuffed by Corona anyway

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:57 am 

As a wider thing the treehuggers are going to finish flying off. Get used to boats and rail.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:04 am 

Boris Broken Britain

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:52 am 

do any of those regional routes actually make money ?
if not I can't see o Leary or whoever stepping in without some bunce from the govt, either directly like grants or more likely huge tax concessions aka bribes. On the face of it Fly-be's biggest assets were its Heathrow slots rather than its routes (if Southampton does have 95% of its flights then I can't imagine its expecially competitively priced)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:05 am 

If there a profitable business that can be run on these routes than I am sure someone will pick up the plane leases and other stuff the administrators will be flogging.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next