Chat Forum
It is currently Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:20 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:17 am 

Lovely. This is why neither wearing nor defending or apologising for the hijab in privileged Western societies is a good idea.

In other parts of the world there are women suffering hugely to fight against that blatant symbol of ultra conservative sexism.

Quote:
After two trials described by Amnesty International as “grossly unfair,” Iranian human rights lawyer Nasrin Sotoudeh has been sentenced to a total of 38 years in prison and 148 lashes.

Sotoudeh, who has dedicated her life to defending Iranian women prosecuted for removing their hijabs in public, has been in the crosshairs of Iran’s theocratic government for years. In 2010, she was convicted of conspiring to harm state security and served half of a six-year sentence. Then, in June of last year, she was rearrested on an array of dubious charges. Tried in secret, details of her ordeal have often come via her husband, Reza Khandan, who wrote of her new, much harsher sentence on his Facebook page on Monday.

Sotoudeh was ultimately charged with seven crimes and given the maximum sentence for all of them. Five additional years were added from a 2016 case in which she was convicted in absentia. The total 38-year sentence was severe even by Iranian standards — a country often accused of human rights abuses, particularly involving women. Observers say it may signal a newly hardline approach to political dissent. Last week, a radical cleric linked to mass executions in the 1980s was appointed head of the Islamic Republic’s judiciary.

https://womenintheworld.com/2019/03/11/ ... 48-lashes/

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:58 am 

Mog The Almighty wrote:
Lovely. This is why neither wearing nor defending or apologising for the hijab in privileged Western societies is a good idea.

In other parts of the world there are women suffering hugely to fight against that blatant symbol of ultra conservative sexism.

Quote:
After two trials described by Amnesty International as “grossly unfair,” Iranian human rights lawyer Nasrin Sotoudeh has been sentenced to a total of 38 years in prison and 148 lashes.

Sotoudeh, who has dedicated her life to defending Iranian women prosecuted for removing their hijabs in public, has been in the crosshairs of Iran’s theocratic government for years. In 2010, she was convicted of conspiring to harm state security and served half of a six-year sentence. Then, in June of last year, she was rearrested on an array of dubious charges. Tried in secret, details of her ordeal have often come via her husband, Reza Khandan, who wrote of her new, much harsher sentence on his Facebook page on Monday.

Sotoudeh was ultimately charged with seven crimes and given the maximum sentence for all of them. Five additional years were added from a 2016 case in which she was convicted in absentia. The total 38-year sentence was severe even by Iranian standards — a country often accused of human rights abuses, particularly involving women. Observers say it may signal a newly hardline approach to political dissent. Last week, a radical cleric linked to mass executions in the 1980s was appointed head of the Islamic Republic’s judiciary.

F u c k I n g h e l l ! Utter bastards. 148 lashes to boot - how will that not kill her?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:11 pm 

Unless they stop short of the total it very well could and is possibly designed to. At the very least 148 proper lashes would leave her flayed to the bone.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:14 pm 

sockwithaticket wrote:
Unless they stop short of the total it very well could and is possibly designed to. At the very least 148 proper lashes would leave her flayed to the bone.

Last time I checked, you don't get all the lashes at once.

Unless that was the sharing, caring republic of Saudi Arabia.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:20 pm 

Utterly shameful, despicably cruel and unfathomable on so many levels.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:22 pm 

All cultures are equal.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:28 pm 

bimboman wrote:
All cultures are equal.

Which particular reaction are you hoping for here, Bimbo?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:29 pm 

I wish the outraged generation of the West would spend more time protesting in these countries. Puts it in perspective. There are some truly despicable nations, Islamic and otherwise treating anyone who speaks out against conservative view with more or less death sentences

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:31 pm 

Gwenno wrote:
bimboman wrote:
All cultures are equal.

It’s a simple point Gwenno. This type of thing should bring more action than it does, the same issue of course applies to the Saudis and other regimes around the world. We all have to pretend why not.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:31 pm 

The Iranian government/authorities/judiciary/whatever are awful.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:33 pm 

Nolanator wrote:

And everybody else is just following orders.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:52 pm 

bimboman wrote:
Gwenno wrote:
bimboman wrote:
All cultures are equal.

It’s a simple point Gwenno. This type of thing should bring more action than it does, the same issue of course applies to the Saudis and other regimes around the world. We all have to pretend why not.

I see. Fair enough. It is outrageous, and she is braver than me.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:59 pm 

Any rule 1? Preferably pre-lashing but i am not too fussy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:30 pm 

Mog The Almighty wrote:

Quote:

This is definitely nothing but a good thing. Only good things will happen now. This is a positive step forward.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:23 pm 

HighKingLeinster wrote:

Age 56

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:27 pm 

Not bad for 56 tbf

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:29 pm 

I assume Jacinda will be wearing a headscarf in sympathy?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:39 pm 

Is that a criminal law punishment?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:45 pm 

bessantj wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:

Quote:

This is definitely nothing but a good thing. Only good things will happen now. This is a positive step forward.

If we didn't know better we'd be going for a regime change here. I think we need to do things differently now, we need to bring Iran in out of the cold, much as it rankles. Isolating them appears to playing into the hard liners hands.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:50 pm 

Mog The Almighty wrote:

Religion is bollocks. Control of the masses especially the women.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:53 pm 

bimboman wrote:
Gwenno wrote:
bimboman wrote:
All cultures are equal.

Maybe because your Govt has spent decades crawling up their arses because of oil interests?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:57 pm 

bimboman wrote:
Nolanator wrote:

And everybody else is just following orders.

I don't think everyone is. The lady in question clearly wasn't.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:00 pm 

Kudos to the boardies so far for simply condemning this nonsense. I don't think it would have been the same a few years ago. There would have been some stupid argument about "not all muslims" or something dumb.

Liberal progressives (and I count myself as one) have largely turned their brain off on this issue. For example:

These religious costumes for women are simply not intended to be sexy and flaunting a woman's beauty (and she is undoubtedly sexy and beautiful). I guess it's progress of a kind but it's also pretty off-putting when you consider what people in less privileged societies have to deal with in their fight against this nonsense.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:06 pm 

Mog The Almighty wrote:
There would have been some stupid argument about "not all muslims" or something dumb.

Well obviously not all muslims, but definitely these muslims.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:11 pm 

bessantj wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:
There would have been some stupid argument about "not all muslims" or something dumb.

Well obviously not all muslims, but definitely these muslims.

It's a theocratic government which is a real shame considering by all accounts Iran is a beautiful and richly cultured place. From my understanding, most young Iranians hate the theocracy and Iran was a very different place before the Mullahs took over.

This is an example of why I don't like religion, and especially not organized, conservative patriarchal religion.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:15 pm 

Torquemada 1420 wrote:
bimboman wrote:
Gwenno wrote:
bimboman wrote:
All cultures are equal.

Maybe because your Govt has spent decades crawling up their arses because of oil interests?

Yeah it’s only the UK government doing that. The French relationship with Iran is deeply horrid btw.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:10 pm 

Mog The Almighty wrote:
Kudos to the boardies so far for simply condemning this nonsense. I don't think it would have been the same a few years ago. There would have been some stupid argument about "not all muslims" or something dumb.

Liberal progressives (and I count myself as one) have largely turned their brain off on this issue. For example:

These religious costumes for women are simply not intended to be sexy and flaunting a woman's beauty (and she is undoubtedly sexy and beautiful). I guess it's progress of a kind but it's also pretty off-putting when you consider what people in less privileged societies have to deal with in their fight against this nonsense.

You've defo toned down your anti muslim shite though

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:41 pm 

No, that's not accurate. Five years ago this thread would have been a ten page shit-fight about racism fueled by nonsense apologetics.

Most importantly, I have never been "anti Muslim" any more than I've been "anti Catholic" or whatever. It's the doctrine that I've always been against, not the people. I've always said the biggest victims of Islamic ideology are Muslims - especially Muslim women.

I think the difference between now and six or seven years ago is that everyone else has realized, even if just quietly that an ultra-conservative, patriarchal ideology actually has little to do with a progressive, secular world view. There's nothing about conservative Islam that makes it more excusable than conservative Catholicism or any other iron-aged ideology. "It's foreign so you're a bigot if you criticize it" cuts the mustard a bit less than in did half a decade or so ago. Which is progress.

There's still along way to go though. If Christians or Buddhists (or whoever you want to box) were dressing women up in black bags with slits for eyes in the streets on London there would be widespread outrage.

Last edited by Mog The Almighty on Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:58 pm 

Evolution will weed out the idiots. https://www.y-oman.com/2020/03/coronavi ... in-mosque/

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:01 pm 

Torquemada 1420 wrote:
bimboman wrote:
Gwenno wrote:
bimboman wrote:
All cultures are equal.

So has yours and most of the west. Which is depressing for all the people.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:12 pm 

HighKingLeinster wrote:

:lol:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:13 pm 

Nail um up, nail some SENSE INTO THEM.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:49 pm 

Rowdy wrote:
I assume Jacinda will be wearing a headscarf in sympathy?

Yep , also she will harness the power of the head tilt and concerned face . Possibly some hugs too

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:43 pm 

Terrible news. There are some truly amazing heroes, and Nasrin Sotoudeh is certainly one. The courage it takes to face the people she has been confronting is just above human average strength. I don't how many of us would ever find that strength and courage.

I feel deeply sadden by the news and revolted. I spent half of my time in 2016 in Iran, and I can testify that people in the middle and upper class only want more freedom, want to get rid of the corrupt theocratic regime, and (for Bimbo and the likes), this includes practicing Muslims who told me "when religion and politics mix, this never gives a good result".

Unfortunately, the current US stance on Iran has deeply undermined the progressive movements in the regime. Some people argue - and may be with merit - that there is no such thing as a progressive Mullah and that Rohani is an hypocrite. They may be right. But during my time there, I have seen people active in several ministries, who were fighting from the inside to try to change thing and had great hopes in the JCPOA. I have met with lawyers and politicians who have done time in prison, and saw the back of an 70 years old lawyer showing the cicatrices of the whip. These people nonetheless worked in the Rohani/Zariff teams because they hoped in possible changes. I know that some of them have fallen out of grace now, as the leaders of the government have made a 180 degrees turn to try to survive under the pressure of the most conservatives. I had hopes for Iran, but those hopes have died with the developments following the death of the JCPOA at the hands of the american government.

Now, the only thing that could happen for this people, and which is the Trump's administration's agenda, is for a massive revolution to break out, to overthrow the current regime. I guess the US must be pumping funds secretly to support the opposition, and help them prepare for such revolution. I hope so. I hope there is a strategy for this country which is returning back to its darker hours.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:44 pm 

Clive wrote:
Nail um up, nail some SENSE INTO THEM.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:45 pm 

Derwyn wrote:
HighKingLeinster wrote:

Would you behave like this if we were talking about a UK soldier who had fallen into the hands of talibans or other nutcases?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:22 pm 

TheFrog wrote:
Derwyn wrote:
HighKingLeinster wrote:

Would you behave like this if we were talking about a UK soldier who had fallen into the hands of talibans or other nutcases?

No he wouldn't, but he's a complete piece of shit and HKL's an edgelord.