SL bombings

All things Rugby
Fat Old Git

Re: SL bombings

Post by Fat Old Git »

Does anyone really think the use of "Easter Worshipers ", a simple phrase that quickly identifies the victims as Christians attending a church to celebrate Easter, was a calculated insult against Christians? Seriously?

These horrible attacks are offensive enough with having to try and look for more to satisfy some wider persecution complex or to try and score some political points.
A5D5E5

Post by A5D5E5 »

Fat Old Git wrote:Does anyone really think the use of "Easter Worshipers ", a simple phrase that quickly identifies the victims as Christians attending a church to celebrate Easter, was a calculated insult against Christians? Seriously?

These horrible attacks are offensive enough with having to try and look for more to satisfy some wider persecution complex or to try and score some political points.
Social media means that almost any statement from "the other side" will be misinterpreted (often wilfully) by enough people to make it "a thing". It is why politics is so poisonous now all around the world.
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

Sri Lanka attacks: Death toll revised down by about 100 to about 253, the health ministry says.

It has blamed a calculation error.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-48059328

How utterly incompetent.
Turbogoat

Post by Turbogoat »

LandOTurk wrote:Sri Lanka attacks: Death toll revised down by 'about 100' to "about 253, the health ministry says.

How utterly incompetent.
Youwhatnow?

I guess that's good news... I guess. Absolutely no excuse for that type of error.
flaggETERNAL

Post by flaggETERNAL »

bimboman wrote:My extremely catholic family never referred to “Easter worship “ at any point in my life.
Same here. We do use Ëaster Mass" though. It did seem weird they kept saying Ëaster worshippers" tbh.
Harden up!!!

Post by Harden up!!! »

Turbogoat wrote:
Dark wrote:
Lemoentjie wrote:Of course it's nothing compared to the disgusting bombings, but no-one 'worships Easter'. No one held back from calling the horrible Christchurch attack an attack on Muslims (which it was). Likewise, this is an attack on Christians, not 'Easter worshippers'.

There is a common theme with both tbf
If Obama had called them Christians, the same people would be wailing that he didn't even know they were celebrating Easter, because he's so ignorant of Christianity because he's probably a secret muslim.
Even if he had said christians worshiping easter he would of gotten into hot water, theres a group of people who are insulted by the fact he breaths air. A whole lot of much do do about nothing, something horrible happens like this and they are up in arms about something so petty its pathetic.
Harden up!!!

Post by Harden up!!! »

LandOTurk wrote:Sri Lanka attacks: Death toll revised down by about 100 to about 253, the health ministry says.

How utterly incompetent.
Oh well at least they got closer to the actual death toll than trump did.................
Sinkers

Post by Sinkers »

Recent Note from Tanglin Rugby Club:

Dear fellow rugby clubs and rugby friends,
Firstly, on their behalf a huge thank you for your messages of support and condolences for the Nicholson family which we are collating. It’s at times like these that our rugby community here in Singapore and beyond becomes so important in pulling together to help those affected. The Nicholson family has been an integral part of TRC and the wider Singapore rugby community for several years and many of you will have met both Ben and Anita and watched Alex and Annabel play. Anita was head of social activities at TRC, a team mum to many and an organiser of charity events for the broader rugby world; Alex (U14s) and Annabel (U12T and Valkyries) were fantastic kids and rugby role models, both growing up at the club. Our hearts go out to Ben and family and all those affected by last weekend’s bombings.
We are assured that Ben is well supported on all fronts and has family with him in Sri Lanka. Here in Singapore, schools and their counselling teams have been supporting the many children affected, led by Dulwich College (Singapore) where Alex and Annabel were pupils. At TRC a counsellor has advised our parents and coaches on communicating with our children and handling their questions while also grieving ourselves, do let me know if you would like access to these resources.
In co-ordination with many parties, here is an update on some imminent activities for us all to come together in memory of those lost:
▪ There will be Books of Condolence for the Nicholsons in place at the TRC Club room at Turf City pitches from this Sunday morning onwards, feel free to drop by at any time to leave messages for Ben and family (our groundsman can provide access if locked). Books of Condolence are also already in place at Dulwich College (Singapore).
▪ Other than U14s, JRCS league matches will proceed this weekend, there will be a minute silence before each league match for the Nicholsons and all victims of the Sri Lanka bombings. Thank you to JRCS.
▪ TRC U18 girls and TRC U15 boys will go ahead with their scheduled curtain-raisers before Asia Pacific Dragons first home match in Singapore on Sunday 28th at Queenstown Stadium, curtain raisers kick off at 1pm, AP Dragons at 3pm.
▪ (AP Dragons players will be wearing black arm bands, post pads will be TRC branded for the day and there will be a minute silence before the main match. Referees will also be dressed in TRC club colours as a tribute to Alex who was about to start his referee course. Thank you to all involved for these gestures of support.)
▪ Global Rapid Rugby, the organisers of the game, have generously confirmed that all U14s and younger will be given free entrance to the AP Dragons game to encourage as many junior players as possible to come together on Sunday.
▪ WE WOULD LIKE TO EXTEND AN INVITE TO THE WHOLE RUGBY COMMUNITY IN SINGAPORE TO JOIN US AT QUEENSTOWN FOR THIS MATCH ON SUNDAY, DRESSED IN RESPECTIVE RUGBY CLUB OR SCHOOL COLOURS AS THEY WISH

We will keep you updated on further events and activities, including donations to any causes, as directed by Ben and family.
On behalf of the Nicholsons and TRC, thank you to everyone for your support.
Together in rugby,
Harden up!!!

Post by Harden up!!! »

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(
Sinkers

Post by Sinkers »

Minutes silence at our U8s and 9s friendlies this morning was a bit difficult to handle.
Turbogoat

Post by Turbogoat »

Sinkers wrote:Minutes silence at our U8s and 9s friendlies this morning was a bit difficult to handle.
That must be tough as hell. Hope the whole community can help one another work through it all. Condolences.
Varsity Way

Post by Varsity Way »

SL have banned face coverings in public, in the wake of this atrocity.

Would never happen in the UK.
Harden up!!!

Post by Harden up!!! »

Varsity Way wrote:SL have banned face coverings in public, in the wake of this atrocity.

was that something that was used by any of the bombers?
Plato'sCave

Post by Plato'sCave »

Harden up!!! wrote:
Varsity Way wrote:SL have banned face coverings in public, in the wake of this atrocity.

I couldn’t find anything referenced in relation to this atrocity, but face coverings have often been used by terrorists to hinder security operations, it seems like a good approach to me.
Harden up!!!

Post by Harden up!!! »

Plato'sCave wrote:
Harden up!!! wrote:

I couldn’t find anything referenced in relation to this atrocity, but face coverings have often been used by terrorists to hinder security operations, it seems like a good approach to me.
Yeah in terms of security it seems like a good move, Though I doubt there are that many in SL who go for the full face covering?
Plato'sCave

Post by Plato'sCave »

Harden up!!! wrote:
Plato'sCave wrote:
Harden up!!! wrote:

Yeah in terms of security it seems like a good move, Though I doubt there are that many in SL who go for the full face covering?
There shouldn’t be much opposition to such a stipulation then.
Harden up!!!

Post by Harden up!!! »

Plato'sCave wrote:
Harden up!!! wrote:
Plato'sCave wrote:
Harden up!!! wrote:

There shouldn’t be much opposition to such a stipulation then.
Maybe from pervs who want to use the ladies bathroom? Or is that comment offensive to crossdressers?
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

Harden up!!! wrote:
Plato'sCave wrote:
Harden up!!! wrote:

They certainly exist - a week or so ago I saw quite a few women (NB an assumption only) in the full all-black ninja regalia.