Total votes: 223

bimboman

Re: Greta Thunberg

Post by bimboman »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:38 pm
bimboman wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:11 pm
BokJock wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:08 pm What a stupid point to make Bimbo

Really stupid stuff

What ? Whether she is a mouthpiece or it’s all her ? I’d say that’s rather important if we’re going back to the Stone Age on her say so.
That is either an intentional lie, and such a bad one it's not fooling anyone, or bimbot seriously has had his brains truly scrambled. Pick one, they're the only two options.

Indeed. The idea that her demands are achievable without a serious change to how people live and in many cases reversing life expectancy and absolute poverty advances wouldn’t have crossed your brain. Which is a bit sad .
Mog The Almighty

Post by Mog The Almighty »

bimboman wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:00 pm

Really stupid stuff

What ? Whether she is a mouthpiece or it’s all her ? I’d say that’s rather important if we’re going back to the Stone Age on her say so.
That is either an intentional lie, and such a bad one it's not fooling anyone, or bimbot seriously has had his brains truly scrambled. Pick one, they're the only two options.

Indeed. The idea that her demands are achievable without a serious change to how people live and in many cases reversing life expectancy and absolute poverty advances wouldn’t have crossed your brain. Which is a bit sad .
It's stupid stuff mate. It's not "her ideas". It's what the world's leading experts, all over the world, are saying we simply must do or the consequences will be far, far worse. Secondly, it is achievable without reversing life expectancy and poverty advances. Even the world's leading economists are in large agreement that it's the best way forwards.

It's useless talking about it with you though. I'm sure you're a good guy, I'd happily have a beer with you if we ever met (as long as we avoided this subject), but you've really had all your wires crossed and your head scrambled up on this issue. Literally the only ones who are against it are politicans with short-term election agendas and (also largely funded by) fossil fuel corporations ... and everyone in the public they can fool with their BS. But I don't expect to ever change your mind on it. We could talk rugby, cooking and cars instead.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:23 pm

Really stupid stuff

It's stupid stuff mate. It's not "her ideas". It's what the world's leading experts, all over the world, are saying we simply must do or the consequences will be far, far worse. Secondly, it is achievable without reversing life expectancy and poverty advances. Even the world's leading economists are in large agreement that it's the best way forwards.

It's useless talking about it with you though. I'm sure you're a good guy, I'd happily have a beer with you if we ever met (as long as we avoided this subject), but you've really had all your wires crossed and your head scrambled up on this issue. Literally the only ones who are against it are politicans with short-term election agendas and (also largely funded by) fossil fuel corporations ... and everyone in the public they can fool with their BS. But I don't expect to ever change your mind on it. We could talk rugby, cooking and cars instead.

If you’re saying that the scientists aren’t having a discussion between carbon zero in 5 or 50 years you’d be completely dishonest.

The demands from Greta aren’t a scientific consensus at all. This is also true.
Mog The Almighty

bimboman wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:28 pm
Mog The Almighty wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:23 pm

If you’re saying that the scientists aren’t having a discussion between carbon zero in 5 or 50 years you’d be completely dishonest.

The demands from Greta aren’t a scientific consensus at all. This is also true.
Dude ... just stop with this nonsense. This isn't Breitbart or some nutcase YouTube channel. We are not swayed by that kind of loon talk. It only serves to make you look like a brainwashed loon.

I don't know if you really believe this or you're trying to convince readers that might happen across the thread. But the science is extremely clear and the economics also suggest that taking strong action is the best just for economic reasons. These are just facts. Greta isn't "demanding" anything that the science is not, and yes, there is a very strong consensus, in the range of the consensus that smoking is bad for your health. That strong. Of course, that doesn't mean "every single scientist", and it's telling that multiple prominent anti-climate scientists have a history of also working for the tobacco industry, calling out the "alarmists" in the medical industry.

It really is a silly argument to have. Hopefully one day you will realise it, but I don't hold out hope.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

The science regarding the timeframes of the emergency is vastly varied. For example are the IPCC non scientific compared to Greta.

The economic stuff of Gretas demands are actually evil.
Mog The Almighty

bimboman wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:26 pm The science regarding the timeframes of the emergency is vastly varied. For example are the IPCC non scientific compared to Greta.

It's not vastly varied at all, you're just wrong, in-fact, when compared to retrospective data, the mainstream have under-estimated the speed of change, and Greta isn't "demanding" anything. She's imploring people listen to experts.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:50 pm
bimboman wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:26 pm The science regarding the timeframes of the emergency is vastly varied. For example are the IPCC non scientific compared to Greta.

It's not vastly varied at all, you're just wrong, in-fact, when compared to retrospective data, the mainstream have under-estimated the speed of change, and Greta isn't "demanding" anything. She's imploring people listen to experts.

Find me Gretas time frames and immediate anywhere in the IPCC ?

She absolutely demands.

She only wants some experts listened to.

You keep saying stuff that is demonstrably untrue.
BokJock

Post by BokJock »

David Attenborough's new Netflix doc is scary as fudge.

Bimbo, please can I have permission to listen to him?
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

Lol at the grown men still petrified of Greta. :lol:
C69

Post by C69 »

Feck me the hatred spewed at a little girl is pathetic.
Mithering fascist twats
Sonny Blount

Post by Sonny Blount »

C69 wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:52 pm Feck me the hatred spewed at a little girl is pathetic.
Mithering fascist twats
Despicable comment and a lie.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Muttonbirds wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:33 pm Lol at the grown men still petrified of Greta. :lol:
:lol:
lilyw

Post by lilyw »

C69 wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:52 pm Feck me the hatred spewed at a little girl is pathetic.
Mithering fascist twats
That's an astonishing level of disingenuousness. She is not a "little girl ". She has quite deliberately set out to be a world thought leader and opinion former. It is perfectly reasonable to criticise her on that basis. If you defend her as being merely a little girl you are infantilising her and diminishing her importance. You're the one who is acting as a twat.
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

Imagine if Greta was brown or black. The climate change deniers on the political right would have whipped themselves into an even more furious orgy of hate.
koroke hangareka

Post by koroke hangareka »

lilyw wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:44 pm
Mithering fascist twats
That's an astonishing level of disingenuousness. She is not a "little girl ". She has quite deliberately set out to be a world thought leader and opinion former. It is perfectly reasonable to criticise her on that basis. If you defend her as being merely a little girl you are infantilising her and diminishing her importance. You're the one who is acting as a twat.
Exactly right. She has a right to be taken seriously—she's earned it— and bimbo has a perfect right to challenge her with his idiotic opinions :thumbup:
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

That's Climate Scientist and Economic Expert Bimbo to you.
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

Thomas wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:45 am That's Climate Scientist, Epidemiologist and Economic Expert Bimbo to you.
Fixed
Mog The Almighty

bimboman wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:07 pm
Mog The Almighty wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:50 pm

Find me Gretas time frames and immediate anywhere in the IPCC ?

She absolutely demands.

She only wants some experts listened to.

You keep saying stuff that is demonstrably untrue.
What is "Greta's time frames" bimbot? Where has she demanded? She wants real experts to be listened to. The ones you hear on you YouTube rabbit-hole dives are not real experts and not only she doesn't listen to them, nobody does, because they're loons.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

6.Jones wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:13 pm
Sonny Blount wrote:
She has spoken awfully and fails to gain credibility with anyone not already on the alarmist train. Her speeches on climate change have been as absurd as Trumps on politics.
I wish no ill will on her personally. She appears to be living up to the direction of the adults around her.
She hasn't spoken awfully at all. She speaks directly and passionately. Here's a transcript of her speech to the UN. You may not agree with the message, but it's an exceptional piece of communication.

While Bimbo and co are being total dicks about it, I don't think it's a fantastic speech. Well written certainly, but it's another example of preaching to the converted. I think we can safely say, for all the hype, Thungberg hasn't actually changed anyone's opinions much if anything.

Largely because like movements like BLM or Extinction Rebellion she offers no actual realistic solutions and has a lot of politically polarizing 'extras' which aren't all environmentally sound or relevant when anyone investigates the ideology behind her. Likewise she's too well connected with people who will profit off the pressure she gives governments and most of all she does absolutely nothing to build bridges to those who don't already take the environmental message seriously. Likewise she seems uninterested in attacking the biggest polluters, her message is disproportionately aimed at European governments and what grabs media attention here as opposed to the world's biggest polluters (China, India). There is also the issues she is making a lot of demands off countries already taking action and have goals of becoming carbon neutral in the next few decades.

A shame. Had she and her people taken a different approach, not one routed in failure she could have been more effective.
Mog The Almighty

eldanielfire wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:36 am
Sonny Blount wrote:
She has spoken awfully and fails to gain credibility with anyone not already on the alarmist train. Her speeches on climate change have been as absurd as Trumps on politics.
I wish no ill will on her personally. She appears to be living up to the direction of the adults around her.
She hasn't spoken awfully at all. She speaks directly and passionately. Here's a transcript of her speech to the UN. You may not agree with the message, but it's an exceptional piece of communication.

While Bimbo and co are being total dicks about it, I don't think it's a fantastic speech. Well written certainly, but it's another example of preaching to the converted. I think we can safely say, for all the hype, Thungberg hasn't actually changed anyone's opinions much if anything.

Largely because like movements like BLM or Extinction Rebellion she offers no actual realistic solutions and has a lot of politically polarizing 'extras' which aren't all environmentally sound or relevant when anyone investigates the ideology behind her. Likewise she's too well connected with people who will profit off the pressure she gives governments and most of all she does absolutely nothing to build bridges to those who don't already take the environmental message seriously. Likewise she seems uninterested in attacking the biggest polluters, her message is disproportionately aimed at European governments and what grabs media attention here as opposed to the world's biggest polluters (China, India). There is also the issues she is making a lot of demands off countries already taking action and have goals of becoming carbon neutral in the next few decades.

A shame. Had she and her people taken a different approach, not one routed in failure she could have been more effective.
While you make some fair points, she's a teenaged girl in piggy-tails. Not a seasoned polemisist. I don't see that the world should be relying on a 16yo autistic girl to come up with all the solutions! I think she's fantastic, I wish there were more like her, and I applaud her.

But no, she is not solving the problem. I don't think we will solve the problem. I think the bimbots will win, driven by fear and selfishness and having their head filled full of nonsense on the Internet - the greatest source of anti-scientific misinformation in human history. In the 70s we were making plans to take our first baby steps to colonize the solar system. Fast forward to 2020 and we're trying to convince people the earth is not flat. We're f--ked. Greta may not be the solution, but she's appluadable, and at least on the right side of history.
6.Jones

Post by 6.Jones »

koroke hangareka wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:02 am
lilyw wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:44 pm
Mithering fascist twats
Exactly right. She has a right to be taken seriously—she's earned it— and bimbo has a perfect right to challenge her with his idiotic opinions :thumbup:
True that. Debate is good, including when people are wrong.
6.Jones

Post by 6.Jones »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:59 am
Sonny Blount wrote:

While you make some fair points, she's a teenaged girl in piggy-tails. Not a seasoned polemisist. I don't see that the world should be relying on a 16yo autistic girl to come up with all the solutions! I think she's fantastic, I wish there were more like her, and I applaud her.

But no, she is not solving the problem. I don't think we will solve the problem. I think the bimbots will win, driven by fear and selfishness and having their head filled full of nonsense on the Internet - the greatest source of anti-scientific misinformation in human history. In the 70s we were making plans to take our first baby steps to colonize the solar system. Fast forward to 2020 and we're trying to convince people the earth is not flat. We're f--ked. Greta may not be the solution, but she's appluadable, and at least on the right side of history.
+1. I'm squarely in the Thunberg fan club too, but she won't win. Emissions are increasing. We're socially and politically unequipped to handle this crisis. The only possibility is geoengineering, with its attendant risks. We can only hope that politicians will decide on the best geoengineering solutions, and not the most profitable ones.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

I’ve made no comment about the child other than she isn’t writing the material , I also made no comment about the speech being good nor bad.

The mental leaps made from that above are quite astonishing.

Of course cynics would say the above response to the girl is why she has been promoted so strongly. If someone was an absolute cynic you’d also say the resistance to change are happy with the inefficiency of her campaign.

As for the comments regard “expert” these are funny, because again if you look I’ve just said look at the IPCC and make comparisons.

As for looking at the economics , it’s something that everyone just looks the other way on and hopes it goes away,
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Emissions are increasing.
Not in my country.

Of course that because we have exported the use “carbon”.

Anyone who seriously think Europe is taking carbon neutral seriously is ignoring the installation of Nordstrom 2.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

6.Jones wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:10 am

+1. I'm squarely in the Thunberg fan club too, but she won't win. Emissions are increasing. We're socially and politically unequipped to handle this crisis. The only possibility is geoengineering, with its attendant risks. We can only hope that politicians will decide on the best geoengineering solutions, and not the most profitable ones.
[/quote]

Nah, the Republican party were speaking shite about Global Warming before the internet became such a vehicle for disinformation.

I'd call the politicalisation of the environmental cause 50% of the disinformation problem. I think Al Gore meant well but when he released an 'Inconvenient Truth' which is 50% good presentation and 50% digs at the Republicans, he polarised natural political leanings much further making it a Dem vs Republican issue, which then wins over no one else. Compare that with the UK were all political sides since Thatcher have agreed Global Warming is a n issue that must be tackled with Boris Johnsen this week making a big announcement about wind energy. But then Europe's approach to Climate Change has been good overall. I've sometimes been shocked at how much worse the USA and Australia have been in how much they pollute. But no coincidence their global warming debates are much more framed in left vs right political stances.

IMO to approach the 'right wings resistance' to Global Warming (plenty on the left too as Piers Corbyn shows) is to present the whole case for moving to 'clean energy'. Not just CO2 being unprofitable, but the fact fossil fuel resourced will run out in our lives, we are going to have to shift to renewables anyway. Early adopters make the best profits. Promote the angle all sides are winners if we do this some way or another rather than "You're to blame we'll all die, do as I say or else" when we really won't. On the other side encourage governments to subsided fossil fuels less and renewables more. Not to reject Nuclear power. Grow trees in the right way which is relatively cheap.
dantedelew

Post by dantedelew »

eldanielfire wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:01 am Nah, the Republican party were speaking shite about Global Warming before the internet became such a vehicle for disinformation.

I'd call the politicalisation of the environmental cause 50% of the disinformation problem. I think Al Gore meant well but when he released an 'Inconvenient Truth' which is 50% good presentation and 50% digs at the Republicans, he polarised natural political leanings much further making it a Dem vs Republican issue, which then wins over no one else. Compare that with the UK were all political sides since Thatcher have agreed Global Warming is a n issue that must be tackled with Boris Johnsen this week making a big announcement about wind energy. But then Europe's approach to Climate Change has been good overall. I've sometimes been shocked at how much worse the USA and Australia have been in how much they pollute. But no coincidence their global warming debates are much more framed in left vs right political stances.

IMO to approach the 'right wings resistance' to Global Warming (plenty on the left too as Piers Corbyn shows) is to present the whole case for moving to 'clean energy'. Not just CO2 being unprofitable, but the fact fossil fuel resourced will run out in our lives, we are going to have to shift to renewables anyway. Early adopters make the best profits. Promote the angle all sides are winners if we do this some way or another rather than "You're to blame we'll all die, do as I say or else" when we really won't. On the other side encourage governments to subsided fossil fuels less and renewables more. Not to reject Nuclear power. Grow trees in the right way which is relatively cheap.
Just worth noting that the pledge to get to 40GW of offshore wind by 2030 was already announced in 2019. It just seems to have taken him a year to re-state it.
6.Jones

Post by 6.Jones »

bimboman wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:23 am
Not in my country.

Anyone who seriously think Europe is taking carbon neutral seriously is ignoring the installation of Nordstrom 2.
UK emissions have fallen mainly [89% or ~100Mt] due to a reduction in coal.
Quite by the by, my [then] company did the finance risk analysis for Ns2, many years ago. All I can say is, Russians.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

6.Jones wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:06 am
bimboman wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:23 am
Not in my country.

UK emissions have fallen mainly [89% or ~100Mt] due to a reduction in coal.
Quite by the by, my [then] company did the finance risk analysis for Ns2, many years ago. All I can say is, Russians.

It’s their gas or their tanks, which might be even more alarming than a mild winter.
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

Just a reminder that Greta T will reach legal majority in her home country in just under three months, so the 'little girl' stuff is a bit beside the point. Also, who should give a fúck about her hairdo or how tall she is?
Mog The Almighty

MungoMan wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:35 am Just a reminder that Greta T will reach legal majority in her home country in just under three months, so the 'little girl' stuff is a bit beside the point. Also, who should give a fúck about her hairdo or how tall she is?
A convenient attitude to have if you want to heap spittle-flinging vitriol on her (not saying you are doing that btw).

It doesn't make a difference to her message, although we're clearly not listening to actual qualified experts anyway. But it's just not a good look for grown men to be so nasty toward a teenage girl (with or without piggy-tails). There's some real nasty people out there. And why? Because she's saying something that deep down makes them scared and uncomfortable and they don't want to hear it. They probably also have very little dicks I suspect or some other type of insecurity complex.
Farva

Post by Farva »

Sonny Blount wrote:

I’m more bullish than you are. We are in a rapidly changing world. Renewables are now easily the lowest price generation. BESS prices are plummeting to a point where the AGL CEO recently suggested it’s cost competitive as a load shifting medium. Hydrogen prices are plummeting too and I think this is the most exciting. We might see prices hit $A2 a kg for H2 and that equates to around $100 /MWh. Slightly more expensive than coal but when mixed with variable RE will provide a lower LCOE than coal.

Cars and trucks are going electric. Construction equipment is moving to H2.

If we can get energy production away from fossil fuels that will more than halve our GHG emissions which is a game changer. What I would like to see is governments actually encourage this (although this federal govt committed $A1.4b to a ARENA over the next 10 years and have put $300m into the CEFC for H2 in the recently announced budget, if only they hadn’t also had money there for Gas generators or carbon sequestration).
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:40 am
MungoMan wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:35 am Just a reminder that Greta T will reach legal majority in her home country in just under three months, so the 'little girl' stuff is a bit beside the point. Also, who should give a fúck about her hairdo or how tall she is?
A convenient attitude to have if you want to heap spittle-flinging vitriol on her (not saying you are doing that btw).
So why mention 'spittle-flinging vitriol' in response to a vitriol-free post from a poster who has barely mentioned Greta T before and who hasn't disputed or weasel-worded the climate science consensus regarding AGW?

You truly do put in the hard yards when it comes to making a tit of yourself.
Mog The Almighty

MungoMan wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:56 am
So why mention 'spittle-flinging vitriol' in response to a vitriol-free post from a poster who has barely mentioned Greta T before and who hasn't disputed or weasel-worded the climate science consensus regarding AGW?

You truly do put in the hard yards when it comes to making a tit of yourself.
Take it easy fellah. I'm not insulting you or arguing with you.

I was just answering your question - what does the way she look have to do with anything? I was just commenting on that. This is why it is relevant: any self-respecting man would normally show some self control toward a piggy-tailed teenage girl, even if she was annoying them, if only simply not be a complete arsehole. Instead they unload scathing rants and vitriol upon her. Couldn't they just cup their balls and feign indifference? You should see some of the shit they level at her, it's pathetic and disgusting and it is telling as far as their mental state and psychological stability goes, at least on the issue of climate change.
Last edited by Mog The Almighty on Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
jezzer

Post by jezzer »

Farva wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:44 am

I’m more bullish than you are. We are in a rapidly changing world. Renewables are now easily the lowest price generation. BESS prices are plummeting to a point where the AGL CEO recently suggested it’s cost competitive as a load shifting medium. Hydrogen prices are plummeting too and I think this is the most exciting. We might see prices hit $A2 a kg for H2 and that equates to around $100 /MWh. Slightly more expensive than coal but when mixed with variable RE will provide a lower LCOE than coal.

Cars and trucks are going electric. Construction equipment is moving to H2.

If we can get energy production away from fossil fuels that will more than halve our GHG emissions which is a game changer. What I would like to see is governments actually encourage this (although this federal govt committed $A1.4b to a ARENA over the next 10 years and have put $300m into the CEFC for H2 in the recently announced budget, if only they hadn’t also had money there for Gas generators or carbon sequestration).
I'm working on a small scale h2 plant from biomass (<50MW) that should be capable of selling end product at €90-95/MWh.

It's doable already and costs will fall as tech improves and volumes increase.
BokJock

Post by BokJock »

Jezzer, you mad man...you'll take us back to the stone age!!!
Mog The Almighty

BokJock wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:06 pm Jezzer, you mad man...you'll take us back to the stone age!!!
:lol: :lol: 8)
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

Thomas wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:45 am That's Climate Scientist and Economic Expert Bimbo to you.
He has encyclopedic fingers
fatcat

Post by fatcat »

It doesn't make a difference to her message, although we're clearly not listening to actual qualified experts anyway. But it's just not a good look for grown men to be so nasty toward a teenage girl (with or without piggy-tails). There's some real nasty people out there. And why? Because she's saying something that deep down makes them scared and uncomfortable and they don't want to hear it. They probably also have very little dicks I suspect or some other type of insecurity complex.
Mog The Almighty

wtf?

Suddenly you're a pussy for pointing out that grown self respecting men shouldn't harass teenage girls? F-ck me some people have had an egg beater taken to their brains. Absolute pin dicks.
fatcat

Post by fatcat »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:35 am wtf?

Suddenly you're a pussy for pointing out that grown self respecting men shouldn't harass teenage girls? F-ck me some people have had an egg beater taken to their brains. Absolute pin dicks.
There's something odd going on in your 40 odd year old brain when it comes to Greta. Defending her is one thing, and absolutely nothing wrong with that, but the way you are massively exaggerating any type of opposing view and trying to paint posters a certain way is not only a little strange but deeply dishonest. It's like you have to make up stuff about spittle flinging vitriol and nasty scumbags with small penises to justify the intensity of your white knighting. Only you know why that could be.

Name the 5 most vitriolic things that people on this thread have said about Greta. It should be easy, as you've been using vitriol as a descriptor since early on, and you've used it repeatedly so let's go with it. Show us the nastiness. Go on, top 5.

While you're at it, which people on here are harassing teenage girls?