Sickening manipulation of a vulnerable child
42%
Cast off the Shoe. Follow the Gourd
9%

Total votes: 223

6.Jones

Re: Greta Thunberg

Post by 6.Jones »

bimboman wrote:It’s not contrarian to point out the UK leads the world on CO2 reductions and have passed legislation keeping them there.
That meme wasn't aimed at you Bimbo. And you're right. The UK is just about the world leader in responsible action.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Mog The Almighty wrote:
bimboman wrote:It’s not contrarian to point out the UK leads the world on CO2 reductions and have passed legislation keeping them there.
You're actually right that what the UK has done is impressive. Recently the UK went the longest in its history without drawing any energy at all from coal power. I forget the time involved but it was quite impressive. 42 days or something like that from memory.

I'd say give yourself a pat on the back but the unfortunate truth is that this has been achieved in spite of people who think.like you, not thanks to them.

I’ve paid my climate taxes. They’ve occured exactly because of people like me.
Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm »

Bimbot for the win! :thumbup:
Mog The Almighty

Post by Mog The Almighty »

Sandstorm wrote:Bimbot for the win! :thumbup:
:lol:

If bimbot admitted when he was mistaken, the score would be a million to one. The difference is I'm not interested in staying wrong a second longer than need be, given good evidence that is the case.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Mog The Almighty wrote:

If bimbot admitted when he was mistaken, the score would be a million to one. The difference is I'm not interested in staying wrong a second longer than need be, given good evidence that is the case.

You’ve been wrong about everything literally everything on this thread today. It’s quite common isn’t it.
Mog The Almighty

bimboman wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:

You’ve been wrong about everything literally everything on this thread today. It’s quite common isn’t it.
Like what?

I'm giving you that it seems China puts out slightly more the the UK. What else have I been wrong about? Show it to me and I'll happily adjust my views.

For your part, in all your many posts on this thread you've never even conceded that you believe its happening, its caused largely by human activity and it's a serious problem that requires action. You just keep dodging the question.

Maybe you can clear that up for us now? Do you accept that is the reality?
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Mog The Almighty wrote:
bimboman wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:

Like what?

I'm giving you that it seems China puts out slightly more the the UK. What else have I been wrong about? Show it to me and I'll happily adjust my views.

For your part, in all your many posts on this thread you've never even conceded that you believe its happening, its caused largely by human activity and it's a serious problem that requires action. You just keep dodging the question.

Maybe you can clear that up for us now? Do you accept that is the reality?

Slightly = 25% :lol: , you said “may” a lot before accepting that the UK produces less per capita, and is reducing further. Your whole argument regarding the UK and climate change is nonsense.

Regardless of what you say is reality , unless China reduce dramatically (which they’re not planning to) its an irrelevance.

We should be engineering for the affects not trying to change the weather.
Mog The Almighty

Dont dodge the question as usual. Do you believe global warming largely caused by humans is a serious issue we need to address or not?
dantedelew

Post by dantedelew »

Although we can't be quite so smug about the UK's position if we consider the consumption based emissions.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Mog The Almighty wrote:Dont dodge the question as usual. Do you believe global warming largely caused by humans is a serious issue we need to address or not?

Are we warming again ? Climate change is the name. And actually no, I don’t think “largely” caused by human activity. But my thoughts are irrelevant to accepting that we have to change in some way.

Personally I’d spend the trillions on engineering.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

dantedelew wrote:Although we can't be quite so smug about the UK's position if we consider the consumption based emissions.

Buying stuff made in dirty old China ? Agreed. Let’s boycott them till they stop using coal.
Mog The Almighty

bimboman wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:Dont dodge the question as usual. Do you believe global warming largely caused by humans is a serious issue we need to address or not?

Are we warming again ? Climate change is the name. And actually no, I don’t think “largely” caused by human activity. But my thoughts are irrelevant to accepting that we have to change in some way.

So do you even believe the world is warming? Ignoring basic science that demonstrates C02 is a heat trapping gas and were pumping gigatons of it into the atmosphere every year.

Forget human activity, is the global temperature warming at an alarming rate for whatever reason? Yes or no?
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Mog The Almighty wrote:
bimboman wrote:

So do you even believe the world is warming? Ignoring basic science that demonstrates C02 is a heat trapping gas and were pumping gigatons of it into the atmosphere every year.

Forget human activity, is the global temperature warming at an alarming rate for whatever reason? Yes or no?

I believe the science of greenhouse gases.

The “alarming” rise doesn’t personally alarm, nor in fact demonstrate itself. It’s getting a bit warmer, but nothing like a level to “Alarm”, I’m guessing that’s why the IPCC themselves even advise a slower rate of behaviour change than XR.
Mog The Almighty

Okay, we're getting somewhere.

So am I right that you believe the world is warming, you believe that human activity is significantly contributing to that warming ... you just dont believe it's a big deal?

Correct me where I'm wrong.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Mog The Almighty wrote:Okay, we're getting somewhere.

So am I right that you believe the world is warming, you believe that human activity is significantly contributing to that warming ... you just dont believe it's a big deal?

Correct me where I'm wrong.

It has warmed a bit, I’m sure human activity contributes a bit, I personally don’t think they know by how much at all.

I also know the Chinese and Indians aren’t going to slow their emissions, so reducing Carbon in the UK (less than 1%) is a virtual signal on my behalf, and one you’re keen we send.
Rinkals

Post by Rinkals »

dantedelew wrote:
ChipSpike wrote:
dantedelew wrote:
bimboman wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:That is completely irrelevant.

And for what it's worth, the UK and the USA both put out far more carbon per capita than China. So of course we want China to slow down, level off or - by some miracle - even reduce their carbon emissions. that's a no brainier. Stop presenting it as some kind of either-or decision, that's simply disingenuous. It would also be fantastic if the UK and USA could lower theres, to at-least be equal with China, per capita, and preferably a lot lower.

But like I said it's an totally irrelevant point. Just another vapid bimbot argument in favour of you personally doing nothing.
The UK produces substantially less CO2 per capita than China. Basic facts here again MOG.

The UK and the US are reducing emissions, China isn’t.

The UK already has plans to be neutral carbon by 2050 which I’m already paying for. Stop protesting here and go to China would be my advice.
We're not on track though. And some will want net zero before 2050. It is entirely valid to protest in the UK.
We're following IPCC recommendations to limit warming to 1.5c, what's the point of preaching to the converted? Its kind of insulting to us, and a waste of protest time.
Does your point follow my point?
We're currently off track to meet our 2050 net-zero goal. So you can set a goal but you also need to hit the goal. It's OK to keep applying pressure.
I think you'd have to be exceptionally thin skinned to be insulted.

It's funny how the people who are quick to call the left "snowflakes" are also the quickest to take offense at the smallest perceived slight.
Mog The Almighty

Funny how sometimes life imitates art.

More than 12,000 kilometres of Australia's sandy beaches are threatened by coastal erosion by the end of the century, with greater losses predicted if greenhouse gas emissions remain high.

The projections, made by European researchers and published in Nature Climate Change on Tuesday, used satellite data that tracked shoreline change from 1984 to 2015. They found a "substantial proportion" of the world's sandy coastline is already eroded, a trend that could worsen as climate change pushes up sea levels.
https://www.smh.com.au/environment/clim ... 5463p.html

bimboman

Post by bimboman »

“By the end of the century”
Sonny Blount

Post by Sonny Blount »

Mog The Almighty wrote:Funny how sometimes life imitates art.

More than 12,000 kilometres of Australia's sandy beaches are threatened by coastal erosion by the end of the century, with greater losses predicted if greenhouse gas emissions remain high.

The projections, made by European researchers and published in Nature Climate Change on Tuesday, used satellite data that tracked shoreline change from 1984 to 2015. They found a "substantial proportion" of the world's sandy coastline is already eroded, a trend that could worsen as climate change pushes up sea levels.

Erosion has been around for a billion years.
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

Sonny Blount wrote:

Absolutely. So has uplift and down thrust. And so has climate change, both cooling and warming. What on earth is your point?
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Sonny Blount wrote:

Pffft. People thinnk erosion is bad now? It was worse in the Holocene epoch.
Sonny Blount

Post by Sonny Blount »

Ted. wrote:
Sonny Blount wrote:

Absolutely. So has uplift and down thrust. And so has climate change, both cooling and warming. What on earth is your point?

What on Earth was Mog's point?
Sonny Blount

Post by Sonny Blount »

The predictions in the link you provided are based on RCP 8.5, ask Groucho what that is (its an unlikely outcome journalists like to use for scaremongering).
Last edited by Sonny Blount on Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm »

Thomas wrote:
Sonny Blount wrote:

Pffft. People thinnk erosion is bad now? It was worse in the Holocene epoch.
It was the fault of the Short Faced Bears.
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

Sonny Blount wrote:
Ted. wrote:
Sonny Blount wrote:

What on Earth was Mog's point?
I didn't bother with Mog's post. It's yours that caught my eye and what I responded to, so can you elucidate your point about erosion?

BTW, without erosion, the Southern Alps would be humongous and we wouldn't have the Canterbury plains. Hang on!
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Ah yes, the natural enemy of Greta Thunberg: pasty middle aged white men.

Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

Thomas wrote:

I'm 45 now, starting to get really worried about turning into one at 50....

Mog The Almighty

Ted. wrote: I didn't bother with Mog's post. It's yours that caught my eye and what I responded to, so can you elucidate your point about erosion?

BTW, without erosion, the Southern Alps would be humongous and we wouldn't have the Canterbury plains. Hang on!
You should bother with my post actually..

It's something about self delusional loons and their willful denial of an obvious reality.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
Thomas wrote:

You need to have a few right wing tendencies.
mabunch78

Post by mabunch78 »

Sonny Blount wrote:

Oh dear, thought you were showing how clever you are. It's irrefutably been around for >3 billion years (on this planet...).
Sonny Blount

Post by Sonny Blount »

mabunch78 wrote:
Sonny Blount wrote:

Oh dear, thought you were showing how clever you are. It's irrefutably been around for >3 billion years (on this planet...).
You got me.
Glaston

Post by Glaston »

What is it with climate change protesters and hating grass?

Xtinction lot digging up lawns all over the place and Greta's lot destroying Bristol's College Green.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-51696203

Though they saved the flowers which shows they care.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

Thomas wrote:
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
Thomas wrote:

I literally struggle to Gammon up
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Glaston wrote:What is it with climate change protesters and hating grass?

Xtinction lot digging up lawns all over the place and Greta's lot destroying Bristol's College Green.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-51696203

Though they saved the flowers which shows they care.
Gavin Mountjoy commented on Facebook: "Oh the irony, hundreds of people turning up to talk about our planet dying end up destroying a green area."
Are you Gavin? Also, I bet Gavin is a fat, middle aged white man.
C69

Post by C69 »

Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
Thomas wrote:
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
Thomas wrote:

I literally struggle to Gammon up
There at least one expert here.....
Mog The Almighty

Sonny Blount wrote:

Out of all the world's Geological, Oceanography & Meteorological Institutes, as well as NASA and the CSIRO, and in fact every National Academy of Sciences on the planet, exactly zero of them dissent on the mainstream consensus of global warming and rising sea levels.

But they probably aren't aware of "erosion".

Maybe you should write them a letter. You can address it to professors Dunning and Krueger.
6.Jones

Post by 6.Jones »

That's an appeal to authority, Mog. The fact that every scientific body agrees on a thing doesn't mean it's true. Equal time should be given to people with dissenting opinions. I've set up a voting system in my house for gravity and electricity, just to be sure.
Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm »

6.Jones wrote:That's an appeal to authority, Mog. The fact that every scientific body agrees on a thing doesn't mean it's true. Equal time should be given to people with dissenting opinions. I've set up a voting system in my house for gravity and electricity, just to be sure.
Those are useful truths. It’s the awkward ones that threaten gammon on the menu that cause dissent.
ChipSpike

Post by ChipSpike »

You're fighting a battle that has been won. Its moved on to what the actual impacts are going to be, and the degree of mitigation and remedial actions are necessary.