Sickening manipulation of a vulnerable child
42%
Cast off the Shoe. Follow the Gourd
9%

Total votes: 223

bimboman

Re: Greta Thunberg

Post by bimboman »

6.Jones wrote:That's an appeal to authority, Mog. The fact that every scientific body agrees on a thing doesn't mean it's true. Equal time should be given to people with dissenting opinions. I've set up a voting system in my house for gravity and electricity, just to be sure.

Should we vote on “tipping points” at least ?
6.Jones

Post by 6.Jones »

bimboman wrote:
6.Jones wrote:That's an appeal to authority, Mog. The fact that every scientific body agrees on a thing doesn't mean it's true. Equal time should be given to people with dissenting opinions. I've set up a voting system in my house for gravity and electricity, just to be sure.

Voting on tipping points... interesting point. Gladwell would say no. Tipping points are chaotic... it's hard to predict when they'll occur. Which is why we need a series of books about them.

However, there is a branch of mathematics which you'll be familiar with - stochastics and dynamics. We can model them, which is what climate models do.

But you're right - there are tipping points beyond which complex systems can change state rapidly and [in theory] irreversibly - hysteresis.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

6.Jones wrote:
bimboman wrote:

Voting on tipping points... interesting point. Gladwell would say no. Tipping points are chaotic... it's hard to predict when they'll occur. Which is why we need a series of books about them.

However, there is a branch of mathematics which you'll be familiar with - stochastics and dynamics. We can model them, which is what climate models do.

But you're right - there are tipping points beyond which complex systems can change state rapidly and [in theory] irreversibly - hysteresis.

You mean 95% of scientists don’t agree in a date ?

Shocking
Mog The Almighty

Post by Mog The Almighty »

6.Jones

Post by 6.Jones »

bimboman wrote:
6.Jones wrote:
bimboman wrote:

Shocking
I used to go on the Arctic Sea Ice Forum, where scientists [and punters like me] meet to discuss the Arctic. Every year, there's a poll about the minimum extent. The range of opinions is as wide among scientists as it is among punters, and punters are as likely to get it right. That's how chaos rolls. The vital thing is knowing which functions are chaotic.

And to also understand that deterministic chaos also has trends, which can be predicted. So we may not be sure when a tipping point will be achieved, but we can sometimes be sure that it will. For that we have thermodynamics and entropy to thank. :thumbup:

On the subject of sea ice, I need some way to get you the bottle of wine I owe you for getting exactly that prediction wrong. 6 . jones @ protonmail . com. Damn the coronavirus and full steam ahead.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Sent a test email.

Have you seen this years ice BtW?

Edit bounced. Do it later when dog walked and squats done.
blindcider

Post by blindcider »

Glaston wrote:What is it with climate change protesters and hating grass?

Xtinction lot digging up lawns all over the place and Greta's lot destroying Bristol's College Green.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-51696203

Though they saved the flowers which shows they care.
Gavin Mountjoy commented on Facebook: "Oh the irony, hundreds of people turning up to talk about our planet dying end up destroying a green area."
I went past College Green this morning, grass is already recovering and its looking quite green again
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

I feel excluded and offended on behalf of phlogiston. And I’ve that right. I’ve spent the greater part of my life phlogging.
dantedelew

Post by dantedelew »

blindcider wrote:

Xtinction lot digging up lawns all over the place and Greta's lot destroying Bristol's College Green.

Gavin Mountjoy commented on Facebook: "Oh the irony, hundreds of people turning up to talk about our planet dying end up destroying a green area."
I went past College Green this morning, grass is already recovering and its looking quite green again
Only because disgruntled gammons had worked through the night to restore that patch of wildlife they hold so dear.
Glaston

Post by Glaston »

blindcider wrote:

After 4 days?
Glaston

Post by Glaston »

Thomas wrote:

Are you Gavin? Also, I bet Gavin is a fat, middle aged white man.
I bet you weigh more than me.
Mog The Almighty

Glaston wrote:
blindcider wrote:

After 4 days?
It's a f-cking lawn. :roll: It's completely irrelevant.
Rinkals

Post by Rinkals »

bimboman wrote:
6.Jones wrote:
bimboman wrote:

Shocking
As usual, you try to score points by picking on an aspect of someone's post that has no bearing on the context of the discussion. This is dishonest and you are not arguing in good faith.

The consensus is that climate change is occurring and there is a very real danger that we could see an impact which, without action, may be irreversible.

The point is not about the exact date that such a hypothetical event might occur; we may very well have passed it and any action might be useless and ineffectual.

The point is that we should start doing what we can right now because there is a very slim chance that it may not already be too late.
blindcider

Post by blindcider »

Glaston wrote:
blindcider wrote:

After 4 days?
Yes, after 4 days

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-bristol-51711847
6.Jones

Post by 6.Jones »

dantedelew wrote:
blindcider wrote:

Only because disgruntled gammons had worked through the night to restore that patch of wildlife they hold so dear.
The tragedy of the gammons.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

6.Jones wrote: The tragedy of the gammons.
It is tragic you can't get gammon in Oz :(
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

The point is not about the exact date that such a hypothetical event might occur; we may very well have passed it and any action might be useless and ineffectual.

The point is that we should start doing what we can right now because there is a very slim chance that it may not already be too late.

The exact conundrum being dealt with on climate change is “when” and how bad it will be.

“What we can right now” is as broad a comment regarding a policy which will affect the wealth and well being of the globe by its actions or non actions as can be. I genuinely can’t think of anything more blandly stupid.
Mog The Almighty

Somewhere between the red & the orange is a small slither, "ok, it's real, and it's caused by humans, but it's probably not a big deal" ...

6.Jones

Post by 6.Jones »

Mog The Almighty wrote:Somewhere between the red & the orange is a small slither, "ok, it's real, and it's caused by humans, but it's probably not a big deal" ...
And there was nothing we could've done about it.
And anyway the task is mitigation.
6.Jones

Post by 6.Jones »

Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
6.Jones wrote: The tragedy of the gammons.
It is tragic you can't get gammon in Oz :(
That's because we're manly men.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Mog The Almighty wrote:Somewhere between the red & the orange is a small slither, "ok, it's real, and it's caused by humans, but it's probably not a big deal" ...

You keep those science papers coming Mog.

And stop chewing the crayons.
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

blindcider wrote:

As one would expect. The damage done by the large number of people was only to the blades of grass above the ground, not to the root base.
blindcider

Post by blindcider »

Kiwias wrote:
blindcider wrote:

As one would expect. The damage done by the large number of people was only to the blades of grass above the ground, not to the root base.
absolutely but its always good to counter nonsense spread by credulous plonkers
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Imagine caring about the fucking grass. :lol:
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Thomas wrote:Imagine caring about the fucking grass. :lol:

Yeah, let’s be environmentally friendly and make everything look like shit.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

bimboman wrote:

Yeah, let's ignore the issue and wring our fat porky hands and wail about the lawn.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Thomas wrote:
bimboman wrote:

Yeah, let's ignore the issue and wring our fat porky hands and wail about the lawn.

Let address the issue and not make everything look like shit.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

bimboman wrote:
Thomas wrote:
bimboman wrote:

It's a bit hard when one side has their fingers in their ears going "la la la la"

Anyway, the grass is fine. It has grown back.
The Man Without Fear

Post by The Man Without Fear »

bimboman wrote:
Thomas wrote:
bimboman wrote:

Like you give even the vaguest shit.
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

bimboman wrote:

It is a patch of grass and will grow back, as indeed it is already doing. People are trying to make it sounds as if a mob swarmed to the grass with the deliberate intent of tearing it up.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

I care about the Grass and sensible decisions being made for the whole globe.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Kiwias wrote:
bimboman wrote:

It is a patch of grass and will grow back, as indeed it is already doing. People are trying to make it sounds as if a mob swarmed to the grass with the deliberate intent of tearing it up.
They...they stood on it!
sturginho

Post by sturginho »

Thomas wrote:
Kiwias wrote:
bimboman wrote:

They...they stood on it!
Monsters!
blindcider

Post by blindcider »

Thomas wrote:
Kiwias wrote:
bimboman wrote:

They...they stood on it!
More damage is done to it in the Bristol half marathon every September due to the portable toilets and race infrastructure being stood on it for several days
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

blindcider wrote:
Thomas wrote:
Kiwias wrote:
bimboman wrote:

They...they stood on it!
More damage is done to it in the Bristol half marathon every September due to the portable toilets and race infrastructure being stood on it for several days
Oh no!

THIS HAS HAPPENED BEFORE!??
The Man Without Fear

Post by The Man Without Fear »

I knew there was a reason why I hated distance running and the emaciated, pain addicted weirdos that participate in the "sport".
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

blindcider wrote:
Thomas wrote:
Kiwias wrote:
bimboman wrote:

They...they stood on it!

Good idea , ban this too.
BokJock

Post by BokJock »

Thomas wrote:
Ah yes, the natural enemy of Greta Thunberg: pasty middle aged white men.

:lol:
Stevie Ralph-Taylor is the most gammon thing I have ever seen :shock:

Kevin Bird is proudly showing off a f**king bud light as his profile pic - he should in no way be taken seriously by anyone ever
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

CO2 emissions in the UK fell by 29% over the last decade to the lowest level since 1888, Carbon Brief reports. Energy generation from coal fell by 60% last year, making just 2% of UK supply while 54% of electricity generation is now from low carbon sources. H/T

“And still they don’t listen”
fatcat

Post by fatcat »

Damaging the grass is a complete irrelevance but there's no way the grass grew back to that level in 3 days!