The Official Welsh Rugby Thread

All things Rugby
Theflier

Re: The Official Welsh Rugby Thread

Post by Theflier »

Yes, the mens game was not "grown" by the womens funding it, I see no reason for it to go the other way, if and when the quality gets remotely interesting I may watch, but right now U14s is a far better watch

And why do we need to pay plumbers and scaffolders more money in the premiership, it's completely failed as a tool to harvest pros from, so should be what it is. Amateur.

Money is everything.

Investment in what? Surely its Cardiffs decision whether the money is spent on wage bills or academies?? I'm not sure what "investing" in merthyr does for anyone, bar those who play for the club
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Theflier wrote:Yes, the mens game was not "grown" by the womens funding it, I see no reason for it to go the other way, if and when the quality gets remotely interesting I may watch, but right now U14s is a far better watch
The men's game continues to grow.

And why do we need to pay plumbers and scaffolders more money in the premiership, it's completely failed as a tool to harvest pros from, so should be what it is. Amateur.

Money is everything.

Investment in what? Surely its Cardiffs decision whether the money is spent on wage bills or academies?? I'm not sure what "investing" in merthyr does for anyone, bar those who play for the club
The fact is the wider the rugby base is in a country the more good players it will eventually return. Some directly, some indirectly. Without the Amateur game and communities around it, bringing their kids along etc and growing the interest, we'd have f#ck all players to pick from and f#ck all people wtaching the game and buying tickets and merchandise and increasing media coverage and following that the sponsors get attracted to.

Money isn't everything and while it is important it only comes to Wales due to the overall popularity of the game, which isn't centred on the Regions as their weak ticket sales always show. It money was everything Wales would enver win the 6 Nations or get such deep world cup wins. England and France would be dominate forever.

Any Welsh fan should know the total success of the game comes from grassroots communities not any one structure or financial package. I've never seen a big sports model that wasn't a pyramid. Success isn't all player pathway, so much more goes into it. And yes, future success does go on prior investment quite often. The different parts of rugby are not separate compartments, but integrated and porous parts of a whole.
Theflier

Post by Theflier »

Money is everything.

If England and France did themselves a favour they'd be the best teams in the world.

Money comes to Wales because of our National game, which is directly caused by our domestic pro game, along with other opportunities(such as english players etc)

Our pro game needs more money.

Butch Karen and dave the windows doesn't need that money, our pro game does, and they've earned it.

The success of our pro games comes from the academies churning out high quality players year on year. When the last time a pro player outside of a poach wasn't associated with an academy?
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Theflier wrote:Money is everything.

If England and France did themselves a favour they'd be the best teams in the world.
But they aren't, which rather contradicts your own statement.

Money comes to Wales because of our National game, which is directly caused by our domestic pro game, along with other opportunities(such as english players etc)

Butch Karen and dave the windows doesn't need that money, our pro game does, and they've earned it.

The success of our pro games comes from the academies churning out high quality players year on year. When the last time a pro player outside of a poach wasn't associated with an academy?
And investing in the women's game, which gets barely anything and the amateur game doesn't mean the pro teams don't get anything.

Likewise the success of the pro-sides churning out academies is thanks to the overall profile the game has at all levels. There is no players in the game to go to academies without the influence of all the clubs in the country. These clubs need to run amateur teams to have the wider influx of people who develop knowledge, passion and to be there to volunteer as youth coaches and support for kids coaching which in turn leads to the academies getting players with good basic skills to develop. If you don't have quality and support throughout the whole system then the pro level collapses in quality.
Theflier

Post by Theflier »

eldanielfire wrote:
Theflier wrote:Money is everything.

But they aren't, which rather contradicts your own statement.

And investing in the women's game, which gets barely anything and the amateur game doesn't mean the pro teams don't get anything.

Likewise the success of the pro-sides churning out academies is thanks to the overall profile the game has at all levels. There is no players in the game to go to academies without the influence of all the clubs in the country. These clubs need to run amateur teams to have the wider influx of people who develop knowledge, passion and to be there to volunteer as youth coaches and support for kids coaching which in turn leads to the academies getting players with good basic skills to develop. If you don't have quality and support throughout the whole system then the pro level collapses in quality.

France literally just voted not to have Gatland as head coach and to have a rumoured idiot as head coach because they're thick. they have the money, they don't want to... England break that school of thought and go from out at group stages to favourites for a final in one cycle....

Therein lies the issue, you think giving money to randoms amateurs who have no idea how to handle such a thing will breed more success.

Whereas I think, the more successful a pro game, the more you inspire people to play, say, like the most successful sport in the world...
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

When the last time a pro player outside of a poach wasn't associated with an academy?
James Davies and Wyn Jones. Carmarthen Quins and Llandovery.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Theflier wrote:
France literally just voted not to have Gatland as head coach and to have a rumoured idiot as head coach because they're thick. they have the money, they don't want to... England break that school of thought and go from out at group stages to favourites for a final in one cycle....

Therein lies the issue, you think giving money to randoms amateurs who have no idea how to handle such a thing will breed more success.

Whereas I think, the more successful a pro game, the more you inspire people to play, say, like the most successful sport in the world...
Look at when the Osprey's dominated the Pro-14. What did they breed? They were nearly cancelled as a region this year. London 2012 and other Olympics have shown, sustained success doesn't come form success at the top in big sports, it comes from sustained quality grassroots.

My point exactly, money isn't everything. It's one factor.
GWO2

Post by GWO2 »

Sh*t , sh*t, sh*t. As though things are not bad enough already.

Tipuric offered massive deal by Bristol Bears

Still, if he takes, good luck to him, he`s been a good servant to the Ospreys.

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/tipuric- ... MN-4RcGwwI
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

GWO2 wrote:Sh*t , sh*t, sh*t. As though things are not bad enough already.

Tipuric offered massive deal by Bristol Bears

Still, if he takes, good luck to him, he`s been a good servant to the Ospreys.

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/tipuric- ... MN-4RcGwwI
May not be bad GW02. He is 30 and is taking up a lot of money. You've had 10 years of him. Next few years will be his slow/steady decline. Time for the next generation. But he may stay.

Apparently, Toulouse, Clermont and Toulon interested too.. Silly season is upon us until January when the French close their books.
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

What's the general thinking of the 60 cap rule?

My Cardiff mate reckons it should be 120 caps - including national and regional appearances. After that it is fair game.
Jeff the Bear

Post by Jeff the Bear »

LandOTurk wrote:What's the general thinking of the 60 cap rule?

My Cardiff mate reckons it should be 120 caps - including national and regional appearances. After that it is fair game.
I think 60 international caps is about right...but there should be a 120 regional caps addition (an either/or situation).

As noted above, I think Tipuric deserves it, and should be allowed to go. It's the one area we're ridiculously strong in Wales, and so getting another decent 7 shouldn't be too difficult.
Theflier

Post by Theflier »

I don't think there should be any rule.

Expensive welsh internationals are the worst buys for a region, and forcing a region to pay their (often inflated salaries) cripple them.

For instance, North, 1/2p, Aled, Smith, S.Williams, Moriarty to name a few are incredibly shit value for money

Cardiff and dragons desperately need more income, but forcing them to pay for certain internationals is also crippling
GWO2

Post by GWO2 »

I disagree. If a player has been with a region and played for them over 100 times, I think he has shown his loyalty and should be allowed to move on and still play for Wales no matter how many caps he has. It seems it is ok to leave a region before you are capped (ie Carre) and still be eligible, while the likes of Webb, who put in more than a few shifts for region and country, is not eligible. IMHO.
Theflier

Post by Theflier »

GWO2 wrote:I disagree. If a player has been with a region and played for them over 100 times, I think he has shown his loyalty and should be allowed to move on and still play for Wales no matter how many caps he has. It seems it is ok to leave a region before you are capped (ie Carre) and still be eligible, while the likes of Webb, who put in more than a few shifts for region and country, is not eligible. IMHO.
Which is farcical.
GWO2

Post by GWO2 »

Theflier wrote:
GWO2 wrote:I disagree. If a player has been with a region and played for them over 100 times, I think he has shown his loyalty and should be allowed to move on and still play for Wales no matter how many caps he has. It seems it is ok to leave a region before you are capped (ie Carre) and still be eligible, while the likes of Webb, who put in more than a few shifts for region and country, is not eligible. IMHO.
Which is farcical.

My opinion or or the situation? :lol: :lol: :lol:
New guy

Post by New guy »

Anyone know where I can see highlights of the Dragons game?
Jeff the Bear

Post by Jeff the Bear »

Theflier wrote:I don't think there should be any rule.

Expensive welsh internationals are the worst buys for a region, and forcing a region to pay their (often inflated salaries) cripple them.

For instance, North, 1/2p, Aled, Smith, S.Williams, Moriarty to name a few are incredibly shit value for money

Cardiff and dragons desperately need more income, but forcing them to pay for certain internationals is also crippling
Maybe I missed it, but was there ever an explanation of why the dual-contracts were binned? yes, they were clunky, but they at least solved the obvious problem you are articulating, that once an international player gets big enough, he barely ends up playing for his region,and only turns out regularly for Wales...hence, Team Wales should pay the most of their wages.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

It seems to be the issue is mostly returning players who have gone to shit elsewhere who are back on big money are the issue on value for money stakes. I think the regions should have a cap per player, with maybe one or two exceptions.
Theflier

Post by Theflier »

Jeff the Bear wrote:

Maybe I missed it, but was there ever an explanation of why the dual-contracts were binned? yes, they were clunky, but they at least solved the obvious problem you are articulating, that once an international player gets big enough, he barely ends up playing for his region, and only turns out regularly for Wales...hence, Team Wales should pay the most of their wages.
yes, because the idea was executed by the wru it was destined to fail.

for instance, dan baker, rory thornton and tyler morgan were all on NDCs.

Justin Tipuric never was.

they therefore decided just to give the regions the cash evenly, and then gave most of it to the scarlets

Funny how they saw uneven distribution of funding was floored as it allowed a region to collect the best players, so they've now decided to give one region more funding, so they can collect the best players....
bessantj

Post by bessantj »

New guy wrote:Anyone know where I can see highlights of the Dragons game?
Was going to say look on the Euro cup site but it doesn't seem to be on there anymore.

Yes I don't think there should be a rule. Rugby careers are short enough, players should be able to make as much cash as possible out of it. If they go to a club where they may not be able to play for Wales outside of an international window then so be it they'll lose caps.
Theflier

Post by Theflier »

eldanielfire wrote:

It seems to be the issue is mostly returning players who have gone to shit elsewhere who are back on big money are the issue on value for money stakes. I think the regions should have a cap per player, with maybe one or two exceptions.
No, what we should do is give the regions the same base funds and allow them to spend as they want, and not force them to do anything
Theflier

Post by Theflier »

GWO2 wrote:
Theflier wrote:
Which is farcical.

My opinion or or the situation? :lol: :lol: :lol:
the situation
bessantj

Post by bessantj »

Forgot, last game of the premiership this weekend:

Newport 35 37 Pontypridd RFC

Sounds like a good game even if the best team lost.
cubby boi

Post by cubby boi »

Will the Drags supporters on here finally start getting excited about Basham now? I’ve been genuinely surprised by the complete lack there of up until now. You have a genuine superstar there, not a pretend one like those that have gone before him.
Frodder

Post by Frodder »

cubby boi wrote:Will the Drags supporters on here finally start getting excited about Basham now? I’ve been genuinely surprised by the complete lack there of up until now. You have a genuine superstar there, not a pretend one like those that have gone before him.
I've been watching him for a while now and looks a star in the making. With Ellis Jenkins and not Toby due back soon our BR stocks seem be high.
bessantj

Post by bessantj »

cubby boi wrote:Will the Drags supporters on here finally start getting excited about Basham now? I’ve been genuinely surprised by the complete lack there of up until now. You have a genuine superstar there, not a pretend one like those that have gone before him.
Start? We've been pretty hyped since before he was in the Wales U20 squad.
penguin

Post by penguin »

bessantj wrote:
Getting excited is the first step towards crushing disappointment...it's inadvisable.

That said, I've been excited about him since his debut against the Scarlets under Jackman - top carrier and top tackler in that game and he was barely 18 at that point. Fast feet and a faster rugby brain - some player already. If the league was only about backrows the Dragons would be first class...sadly people insist on having front 5s too, which is virtually cheating in my book.

However with some CVC funding we should be able to upgrade to broke, so more cause for excitement.
penguin

Post by penguin »

Wales Online suggesting Moriarty is being courted by other clubs. Bit torn on this - I do rate him highly but he's a big chunk of cash and in a position where we have more than a few quality players. Wainwright, Griffiths, Basham, Keddie, Taylor, Cudd to come back...and the other youngsters like Greggains, and Fry, who has a budget Picamoles look about his carrying - hard to put down.

If we have more money to spend then it would be good on one level to keep him, but if you told me the only way we could get a new high quality ball carrying lock and a new loosehead was to let him go then I'd be tempted.
Frodder

Post by Frodder »

penguin wrote:Wales Online suggesting Moriarty is being courted by other clubs. Bit torn on this - I do rate him highly but he's a big chunk of cash and in a position where we have more than a few quality players. Wainwright, Griffiths, Basham, Keddie, Taylor, Cudd to come back...and the other youngsters like Greggains, and Fry, who has a budget Picamoles look about his carrying - hard to put down.

If we have more money to spend then it would be good on one level to keep him, but if you told me the only way we could get a new high quality ball carrying lock and a new loosehead was to let him go then I'd be tempted.
Interesting. Tips is apparently being courted by Bristol. With the 60 cap rule under threat could this be the start of the next exodus?
bessantj

Post by bessantj »

penguin wrote:
bessantj wrote:
Getting excited is the first step towards crushing disappointment...it's inadvisable.

That said, I've been excited about him since his debut against the Scarlets under Jackman - top carrier and top tackler in that game and he was barely 18 at that point. Fast feet and a faster rugby brain - some player already. If the league was only about backrows the Dragons would be first class...sadly people insist on having front 5s too, which is virtually cheating in my book.

However with some CVC funding we should be able to upgrade to broke, so more cause for excitement.
penguin wrote:Wales Online suggesting Moriarty is being courted by other clubs. Bit torn on this - I do rate him highly but he's a big chunk of cash and in a position where we have more than a few quality players. Wainwright, Griffiths, Basham, Keddie, Taylor, Cudd to come back...and the other youngsters like Greggains, and Fry, who has a budget Picamoles look about his carrying - hard to put down.

What is Moriarty's contact is it something like £400,000? Like you say the Dragons have cover for that position. That and some small part of the CVC cash could really help the Dragons where it is most needed.
penguin

Post by penguin »

bessantj wrote:
penguin wrote:
bessantj wrote:

What is Moriarty's contact is it something like £400,000? Like you say the Dragons have cover for that position. That and some small part of the CVC cash could really help the Dragons where it is most needed.
I think so. We could get a full time defence coach rather than borrowing one from Worcester college. Trawl the ITM for a few decent quality/low cost players to bolster the ranks, bring back a couple of lower cost Welsh qualified players...and if we have enough money from CVC bring back Toby, so we can look after him.
penguin

Post by penguin »

Frodder wrote:

Interesting. Tips is apparently being courted by Bristol. With the 60 cap rule under threat could this be the start of the next exodus?
Tips is on 72 caps so unless they really ramp it up he's going to be able to leave if he wants. Moriarty on the other hand is only on 39 so he needs a couple more years - going to be tough for him to earn much more without quitting Wales and his international future.
penguin

Post by penguin »

A couple more takes from the WRU’s AGM. Based on what I heard, it does look as though we could well be heading to central contracts for the top 38 Welsh players, while the Union focus is firmly on retaining and repatriating Welsh talent.
A tweet from Simon Thomas...
Not Frankie

Post by Not Frankie »

We're just keeping quiet about it as the Vultures will soon circle, as they already are for Wainwright, and from what I've heard, Cory Hill who is off to the Blues x( .
bessantj

Post by bessantj »

penguin wrote:
A couple more takes from the WRU’s AGM. Based on what I heard, it does look as though we could well be heading to central contracts for the top 38 Welsh players, while the Union focus is firmly on retaining and repatriating Welsh talent.
Is that really likely? Remember when the regions started and Henry was of the opinion that all players should be employed by the WRU and distributed evenly to the regions?
Not Frankie

Post by Not Frankie »

bessantj wrote:
penguin wrote:
Is that really likely? Remember when the regions started and Henry was of the opinion that all players should be employed by the WRU and distributed evenly to the regions?
Evenly, just not that evenly.
penguin

Post by penguin »

bessantj wrote:
penguin wrote:
No idea if it's likely. I would imagine if he's heard it then it's in the mix, but doesn't necessarily mean it will come to pass.

Wouldn't be sure about complete WRU control, but I'm not a big fan of the mix and match approach we have now.
penguin

Post by penguin »

Not Frankie wrote:
We're just keeping quiet about it as the Vultures will soon circle, as they already are for Wainwright, and from what I've heard, Cory Hill who is off to the Blues x( .
Seriously? Piss. That would be a good bit of business for them, but would suuuck for us.
bessantj

Post by bessantj »

penguin wrote:
bessantj wrote:
penguin wrote:
No idea if it's likely. I would imagine if he's heard it then it's in the mix, but doesn't necessarily mean it will come to pass.

Wouldn't be sure about complete WRU control, but I'm not a big fan of the mix and match approach we have now.
Hope if it does come it works better than the last batch of central contracts.
penguin

Post by penguin »

bessantj wrote:
penguin wrote:
bessantj wrote:
penguin wrote:

Hope if it does come it works better than the last batch of central contracts.
With the likes of Rory Thornton getting one because he was tall? Flawless execution...don't know what you are on about.