Chat Forum
It is currently Sun May 31, 2020 10:14 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24242 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 607  Next
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:16 pm 

Having played France with 14 men on the greatest stage of all and missed out by a whisker, Im thinking that's some preparation for this game.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:18 pm 

I'm hearing rumours of Gatland going with:

1. Paul James
2. Hibbard
3. Gill
4. Evans
5. Giraffe
6. Ryan
7. Shingler
8. Powell
9. Lloyd
10. Wellies
11. Tom James
12. Henson
13. Scott
14. Halfpenny
15. Byrne

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:29 pm 

celestialstorm3000 wrote:

1. Paul James
2. Hibbard
3. Gill
4. Evans
5. Giraffe
6. Ryan
7. Shingler
8. Powell
9. Lloyd
10. Wellies
11. Tom James
12. Henson
13. Scott
14. Halfpenny
15. Byrne

fudge off DD, go troll the Irish.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:29 pm 

1. Paul James
2. Hibbard
3. Gill
4. Evans
5. Giraffe
6. Ryan
7. Shingler
8. Powell
9. Lloyd
10. Wellies
11. Tom James
12. Henson
13. Scott
14. Halfpenny
15. Byrne

I think you should take a few lessons off Henry and learn how it's done properly.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:40 pm 

1. Paul James
2. Hibbard
3. Gill
4. Evans
5. Giraffe
6. Ryan
7. Shingler
8. Powell
9. Lloyd
10. Wellies
11. Tom James
12. Henson
13. Scott
14. Halfpenny
15. Byrne

Poor. Arthur Emyr drop goal type poor.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:54 pm 

I wonder if Clarteris will feature in the remaining 2 matches

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:20 am 

So if the Jaw is out its between Williams and Beck for inside centre. Im just glad Howley didn't mention Hook or Henson as posible options for the 12 shirt.

Quote:
Wales' Twickenham hero Scott Williams faces a challenge from Ashley Beck if Jamie Roberts is ruled unfit to face Italy in the Six Nations on Saturday.

Scarlet Williams, 21, replaced knee-injury victim Roberts to score the winning try against England as Wales sealed the Triple Crown on 25 February.

But uncapped Osprey Beck, also 21, could instead debut against Italy.

Assistant coach Rob Howley said: "If Jamie doesn't come through, Scott or Ashley will have that opportunity."

Lock Luke Chateris is also in contention following his successful return from wrist surgery in Newport Gwent Dragons' Pro12 defeat by Munster on Friday.

British and Irish Lion Roberts came off at half-time against England after sustaining a blow in the opening period and Howley says Wales remain hopeful he will be passed fit.

Wales are scheduled to name their team to face Italy at 1300 GMT on Tuesday, but Howley admits Roberts' fitness may not be confirmed until 24 hours later.

That could give Williams or Beck the chance to start against the Azzurri at the Millennium Stadium.

Williams blew a try-scoring chance against England when he failed to release with a two-man overlap and the line at Wales' mercy.

But he redeemed himself by stealing the ball from lock Courtney Lawes before chipping ahead and gathering to score.

“Ashley Beck has been one of the form centres for his region and in Wales and, obviously, Scott Williams has made a huge impression”

However, Howley says Beck has also impressed amid strong competition for midfield places.

"Scott Williams and Ashley Beck have trained very well," said the Wales assistant coach.

"Scott Williams has made a huge impression when he came on last week.

"The competition for places whether it's Jamie, Jon Davies or Scott jumping in or Ashley, it's keeping our options open.

"Competition for places is good to have those options available.

"Ashley Beck has been one of the form centres for his region and in Wales and, obviously, Scott Williams has made a huge impression following on from his Rugby World Cup.

"So if Jamie doesn't come through, Scott or Ashley will have that opportunity."

Howley also confirmed Gavin Henson is not in contention after suffering a calf strain while training with Cardiff Blues.

"I think he had a calf injury - got injured with the Blues last week so he's had flu since, I think," said Howley.

But fly-half hopeful James Hook recovered from chicken pox to play in Perpignan's 22-17 defeat by Agen at the weekend after being ruled out of bench duty at Twickenham.

Charteris comes back into contention after recovering from wrist surgery, which has kept him out of action since playing a starring role for Wales at the 2011 World Cup.

Bradley Davies was banned after a tip tackle in Wales' opening win against Ireland in Dublin, leaving Ospreys Ian Evans, Alun Wyn Jones and Ryan Jones to contest the second-row spots.

Alun Wyn Jones returned from a dislocated toe to take over from Ryan Jones as Evans' second-row partner in the win over England.

Howley says that, unusually, Wales' strength in depth has increased as the tournament has progressed with players such as Alun Wyn Jones and Charteris returning from injury.

He also insisted Wales will field their strongest available team against the visitors and not repeat events of 2009 when they sent a weakened team to Rome and needed a late Tom Shanklin try to avoid defeat.

Howley pledged: "We'll pick our strongest side available, without a shadow of a doubt.

"I think it's so important in terms of we respect Italy and we know it's going to be a hard game so we need to pick our strongest side."

Wales are unbeaten against Italy at the Millennium Stadium and only Warren Gatland's men can now win a Grand Slam this year after Ireland ended France's 100% Six Nations record by holding them to a 17-17 draw in Paris.

Italy have beaten Wales in Rome, in 2003 and 2007 , and also held the Welsh in Cardiff in 2006.

WALES SQUAD

Backs: Mike Phillips (Bayonne), Lloyd Williams (Cardiff Blues), Rhys Webb (Ospreys), Rhys Priestland (Scarlets), James Hook (Perpignan), Stephen Jones (Scarlets), Jamie Roberts (Cardiff Blues), Jonathan Davies (Scarlets), Scott Williams (Scarlets), Gavin Henson (Cardiff Blues), Ashley Beck (Ospreys), George North (Scarlets), Leigh Halfpenny (Cardiff Blues), Alex Cuthbert (Cardiff Blues), Harry Robinson (Cardiff Blues), Liam Williams (Scarlets), Lee Byrne (Clermont Auvergne)

Forwards: Craig Mitchell (Exeter Chiefs), Adam Jones (Ospreys), Ryan Bevington (Ospreys), Gethin Jenkins (Cardiff Blues), Paul James (Ospreys), Rhys Gill (Saracens), Rhodri Jones (Scarlets), Matthew Rees (Scarlets), Huw Bennett (Ospreys), Ken Owens (Scarlets), Richard Hibbard (Ospreys), Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys), Ian Evans (Ospreys), Lou Reed (Scarlets), Luke Charteris (Newport Gwent Dragons), Ryan Jones (Ospreys), Dan Lydiate (Newport Gwent Dragons), Sam Warburton (capt, Cardiff Blues), Justin Tipuric (Ospreys), Toby Faletau (Newport Gwent Dragons), Andy Powell (Sale Sharks), Aaron Shingler (Scarlets).

Linky

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:01 am 

Quote:
Howley says that, unusually, Wales' strength in depth has increased as the tournament has progressed with players [...] returning from injury.

Nice, that !

Points on the board notwithstanding, I thought we had the Irish well beaten, and they looked the match of the French, so I'm sitting near the front on the Grand Slam bandwagon !

Fcuk the Mockers !

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:02 am 

Henson has a calf-strain apparently and he has now developed flu..

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:12 am 

coal wrote:

fudge Henson. He is irrelevant. :x

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:16 am 

roughneck wrote:
coal wrote:

Last couple of times I watched him he looked impressive. Running beautiful lines, great timing on passes, hitting lots of rucks and making tackles. I am glad we don't rely on having him but he is a nice option to have. Whatever you think of the guy, Gatland and Edwards like him and that says something. No need for him this tournament and he has to keep doing it to get ahead of Beck and Scott Williams in the pecking order but I wouldn't be surprised to see him back in the wales squad by the end of the season.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:09 pm 

roughneck wrote:
coal wrote:

I thought all the Henson deriders would enjoy the news. Sorry :?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:17 pm 

coal wrote:
roughneck wrote:
coal wrote:

Sorry coal, not having a go at you like.

I just find it silly that he is still talked about as an option when there are two on form, young, professional 12s waiting to step up.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:33 pm 

roughneck wrote:
coal wrote:
roughneck wrote:
coal wrote:

Sorry coal, not having a go at you like.

I just find it silly that he is still talked about as an option when there are two on form, young, professional 12s waiting to step up.

Yeah me too. What is it about him...some folk just attract press. He hasn't managed to get a good run under his belt since he returned.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:11 pm 

Quote:
Newport Gwent Dragons claim to have released eight players from their squad for the 2012-2013 season.

But one of them, full-back Martyn Thomas, said on Twitter that he turned down a new deal.

Thomas tweeted: "Just to put the record straight, I was offered a new deal but have decided to move on."

Backs Tom Riley and Jamies Leadbeater join forwards Gethin Robinson, Rhys Buckley, Royce Cadman, Hugo Ellis and Rhys Jenkins in also leaving.

"The decision... has been reached after discussions with head coach Darren Edwards and his coaching team," said director of rugby Robert Beale.

"[It was] based on future business plans and the direction the management team and squad will follow.

"The players concerned have been formally thanked for their efforts whilst representing the regional team."

As well as those eight the Dragons will also lose Luke Charteris and Aled Brew, who will be joining French clubs, and Jason Tovey, who is moving to Cardiff Blues.

On top of that former skipper Tom Willis and prop Ben Castle have been forced to retire due to injury.

DAC will soon have to change his chant to "No one plays for us and we don't care"

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:08 pm 

Also Prem. results from last night

Quote:
Bedwas 19 Llanelli 21,

Bridgend 3 Llandovery 17,

Cardiff 20 Aberavon 16,

Cross Keys 42 Swansea 7,

Newport 24 Pontypridd 15,

Pontypool 11 Neath 20,

Carmarthen Quins 49 Tonmawr 0

Newport on a good mini run, beating Neath and Pontypridd. good win for Cardiff as well, table:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:54 pm 

6 Nations basically decided. Bored as fudge.
Discuss

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:57 pm 

Heres one.
Looking ahead to 2013 6n's. England and ireland at home - another 6n's championship?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:58 pm 

3 Scarlets feeder clubs in the top 4, things are looking up, hopefully there's a world class tighthead, lock and no.8 coming through the system ready for next season or the regional team will be f**ked. :(

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:59 pm 

muffstuffa wrote:
Heres one.
Looking ahead to 2013 6n's. England and ireland at home - another 6n's championship?

Now now mun less of it. Leave that sort of stuff for the Saes

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:19 pm 

7N31 wrote:
3 Scarlets feeder clubs in the top 4, things are looking up, hopefully there's a world class tighthead, lock and no.8 coming through the system ready for next season or the regional team will be f**ked. :(

Pack will be worse next season. No Day, Reed, RT and from what i have heard I Thomas wont be around.
That leaves P John, R Jones, gardner, the meat and manu. if they dont sign some fucker well....

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:53 pm 

Clean bill of health by the looks of things

Who starts at lock is probably the only selection headache

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:58 pm 

muffstuffa wrote:
7N31 wrote:

Pack will be worse next season. No Day, Reed, RT and from what i have heard I Thomas wont be around.
That leaves P John, R Jones, gardner, the meat and manu. if they dont sign some fucker well....

I like the look of Rhodri Jones - could be a great opportunity for him with no Iestyn around. Where's Reed off to?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:59 pm 

Blues i am hearing

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:02 pm 

muffstuffa wrote:
Blues i am hearing

When they already have Brad, Tito and most of the u20 locks coming through? Seems like a bad choice that.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:35 am 

Roberts gooooooooonnneee!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Walesonline Rugby ‏ @WalesRugby

Breaking news: Jamie Roberts is out for 6 months with medial knee ligament injury #rugby #wales #cardiffblues

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:44 am 

Quote:
Jamie Roberts ruled out for six months with knee injury

WALES and Cardiff Blues centre Jamie Roberts will be out for six months with a knee injury.

The news comes as a massive blow to the region and Warren Gatland, with Roberts now ruled out the summer tour to Australia.

The centre has injured the same knee four times this season, culminating in his early exit from the Blues' bruising defeat in Glasgow on Friday night.

And he will now undergo surgery to correct the persistant problem that has hampered him all season.

Roberts has previously been withdrawn from matches against Racing Metro, the Dragons, and England this season.

A disappointed Roberts said: "First and foremost, I'm pretty devastated to be missing this weekend's Heineken Cup quarter final match against Leinster, in what is our biggest match of the season."

"It's a match I've been looking forward to for a long time but unfortunately my body hasn't quite allowed me to be a part of such a huge occasion for us as a region."

"I originally injured my knee in Paris playing against Racing Metro after returning from the World Cup."

"With the fantastic help from the medical staff at the Blues and Welsh Rugby Union, I was able to rehab my knee well enough to get me through a handful of games for the Blues and the successful Grand Slam Six Nations campaign with Wales."

"However, following my injury in the match against Glasgow on Friday night I've been advised by the knee surgeon that my knee is now not stable enough to continue playing and potentially risk further injury to the knee."

"The decision has been made for me to have an operation on the Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL) later this week."

"It will mean a minimum of roughly 6 months away from the playing field."

"I suppose it's a chance for me to get my body fully right for what is a huge season for both club and country, with a certain carrot at the end of it too."

"It will also allow me to continue my focus on the final year of my degree in medicine and the finals I'll be sitting next March."

Linky

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:46 am 

roughneck wrote:
Roberts gooooooooonnneee!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Walesonline Rugby ‏ @WalesRugby

Breaking news: Jamie Roberts is out for 6 months with medial knee ligament injury #rugby #wales #cardiffblues

Well better they treat it properly than keep wheeling him out to break every half hour.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:51 am 

I'd like to see a Beck - Jiffy Jnr centre partnership for the first oz test.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:58 am 

Looks like the Blues could do with some cover at 12.....

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:00 pm 

roughneck wrote:

I'm really impressed with Beck - seems to have so much time on the ball. Think he will still be behind Scott Williams so unlikely to see him start the 1st Oz test, I would have thought?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:03 pm 

roughneck wrote:

Might force us to actually play some rugby, instead of just relying on the bosh. Roberts hasn't been right for a while, and was nursed by Jiffy Jnr through this 6 Nations campaign.

Although I'd like to see Beck go out there, I think it'll almost certainly be a Williams/Jiffy centre partnership.

The other option is a potential Hook/Jiffy centre combo.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:06 pm 

dantedelew wrote:
Looks like the Blues could do with some cover at 12.....

Sign Henson after a 2week cooling off period

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:07 pm 

Jeff the Bear wrote:

Ych a fi x(

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:08 pm 

penguin wrote:
roughneck wrote:

I'm really impressed with Beck - seems to have so much time on the ball. Think he will still be behind Scott Williams so unlikely to see him start the 1st Oz test, I would have thought?

He is in such good form at the moment. I'm a big fan of Scott Williams but I think Beck and Jiffy Jnr would complement each other better.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:09 pm 

roughneck wrote:
Jeff the Bear wrote:

Ych a fi x(

Say what you like, but it's a dirty secret that one of the reasons we won this years 6 Nations was Hooks timely interventions as injury cover.

Several times he came on and gave Priestland an outlet, and with the added ball player in the middle of the field, we looked more potent.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:11 pm 

Jeff the Bear wrote:
roughneck wrote:
Jeff the Bear wrote:

Ych a fi x(

Say what you like, but it's a dirty secret that one of the reasons we won this years 6 Nations was Hooks timely interventions as injury cover.

Several times he came on and gave Priestland an outlet, and with the added ball player in the middle of the field, we looked more potent.

At full back in a roaming 2nd/alternative 1st reciever role. He did well and I don't mind that. I just dont want him starting @ 12 with the other options we have. Beck or Williams.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 5:34 pm 

Scarlets ins/ outs
Out:
Rhys Thomas retired
I Thomas retired
Day
Reed
Manu
Morgan
Evans
Wellies

IN
Carrisa
K Phillips
Cai Griffiths :blush:
Rumours we are also on the verge to sign another TH and a lock. Expect they will be shit. Roll on next season

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 6:09 pm 

muffstuffa wrote:
Scarlets ins/ outs
Out:
Rhys Thomas retired
I Thomas retired
Day
Reed
Manu
Morgan
Evans
Wellies

IN
Carrisa
K Phillips
Cai Griffiths :blush:
Rumours we are also on the verge to sign another TH and a lock. Expect they will be shit. Roll on next season

I've heard Deac's is staying, Carizza looks a good signing if it's true. we need a top class 3 though.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 6:12 pm 

6 pages! The Scots are up over 40 pages and they don't even really have a rugby team. What's going on lads?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24242 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 607  Next