Chat Forum
It is currently Wed May 27, 2020 1:23 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24219 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 582, 583, 584, 585, 586, 587, 588 ... 606  Next
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:43 pm 

Ceejay wrote:
penguin wrote:
WOL reporting that Carre is about to rejoin the Blues on a permanent basis. Looked likely but still good news.

Cracking news for us :thumbup:

Hooker and second row now and we'll be setting up nicely.

Certainly is good news. Now let's get Anscombe back as he'll be wasted at the Os

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:10 pm 

Another page down

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:18 pm 

Some tragic articles in the fail today. I go on there in a hope rather than an expectation that there will be something worth a click yet I find myself reading about how Ken Owens has stinky farts. The Fail gonna Fail.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:41 pm 

Jeff the Bear wrote:
Wales win with a fair bit to spare in the end. Important things to note from the game:

Wales won the kicking battle
Wales won the backrow battle
And most importantly, Wales won the fitness battle.

Big shout out to Preistland's passing. Yes, Ireland were playing a drift defence, but there didn't seem to be one pass from him that wasn't sweet as a nut.

Maybe its hindsight, but this feels like the start of Wales proper under Gatland and Edwards. The Edwards defence was purring, and Gatland's 'beating the opposition around the corner' routine is in full effect. There was also a plethora of young and hungry players, all of which were able to impact the game in a positive way.

As has been mentioned numerous times, this was our best chance to have won it in my opinion...although, if memory serves, by the end of the France game, I was wondering whether we'd have a competitive team had we made the final due to bans and injuries. Still, it would have been nice to have had the chance.

Loved that game. We were so superior it wasn’t even funny. Absolutely battered and outclassed them in every facet. Their golden generation sent packing. We were a serious force at that RWC. Should have beaten SA. Should have beaten shithouse France. Gutted to this day.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:43 pm 

The French/Irish ref extracted revenge in the most hideous way

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:47 pm 

Frodder wrote:
The French/Irish ref extracted revenge in the most hideous way

Didn’t he just.

The prick.

Not even a Grand Slam the next season could lift my gloom.

I lie. It did a bit. Particularly beating the Irish in their backyard.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:50 pm 

And a dubious penalty to gift it to us :smug:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:52 pm 

Derwyn wrote:

Was that the game that Bradley Davies also went berserker?

Regardless of that and the dubious penalty, we were much the better side.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:07 pm 

henry wrote:
Derwyn wrote:

Was that the game that Bradley Davies also went berserker?

Regardless of that and the dubious penalty, we were much the better side.

That’s the one. A few expletives came out of ones mouth when he did. Only got a yellow too!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:11 pm 

Though the Mick probably deserved it tbf

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:18 pm 

henry wrote:
Loved that game. We were so superior it wasn’t even funny. Absolutely battered and outclassed them in every facet. Their golden generation sent packing. We were a serious force at that RWC. Should have beaten SA. Should have beaten shithouse France. Gutted to this day.

Don't know what it was about 2011 but France has Wales number that year.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:22 pm 

bessantj wrote:
henry wrote:

They slaughtered us in the 6N, which was odd. But we should have beaten them in that semi-final, even with 14 men.

They were wank. We lost Adam early doors and then obviously Warburton and we should still have won. Just short with a penalty. Hooky and Jones not going for a drop goal. Gutting.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:24 pm 

henry wrote:
bessantj wrote:
henry wrote:

They slaughtered us in the 6N, which was odd. But we should have beaten them in that semi-final, even with 14 men.

They were wank. We lost Adam early doors and then obviously Warburton and we should still have won. Just short with a penalty. Hooky and Jones not going for a drop goal. Gutting.

Really should have won that semi, about a big a choke as Wales have ever had. The 6N game, France deserved.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:33 pm 

bessantj wrote:
henry wrote:
bessantj wrote:
henry wrote:

Really should have won that semi, about a big a choke as Wales have ever had. The 6N game, France deserved.

I’ve never watched it back.

Saw the game in a bar in Seville and had pretty much told the missus if we won, I was going straight to New Zealand.

Never wanted to go to that irrelevant hole in the South Pacific anyway...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:43 pm 

I was in the Millennium Stadium - watching on the big tele. A strange experience. There were a few tears shed at the final whistle.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:49 pm 

Something all together more sombre: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/51961504

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:54 pm 

Derwyn wrote:
I was in the Millennium Stadium - watching on the big tele. A strange experience. There were a few tears shed at the final whistle.

I was in one of the best pubs in the UK (apparently):

https://www.greatbritishpubawards.co.uk/finalists/

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-on/ ... t-13609532

Although it was a bit more of dump back then. All I remember is being monumentally disappointed, and then realising that there was an air of violence in the pub from the throngs of p[ssed up Valley types. I made my excuses and drove to Manchester to be with the missus.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:46 pm 

Jeff the Bear wrote:
Derwyn wrote:

I was in one of the best pubs in the UK (apparently):

https://www.greatbritishpubawards.co.uk/finalists/

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-on/ ... t-13609532

Although it was a bit more of dump back then. All I remember is being monumentally disappointed, and then realising that there was an air of violence in the pub from the throngs of p[ssed up Valley types. I made my excuses and drove to Manchester to be with the missus.

The glassworks in Cardiff for me that morning, was like all the oxygen was sucked out of the place when Halfpenny's kick was showed on slow mo as dropping just below the bar. At full speed, first time it looked over.

Was like a perfect storm where all our usually deadly kickers had an off day. Devastating then and still is now.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:53 pm 

henry wrote:
Something all together more sombre: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/51961504

Didn't realise that was today, I hope he got a decent crowd.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:11 pm 

bessantj wrote:
henry wrote:

Sadly not possible in such times

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:24 am 

Derwyn wrote:
bessantj wrote:
henry wrote:

Sadly not possible in such times

I meant watching on line.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:09 am 

Today I'm not sure whether to watch Wales v's France 2008 or Ireland v's Wales 2012. It's a toughie

RIP Matthew

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:07 am 

The long rumoured transfer of Cory Hill to the Blues has been confirmed it seems. Not surprised, but still disappointed. With the way funding is going that is a big blow. Dragons in need of some good news on the recruitment front.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:30 am 

penguin wrote:
The long rumoured transfer of Cory Hill to the Blues has been confirmed it seems. Not surprised, but still disappointed. With the way funding is going that is a big blow. Dragons in need of some good news on the recruitment front.

Selfishly speaking that's a good signing for the Blues and him teaming up with Seb is a good combo.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:08 am 

Frodder wrote:
penguin wrote:

Selfishly speaking that's a good signing for the Blues and him teaming up with Seb is a good combo.

And with Carre likely to be back the front 5 finally starts to look decent. Carre, Dacey, Arhip/Lewis, Hill, S Davies. Could still do with a top class hooker, but it's definitely a step forward for you (you utter pricks).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:43 am 

Defo confirmed

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/52139804

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:55 am 

Welsh players have quickly gone from the least valuable commodity, to the most, given this bullshit funding strategy.

Still, whether Hill is a decent lock or not is another matter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:25 pm 

penguin wrote:
Frodder wrote:
penguin wrote:

And with Carre likely to be back the front 5 finally starts to look decent. Carre, Dacey, Arhip/Lewis, Hill, S Davies. Could still do with a top class hooker, but it's definitely a step forward for you (you utter pricks).

Bad news for the dregs that. Absolutely no idea what positives other than not playing in Newport we can offer him right now - but he could be one of those signings that herald others following, so positive for us, no doubt.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:02 pm 

Theflier wrote:
Welsh players have quickly gone from the least valuable commodity, to the most, given this bullshit funding strategy.

Neither have the bulk to be a top class lock. Good but not great. The Blues need some beef. I really hope Seb is the real deal.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:54 pm 

LandOTurk wrote:
Theflier wrote:

Neither have the bulk to be a top class lock. Good but not great. The Blues need some beef. I really hope Seb is the real deal.

:lol: you'd have him in a heartbeat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:01 pm 

Frodder wrote:
LandOTurk wrote:
Theflier wrote:

I still think he needs to add some weight, but he's still young and will fill out. To be fair he is already massive, but an extra stone or two may see him into a category where he really imposes himself and pushes on

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:32 pm 

Frodder wrote:
LandOTurk wrote:
Theflier wrote:

Oh no doubt. I did come across as being dismissive. But he does need more bulk to mix it with the big boys.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:10 pm 

Bois bach. Our posting has fallen off a cliff the past 48 hours.

Ok, 10 best Welsh Lions ever. In no particular order top 25 or so maybe?

JPR
Jeff Squire
Jonathan Davies
AWJ
Gareth Edwards
JJ
Leigh Halfpenny
Gerald Davies
Jack Matthews
Bleddyn Williams
Bryn Meredith
Barry John
Cliff Morgan
Rhys Williams
Ken Jones
Alun Pask
Dewi Bebb
Delme Thomas
Mervyn Davies
Phil Bennett
Graham Price
Ieuan Evans
Scott Gibbs
Gethin Jenkins
Stephen Jones
Sam Warburton

Can we form a team 15-1 from this?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:25 pm 

That well known hooker Dai Young deserves to be on the list

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:39 pm 

Ceejay wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
And now to post something that'll probably get me thrown off this thread for heresy.

Sorry lads, but katherine Jenkins has really gone down dramatically in my estimation

https://mobile.twitter.com/Thund3rB0lt/ ... 7134984192

Yes, I'm sure she'll be gutted.

I used to admire her ample talents much to the chagrin of my mrs, but she now has more than a whiff of stepford wife about her. Saying that, performing for him is pretty shit, he's a grade A cnut.

She's a classical singer, PR moments for the wider public are few and far between. I'm sure that's all she thought it was.

I don't mind Piers so much. A lot of the hatred is because he encourages it on purpose. Everyone who works with him call him a nice guy privately. He at least sometimes passionately defends good causes, like gun control in the USA among others. His show where he interviews a star is actually very good, he's a skilled operator when he isn't being a big mouth. He is still a twat at times.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:11 pm 

henry wrote:
Jeff the Bear wrote:
Wales win with a fair bit to spare in the end. Important things to note from the game:

Wales won the kicking battle
Wales won the backrow battle
And most importantly, Wales won the fitness battle.

Big shout out to Preistland's passing. Yes, Ireland were playing a drift defence, but there didn't seem to be one pass from him that wasn't sweet as a nut.

Maybe its hindsight, but this feels like the start of Wales proper under Gatland and Edwards. The Edwards defence was purring, and Gatland's 'beating the opposition around the corner' routine is in full effect. There was also a plethora of young and hungry players, all of which were able to impact the game in a positive way.

As has been mentioned numerous times, this was our best chance to have won it in my opinion...although, if memory serves, by the end of the France game, I was wondering whether we'd have a competitive team had we made the final due to bans and injuries. Still, it would have been nice to have had the chance.

I think if Wales made the final against NZ, it would have been more gutting to see the ref try everything to ensure NZ didn't lose like against SA.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:37 pm 

eldanielfire wrote:
I think if Wales made the final against NZ, it would have been more gutting to see the ref try everything to ensure NZ didn't lose like against SA.

Not for me. We are a SF team at best. To make the Final would have been something special.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:05 am 

15. JPR Williams
14. Gerald Davies
13. Bleddyn Williams
12. Scott Gibbs
11. JJ Williams
10. Phil Bennett
9. Gareth Edwards

1. Gethin Jenkins
2. Bryn Meredith
3. Graham Price
4. Alun Wyn Jones
5. Rhys Williams
6. Alun Pask
7. Sam Warburton
8. Mervyn Davies

4 Williams, 2 Davies and just 1 Jones.

A few contentious ones no doubt.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:14 am 

Rank Wales' best ever 9s in order.

Just thinking who is on the list? Not in any order yet.

Dai Bishop
Terry Holmes
Johnny Griffiths
Gareth Edwards
Mike Phillips
Dwayne Peel
Rob Howley
Rhys Webb
Chico Hopkins
Robert Jones

I don't know of any before the late 60s. :-/

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:48 am 

LandOTurk wrote:
15. JPR Williams
14. Gerald Davies
13. Bleddyn Williams
12. Scott Gibbs
11. JJ Williams
10. Phil Bennett
9. Gareth Edwards

1. Gethin Jenkins
2. Bryn Meredith
3. Graham Price
4. Alun Wyn Jones
5. Rhys Williams
6. Alun Pask
7. Sam Warburton
8. Mervyn Davies

4 Williams, 2 Davies and just 1 Jones.

A few contentious ones no doubt.

Price at TH?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24219 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 582, 583, 584, 585, 586, 587, 588 ... 606  Next