The Official Welsh Rugby Thread

All things Rugby
eldanielfire

Re: The Official Welsh Rugby Thread

Post by eldanielfire »

LandOTurk wrote:I see Ben Carter as the Dragons lock, but I thought the raging was all about the black lad who played lock, but had some injury. What's his name and is he a v good prospect?
LandOTurk wrote:
LandOTurk wrote:I see Ben Carter as the Dragons lock, but I thought the raging was all about the black lad who played lock, but had some injury. What's his name and is he a v good prospect?
Max Williams - born in Nigeria
https://www.dragonsrugby.wales/teams/pl ... liams.html
Max is not a teenager, he's 21/22, hence he didn't make the list of teen prospects..
Short Man Syndrome

Post by Short Man Syndrome »

Williams, at 6’4, is very Welsh for a second row. I’ll assume that he has an 8 litre V-12 engine with the strength of ten tigers - it would be good if some big(gish) lumps started to come through and stay fit.
Jeff the Bear

Post by Jeff the Bear »

I've seen literally nothing that suggests Max Williams is a future top level international. I hope I'm wrong, but if you can't stand out in a team of average players liuke the Dragons, then your just not going to make it at any higher levels (contrast that to plays like Basham and Griffiths, who regularly put in MOTM performances in a struggling teams).
Short Man Syndrome

Jeff the Bear wrote:I've seen literally nothing that suggests Max Williams is a future top level international. I hope I'm wrong, but if you can't stand out in a team of average players liuke the Dragons, then your just not going to make it at any higher levels (contrast that to plays like Basham and Griffiths, who regularly put in MOTM performances in a struggling teams).
Truth accepted. I remember 19yr old Samwise Underhill battering the Clermont Auvergne lads into submission, shame he turned out to be an orc.
Frodder

Post by Frodder »

WOL and BBC both reporting if the Fat Saes has agreed a new contract with the Chiefs it's over for him re-Wales. Was he offered a contract by any of the regions?
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

Frodder wrote:WOL and BBC both reporting if the Fat Saes has agreed a new contract with the Chiefs it's over for him re-Wales. Was he offered a contract by any of the regions?
Didn't the WRU say they were going to review the whole thing? He's on 47 caps, so if the review came down to 40 or 45, you can safely say its because of him. I think the suggestion of reducing it as long as it was included Welsh regional appearances was a smart idea. So 30 Welsh + 50/60 regional or 50/60 Welsh if outside Wales. It will be a tough decision to make but they have to be consistent.
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

Sione Kalamafoni: Scarlets confirm signing of Tonga back-rower

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/53395950
Theflier

Post by Theflier »

See Scarlets have signed Johnny williams, good runner should be happy with that.

here's a picture if you don't know him

I wonder if he'll have the same vitriol Anscombe and Halaholo recieved upon Welsh selection,
something* tells me not

*Something being the calibre of character of our western brethren
Short Man Syndrome

Hey, anyone who went to Park Lane primary school is obviously going to be an excellent rugby player and a stand up bloke so let’s forgive him his youthful international mistakes. Besides, do you know how hard it was to break into that Welsh youth team? Poor guy just wanted a taste of international rugby.
New guy

Post by New guy »

What vitriol did Anscombe receive?
New guy

Post by New guy »

Short Man Syndrome wrote:Hey, anyone who went to Park Lane primary school is obviously going to be an excellent rugby player and a stand up bloke so let’s forgive him his youthful international mistakes. Besides, do you know how hard it was to break into that Welsh youth team? Poor guy just wanted a taste of international rugby.
Anybody with a surname of William's, Jones, Thomas etc. should be playing for Wales anyway.
Short Man Syndrome

New guy wrote:
Short Man Syndrome wrote:Hey, anyone who went to Park Lane primary school is obviously going to be an excellent rugby player and a stand up bloke so let’s forgive him his youthful international mistakes. Besides, do you know how hard it was to break into that Welsh youth team? Poor guy just wanted a taste of international rugby.
Anybody with a surname of William's, Jones, Thomas etc. should be playing for Wales anyway.
There’s plenty of examples of those who shouldn’t have, too.

Come to think of it, maybe the Welsh youth selectors are prejudiced against Park Lane alumni... cos I never got the call, either!
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

LandOTurk wrote:
Frodder wrote:WOL and BBC both reporting if the Fat Saes has agreed a new contract with the Chiefs it's over for him re-Wales. Was he offered a contract by any of the regions?
Didn't the WRU say they were going to review the whole thing? He's on 47 caps, so if the review came down to 40 or 45, you can safely say its because of him. I think the suggestion of reducing it as long as it was included Welsh regional appearances was a smart idea. So 30 Welsh + 50/60 regional or 50/60 Welsh if outside Wales. It will be a tough decision to make but they have to be consistent.
So Francis needs 13 caps, and there are 13 caps available before his current contract expires. If he is 2/3 short, will the WRU make an exception, try to get him to be loaned out to a Welsh region for a year, or say screw him? Alternatively, they may change the 60 cap rule by then.
C69

Post by C69 »

LandOTurk wrote:
LandOTurk wrote:
So Francis needs 13 caps, and there are 13 caps available before his current contract expires. If he is 2/3 short, will the WRU make an exception, try to get him to be loaned out to a Welsh region for a year, or say screw him? Alternatively, they may change the 60 cap rule by then.
The rule should be changed.
Frodder

Post by Frodder »

We need the Fat Saes more than we need that rule. The drop off after him is huge
Short Man Syndrome

Frodder wrote:We need the Fat Saes more than we need that rule. The drop off after him is huge
I still think Big Bad Leon Brown will come good but yes it would be infuriating if we lose Tomos.
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

Short Man Syndrome wrote:
Frodder wrote:We need the Fat Saes more than we need that rule. The drop off after him is huge
I still think Big Bad Leon Brown will come good but yes it would be infuriating if we lose Tomos.
I like that. Maybe Bad Bad Leon Brown to be more accurate, but I think that's gonna stick for me. Here it is with my favourite signer - ole blue eyes at MSG, looking older than the 58 years he had on the planet up to that point.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7368lojuUo
Ceejay

Post by Ceejay »

LandOTurk wrote:
LandOTurk wrote:
He was always going to choose his club over country, but I guess if he's able to play the next 13 games he'll be at 60 and there's bound to be wriggle room for him with covid blah blah blah. It would be a bit of a slap in the face though to all those who're staying or heading back due to that rule if they now change it for him. It should stay in place as it's having the desired effect.
Short Man Syndrome

LandOTurk wrote:
I like that. Maybe Bad Bad Leon Brown to be more accurate, but I think that's gonna stick for me. Here it is with my favourite signer - ole blue eyes at MSG, looking older than the 58 years he had on the planet up to that point.
Ah, whoops! I thought it was Big, bad Leroy Brown... but yeah, that’s what I was going for. Follows up BBB Davies, too.

Frank did a lot of living, to be fair to him... he lived a life that’s full, travelled each and every highway...
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

LandOTurk wrote:
Ah, whoops! I thought it was Big, bad Leroy Brown... but yeah, that’s what I was going for. Follows up BBB Davies, too.

Frank did a lot of living, to be fair to him... he lived a life that’s full, travelled each and every highway...
And he did it his way.
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

Who would be in your East v West Teams? I.e WQ and play for one of four regions.
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

Also County of Origin Teams. Can play for any team not just the 4 regions.

Lets go with Carms, W Glam, South Glam, Cardiff, Gwent and Valleys maybe?

Existing players first, then any player from whatever decade.
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

Carms
Current players

15 Jordan Williams
14 Josh Adams
13 Adam Warren
12 Scott Williams
11 Steff Evans
10 Rhys Priestland
9 Gareth Davies
7 Cubby
3 Samson Lee
2 Ken Owens
1 Wyn Jones

A good number were born outside of Carms - Foxy, Shingler Mawr, Josh MacLeod, Rob Evs, ...
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

There were rumours that Scarlets were going to loan Ospreys Sam Costelow for (part of?) the season. Looks like they got Myler in now.
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

Jesus bois. I feel like I am at the Liberty. Where are you all?
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

Carms
All time players

15 Clive Griffiths
14 Gerald Davies
13 Jon Davies
12 Ray Gravelle
11 Ieuan Evans
10 Phil Bennett (or Barry John, Jonathan Davies, Stephen Jones)
9 Mike Philips (or Dwayne Peel)
8 Scott Quinnell
7 James Davies
6 Hefin Jenkins
5 Delme Thomas
4 Derek Quinnell
3 Laurence Delaney
2 Ken Owens
1 Wyn Jones
Frodder

Post by Frodder »

LandOTurk wrote:Jesus bois. I feel like I am at the Liberty. Where are you all?
We're keeping the NPR thread up. Only the Irish can keep 2 threads going
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

Jaw to MLR not Gwent?
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

Sean Fitzpatrick added to Scarlets board.
https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/53511178
GWO2

Post by GWO2 »

Mike Ruddock signs three year deal with Ospreys.
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

GWO2 wrote:Mike Ruddock signs three year deal with Ospreys.
Saw that. Good signing. Will be more beneficial than I think Fitzpatrick will be for us.
GWO2

Post by GWO2 »

LandOTurk wrote:
GWO2 wrote:Mike Ruddock signs three year deal with Ospreys.
Saw that. Good signing. Will be more beneficial than I think Fitzpatrick will be for us.

He`s already done a lot of good things. Glad to have him aboard.
New guy

Post by New guy »

Hearing Ellis Jenkins may be forced to retire. Gutted for the guy.

If confirmed it wouldn't come as a massive surprise. 12 month+ injury lay offs rarely seem to end well.
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rug ... w-18679053

Tommo, the voice of the Scarlets, and larger than life person has passed away. Very sad - only early 50s, but he had (non-covid) health issues.
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

New guy wrote:Hearing Ellis Jenkins may be forced to retire. Gutted for the guy.

If confirmed it wouldn't come as a massive surprise. 12 month+ injury lay offs rarely seem to end well.
This seems more positive.

Ellis Jenkins

It’s now 20 months since the Cardiff Blues flanker suffered a catastrophic knee injury during the final seconds of his Man of the Match performance for Wales against South Africa.

The length of absence is a reflection of the scale of the damage he suffered back in November 2018, with surgery required on both his cruciate and medial ligaments, along with his tendons.

It’s been a long, hard road back, with a few bumps along the way.

The plan was for him to start running again by the end of this month, providing he continued to make good progress in his rehab.

August’s Welsh derbies may come a bit too soon for him, but the hope is he will be available for the start of next season in early October.

Just to see him on the pitch again would be such a boost after everything he has been through.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rug ... y-18675651
Short Man Syndrome

The only thing trying harder to desperately cling on to life and structure than Ellis' knee is this thread.
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

Short Man Syndrome wrote:The only thing trying harder to desperately cling on to life and structure than Ellis' knee is this thread.
Test of character that's all.
New guy

Post by New guy »

Reading that article, I'd forgotten how many Welsh players had serious long term injuries.

Hopefully the break has done them all good.
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

New guy wrote:Reading that article, I'd forgotten how many Welsh players had serious long term injuries.

Hopefully the break has done them all good.
Nice pun.
Frodder

Post by Frodder »

Right guys it's clear we can't keep 2 threads going. Do we go all in on NPR?