Chat Forum
It is currently Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:03 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 11:04 am 

Quote:
Broadcaster Danny Baker has been fired by the BBC over his "stupid unthinking gag" on Twitter about the Duke and Duchess of Sussex's new baby.

The now deleted tweet, which has been circulated on social media, showed an image of a couple holding hands with a chimpanzee dressed in clothes with the caption: "Royal Baby leaves hospital".

The 5Live presenter was accused of mocking the duchess's racial heritage.

A BBC spokesperson said: "This was a serious error of judgment."

The corporation added that Baker's tweet "goes against the values we as a station aim to embody.

"Danny's a brilliant broadcaster but will no longer be presenting a weekly show with us."

How can celebrities walk the social media tightrope?
Harry and Meghan, whose mother Doria Ragland is African American, revealed on Wednesday their new son was named Archie Harrison Mountbatten-Windsor.

After an initial backlash on social media, Baker said: "Sorry my gag pic of the little fella in the posh outfit has whipped some up. Never occurred to me because, well, mind not diseased.

"Soon as those good enough to point out its possible connotations got in touch, down it came. And that's it."

The 61-year-old presented a weekend show on 5Live.

Earlier, Baker told his half a million followers on Twitter that he has been doorstepped by reporters at his home, saying he was asked: "Do you think black people look like monkeys?"

His tweet added: "No mate. Gag pic. Posh baby chimp. Alerted to circs. Appalled. Deleted. Apologised."

In a following tweet, he added: "Would have used same stupid pic for any other Royal birth or Boris Johnson kid or even one of my own. It's a funny image. (Though not of course in that context.) Enormous mistake, for sure. Grotesque.

"Anyway, here's to ya Archie, Sorry mate."

Seems odd for such a media luvvie that he didnt have the nouse to realise it would trigger a lot of people.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 11:06 am 

He was always a cnut

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 11:08 am 

His show on a Saturday morning was terrific, if daft.

Absolutely dumb tweet to send, however innocently it was meant.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 11:13 am 

He was actually stupid enough to post that? FFS... :lol:

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 11:15 am 

Anyone would know that in any way relating a mixed race person to a monkey wasn't going to end well regardless of how he intended it.

Doesn't particularly bother me but it shows he has a staggering lack of awareness.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 11:20 am 

lol saw that pic on /b/ moments ago.. poor taste...

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 11:24 am 

Moron...probably didn't mean it - but still :?

...cue the Izzy Folau defenders

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 11:26 am 

Even if the Duchess was white, that would be in poor taste. There are more dignified ways to take a prolonged leave of absence from your job in the meedja.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 11:36 am 

That photo....... :lol: :lol: Suicide by Tweet.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 11:43 am 

should have photshopped this to the bay's head instead

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 11:50 am 

Shame his Saturday morning show was fun to listen to when I was Saturday morning taxi.. Children liked it, now they will want Radio One....

But that tweet, I believe him that he did not mean it in the racist way, but it was the obvious interpretation, rather than his slightly subtle one. In this day and age there is no way he could of kept his job..

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 11:56 am 

He is currently on the phone to LBC

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 12:05 pm 

It never ceases to amaze me how supposedly media trained and savvy people are still capable of taking a career ending massive sh*t on their doorstep when it comes to Twitter.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 12:07 pm 

How very, very silly. I think he can be quite a sanctimonious prick at times so enjoying the schadenfreude a little.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 12:07 pm 

How very, very silly. I think he can be quite a sanctimonious prick at times so enjoying the schadenfreude a little.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 12:11 pm 

sacked for his religious beliefs, whats with all these religious persecution nowadays?

Plastic Sarrie wrote:

I can't give him a pass on that. You would have to have shit for brains to post that without meaning it as a racist joke.

He can’t possibly have intended that in a racist way- surely nobody is that thick?!

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 12:22 pm 

danny_fitz wrote:
It never ceases to amaze me how supposedly media trained and savvy people are still capable of taking a career ending massive sh*t on their doorstep when it comes to Twitter.

It never ceases to amaze me how many utter morons deliberately twist things to look the absolute worst in order to vilify and badger people. Couldn't really give a toss about Baker though.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 12:26 pm 

Anonymous. wrote:
Plastic Sarrie wrote:

I can't give him a pass on that. You would have to have shit for brains to post that without meaning it as a racist joke.

Maybe like me he had no idea that Markle has black heritage. Anyway, I suppose he just didn't think that people would see it as racist when it wasn't meant as racist. I mean why would someone see it as racist when it wasn't meant as racist?

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 12:26 pm 

fatcat wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:

It never ceases to amaze me how many utter morons deliberately twist things to look the absolute worst in order to vilify and badger people. Couldn't really give a toss about Baker though.

I agree with this, but it surely doesn't apply to Baker's case? Here a black mixed race baby is presented as a monkey. I can't believe it never crossed his mind according to his version of events.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 12:27 pm 

I would like to think he imagined he was being funny and mocking royalty with the silly monkey in the bowler hat and didnt put two and two together before retweeting
A simple apology should have sufficed
To lose your job to the twitter mob is dreadful but the way society is going unfortunately

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 12:29 pm 

eldanielfire wrote:
fatcat wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:

I agree with this, but it surely doesn't apply to Baker's case? Here a black mixed race baby is presented as a monkey. I can't believe it never crossed his mind according to his version of events.

I can believe it. Some of us just don't think that way.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 12:30 pm 

fatcat wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
fatcat wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:

Internet Lynch mob has spoken - they want him sacked and to never work again

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 12:37 pm 

A baby orangutan would be funny cause Archie is half american and the current American POTUS is one...but a chimp is just racist..

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 12:41 pm 

fatcat wrote:
Anonymous. wrote:
Plastic Sarrie wrote:

Maybe like me he had no idea that Markle has black heritage. Anyway, I suppose he just didn't think that people would see it as racist when it wasn't meant as racist. I mean why would someone see it as racist when it wasn't meant as racist?

I believe he is lying but I do believe he just meant it as a "harmless joke" it's still a racist joke. I do remember you saying you didn't think the joke you were banned for was racist so just maybe you are not on the same page as most.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 12:56 pm 

Seems a pretty daft thing to do.

But of course PC gorn mad *red face*

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 1:00 pm 

he was silly to post it, he realizes it - maybe losing his job was a bit much this time round...but then again I am not a person of colour and have never had a banana thrown at me...

and yet Boris Johnson makes racist quips and he somehow still has a job with a newspaper and was the foreign f**king secretary

Quote:
What a relief it must be for Blair to get out of England. It is said that the Queen has come to love the Commonwealth, partly because it supplies her with regular cheering crowds of flag-waving piccaninnies; and one can imagine that Blair, twice victor abroad but enmired at home, is similarly seduced by foreign politeness.

They say he is shortly off to the Congo. No doubt the AK47s will fall silent, and the pangas will stop their hacking of human flesh, and the tribal warriors will all break out in watermelon smiles to see the big white chief touch down in his big white British taxpayer-funded bird.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 1:01 pm 

fatcat wrote:
Anonymous. wrote:
Plastic Sarrie wrote:

To be honest, I was astonished to discover Markle was mixed race as I've known, ostensibly caucasian, Mediterraneans darker than her after a couple of days in the sun; but the deluge of coverage her heritage received when it became clear she was intending to marry into the Royal family would leave it pretty bloody difficult to have escaped that fact. Especially in media circles.

It's not a particularly funny gag even without the potential for racist interpretation, even if it was innocently posted. Given the nature of the Twitterati and the supine nature of companies in the face of any outrage, you'd have to be denser than an obese whale's fat layer not to hold on a minute and critically examine everything you post if you've even a semi-public profile.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 1:03 pm 

fatcat wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
fatcat wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:

I agree many people don't see things as the Outrage mob claim. But I genuinely don't think for a sanctimonious, BBC luvie, Corbyn supporter and edgy comedian at it didn't at all cross his mind considering Merkle's race is almost always brought up.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 1:09 pm 

You're never going to be able to post that and keep a job at the BBC.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 1:22 pm 

Dobbin wrote:

This is true. But it is a worry that someone who is quite obviously not a racist is thrown under the bus for being a racist. One idiotic tweet and that's it, all over, branded a racist and gone.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 1:23 pm 

While I feel no offence or outrage but there's no way he couldn't have recognised the post for what is was. Very racist. And to pretend otherwise is pretty insulting.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 1:27 pm 

slick wrote:
Dobbin wrote:

This is true. But it is a worry that someone who is quite obviously not a racist is thrown under the bus for being a racist. One idiotic tweet and that's it, all over, branded a racist and gone.

Hey, the only way to be sure of getting rid of all the racists is to get rid of everyone that someone says is racist. That's how it works.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 1:28 pm 

slick wrote:
Dobbin wrote:

Come on. He'd have to pretty dense not to have been able to make the pretty obvious link between what he was going to post and the whole racist history of such imagery.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 1:29 pm 

A twat being a stupid twat!

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 1:32 pm 

Anonymous. wrote:
fatcat wrote:
Anonymous. wrote:
Plastic Sarrie wrote:

I believe he is lying but I do believe he just meant it as a "harmless joke" it's still a racist joke. I do remember you saying you didn't think the joke you were banned for was racist so just maybe you are not on the same page as most.

So just supposing you thought he was telling the truth and he didn't mean it as a racist joke, is it still a racist joke?

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 1:33 pm 

BokJock wrote:
he was silly to post it, he realizes it - maybe losing his job was a bit much this time round...but then again I am not a person of colour and have never had a banana thrown at me...

and yet Boris Johnson makes racist quips and he somehow still has a job with a newspaper and was the foreign f**king secretary

Quote:
What a relief it must be for Blair to get out of England. It is said that the Queen has come to love the Commonwealth, partly because it supplies her with regular cheering crowds of flag-waving piccaninnies; and one can imagine that Blair, twice victor abroad but enmired at home, is similarly seduced by foreign politeness.

They say he is shortly off to the Congo. No doubt the AK47s will fall silent, and the pangas will stop their hacking of human flesh, and the tribal warriors will all break out in watermelon smiles to see the big white chief touch down in his big white British taxpayer-funded bird.

I believe you've missed the context of that piece.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 1:35 pm 

Working Class Rugger wrote:
While I feel no offence or outrage but there's no way he couldn't have recognised the post for what is was. Very racist. And to pretend otherwise is pretty insulting.

Yeah pretty much this . I’m not one bit put out and I’m certainly not part of the PC brigade but there’s not a chance that he wasn’t aware that the term “monkey “ has been used as a racist slur against black people for hundreds of years . Not a hope someone in his position wasn’t aware of Markel’s heritage either.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 1:37 pm 

Big Labour supporter.

Can you imagine the leftie outrage if he was a Tory.