Chat Forum
It is currently Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:51 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 581 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:05 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 28283
Caley_Red wrote:
Rory Stewart is the sort of person who non-Tory voters would almost support over their Labor and/or the Lib Dems however, when you can't give a wholly coherent and plausible answer to fundamental questions such as 'What makes you a Conservative?' and 'How are your solutions in policy areas Conservative?' then it's not going to attract the party's backbone of voters.


The issue is conservative means different things. Even in the UK pre and post-Thatcher Conservatives are very different things. And a UK conservative is very different to Angela Merkle's brand of conservatism. I don't think it's a steller question that makes or breaks a politician. Though I agree having so eye catching policy ideas you are committed to, even if you don't have the details would help. Last election showed that policy less Tories aren't a huge attraction. Cameron at least knew about presenting a manifesto that is aspirational.


Quote:
One thing he did note in the Spectator podcast, however, is that the the last 30 years have seen insufficient house building and given the externalities caused by land ownership and the profit incentives of oligopolistic construction firms, the only plausible solution is to start compulsory purchasing and government creating the supply (and we need 2m homes in the next parliament).
For people of my age, housing has to be the number one most important issue and no political party in the Western world seems to have the answer- Auckland, Sydney, Melbourne, London, Edinburgh, Vancouver, Toronto, New York etc. are all completely unaffordable for most people unless their parents were lucky enough to have rapid house appreciation which can be bequeathed to their kids.
This has two corrosive effects for the Conservatives- capital owners are far more likely to vote Conservative, how can you convince people that markets (and not governments) are better for general provision when you have so many rigged markets at home which produce such a sub-optimal equilibrium.


The insufficient housing has been a wider issue in the western world. It seems all already big, major and popular cities have housing issues but despite every government promising more building, the reality is regulation, people not wanting green spaces built on, environmental laws all slow it down in places like London where there isn't much else to build upon and large waves of immigration to keep the need for more housing. But yeah conservatives have shot themselves here, Cameron by all accounts kept huge waves of immigration coming in but doing little to build.

That last bit also shows a huge disconnect between conservative polices, which are often globalism and appeasing big business who want large immigration to keep worker prices down and conservative voters who want limits to immigration.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 5797
Looks like Dominic Raab, has well & truly fucked his chances ...

not that the thick cunt should ever have had any.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 5291
Rowdy wrote:
I'd like to see Johnson win, as being the only one with a discernible personality and as someone who will implement Brexit, although Raab is the most straightforward.

Anyway, it'll be another stitch up for a safe pair of Remainer hands. Wiggum's avatar for the win.


I'd like to see the clown win too.
Just to see how much he ca screw it up.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 2178
Like he screwed up London? Oh wait, that was his Labour successor.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 28283
Leinster in London wrote:
Rowdy wrote:
I'd like to see Johnson win, as being the only one with a discernible personality and as someone who will implement Brexit, although Raab is the most straightforward.

Anyway, it'll be another stitch up for a safe pair of Remainer hands. Wiggum's avatar for the win.


I'd like to see the clown win too.
Just to see how much he ca screw it up.



To be honest I don't think Boris will screw up anything significant. He's mostly a delegator as his time as London Mayor showed.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 15151
Location: Investigating racism in the NHS
Rowdy wrote:
Like he screwed up London? Oh wait, that was his Labour successor.


More like how he screwed up being Foreign Secretary


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 5797
eldanielfire wrote:
Leinster in London wrote:
Rowdy wrote:
I'd like to see Johnson win, as being the only one with a discernible personality and as someone who will implement Brexit, although Raab is the most straightforward.

Anyway, it'll be another stitch up for a safe pair of Remainer hands. Wiggum's avatar for the win.


I'd like to see the clown win too.
Just to see how much he ca screw it up.



To be honest I don't think Boris will screw up anything significant. He's mostly a delegator as his time as London Mayor showed.


that's his main problem ... Truman knew what Leadership was all about, & Boris doesn't get it.

Image

At the first sign of trouble, the blonde buffoon runs for the hills; just look at what he did when the vote on the 3rd runway for Heathrow happened.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:01 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 37623
Location: Dublin
Was it true Boris had two Telegraph articles ready to go before he decided which campaign he would back: One on why he backed remain and one why he backed leave?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:44 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 15652
Location: South Oxfordshire
iarmhiman wrote:
Was it true Boris had two Telegraph articles ready to go before he decided which campaign he would back: One on why he backed remain and one why he backed leave?


He claims the pro EU article was to help him frame his Brexit thoughts - but when you read the two side by side it's virtually impossible to believe that


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:05 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:15 pm
Posts: 37125
Location: Planet Rock
fishfoodie wrote:
Looks like Dominic Raab, has well & truly fucked his chances ...

not that the thick cunt should ever have had any.

Quote:
The Speaker of the House, John Bercow, says ending the current session of Parliament to force through a no-deal Brexit is "simply not going to happen".

Tory leadership candidate Dominic Raab has suggested he would be prepared to shut down Parliament to ensure the UK leaves the EU on 31 October.

But the suggestion of using the process - known as prorogation - has led to criticism from many MPs.

The SNP's Pete Wishart called the proposal a "subversion of democracy".

I think the "subversion of democracy" is what the house is indulging in now. They are the ones who overwhelmingly voted to invoke article 50. They are the ones who overwhelmingly voted to put into law that we will leave the EU under one of two conditions. A deal or no deal. They are the ones who had a deal put before them 3 times and rejected it 3 times. Yet they are the ones who are now refusing to let us leave without a deal.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:20 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 20518
Raab: Cannabis at uni
Gove: Cocaine
Stewart: Opium

May as well keep track


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:49 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 24461
Location: Big Willi Style
Is that Gove done then? Will a penchant for the nose candy play well to the blue rinse brigade?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:15 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 15151
Location: Investigating racism in the NHS
SamShark wrote:
Raab: Cannabis at uni
Gove: Cocaine
Stewart: Opium

May as well keep track


Few more for you

Quote:
Boris Johnson, the front-runner for the job, admitted in an interview 11 years ago that he had snorted cocaine as a 19-year-old and had smoked “dope” before that.

Rory Stewart, the International Development Secretary, has admitted smoking raw opium during a trek across Iran; Jeremy Hunt, the Foreign Secretary, admitted to drinking a cannabis lassi in India, and Dominic Raab has admitted smoking marijuana when he was younger.


Party of 'law and order'? More like a party of hypocrites


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:29 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 3801
openclashXX wrote:
SamShark wrote:
Raab: Cannabis at uni
Gove: Cocaine
Stewart: Opium

May as well keep track


Few more for you

Quote:
Boris Johnson, the front-runner for the job, admitted in an interview 11 years ago that he had snorted cocaine as a 19-year-old and had smoked “dope” before that.

Rory Stewart, the International Development Secretary, has admitted smoking raw opium during a trek across Iran; Jeremy Hunt, the Foreign Secretary, admitted to drinking a cannabis lassi in India, and Dominic Raab has admitted smoking marijuana when he was younger.


Party of 'law and order'? More like a party of hypocrites

And not to mention May running through a field of wheat when she was young and foolish


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:34 am 
Online

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 64229
This appeal to the youth vote isn’t going well is it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:30 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 5797
are these admitions designed to shine a light on Boris's history; & to try to pressure him to give a full accounting of the skeletons in his cupboard ?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:37 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 20518
Fair play to Boris - being a lazy, disloyal, selfish and incompetent liar doesn't seem to have damaged his chances with the members.

I'm not sure what else he could be exposed for?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:40 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 5797
SamShark wrote:
Fair play to Boris - being a lazy, disloyal, selfish and incompetent liar doesn't seem to have damaged his chances with the members.

I'm not sure what else he could be exposed for?


Voting Lib Dem in the past ..... ?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:29 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 24461
Location: Big Willi Style
SamShark wrote:
Fair play to Boris - being a lazy, disloyal, selfish and incompetent liar doesn't seem to have damaged his chances with the members.

I'm not sure what else he could be exposed for?


Have you seen how big his lead is? If he's in the final two he'll walk it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:39 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:55 am
Posts: 8846
Location: Newport, Gwent
fishfoodie wrote:
SamShark wrote:
Fair play to Boris - being a lazy, disloyal, selfish and incompetent liar doesn't seem to have damaged his chances with the members.

I'm not sure what else he could be exposed for?


Voting Lib Dem in the past ..... ?

:lol:

Also :lol: https://twitter.com/IamHappyToast/statu ... 9458973698


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 12073
bessantj wrote:
fishfoodie wrote:
SamShark wrote:
Fair play to Boris - being a lazy, disloyal, selfish and incompetent liar doesn't seem to have damaged his chances with the members.

I'm not sure what else he could be exposed for?


Voting Lib Dem in the past ..... ?

:lol:

Also :lol: https://twitter.com/IamHappyToast/statu ... 9458973698

That is magnificent.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 581 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bimboman, Gavin Duffy, Google Adsense [Bot], happyhooker, Hong Kong, Mog The Almighty, MrBunhead and 46 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group