The Culture Wars Mega Thread

All things Rugby
mdaclarke
Posts: 3513
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:53 pm

Re: The Culture Wars Mega Thread

Post by mdaclarke »

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/jama ... 38825.html

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/h ... 65358.html

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... pists.html

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... urder.html

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/1 ... convicted/

I think these articles are the reasons why the left don't win many elections. They seem to lack emotional intelligence as to how the general public sees these issues.

To the progressives they think they are saving the poor oppressed minority but to average man/woman thinks they are just letting dangerous criminals remain in the country.
bimboman
Posts: 67833
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Culture Wars Mega Thread

Post by bimboman »

so Kings College are removing the statue of Thomas Guy. Apparently he owned some shares in a company that had sold slaves.


It’s not going to stop now is it.
User avatar
message #2527204
Posts: 12890
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Ultracrepidaria

Re: The Culture Wars Mega Thread

Post by message #2527204 »

bimboman wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:42 pm so Kings College are removing the statue of Thomas Guy. Apparently he owned some shares in a company that had sold slaves.


It’s not going to stop now is it.
Hospital gets a name change next?

Then trafalgar square?
In Nelson we find a man in heartfelt solidarity with British slaveholders against the perceived menace of Wilberforce
bimboman
Posts: 67833
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Culture Wars Mega Thread

Post by bimboman »


There’s no grievance ambulance he won’t chase. The brexit cases (which he lost millions in crowd funding into) are drying up, so this is the next set of activists and morons to fleece.


He’s a truly dreadful human.
C69
Posts: 40198
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:44 pm
Location: For Wales the Welsh and aproppriate pronouns

Re: The Culture Wars Mega Thread

Post by C69 »

No idea who he his, never heard of him
Why do you seem "triggered" by him?
bimboman
Posts: 67833
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Culture Wars Mega Thread

Post by bimboman »

C69 wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:54 pm
No idea who he his, never heard of him
Why do you seem "triggered" by him?


You’ve replied about him in brexit threads before, you need to get your dementia sorted.
User avatar
fatcat
Posts: 14694
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Culture Wars Mega Thread

Post by fatcat »

C69 appears not to have a clue what triggered means. :?
User avatar
eldanielfire
Posts: 30681
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Culture Wars Mega Thread

Post by eldanielfire »

bimboman wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:57 pm
C69 wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:54 pm
No idea who he his, never heard of him
Why do you seem "triggered" by him?


You’ve replied about him in brexit threads before, you need to get your dementia sorted.
I'm not sure he has. A quick search shows he ahs quoted a stream of posts which mentioned him but he didn't directly reply.

As for C69, he's a lawyer, beaome a C list famous person on rallying on anti-Brexit on Social Media, like Femi. he wa behind Gina Miller's moves to get Brexit stopped, or as they put it, approved by parliament. In a legal move that ironically allowed Boris to be empowered by Brexit in Parliament. He got even more famous for announcing he beat a fox to death last Boxing Day while dressed in his wife's satin kimono on twitter. Of course he walked away with no legal action. I would imagine he is everything you despise in metropolitan, liberal sorts.
Last edited by eldanielfire on Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bimboman
Posts: 67833
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Culture Wars Mega Thread

Post by bimboman »

More on our Jolyon defender of the common man.


https://twitter.com/PeteNewbon/status/1 ... 0703372294
User avatar
eldanielfire
Posts: 30681
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Culture Wars Mega Thread

Post by eldanielfire »

I was wondering why there was so much schadenfreude being passed around on Twitter. #StopTheLeftPurge is trending right now.

It seems a lot of people who celebrated twitter's cancel culture of various accounts with opinions that they disagree with getting banned, are now raging because Twitter. It appears turned on the hard left and banned a ton of accounts there. Corbynista's in particular going crazy. I don't yet know who was banned, but I'm forming a picture. I'm guessing anti semitic postings are being hit. Lot's of digs and ironic takes on this thread:

https://twitter.com/CountDankulaTV/stat ... 4770202625

Looks like protecting free speech is back on the left's menu now.
shereblue
Posts: 4443
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Culture Wars Mega Thread

Post by shereblue »

eldanielfire wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:06 pm
bimboman wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:57 pm
C69 wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:54 pm
No idea who he his, never heard of him
Why do you seem "triggered" by him?


You’ve replied about him in brexit threads before, you need to get your dementia sorted.
I'm not sure he has. A quick search shows he ahs quoted a stream of posts which mentioned him but he didn't directly reply.

As for C69, he's a lawyer, beaome a C list famous person on rallying on anti-Brexit on Social Media, like Femi. he wa behind Gina Miller's moves to get Brexit stopped, or as they put it, approved by parliament. In a legal move that ironically allowed Boris to be empowered by Brexit in Parliament. He got even more famous for announcing he beat a fox to death last Boxing Day while dressed in his wife's satin kimono on twitter. Of course he walked away with no legal action. I would imagine he is everything you despise in metropolitan, liberal sorts.
Another siding with the swivel-eyed as to when parliamentary sovereignty applies :uhoh:
mdaclarke
Posts: 3513
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:53 pm

Re: The Culture Wars Mega Thread

Post by mdaclarke »

eldanielfire wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:10 pm I was wondering why there was so much schadenfreude being passed around on Twitter. #StopTheLeftPurge is trending right now.

It seems a lot of people who celebrated twitter's cancel culture of various accounts with opinions that they disagree with getting banned, are now raging because Twitter. It appears turned on the hard left and banned a ton of accounts there. Corbynista's in particular going crazy. I don't yet know who was banned, but I'm forming a picture. I'm guessing anti semitic postings are being hit. Lot's of digs and ironic takes on this thread:

https://twitter.com/CountDankulaTV/stat ... 4770202625

Looks like protecting free speech is back on the left's menu now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5TVLEaqqdI
Santa
Posts: 11275
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:56 pm

Re: The Culture Wars Mega Thread

Post by Santa »

Really good history clip here.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1334552969686224900

For example we know that black people were medieval knights because King Arthur fought the Black Knight.
User avatar
fatcat
Posts: 14694
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Culture Wars Mega Thread

Post by fatcat »

So what exactly are white people superior at?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYZ2XoaBO2A
Santa
Posts: 11275
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:56 pm

Re: The Culture Wars Mega Thread

Post by Santa »

fatcat wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:05 pm So what exactly are white people superior at?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYZ2XoaBO2A
Interesting. So according to that clip lots of black people think that white people are superior at a lot of things. :shock:
Santa
Posts: 11275
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:56 pm

Re: The Culture Wars Mega Thread

Post by Santa »

Tee hee hee
Paris mayor Anne Hidalgo stated that receiving a fine for employing too many women in senior positions within the city is "absurd."

Hidalgo's comments came after a fine of 90,000 euros ($110,000) was requested from her by France's public service ministry citing that Paris's city hall broke rules by staffing more women in 2018 than men.

"I am happy to announce that we have been fined," Hidalgo said during a city council meeting, noting that the fine was absurd, according to Yahoo News.

Hidalgo's fine came as a result of her staffing 11 women and only five men in management positions in 2018, Yahoo News reported.

"The management of the city hall has, all of a sudden, become far too feminist," Hidalgo said with a laugh. She added that the fine brought her joy.

The rule, which was created in 2013, stated that no more than 60 percent of new appointments to management positions in public service should go to one sex, according to BBC.
https://thehill.com/homenews/news/53043 ... men-absurd
User avatar
fatcat
Posts: 14694
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Culture Wars Mega Thread

Post by fatcat »

"This fine is obviously absurd, unfair, irresponsible and dangerous," Hidalgo said.
So is the rule.
User avatar
fatcat
Posts: 14694
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Culture Wars Mega Thread

Post by fatcat »

The publisher of a book about cancel culture by Julie Burchill has cancelled it after the writer was accused of Islamophobia on Twitter.

The book, Welcome to the Woke Trials, had been due to be published by Little, Brown in April.

But Burchill got embroiled with a row with fellow writer Ash Sarkar.

Little, Brown said her comments were "not defensible from a moral or intellectual standpoint" and "crossed a line with regard to race and religion".

A statement from the company said: "We will no longer be publishing Julie Burchill's book. This is not a decision we have taken lightly.
'Challenging perspectives'

"We believe passionately in freedom of speech at Little, Brown and we have always published authors with controversial or challenging perspectives - and we will continue to do so.

"While there is no legal definition of hate speech in the UK, we believe that Julie's comments on Islam are not defensible from a moral or intellectual standpoint, that they crossed a line with regard to race and religion, and that her book has now become inextricably linked with those views."

Writing on Facebook, Burchill said the publishers had told her there was "also a concern that the line might be crossed again during the promotion of the book", to which she added: "I'LL SAY!"

Sarkar accused Burchill of Islamophobia after the Sunday Telegraph columnist made comments about the age of one of the Prophet Muhammad's wives. :lol:

According to Little, Brown's official description, Welcome to the Woke Trials was inspired by the "vitriolic reaction" Burchill received in response to an article she wrote for The Observer in 2013, after which she was "pursued by the outrage mob".

The publisher billed it as "part-memoir and part-indictment of what happened to Burchill between then and now, as the regiments of the woke took over".
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-55331063
User avatar
fatcat
Posts: 14694
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Culture Wars Mega Thread

Post by fatcat »

Three of the five acts nominated for the 2021 best children's album Grammy Award are saying "no thanks." They're upset that the contenders in their category are all white.
:lol:

https://www.npr.org/2021/01/04/95142001 ... ominations
User avatar
Salient
Posts: 3594
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Queensland!

Re: The Culture Wars Mega Thread

Post by Salient »

eldanielfire wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:10 pm I was wondering why there was so much schadenfreude being passed around on Twitter. #StopTheLeftPurge is trending right now.

It seems a lot of people who celebrated twitter's cancel culture of various accounts with opinions that they disagree with getting banned, are now raging because Twitter. It appears turned on the hard left and banned a ton of accounts there. Corbynista's in particular going crazy. I don't yet know who was banned, but I'm forming a picture. I'm guessing anti semitic postings are being hit. Lot's of digs and ironic takes on this thread:

https://twitter.com/CountDankulaTV/stat ... 4770202625

Looks like protecting free speech is back on the left's menu now.
You do understand the Left is diverse right? Or are you into simplistic political views in an Alt-right fashion.
User avatar
Sefton
Posts: 15790
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Culture Wars Mega Thread

Post by Sefton »

Well we’re now watching the culture of the right in Washington DC, white, tattoos, beards and guns.

It’s Fatcat looking in the mirror.
User avatar
fatcat
Posts: 14694
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Culture Wars Mega Thread

Post by fatcat »

Sefton wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:47 pm Well we’re now watching the culture of the right in Washington DC, white, tattoos, beards and guns.

It’s Fatcat looking in the mirror.
Same as the left wing culture we saw all year, although it's more diverse.
User avatar
Sefton
Posts: 15790
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Culture Wars Mega Thread

Post by Sefton »

fatcat wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:55 pm
Sefton wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:47 pm Well we’re now watching the culture of the right in Washington DC, white, tattoos, beards and guns.

It’s Fatcat looking in the mirror.
Same as the left wing culture we saw all year, although it's more diverse.
No it’s not, they weren’t attacking the centre of US democracy, they weren’t attempting to subvert the democratic process, a moronic analogy from you, Fatty.
User avatar
fatcat
Posts: 14694
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Culture Wars Mega Thread

Post by fatcat »

I'm not surprised you focussed on that aspect and ignored the 30 odd murders, hundreds of millions of dollars worth of damage and thousands of people's lives f*cked from burned down and vandalised businesses.

Hey, at least there's one positive I'm sure we can agree on - the left have finally come round to denouncing mob violence. Good for you guys. :thumbup:
User avatar
Sefton
Posts: 15790
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Culture Wars Mega Thread

Post by Sefton »

Well it is a rather important distinction, well it is for anybody who respects the democratic process.
User avatar
fatcat
Posts: 14694
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Culture Wars Mega Thread

Post by fatcat »

Characterising your political opponents as such doesn't exactly scream an appreciation of a democratic sensibility, although I appreciate there's a small chance your comment about righties was a little light hearted.
User avatar
Sefton
Posts: 15790
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Culture Wars Mega Thread

Post by Sefton »

fatcat wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:53 pm Characterising your political opponents as such doesn't exactly scream an appreciation of a democratic sensibility, although I appreciate there's a small chance your comment about righties was a little light hearted.
I’ll accept you might not have a beard.
User avatar
fatcat
Posts: 14694
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Culture Wars Mega Thread

Post by fatcat »

That's all I can ask.
C69
Posts: 40198
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:44 pm
Location: For Wales the Welsh and aproppriate pronouns

Re: The Culture Wars Mega Thread

Post by C69 »

Sefton wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:58 pm
fatcat wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:53 pm Characterising your political opponents as such doesn't exactly scream an appreciation of a democratic sensibility, although I appreciate there's a small chance your comment about righties was a little light hearted.
I’ll accept you might not have a beard.
:shock: surely he has a neck beard and Tats at least.
User avatar
fatcat
Posts: 14694
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Culture Wars Mega Thread

Post by fatcat »

The neck beard was dispensed with following my recent weight loss and the rediscovery of something vaguely resembling a jawline.
C69
Posts: 40198
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:44 pm
Location: For Wales the Welsh and aproppriate pronouns

Re: The Culture Wars Mega Thread

Post by C69 »

fatcat wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:05 am The neck beard was dispensed with following my recent weight loss and the rediscovery of something vaguely resembling a jawline.
I have found a jaw line and cheek bones in the last few years.
It's a bit strange as it makes me look about 10 years younger.
User avatar
eldanielfire
Posts: 30681
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Culture Wars Mega Thread

Post by eldanielfire »

Salient wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:45 pm
eldanielfire wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:10 pm I was wondering why there was so much schadenfreude being passed around on Twitter. #StopTheLeftPurge is trending right now.

It seems a lot of people who celebrated twitter's cancel culture of various accounts with opinions that they disagree with getting banned, are now raging because Twitter. It appears turned on the hard left and banned a ton of accounts there. Corbynista's in particular going crazy. I don't yet know who was banned, but I'm forming a picture. I'm guessing anti semitic postings are being hit. Lot's of digs and ironic takes on this thread:

https://twitter.com/CountDankulaTV/stat ... 4770202625

Looks like protecting free speech is back on the left's menu now.
You do understand the Left is diverse right? Or are you into simplistic political views in an Alt-right fashion.
Yes, hence why I referred to a sub-grouo of the left, referencing specifically the hard left and Corbynista's. I have made many separations of sub groups when referencing left or right subgroups before. So clearly I am not swiping the entire left with one brush, especially when much of my politics is left leaning as years of arguing with Bimboman alone will show.

There is no point in you going on about how diverse the left is when you are specifically quoting posts that do make the distinction and ignoring any references that illustrate that diversity. My post doesn't even make any general reference to the left as a whole at any point either. So perhaps take your clumsy attempt at point scoring elsewhere in future.
User avatar
Salient
Posts: 3594
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Queensland!

Re: The Culture Wars Mega Thread

Post by Salient »

fatcat wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:55 pm
Sefton wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:47 pm Well we’re now watching the culture of the right in Washington DC, white, tattoos, beards and guns.

It’s Fatcat looking in the mirror.
Same as the left wing culture we saw all year, although it's more diverse.
Ohhh nice Alt-Right defence, reverse the Left's viewpoint, how very Trump of you. Sorry white twats in multitude isn't "diversity", perhaps you need to read your dictionary in greater detail.
User avatar
fatcat
Posts: 14694
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Culture Wars Mega Thread

Post by fatcat »

Salient wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:36 am
fatcat wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:55 pm
Sefton wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:47 pm Well we’re now watching the culture of the right in Washington DC, white, tattoos, beards and guns.

It’s Fatcat looking in the mirror.
Same as the left wing culture we saw all year, although it's more diverse.
Ohhh nice Alt-Right defence, reverse the Left's viewpoint, how very Trump of you. Sorry white twats in multitude isn't "diversity", perhaps you need to read your dictionary in greater detail.
I meant the left is more diverse you utter thickie. However, I would be delighted to post more about the left wing violence and instances of lefists openly encouraging it last year, if this is what you'd like to get into. We could start off with the vice president-elect encouraging people to subsidise the looters and rioters. :)
User avatar
Salient
Posts: 3594
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Queensland!

Re: The Culture Wars Mega Thread

Post by Salient »

fatcat wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:40 am
Salient wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:36 am
fatcat wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:55 pm
Sefton wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:47 pm Well we’re now watching the culture of the right in Washington DC, white, tattoos, beards and guns.

It’s Fatcat looking in the mirror.
Same as the left wing culture we saw all year, although it's more diverse.
Ohhh nice Alt-Right defence, reverse the Left's viewpoint, how very Trump of you. Sorry white twats in multitude isn't "diversity", perhaps you need to read your dictionary in greater detail.
I meant the left is more diverse you utter thickie. However, I would be delighted to post more about the left wing violence and instances of lefists openly encouraging it last year, if this is what you'd like to get into. We could start off with the vice president-elect encouraging people to subsidise the looters and rioters. :)
Go right ahead, always up for distortion of the facts by the "right".

So now you are admitting the "left" is diverse, be careful you don't fall over your feet while back peddling dude.
User avatar
Salient
Posts: 3594
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Queensland!

Re: The Culture Wars Mega Thread

Post by Salient »

Just watching Amazon's <em>The Stand</em>

1. Harold Lauder is now a skinny dude.

2. Apparently Larry Underwood is now a black dude, I assume the WOKE element will be screaming over this development, black actors taking white roles.

3. Excellent casting choice, Whoopi Goldberg as Mother Abagail
User avatar
paddyor
Posts: 19257
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:51 pm

Re: The Culture Wars Mega Thread

Post by paddyor »

eldanielfire wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:30 am
Salient wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:45 pm
eldanielfire wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:10 pm I was wondering why there was so much schadenfreude being passed around on Twitter. #StopTheLeftPurge is trending right now.

It seems a lot of people who celebrated twitter's cancel culture of various accounts with opinions that they disagree with getting banned, are now raging because Twitter. It appears turned on the hard left and banned a ton of accounts there. Corbynista's in particular going crazy. I don't yet know who was banned, but I'm forming a picture. I'm guessing anti semitic postings are being hit. Lot's of digs and ironic takes on this thread:

https://twitter.com/CountDankulaTV/stat ... 4770202625

Looks like protecting free speech is back on the left's menu now.
You do understand the Left is diverse right? Or are you into simplistic political views in an Alt-right fashion.
Yes, hence why I referred to a sub-grouo of the left, referencing specifically the hard left and Corbynista's. I have made many separations of sub groups when referencing left or right subgroups before. So clearly I am not swiping the entire left with one brush, especially when much of my politics is left leaning as years of arguing with Bimboman alone will show.

There is no point in you going on about how diverse the left is when you are specifically quoting posts that do make the distinction and ignoring any references that illustrate that diversity. My post doesn't even make any general reference to the left as a whole at any point either. So perhaps take your clumsy attempt at point scoring elsewhere in future.
Your not really left leaning at all. You're Tim Pool fan.
User avatar
Sensible Stephen
Posts: 3015
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:45 am

Re: The Culture Wars Mega Thread

Post by Sensible Stephen »

paddyor wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:49 am
Your not really left leaning at all. You're Tim Pool fan.
Has he followed moron Ruben down the mindlessly right wing because 'leftists' are dumb hole?

Never really followed much of Pool as he just comes across as a whingeing moron.
User avatar
4071
Posts: 5320
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Culture Wars Mega Thread

Post by 4071 »

Sensible Stephen wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:00 am
paddyor wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:49 am
Your not really left leaning at all. You're Tim Pool fan.
Has he followed moron Rubin down the mindlessly right wing because 'leftists' are dumb hole?

Never really followed much of Pool as he just comes across as a whingeing moron.
EDF as the bored's version of Dave Rubin is a comparison that has been made before.
Post Reply