First time fatty; need help losing weight

All things Rugby
User avatar
Calculus
Posts: 3830
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: First time fatty; need help losing weight

Post by Calculus »

Nolanator wrote:
AlanBengio wrote:Low carb diets are dangerous.
Your organism needs carb
I eat plenty of pasta and bread - and I am 71 kilos; most of it muscles
Obviously I exercise (boxe is my sport - although I am very bad at it) and I eat not only pasta and bread
Carbs are the only macro nutrient that you can remove from your diet without serious problems. You can just get the energy elsewhere.
You can't live without fats or protein, simple as.


If you're only 71kg, I'd imagine that most is actually bones and internal organs, with very little skeletal muscle.
That's a bit unfair, a healthy lean man should have around 33 to 39 percent skeletal muscle whatever his total weight. Unless he is quite tall with a large frame 71kg is not that light.
Anyways I had a look and the super healthy Okinawa diet is 85 carbs, 9 protein and 4 fat. Problem is most people, especially in the West, lack discipline and eat to much.
User avatar
Clive
Posts: 3310
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: First time fatty; need help losing weight

Post by Clive »

happyhooker wrote:
Clive wrote:So where is the OP no thanks for the good advise, I'll tell you where he is gorging on cakes hiding in a wardrobe.
Strange post, even by your lofty standards.

And it's fûcking adviCe
Bad spelling be me there.
User avatar
Clive
Posts: 3310
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: First time fatty; need help losing weight

Post by Clive »

thor wrote:
Clive wrote:So where is the OP no thanks for the good advise, I'll tell you where he is gorging on cakes hiding in a wardrobe.
What are you trying to achieve?
Strange question.
1 In answer to you, its so you reply my post because your dull enough to.
2. fat people don't listen to ADVICE, most need to sort themselves its NOT rocket science.
3. Fat people are greedy when did you last see photographs of people starving due to a problem with their genes.
Bowens
Posts: 11040
Joined: Wed May 30, 2012 5:46 am

Re: First time fatty; need help losing weight

Post by Bowens »

Mog The Almighty wrote:
Uthikoloshe wrote:
Bowens wrote:Good at wrestling. Bad at fighting.
19 -1 MMA record :roll:
Bizarre claim. Askren is an excellent fighter and had every chance of beating Masvidal minus that flying knee.
Yeah ok Ika :lol:

But any further discussion on this can be taken the the UFC thread.
User avatar
Mog The Almighty
Posts: 12894
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:33 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: First time fatty; need help losing weight

Post by Mog The Almighty »

Bowens wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:
Uthikoloshe wrote:
Bowens wrote:Good at wrestling. Bad at fighting.
19 -1 MMA record :roll:
Bizarre claim. Askren is an excellent fighter and had every chance of beating Masvidal minus that flying knee.
Yeah ok Ika :lol:

But any further discussion on this can be taken the the UFC thread.
Are you the guy that was talking all the other bullshit about MMA/boxing and getting virtually everything wrong 6-7 months ago? Excuse me if not.

Askren is world class and was an undefeated champion. He's highly respected and regarded by leading commentators in the industry that know a shit load more than both us (especially you).
It was a spectacularly quick KO but that's the game, he got caught with a good shot. That it happened after 3 seconds or 1500 seconds doesn't mean much. You can get caught at any time. Shit happens sometimes and it's not a fair representation of Askrens ability. Taking nothing away from Masvidal who is elite level but saying Askren can't fight based on that is simply wrong.
Bowens
Posts: 11040
Joined: Wed May 30, 2012 5:46 am

Re: First time fatty; need help losing weight

Post by Bowens »

No and what part of go to the UFC thread didn’t you understand?
User avatar
Mog The Almighty
Posts: 12894
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:33 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: First time fatty; need help losing weight

Post by Mog The Almighty »

I understood it, I just ignored it.

"Everybody knows I'm a Ben Askren dick-rider. I love Ben Askren. I still think he can be World Champion. I still think he's one of the greatest welterweights on the planet. You've got to remember, Ben came over the 1FC and Bellator undefeated." - Brenden Shaub - former UFC heavyweight contender, ju-jitsu expert, boxer, wrestler, host of "The Fighter and the Kid" and "Below the Belt" MMA podcasts.

"yeah okay ika :lol:" - some Internet forum blow hard.
Last edited by Mog The Almighty on Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bowens
Posts: 11040
Joined: Wed May 30, 2012 5:46 am

Re: First time fatty; need help losing weight

Post by Bowens »

Such a drama queen :roll:
User avatar
Mog The Almighty
Posts: 12894
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:33 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: First time fatty; need help losing weight

Post by Mog The Almighty »

Yeah well, maybe you should just admit you're wrong.

And fyi, you don't get to fill up a thread with ignorant nonsense about MMA fighters and then demmand people respond to it in some other thread.
User avatar
eldanielfire
Posts: 32405
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: First time fatty; need help losing weight

Post by eldanielfire »

AlanBengio wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:13 pm Low carb diets are dangerous.
Your organism needs carb
I eat plenty of pasta and bread - and I am 71 kilos; most of it muscles
Obviously I exercise (boxe is my sport - although I am very bad at it) and I eat not only pasta and bread
I disagree with this. Yes we all need carbs, but virtually all biological molecules we consume can be converted to carbs.

I realized after stuffing myself again over Christmas that I'm some easy 3+ stone overweight. A mixture of lockdown, not exercising before then, a sweet tooth, a love of burgers (which come with chips), a relatively inactive job (and even less active over lockdown) and a love of video games had led me to abandon all my healthy habits over the past few years.

So I've done what I did years ago and hit the Dukan Diet. Basically lean meat and veggies. So I ordered by Oat Bran and 3 & and bit weeks later I've lost a stone. As Jeff said, the weight is melting off. Also once a week after I drop carbs I lose the desire for them and stop feeling the need to snack, I feel less bloated (which I took as just full before) after meals and I don't feel tired during the day. I should lose the rest by the summer.

Some claim it's unhealthy but can't explain to a satisfactory detail to me. Just vague allusions you need carbs. But I've not heard of a malnutrition situation when someone eats well but just lacks carbs and the case for too much protein is, I've not really eating much more protein really. The diet insists on lots of water anyway.

I agree with Dukan's reasoning, if you are overweight you are eating unhealthily already. Switching to mostly lean meats, vegetables and salad and cutting out sugar and processed foods can only be healthier. Also the speed at which weight falls you is a motivating factor to keep going. Likewise the "balanced diet" advice of the last 50 years has correlated with the most obese society in history.


Now I know this diet isn't for everybody, but it works well for me. In fact I highly suspect I just shouldn't be eating wheat/Gluten regularly and I've come to believe at some point in future we will see that different genetic profiles should eat different things.
Gwenno
Posts: 8424
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: First time fatty; need help losing weight

Post by Gwenno »

Gluconeogensis is taught in medical school and biochemistry lectures. We make glucose from glucogenic amino acids and the glycerol skeleton of triglycerides. People on keto diets don't get hypoglycaemic because of gluconeogenesis, so without doubt carbohydrates are not essential, however desirable they may be, but then the same applies to alcohol. As I have said to the point of boredom, many people still manage to lose weight and reverse type 2 diabetes on 130g or less carbohydrate a day, which is not at all tough, it just clashes with the groundless guidelines pushed in USA,UK/Australasia, and probably most of the western world which advise about 300g of carbs a day (the equivalent of nearly 11 oz of starch or glucose. Per person. No wonder obesity is on the rise.
bimboman
Posts: 70046
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: First time fatty; need help losing weight

Post by bimboman »

Gwenno wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:22 pm Gluconeogensis is taught in medical school and biochemistry lectures. We make glucose from glucogenic amino acids and the glycerol skeleton of triglycerides. People on keto diets don't get hypoglycaemic because of gluconeogenesis, so without doubt carbohydrates are not essential, however desirable they may be, but then the same applies to alcohol. As I have said to the point of boredom, many people still manage to lose weight and reverse type 2 diabetes on 130g or less carbohydrate a day, which is not at all tough, it just clashes with the groundless guidelines pushed in USA,UK/Australasia, and probably most of the western world which advise about 300g of carbs a day (the equivalent of nearly 11 oz of starch or glucose. Per person. No wonder obesity is on the rise.

This is an important post.

The old style Type 2 diet with metformin as recommended by many practice nurses would contain far too many carbs and also offer too little advice on their quality.

The GI and GL related diets can be very important and also easy to follow.

Even 10 years plus of non diabetes for me means my “normal” diet is around or less than 100g of Carb every day.
Gwenno
Posts: 8424
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: First time fatty; need help losing weight

Post by Gwenno »

bimboman wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:29 pm
Gwenno wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:22 pm Gluconeogensis is taught in medical school and biochemistry lectures. We make glucose from glucogenic amino acids and the glycerol skeleton of triglycerides. People on keto diets don't get hypoglycaemic because of gluconeogenesis, so without doubt carbohydrates are not essential, however desirable they may be, but then the same applies to alcohol. As I have said to the point of boredom, many people still manage to lose weight and reverse type 2 diabetes on 130g or less carbohydrate a day, which is not at all tough, it just clashes with the groundless guidelines pushed in USA,UK/Australasia, and probably most of the western world which advise about 300g of carbs a day (the equivalent of nearly 11 oz of starch or glucose. Per person. No wonder obesity is on the rise.

This is an important post.

The old style Type 2 diet with metformin as recommended by many practice nurses would contain far too many carbs and also offer too little advice on their quality.

The GI and GL related diets can be very important and also easy to follow.

Even 10 years plus of non diabetes for me means my “normal” diet is around or less than 100g of Carb every day.
Hi Bimbo, i am in to my 10th month of a nominal 130g/day diet, but in fact most days are 60 - 80g, ridiculously easy to follow. My wife gets annoyed because she wants to spread the guilt of her sweet tooth, but I am now a big fan of 85% dark chocolate.
User avatar
eldanielfire
Posts: 32405
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: First time fatty; need help losing weight

Post by eldanielfire »

Gwenno wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:22 pm Gluconeogensis is taught in medical school and biochemistry lectures. We make glucose from glucogenic amino acids and the glycerol skeleton of triglycerides. People on keto diets don't get hypoglycaemic because of gluconeogenesis, so without doubt carbohydrates are not essential, however desirable they may be, but then the same applies to alcohol. As I have said to the point of boredom, many people still manage to lose weight and reverse type 2 diabetes on 130g or less carbohydrate a day, which is not at all tough, it just clashes with the groundless guidelines pushed in USA,UK/Australasia, and probably most of the western world which advise about 300g of carbs a day (the equivalent of nearly 11 oz of starch or glucose. Per person. No wonder obesity is on the rise.
Excellently put. While the established nutrition science is sniffy about it, many people who switch to ketogenic diets say their diabetes has been reversed/reduced/gone. This included former Labour big wig Tom Watson:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... -interview
User avatar
Mog The Almighty
Posts: 12894
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:33 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: First time fatty; need help losing weight

Post by Mog The Almighty »

Calculus wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:32 am
Nolanator wrote:
AlanBengio wrote:Low carb diets are dangerous.
Your organism needs carb
I eat plenty of pasta and bread - and I am 71 kilos; most of it muscles
Obviously I exercise (boxe is my sport - although I am very bad at it) and I eat not only pasta and bread
Carbs are the only macro nutrient that you can remove from your diet without serious problems. You can just get the energy elsewhere.
You can't live without fats or protein, simple as.


If you're only 71kg, I'd imagine that most is actually bones and internal organs, with very little skeletal muscle.
That's a bit unfair, a healthy lean man should have around 33 to 39 percent skeletal muscle whatever his total weight. Unless he is quite tall with a large frame 71kg is not that light.
Anyways I had a look and the super healthy Okinawa diet is 85 carbs, 9 protein and 4 fat. Problem is most people, especially in the West, lack discipline and eat to much.
It's very unfair. 71kg is a healthy weight for an average-heighted man. And although you would definitely be lean, it's possible to carry a good amount of muscle at that weight. I have friends in jujitsu and climbing who are taller than average and around 70kg and look great.

Almost everyone in my experience hugely under-estimates their bodyfat %, and that maybe especially true of rugby players who want to be heavy, as opposed to climbers or fighters who want to be light.

Edit: just noticed this is a very old bumped thread, and judging by all the waffle on this post above, I'm guessing we had this discussion or something close to it already...
Last edited by Mog The Almighty on Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
eldanielfire
Posts: 32405
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: First time fatty; need help losing weight

Post by eldanielfire »

bimboman wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:29 pm

This is an important post.

The old style Type 2 diet with metformin as recommended by many practice nurses would contain far too many carbs and also offer too little advice on their quality.

The GI and GL related diets can be very important and also easy to follow.

Even 10 years plus of non diabetes for me means my “normal” diet is around or less than 100g of Carb every day.
Good to hear.
bimboman
Posts: 70046
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: First time fatty; need help losing weight

Post by bimboman »

Gwenno wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:36 pm
bimboman wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:29 pm
Gwenno wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:22 pm Gluconeogensis is taught in medical school and biochemistry lectures. We make glucose from glucogenic amino acids and the glycerol skeleton of triglycerides. People on keto diets don't get hypoglycaemic because of gluconeogenesis, so without doubt carbohydrates are not essential, however desirable they may be, but then the same applies to alcohol. As I have said to the point of boredom, many people still manage to lose weight and reverse type 2 diabetes on 130g or less carbohydrate a day, which is not at all tough, it just clashes with the groundless guidelines pushed in USA,UK/Australasia, and probably most of the western world which advise about 300g of carbs a day (the equivalent of nearly 11 oz of starch or glucose. Per person. No wonder obesity is on the rise.

This is an important post.

The old style Type 2 diet with metformin as recommended by many practice nurses would contain far too many carbs and also offer too little advice on their quality.

The GI and GL related diets can be very important and also easy to follow.

Even 10 years plus of non diabetes for me means my “normal” diet is around or less than 100g of Carb every day.
Hi Bimbo, i am in to my 10th month of a nominal 130g/day diet, but in fact most days are 60 - 80g, ridiculously easy to follow. My wife gets annoyed because she wants to spread the guilt of her sweet tooth, but I am now a big fan of 85% dark chocolate.


:thumbup: , it’s quite easy isn’t it.

Though

I try to balance my carb Vs exercise so lockdowns been much harder for me. Top tips though are still.

High quality Whole meal or rye bread.

Smaller amounts of the best potatoes in season, add righteous amounts of Butter / cream or if roasts goose fat.

Whole brown rice.

Save my white bread fetish for very high quality baguettes. (Tear the middle out and ditch ) or 1/2 slice of fried white bread with a fry (actually mostly grilled ) breakfast.

Peanuts not crisps.

Whole fresh fruit. Not juice (ever).

Sparingly eat wonderful pastry, if in a savoury don’t add extra carb, so a good pie eaten with green veg , but no mash.

God I love sausage rolls. (Don’t).
bimboman
Posts: 70046
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: First time fatty; need help losing weight

Post by bimboman »

eldanielfire wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:40 pm
Gwenno wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:22 pm Gluconeogensis is taught in medical school and biochemistry lectures. We make glucose from glucogenic amino acids and the glycerol skeleton of triglycerides. People on keto diets don't get hypoglycaemic because of gluconeogenesis, so without doubt carbohydrates are not essential, however desirable they may be, but then the same applies to alcohol. As I have said to the point of boredom, many people still manage to lose weight and reverse type 2 diabetes on 130g or less carbohydrate a day, which is not at all tough, it just clashes with the groundless guidelines pushed in USA,UK/Australasia, and probably most of the western world which advise about 300g of carbs a day (the equivalent of nearly 11 oz of starch or glucose. Per person. No wonder obesity is on the rise.
Excellently put. While the established nutrition science is sniffy about it, many people who switch to ketogenic diets say their diabetes has been reversed/reduced/gone. This included former Labour big wig Tom Watson:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... -interview


The “established “ science is fortunately changing. The university of Newcastle study is now much more mainstream.
User avatar
eldanielfire
Posts: 32405
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: First time fatty; need help losing weight

Post by eldanielfire »

bimboman wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:37 pm
Gwenno wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:36 pm
bimboman wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:29 pm
Gwenno wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:22 pm Gluconeogensis is taught in medical school and biochemistry lectures. We make glucose from glucogenic amino acids and the glycerol skeleton of triglycerides. People on keto diets don't get hypoglycaemic because of gluconeogenesis, so without doubt carbohydrates are not essential, however desirable they may be, but then the same applies to alcohol. As I have said to the point of boredom, many people still manage to lose weight and reverse type 2 diabetes on 130g or less carbohydrate a day, which is not at all tough, it just clashes with the groundless guidelines pushed in USA,UK/Australasia, and probably most of the western world which advise about 300g of carbs a day (the equivalent of nearly 11 oz of starch or glucose. Per person. No wonder obesity is on the rise.

This is an important post.

The old style Type 2 diet with metformin as recommended by many practice nurses would contain far too many carbs and also offer too little advice on their quality.

The GI and GL related diets can be very important and also easy to follow.

Even 10 years plus of non diabetes for me means my “normal” diet is around or less than 100g of Carb every day.
Hi Bimbo, i am in to my 10th month of a nominal 130g/day diet, but in fact most days are 60 - 80g, ridiculously easy to follow. My wife gets annoyed because she wants to spread the guilt of her sweet tooth, but I am now a big fan of 85% dark chocolate.


:thumbup: , it’s quite easy isn’t it.

Though

I try to balance my carb Vs exercise so lockdowns been much harder for me. Top tips though are still.

High quality Whole meal or rye bread.

Smaller amounts of the best potatoes in season, add righteous amounts of Butter / cream or if roasts goose fat.

Whole brown rice.

Save my white bread fetish for very high quality baguettes. (Tear the middle out and ditch ) or 1/2 slice of fried white bread with a fry (actually mostly grilled ) breakfast.

Peanuts not crisps.

Whole fresh fruit. Not juice (ever).

Sparingly eat wonderful pastry, if in a savoury don’t add extra carb, so a good pie eaten with green veg , but no mash.

God I love sausage rolls. (Don’t).
My weaknesses are a f**king good sausage roll (Clapham junction does a few places with awesome homemade style sausage rolls, and fudge it Greggs one are good too), Chocolate, a good burger and sausages with a cool glass of Apple juice.

I didn't realise savory pastry had little carbs. I assumed it all was high carb. Might investigate after this diet is done.
bimboman
Posts: 70046
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: First time fatty; need help losing weight

Post by bimboman »

The problem with pastry is it’s the magic (bad but tasty) 1/2 fat 1/2 carb, also see 1/2 fat 1/2 sugar. It genuinely wires the brain differently which is why people find them so delicious.
Gwenno
Posts: 8424
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: First time fatty; need help losing weight

Post by Gwenno »

Other tips, if you are going to eat carbs, don't eat sugar, but if you are going to eat sugar, eat it in whole fruit, not juice. There is no doubt in my case that sugar is addictive, but just like with other addictive substances, the withdrawal can be overcome and the craving fades. The 130 g still has space for a small amount of beer that I like eg IPA, or the sugar in a can of tonic, or even a small pudding now and then. I would struggle to avoid boredom on very low carbs (20 - 50), but this is fine.
User avatar
eldanielfire
Posts: 32405
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: First time fatty; need help losing weight

Post by eldanielfire »

bimboman wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:46 pm The problem with pastry is it’s the magic (bad but tasty) 1/2 fat 1/2 carb, also see 1/2 fat 1/2 sugar. It genuinely wires the brain differently which is why people find them so delicious.
Pretty much like Cheese Burgers (when you include sauce and buns). That perfect hit.
bimboman
Posts: 70046
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: First time fatty; need help losing weight

Post by bimboman »

Gwenno wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:47 pm Other tips, if you are going to eat carbs, don't eat sugar, but if you are going to eat sugar, eat it in whole fruit, not juice. There is no doubt in my case that sugar is addictive, but just like with other addictive substances, the withdrawal can be overcome and the craving fades. The 130 g still has space for a small amount of beer that I like eg IPA, or the sugar in a can of tonic, or even a small pudding now and then. I would struggle to avoid boredom on very low carbs (20 - 50), but this is fine.


Yeah, spot on. I’m lucky I don’t drink too heavily and now save consumption for decent red most of the time. Do that right and it can lower your blood sugars. (Obviously ignoring the calories).

Eldan , you ain’t wrong.... luckily my nearest 5 guys isn’t open.
User avatar
Fat Albert
Posts: 1232
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Trantor

Re: First time fatty; need help losing weight

Post by Fat Albert »

Bimbo

My GP for 30 years who was also my uncle summed up dietary advice in 2 words






Eat Less






Ps He died from heart failure at 73 having been clinically obese all his life :|
User avatar
DragsterDriver
Posts: 26180
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Big Willi Style

Re: First time fatty; need help losing weight

Post by DragsterDriver »

I’m 102kg at the moment- not being able to run/cycle/gym is painful.
bimboman
Posts: 70046
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: First time fatty; need help losing weight

Post by bimboman »

Fat Albert wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:21 pm Bimbo

My GP for 30 years who was also my uncle summed up dietary advice in 2 words






Eat Less






Ps He died from heart failure at 73 having been clinically obese all his life :|


He was part of the system that created an obesity and diabetes crisis. So I’ve no doubt that was great advice.
Gwenno
Posts: 8424
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: First time fatty; need help losing weight

Post by Gwenno »

bimboman wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:25 pm [quote="Fat Albert " post_id=6816413 time=<a href="tel:1612891292">1612891292</a> user_id=1280]
Bimbo

My GP for 30 years who was also my uncle summed up dietary advice in 2 words






Eat Less






Ps He died from heart failure at 73 having been clinically obese all his life :|


He was part of the system that created an obesity and diabetes crisis. So I’ve no doubt that was great advice.
[/quote]
The irony is that those that restrict carbs DO eat less because they have less insulin driven hunger. Willpower alone ultimately fails.
User avatar
DOB
Posts: 20038
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: First time fatty; need help losing weight

Post by DOB »

Newsome wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:21 am
Kahu wrote:Toast for brekky

Yogurt and fruit for morning tea

Protein and veges for lunch

Fruit or salad afternoon tea

Protein and veges for lunch

Sunday eat whatever you like
My biggest issue, and my wife gives me shit for it, is I eat dinner very late. She says that's the main reason. Not sure if true or not.
Since we've had kids we routinely are finished dinner by or around 7pm, in time to give them baths and read stories before bedtime. I don't consider that eating late, and it's a lot earlier than we used to eat before kids.

I'm a lot bigger now than I ever was before having kids.

Eating late is unlikely to be "the main reason," certainly not as important as what you eat, or how active you are.

Like others above, I just noticed I'm replying to a 2 year old post.
User avatar
Mog The Almighty
Posts: 12894
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:33 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: First time fatty; need help losing weight

Post by Mog The Almighty »

Fat Albert wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:21 pm Bimbo

My GP for 30 years who was also my uncle summed up dietary advice in 2 words






Eat Less






Ps He died from heart failure at 73 having been clinically obese all his life :|
It's perfect advice.

The only way anybody is or has ever lost weight is by eating less calories than they burn or chopping off limbs. That's true whether your GP succeeded on a personal level or not.

Eating less carbs and sugars may well make that easier for some people, but it's not the lack of carbs that cause the weight loss, it's the lack of calories. I've lost 10kg over lockdown by following one rule: never eat before 12 midday, and after 12 midday, only eat once I genuinely feel hunger. After that's occurred I allow myself to eat whatever I want for the rest of the day, even chips and ice creams (both are rare occurrences, I generally keep it pretty healthy and high protein).

That much all said, I am personally convinced that eating a low-carb diet, particularly a low-sugar and low-processed-carb diet, is healthy for a whole host of other reasons than just making it easier for some people to lose weight. It's not a coincidence that if you cut out sugar and processed carbs, you also basically cut out all junk food in one fell swoop. That's why that works. We're not designed to eat that shit.
User avatar
eldanielfire
Posts: 32405
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: First time fatty; need help losing weight

Post by eldanielfire »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:30 pm
Fat Albert wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:21 pm Bimbo

My GP for 30 years who was also my uncle summed up dietary advice in 2 words






Eat Less






Ps He died from heart failure at 73 having been clinically obese all his life :|
It's perfect advice.

The only way anybody is or has ever lost weight is by eating less calories than they burn or chopping off limbs. That's true whether your GP succeeded on a personal level or not.

Eating less carbs and sugars may well make that easier for some people, but it's not the lack of carbs that cause the weight loss, it's the lack of calories. I've lost 10kg over lockdown by following one rule: never eat before 12 midday, and after 12 midday, only eat once I genuinely feel hunger. After that's occurred I allow myself to eat whatever I want for the rest of the day, even chips and ice creams (both are rare occurrences, I generally keep it pretty healthy and high protein).

That much all said, I am personally convinced that eating a low-carb diet, particularly a low-sugar and low-processed-carb diet, is healthy for a whole host of other reasons than just making it easier for some people to lose weight. It's not a coincidence that if you cut out sugar and processed carbs, you also basically cut out all junk food in one fell swoop. That's why that works. We're not designed to eat that shit.
Yes it's calories, but look at any meal, cut out protein or fats and you still feel hungry and have barely cut out many calories. Cut out carbs and the same meals calories dramatically drops and you won't feel hungry afterwards.

The issue with being overweight is is that certain foods are addictive and encourage people to eat more or indulge more. Almost subconsciously.
Gwenno
Posts: 8424
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: First time fatty; need help losing weight

Post by Gwenno »

I believe that it is the carbohydrate, and the amount of carbohydrate, that most drives the addictiveness/non satiating elements of processed food, and makes the satiating element of fat and protein within the same food less effective, resulting in eating to excess. It’s all very well to blame processed food on the obesity crisis, but if the only reason you can give is because ‘it’s shite’ it suggests prejudice rather than reason.
User avatar
wamberal
Posts: 1316
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: First time fatty; need help losing weight

Post by wamberal »

One little piece of advice from somebody who has struggled with obesity most of his adult life: if you really want to get down to a "normal" BMI (and I am there now), make permanent changes.


Short term fixes, diets, whatever are okay for the first phase, but PERMANENT changes are the key.
C69
Posts: 41238
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:44 pm
Location: For Wales the Welsh and aproppriate pronouns

Re: First time fatty; need help losing weight

Post by C69 »

:twisted:
wamberal wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:02 pm One little piece of advice from somebody who has struggled with obesity most of his adult life: if you really want to get down to a "normal" BMI (and I am there now), make permanent changes.


Short term fixes, diets, whatever are okay for the first phase, but PERMANENT changes are the key.
Yip I have a relatively low carb diet now and have done so for about 4 years now.

Still have a choc bar or biscuit a day and very rarely drink alcohol now.

I know I should exercise more but covid makes that challenging tbh
User avatar
wamberal
Posts: 1316
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: First time fatty; need help losing weight

Post by wamberal »

C69 wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:22 pm :twisted:
wamberal wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:02 pm One little piece of advice from somebody who has struggled with obesity most of his adult life: if you really want to get down to a "normal" BMI (and I am there now), make permanent changes.


Short term fixes, diets, whatever are okay for the first phase, but PERMANENT changes are the key.
Yip I have a relatively low carb diet now and have done so for about 4 years now.

Still have a choc bar or biscuit a day and very rarely drink alcohol now.

I know I should exercise more but covid makes that challenging tbh

We have a glass of wine three nights a week, Fri-Sun, unless we go out or on holidays. Alcohol can be a killer in terms of calories. But the main thing is to get into a rhythm that you can maintain, and which will keep your weight at an acceptable level. Sounds as though you have achieved that. But keep an eye on yourself, if the belt starts to get tight, stop being so nice to yourself!
User avatar
eldanielfire
Posts: 32405
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: First time fatty; need help losing weight

Post by eldanielfire »

wamberal wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:02 pm One little piece of advice from somebody who has struggled with obesity most of his adult life: if you really want to get down to a "normal" BMI (and I am there now), make permanent changes.


Short term fixes, diets, whatever are okay for the first phase, but PERMANENT changes are the key.
Permanent life styles changes aren't easy for some. Some people don't have the stability in their lives from family, relationships, stress, time, emotional turmoil etc to not resort to occasional pick-me-ups which become the norm.

That's why I recommend the Dukan Diet, follow it as you should and it includes now to return to "normal" introducing carbs sensibly. It also points out that multiple dieting will eventually become less and less effective. I'm relatively surprised that mine is working so well 2nd time over. I don't plan to need a third.
C69
Posts: 41238
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:44 pm
Location: For Wales the Welsh and aproppriate pronouns

Re: First time fatty; need help losing weight

Post by C69 »

eldanielfire wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:50 am
wamberal wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:02 pm One little piece of advice from somebody who has struggled with obesity most of his adult life: if you really want to get down to a "normal" BMI (and I am there now), make permanent changes.


Short term fixes, diets, whatever are okay for the first phase, but PERMANENT changes are the key.
Permanent life styles changes aren't easy for some. Some people don't have the stability in their lives from family, relationships, stress, time, emotional turmoil etc to not resort to occasional pick-me-ups which become the norm.

That's why I recommend the Dukan Diet, follow it as you should and it includes now to return to "normal" introducing carbs sensibly. It also points out that multiple dieting will eventually become less and less effective. I'm relatively surprised that mine is working so well 2nd time over. I don't plan to need a third.
I get the stress thing and I still have a blow out once a weekwith the family, take away Friday or Saturday is a must :thumbup:
User avatar
Mog The Almighty
Posts: 12894
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:33 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: First time fatty; need help losing weight

Post by Mog The Almighty »

eldanielfire wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:43 pm
Mog The Almighty wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:30 pm
Fat Albert wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:21 pm Bimbo

My GP for 30 years who was also my uncle summed up dietary advice in 2 words






Eat Less






Ps He died from heart failure at 73 having been clinically obese all his life :|
It's perfect advice.

The only way anybody is or has ever lost weight is by eating less calories than they burn or chopping off limbs. That's true whether your GP succeeded on a personal level or not.

Eating less carbs and sugars may well make that easier for some people, but it's not the lack of carbs that cause the weight loss, it's the lack of calories. I've lost 10kg over lockdown by following one rule: never eat before 12 midday, and after 12 midday, only eat once I genuinely feel hunger. After that's occurred I allow myself to eat whatever I want for the rest of the day, even chips and ice creams (both are rare occurrences, I generally keep it pretty healthy and high protein).

That much all said, I am personally convinced that eating a low-carb diet, particularly a low-sugar and low-processed-carb diet, is healthy for a whole host of other reasons than just making it easier for some people to lose weight. It's not a coincidence that if you cut out sugar and processed carbs, you also basically cut out all junk food in one fell swoop. That's why that works. We're not designed to eat that shit.
Yes it's calories, but look at any meal, cut out protein or fats and you still feel hungry and have barely cut out many calories. Cut out carbs and the same meals calories dramatically drops and you won't feel hungry afterwards.

The issue with being overweight is is that certain foods are addictive and encourage people to eat more or indulge more. Almost subconsciously.
That is almost certainly true when it comes to sugar.

But not all carbs, in fact your first sentence is wrong. You'd be surprised at how little calories there are in a huge bowl of salad or a plate full of broccoli. The calories it contains will almost all come from the fats in salad dressings. So I think cutting out those kind of carbs is ineffective and even counter-productive and unhealthy.

Sugar and processed carbs are the problem. Low carb diets work because they cut them out by default. Cutting out broccoli isn't doing shit though.
Last edited by Mog The Almighty on Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Muttonbirds
Posts: 2019
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:22 am
Location: Aotearoa

Re: First time fatty; need help losing weight

Post by Muttonbirds »

I've lost 8kg since November. High intensity exercise is the key, hill runs and biking. And lots of sit-ups, crunches, and planking. Diet pretty much the same.
User avatar
eldanielfire
Posts: 32405
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: First time fatty; need help losing weight

Post by eldanielfire »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:02 am
eldanielfire wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:43 pm
Mog The Almighty wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:30 pm
Fat Albert wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:21 pm Bimbo

My GP for 30 years who was also my uncle summed up dietary advice in 2 words






Eat Less






Ps He died from heart failure at 73 having been clinically obese all his life :|
It's perfect advice.

The only way anybody is or has ever lost weight is by eating less calories than they burn or chopping off limbs. That's true whether your GP succeeded on a personal level or not.

Eating less carbs and sugars may well make that easier for some people, but it's not the lack of carbs that cause the weight loss, it's the lack of calories. I've lost 10kg over lockdown by following one rule: never eat before 12 midday, and after 12 midday, only eat once I genuinely feel hunger. After that's occurred I allow myself to eat whatever I want for the rest of the day, even chips and ice creams (both are rare occurrences, I generally keep it pretty healthy and high protein).

That much all said, I am personally convinced that eating a low-carb diet, particularly a low-sugar and low-processed-carb diet, is healthy for a whole host of other reasons than just making it easier for some people to lose weight. It's not a coincidence that if you cut out sugar and processed carbs, you also basically cut out all junk food in one fell swoop. That's why that works. We're not designed to eat that shit.
Yes it's calories, but look at any meal, cut out protein or fats and you still feel hungry and have barely cut out many calories. Cut out carbs and the same meals calories dramatically drops and you won't feel hungry afterwards.

The issue with being overweight is is that certain foods are addictive and encourage people to eat more or indulge more. Almost subconsciously.
That is almost certainly true when it comes to sugar.

But not all carbs, in fact your first sentence is wrong. You'd be surprised at how little calories there are in a huge bowl of salad or a plate full of broccoli. The calories it contains will almost all come from the fats in salad dressings. So I think cutting out those kind of carbs is ineffective and even counter-productive and unhealthy.

Sugar and processed carbs are the problem. Low carb diets work because they cut them out by default. Cutting out broccoli isn't doing shit though.
As I said, if it was just "Cut them out and get thin", life would be easy. Most people wouldn't call eating Broccoli eating carbs. Just like we don't call eating meat carbs despite the fact both have a small number of carbs in them. I also wouldn't ever comfort eat Broccoli or salad mate, dressing or no dressing.

The fact is people consume large amounts of pastry, chocolate, crisps and junk food because they don't realsie they are high carbs/calories but it act as comfort in a high stress society.

Given a few examples I know, I know a mate who works long hours and some days needs a de-stress. Boss ball ache, customers ball ache and sometimes other staff ball ache. Ideally he'll home come on and play COD or Cyberpunk with mates or an hour to chill and get the day off. But his girlfriend will then start bothering him for attention when he does. Sounds minor but if he doesn't respond or asks for a hour or anything she'll go nuts at him, slam doors demand attention or invent jobs for him to do then complain he does nothing around the house. Recently he's found he has no outlet, no matter how often he explains he wants to de-stress she won't change, even though she accepts and agrees with him, next time she'll act as if they never spoke about it and do it again.

Now he doesn't play because it will mean an argument or a bad mood and atmosphere when he has to walk on eggshells. As a result he's always stressed, tense etc. Guess what his outlet currently is when he pops into a show on the way home? Sure he could snack on low carb stuff, but what's the point when he's looking for a dopamine fix to get the day off him?

From numerous friends I can point to long days and no time, stressful demanding and dependent parents, people looking after parents with dementia, kids with all sorts of problems, volatile girlfriends or boyfriends, financial stress etc. They aren't going to get satisfaction from salads with dressing. That's why carbs are problematic and lifestyle choices are difficult.
bimboman
Posts: 70046
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: First time fatty; need help losing weight

Post by bimboman »

Eldan, there’s no point. Mog is a denier of Hormones.
Post Reply