First time fatty; need help losing weight

All things Rugby
Newsome

First time fatty; need help losing weight

Post by Newsome »

I've hit the dreaded 30 and the gut and double chin are getting ridiculous now. I know there is a gym/fitness thread somewhere, but I just want simple advice about the best/quickest/easiest way to shed the lard.

Don't really have time to go to the gym. What can I do at home? I tried jogging before; it left me starving, and I probably ended up eating double my usual amount :lol:

Can I still drink 10 cups of tea a day?

Help a brother out.
Kahu

Re: First time fatty; need help losing weight

Post by Kahu »

Toast for brekky

Yogurt and fruit for morning tea

Protein and veges for lunch

Fruit or salad afternoon tea

Protein and veges for dinner

Sunday eat whatever you like
Last edited by Kahu on Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ewinkum

Post by Ewinkum »

I too am a fat bastard and could use some pointers.
Newsome

Post by Newsome »

Kahu wrote:Toast for brekky

My biggest issue, and my wife gives me shit for it, is I eat dinner very late. She says that's the main reason. Not sure if true or not.
JB1981

Post by JB1981 »

There was an old thread dedicated to just your dilemma:
towny wrote:Hi there overweight posters!

Are you sick of people laughing at you?

Are you sick of people calling you "Lardarse" and "Fatty-fatty Boomsticks"?

Have you tried loads of diets and exercise fads and found it too hard to get motivated? Perhaps you're a lazy plum who couldn't be arsed?

Well, perhaps this is for you!!
http://forum.planetrugby.com/viewtopic. ... &hilit=Fat
Kahu

Post by Kahu »

If you eat late at night just don't eat early in the morning
Newsome

Post by Newsome »

Kahu wrote:If you eat late at night just don't eat early in the morning
What am I, a Terminator? That's when I'm hungriest.
assfly

Post by assfly »

Run.

It provides physical and mental wellbeing.

Come up with a program and book yourself into a race so you've got something to train for.

Plan and eat properly :thumbup:
dam0

Post by dam0 »

One simple tip is to increase the amount of protein you eat and decrease the amount of carbs.

Running and other cardio is ok, but for best results you should include some weight training as well. Shorter, more intense bouts of exercise are better than longer low intensive sessions.
Nieghorn

Post by Nieghorn »

Dropping my total caloric intake in a day led to more weight loss than all kinds of physical exercise. I still am active, but do not bust my ass in the gym for an hour or go for a two hour ride.
comets

Post by comets »

or maybe..just eat once or twice a day like ppl form 3rd world countries :/
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

No beer. No sugar.
Yourmother

Post by Yourmother »

Yes. Someone’s trying to lose weight and you’re suggesting 5 meals a day. Most with fruit sugar.
Yourmother

Post by Yourmother »

Skip breakfast. Eating breakfast makes you hungrier for rest of day. Plus you’ve enough stored energy from previous days food you need to activate in to using.

Cook dinner without the carb content. Ditch bread/rice/etc.
thor

Post by thor »

Simplest method; eat twice a day, no snacks within an 8 hour window.
What you eat will make this easy or almost impossible. Anything processed or sugary (comes in a packet or box) will make it very hard. Food made from scratch consisting of meat, Veges and fruit will make it easy.

A good insight into what works, why most people fail, is the obesity code by Jason fung. It is pretty long winded.
WoodlandsRFC

Post by WoodlandsRFC »

DragsterDriver wrote:No beer. No sugar.
No bread and a bit of exercise and you'll be right.
Kahu

Post by Kahu »

Yourmother wrote:Yes. Someone’s trying to lose weight and you’re suggesting 5 meals a day. Most with fruit sugar.
Diet worked for me. Went from 94 to 69 in 3 months.
Calculus

Post by Calculus »

Newsome wrote:I've hit the dreaded 30 and the gut and double chin are getting ridiculous now. I know there is a gym/fitness thread somewhere, but I just want simple advice about the best/quickest/easiest way to shed the lard.

Don't really have time to go to the gym. What can I do at home? I tried jogging before; it left me starving, and I probably ended up eating double my usual amount :lol:

Help a brother out.
Sugary milky tea? Probably not a good idea.
I'm quite a bit older than you and I've never been overweight. When I'm inactive I simply don't have much of an appetite so I don't really put on weight, in fact I weigh the same now as when I was 19.
newportblue

Post by newportblue »

Everyone will probably tell you a different answer based on what worked for them.

Try a few diets and find one which suits your preferences and schedule. Then stick to it because consistency is what will have the biggest impact.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

If you’re serious and just want to lose weight, then white fish and green vegetables for your 3 daily meals and nothing else at all.

If you’re looking (and you are) a life style change then get to the training thread and learn.
Salient

Post by Salient »

Newsome wrote:I've hit the dreaded 30 and the gut and double chin are getting ridiculous now. I know there is a gym/fitness thread somewhere, but I just want simple advice about the best/quickest/easiest way to shed the lard.

Help a brother out.
Drop that cream bun right now fattie!
globus

Post by globus »

Good luck Newsome. I'm more than twice your age but never been overweight.

Now that obesity is the primary cause of cancer, we are told, even above smoking, get those pounds off!
Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm »

Eat smaller portions with every meal. Eat less bread. Drink water when hungry between meals.
Jeff the Bear

Post by Jeff the Bear »

Eggs. Lots and lots of eggs. I've done things like the Dukan diet etc., and the basics of fat + protein and no carbs really works...but the basis to any successful weight loss I've managed has been a couple of eggs for brekkie (and nothing else), and if I'm really trying to hit it hard, another two at night in an omelette with a filling of your choice.

You'll think it's not enough, but it doesn't take long for the body to get used it to it, and the weight just starts to melt away (some exercise also helps a lot to prime the body for weight loss).
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

What is your height and weight?
binge90

Post by binge90 »

Newsome wrote:

My biggest issue, and my wife gives me shit for it, is I eat dinner very late. She says that's the main reason. Not sure if true or not.
Feel free to go back and tell her that she's talking out her arse. That is absolutely false. (I'll give you references if she gets narky). Meal timing has zero impact on weight gain or weight loss, what matters is caloric balance, IE reducing your overall calories daily., or burning off more through activity.

This can be done in any way you feel like doing, ALL of the fad diets that you hear about operate surreptitiously by this same principle for weight loss and claim it's down to other things that their diet does that others don't, but this has been time and again proven wrong. Every one of them reduce the number of calories that you take in through some different method (EG - Keto/Atkin's eliminates carbohydrates so you're eliminating a third of the macronutrient groups {carbohydrates gone, only fats and proteins left}, Intermittent Fasting only lets you eat for 8 hours in a day {tough to eat enough per day to reach your daily caloric needs}, I can do the same for any fad diet ad nauseum).

The ideal approach is getting knowledgeable about things so you're not fighting blind is:

- To start tracking what you're eating, weighing your foods and stop eyeballing them (this is huge, we've lost sight of what normal portion sizes are as a society, we think we need way more than we do). Track your daily intake with something like myfitnesspal app (it's free and a lot less work than people think)
- Get a weighing scales and weigh yourself weekly to track any progress, (don't weigh daily there's too much fluctuance, and choose the same time every week - I normally go for "in the nip right after my morning dump" timing so it's consistent).
- Work out your daily caloric needs using a macronutrient calculator - This is the best one: https://sigmanutrition.com/sigma-nutrit ... alculator/ , if you don't have excel come back to me and I'll find you one online. Then start weighing and tracking your food to fall in line with this.

If you'd rather a more simple approach than the above ideal, the things you should try doing are:
- Don't feel obliged to eat breakfast, and if you think you would never survive without it, just try it one day and see how you get on, you may operate way better than you expect. If you do eat breakfast, get a protein/fat source in with a slow burning carbohydrate as P/F digest slower and increases satiety (fullness) for longer: Couple of eggs in the morning with a small serving of porridge (don't lash a load of sugar in it FFS) works very well.
- Protein and vegetables (stuff with colour in them, not starches) for lunch, just vegetables in general really - They have a very low nutrient density, IE they take up loads of space in your gut for very few calories, and they have fibre so take a while to digest and help your gut stay healthy.
- Protein, vegetables and some carbohydrates for dinner - Weigh your carbohydrates and try and have a generally smaller portion over time, particularly look at stuff that are low nutrient density again - potatoes again good for this, so a couple of potatoes should fill you up a bit better than the equivalent calories of rice or pasta for example. Try and substitute sauces for spices/spice mixes because sauces unfortunately can end up adding a lot of calories to a meal. If you do have to add a sauce, look at lower calorie ones - Read the labels, but look to hot sauces, or maybe a tomato salsa/passata/bolognese sauce
- Snacks: Fruit is fine, it's sugar but has some fibre in it too so can satisfy a sweet tooth and fill your stomach a bit.
- DO NOT DRINK YOUR CALORIES - Drink water/sparkling water/zero calorie diet drinks for a sweet tooth (absolutely fine to have, no impact on weight).

Stay away from everything you know you should stay away from, I won't treat you like an idiot here.

If you can't get to a gym, get your NEAT up (Non Exercise Associated Thermogenesis), IE anything that burns calories that isn't technically "training" - If in any way you can walk to and from work, do it, if it's too far to walk, cycle. Try and get 10k steps in per day, get a step counter downloaded on your phone.

Yeah that's basically it, anything that isn't meat and potatoes/nuts and bolts is likely bullshit and won't make any difference.

Sorry for the long post, I couldn't sleep and waiting for th SR final to kick off, and what your wife said to you annoyed me, can't stand people getting blinded by the bullshit (and by god there is so much bullshit) in this area. Hope it helps and get back to me with any questions.
Newsome

Post by Newsome »

binge90 wrote:
Newsome wrote:

Feel free to go back and tell her that she's talking out her arse. That is absolutely false. (I'll give you references if she gets narky). Meal timing has zero impact on weight gain or weight loss, what matters is caloric balance, IE reducing your overall calories daily., or burning off more through activity.

This can be done in any way you feel like doing, ALL of the fad diets that you hear about operate surreptitiously by this same principle for weight loss and claim it's down to other things that their diet does that others don't, but this has been time and again proven wrong. Every one of them reduce the number of calories that you take in through some different method (EG - Keto/Atkin's eliminates carbohydrates so you're eliminating a third of the macronutrient groups {carbohydrates gone, only fats and proteins left}, Intermittent Fasting only lets you eat for 8 hours in a day {tough to eat enough per day to reach your daily caloric needs}, I can do the same for any fad diet ad nauseum).

The ideal approach is getting knowledgeable about things so you're not fighting blind is:

- To start tracking what you're eating, weighing your foods and stop eyeballing them (this is huge, we've lost sight of what normal portion sizes are as a society, we think we need way more than we do). Track your daily intake with something like myfitnesspal app (it's free and a lot less work than people think)
- Get a weighing scales and weigh yourself weekly to track any progress, (don't weigh daily there's too much fluctuance, and choose the same time every week - I normally go for "in the nip right after my morning dump" timing so it's consistent).
- Work out your daily caloric needs using a macronutrient calculator - This is the best one: https://sigmanutrition.com/sigma-nutrit ... alculator/ , if you don't have excel come back to me and I'll find you one online. Then start weighing and tracking your food to fall in line with this.

If you'd rather a more simple approach than the above ideal, the things you should try doing are:
- Don't feel obliged to eat breakfast, and if you think you would never survive without it, just try it one day and see how you get on, you may operate way better than you expect. If you do eat breakfast, get a protein/fat source in with a slow burning carbohydrate as P/F digest slower and increases satiety (fullness) for longer: Couple of eggs in the morning with a small serving of porridge (don't lash a load of sugar in it FFS) works very well.
- Protein and vegetables (stuff with colour in them, not starches) for lunch, just vegetables in general really - They have a very low nutrient density, IE they take up loads of space in your gut for very few calories, and they have fibre so take a while to digest and help your gut stay healthy.
- Protein, vegetables and some carbohydrates for dinner - Weigh your carbohydrates and try and have a generally smaller portion over time, particularly look at stuff that are low nutrient density again - potatoes again good for this, so a couple of potatoes should fill you up a bit better than the equivalent calories of rice or pasta for example. Try and substitute sauces for spices/spice mixes because sauces unfortunately can end up adding a lot of calories to a meal. If you do have to add a sauce, look at lower calorie ones - Read the labels, but look to hot sauces, or maybe a tomato salsa/passata/bolognese sauce
- Snacks: Fruit is fine, it's sugar but has some fibre in it too so can satisfy a sweet tooth and fill your stomach a bit.
- DO NOT DRINK YOUR CALORIES - Drink water/sparkling water/zero calorie diet drinks for a sweet tooth (absolutely fine to have, no impact on weight).

Stay away from everything you know you should stay away from, I won't treat you like an idiot here.

If you can't get to a gym, get your NEAT up (Non Exercise Associated Thermogenesis), IE anything that burns calories that isn't technically "training" - If in any way you can walk to and from work, do it, if it's too far to walk, cycle. Try and get 10k steps in per day, get a step counter downloaded on your phone.

Yeah that's basically it, anything that isn't meat and potatoes/nuts and bolts is likely bullshit and won't make any difference.

Sorry for the long post, I couldn't sleep and waiting for th SR final to kick off, and what your wife said to you annoyed me, can't stand people getting blinded by the bullshit (and by god there is so much bullshit) in this area. Hope it helps and get back to me with any questions.
She's Chinese. She thinks eating a sea cucumber will cure cancer.

Thanks for the advice, and to everyone else also. I'm pretty good with NEAT exercise stuff, so I think a few eggs for breakfast, fish and greens for my meals -thanks bimbo (add dieting to the list) - and hopefully I should be good to go.

Most of it is mental. It's not like I'm allowed to pull chicks at the bar and and shag myself silly anymore, so the reason to stay in shape was lost.But now...that double chin is a really big downer.

Lets do this!
Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm »

Just read Binge’s post 3 times. The weight will just melt off you. :D
RuggaBugga

Post by RuggaBugga »

So your advice for losing weight is to eat 5 times per day?
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

RuggaBugga wrote:

Lots of weight losing diets up the actual eating times, very common.
Margin_Walker

Post by Margin_Walker »

Find intermittent fasting works great for me in keeping the weight off. Tend to eat two big meals a day in a window between 11am and 7pm. Still pretty carb heavy, otherwise stay clear of too much junk.

You quickly adapt to not having breakfast if your body is not expecting it. Hardest part is having to deal with my Mother in Law's complete bewilderment about 'skipping the most important meal of the day' whenever we are over there.

Don't do anything like as much exercise as I did a few years ago, but do find a step counter is useful. 10k steps is an easily achievable goal, as Binge mentioned if you're not doing any proper training.
Hareaway

Post by Hareaway »

I did a 3 week program developed by a friend of mine , dropped 13 kgs in 3 weeks ... from 100 kg down to 87

Now sitting at 91 six months later , easy as and no exercise

Bout $100nzd including complete meal plans , shopping lists etc
That’s like 2 pound sixpence
Oh and no exercise ...

Shit works fatties ... get on it

beyond your belly.com
Last edited by Hareaway on Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Kiwias wrote:What is your height and weight?

Stop objectifying them!
Insane_Homer

Post by Insane_Homer »

LCHF with intermittent fasting,

basically cut out sugars and starches, Carbs.
Hareaway

Post by Hareaway »

Insane_Homer wrote:LCHF with intermittent fasting,

basically cut out sugars and starches, Carbs.
Yep that’s what I did ... easy as Sunday Morning
binge90

Post by binge90 »

Sandstorm wrote:Just read Binge’s post 3 times. The weight will just melt off you. :D
Should work better than "stop eating bread". :thumbup:
Gwenno

Post by Gwenno »

I've been doing intermittent fasting successfully for years. My wife struggles with it so she asked me to try low carbs (I'm the main cook since going part time) and we've been doing it a few weeks now. I was quite keen anyway because of the growing evidence of the dangers of hyperinsulinaemia. I am amazed at the reduction in hunger, whether from reduced insulin levels, or reduced glucose swings. An essential part is to forget most of what has been said about fat, saturated in particular. It doesn't seem to have adversely influenced my favoured exercise, swimming, cycling, mountain walking. In fact, one of my work colleagues trains for Ironman on low carbs. Not only is the fasting still a doddle, I usually skip lunch most days as well.
Kahu

Post by Kahu »

RuggaBugga wrote:

Specific dynamic action (SDA), also known as thermic effect of food (TEF) or dietary induced thermogenesis (DIT), is the amount of energy expenditure above the basal metabolic rate due to the cost of processing food for use and storage.
RuggaBugga

Post by RuggaBugga »

Kahu wrote:
RuggaBugga wrote:

Specific dynamic action (SDA), also known as thermic effect of food (TEF) or dietary induced thermogenesis (DIT), is the amount of energy expenditure above the basal metabolic rate due to the cost of processing food for use and storage.
Or you could just eat less and go for a walk.