Blues 2020-21 Optimism Thread

All things Rugby
mrbrownstone

Re: Beauden Barrett Appreciation & Blues 2020-21 Optimism Th

Post by mrbrownstone »

Will be a little sickening to see DC in a Blues jersey, although will be great to see him back.

10. Carter
15. Barrett

Would be quite interesting, although I suspect

10. Barrett
22. Carter

Is more likely.
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

So he's in covering perofeta's injury but will play behind otere black and BB.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Anything that can build up the hopes of Blues’ fans before dashing them onto the rocks like a cormorant shitting at the high tide mark is fine by me.
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

Ali's Choice wrote:
JPNZ wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote: The big un-answered question now is will Dan Carter's dad stop speaking to him? Because that was the reason given back in 2009 for him not signing with them when the Blues offered him a million dollars to move to Auckland from the Crusaders.
Pretty extraordinary circumstances and its only 10 weeks so not even super rugby really..

Either way even as a fervent Crusaders supporter, I'm happy to see him back even as a backup player.
Me too. I've heard a rumour that he's actually going to act as a Crusaders Trojan horse, to destroy the Blues season from the inside out. Expect him to miss crucial, game deciding shots at goal from close range a la Gavin Hastings in the 1991 RWC semi final.
You mean just like Robbie Deans did with the Wallabies?
Taranaki Snapper

Post by Taranaki Snapper »

Why can't NZ's most populous catchment produce, develop and retain their own talent?
Anyway, Pungarehu is dead to me, until BB turns out for Taranaki...
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

booji boy wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:
JPNZ wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote: The big un-answered question now is will Dan Carter's dad stop speaking to him? Because that was the reason given back in 2009 for him not signing with them when the Blues offered him a million dollars to move to Auckland from the Crusaders.
Pretty extraordinary circumstances and its only 10 weeks so not even super rugby really..

Either way even as a fervent Crusaders supporter, I'm happy to see him back even as a backup player.
Me too. I've heard a rumour that he's actually going to act as a Crusaders Trojan horse, to destroy the Blues season from the inside out. Expect him to miss crucial, game deciding shots at goal from close range a la Gavin Hastings in the 1991 RWC semi final.
Deans's record wasn't too bad when you compare it to supercoach Chieka's.
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

Ali's Choice wrote:
booji boy wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:
JPNZ wrote:

True! :thumbup:

It was actually pretty solid in hindsight. His two Aussie successors records have been dismal by comparison.

It will be interesting to see how Rennie goes.
naki

Post by naki »

Carter's mere presence improves the title chances of any team he gets involved with.

Perpignan - no Top 14 titles for more than 50 years. Dan Carter shows up, gets injured, but they still win it. He leaves and they haven't been close again

Racing - no Top 14 titles for nearly 30 years. Dan Carter shows up, they win it. He leaves and they haven't been close again. They also never make a HEC final ever, then Carter shows up and they make two of them (with him again injured throughout the campaigns). He's left and they don't look likely to make one again any time soon

Kobelco - no titles for decades. Dan Carter shows up and they win one straight away, and never lose a game again with him in the side.

What I'm saying is - it's the Chiefs year. :nod:
naki

Post by naki »

Anyone remember the last game these two played together?

Spoiler: show
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

We coulda done with one of the blokes in Canes country. :(
Auckman

Post by Auckman »

welcome Vice-GOAT!

UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

booji boy wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:
booji boy wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:
JPNZ wrote:

True! :thumbup:

It was actually pretty solid in hindsight. His two Aussie successors records have been dismal by comparison.

It will be interesting to see how Rennie goes.
It's been well established by the Hammettuer fluffers on here that the previous coaches get to take the glory for the success of the following coaches. Therefore Deans gets to take all the glory for his successors' dismal by comparison records.
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

Tell me it is not true that Dan Carter is joining the Blues.
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

Kiwias wrote:Tell me it is not true that Dan Carter is joining the Blues.
It's end of days alright.
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

One of the guys at the club said he’d heard it was because DC and Robertson don’t get on.

I’ve never heard that, and he’s not the guy at the club I’d necessarily trust. Anyone heard this before?
Auckman

Post by Auckman »

:D :D :D
BlueThunder

Post by BlueThunder »

This continues to cement the Blue's place as the most prestigious and desirable team in the country. Dan Carter is truly a man of culture. All the talent flocking to join the unstoppable bandwagon.
Sonny Blount

Post by Sonny Blount »

kiwigreg369 wrote:One of the guys at the club said he’d heard it was because DC and Robertson don’t get on.

I’ve never heard that, and he’s not the guy at the club I’d necessarily trust. Anyone heard this before?

DC has lived in Auckland for years now.
Peaches

Post by Peaches »

naki wrote:Carter's mere presence improves the title chances of any team he gets involved with.

Perpignan - no Top 14 titles for more than 50 years. Dan Carter shows up, gets injured, but they still win it. He leaves and they haven't been close again

Racing - no Top 14 titles for nearly 30 years. Dan Carter shows up, they win it. He leaves and they haven't been close again. They also never make a HEC final ever, then Carter shows up and they make two of them (with him again injured throughout the campaigns). He's left and they don't look likely to make one again any time soon

Kobelco - no titles for decades. Dan Carter shows up and they win one straight away, and never lose a game again with him in the side.

Except 2011 when NZ won with 6th stringer Stephen Donald. :shock:
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

Peaches wrote:
naki wrote:Carter's mere presence improves the title chances of any team he gets involved with.

Didn't Dan Carter have 7 winless super rugby seasons to end his career? Even Carter's legendary 'mere presence' couldn't offset the coaching shortcomings of Todd Slackbladder.
naki

Post by naki »

Peaches wrote:

I don’t think you understand what “mere presence” means

booji boy

Post by booji boy »

naki wrote:
Peaches wrote:

:lol:
Peaches

Post by Peaches »

naki wrote:
Peaches wrote:

This is presence tbh

blackblackblack

Post by blackblackblack »

That's that guy that lost a RWC final isn't it? What's his name again?
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

blackblackblack wrote:That's that guy that lost a RWC final isn't it? What's his name again?
Yeah that's him, the one that petulantly refused to wear his match losing medal.
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

It's not true.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

blackblackblack wrote:That's that guy that lost a RWC final isn't it? What's his name again?
:lol: Mr Flappy
JM2K6

Post by JM2K6 »

To be fair to Maro, at his age Carter had only managed to lose a RWC semi-final, having spent most of the tournament on the bench, then a quarter-final exit. Maro has some way to go yet :thumbup:
Taranaki Snapper

Post by Taranaki Snapper »

Loyalty to any one sports team is pretty hard to justify, because the players are always changing, the team can move to another city. You're actually rooting for the clothes, when you get right down to it. You know what I mean? You are standing and cheering and yelling for your clothes to beat the clothes from another city. Fans will be so in love with a player, but if he goes to another team, they boo him. This is the same human being in a different shirt; they hate him now. Boo! Different shirt! Boo!
JM2K6

Post by JM2K6 »

Taranaki Snapper wrote:
Loyalty to any one sports team is pretty hard to justify, because the players are always changing, the team can move to another city. You're actually rooting for the clothes, when you get right down to it. You know what I mean? You are standing and cheering and yelling for your clothes to beat the clothes from another city. Fans will be so in love with a player, but if he goes to another team, they boo him. This is the same human being in a different shirt; they hate him now. Boo! Different shirt! Boo!
Don't defend naki like this
Auckman

Re: Blues 2020-21 Optimism Thread

Post by Auckman »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8-0TkikRrI

Bench cam behind the scenes at the Blues/Chiefs match on the weekend.
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

Auckman wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8-0TkikRrI

Love the Airforce flyover at the start. You'd think it was a WWII Battle of Britain commemoration.

"Ah no, that's actually our current Airforce." :lol: :blush:
Auckman

Post by Auckman »

:o :lol: The trainers. Yep, back to propeller days.
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

Thought here was as good as anywhere, major bonus for the Blues. This kid is a quality player..
Lock Sam Darry is about as Canterbury as they come, but when he hits Super Rugby it will be in a Blues jersey – a New Zealand Schools player and under-20 triallist, he has signed for the Blues for three years.

Darry was former captain of Christ’s College, a member of the school’s winning Maadi Cup rowing team, and Canterbury Under-19 player of the year last year.

The 2m lock, who turned 20 this week, will continue to contract to the Canterbury provincial union, but an urge to step out of his comfort zone was a key driver to his decision to move north. “I’ve had a pretty sheltered time my whole life in Christchurch and felt it was time to learn more about myself and as a rugby player standing on my own in the real world,” said Darry.

“It was a tough decision. As a Canterbury boy it was a strong pull to stay, but I knew deep down that I really needed to become more self-reliant.” Darry said he was impressed with the Blues environment, their style of play and the feedback he got from coaches, players and administration.
https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/sup ... -the-blues
mrbrownstone

Post by mrbrownstone »

From what I've heard, that's a great signing for the Blues. Darry sounds like a real talent.

Can't really blame him knowing he's stuck behind Whitelock, Barrett, Dunshea, Strange, Romano, and potentially Grace in the current pecking order.
Wilderbeast

Post by Wilderbeast »

mrbrownstone wrote:From what I've heard, that's a great signing for the Blues. Darry sounds like a real talent.

Can't really blame him knowing he's stuck behind Whitelock, Barrett, Dunshea, Strange, Romano, and potentially Grace in the current pecking order.
Shameless bragging.
Auckman

Post by Auckman »

Fantastic signing. I'm always a big advocate for quality tight-five signings.
puku

Post by puku »

Auckman wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8-0TkikRrI

Cool perspective on the game.

Tu'inukuafe is a big unit. Regular camera angles just don't show how solid he is. When he stands up at 3:12 to go onto the pitch though :shock:
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

JPNZ wrote:Thought here was as good as anywhere, major bonus for the Blues. This kid is a quality player..
Lock Sam Darry is about as Canterbury as they come, but when he hits Super Rugby it will be in a Blues jersey – a New Zealand Schools player and under-20 triallist, he has signed for the Blues for three years.

Darry was former captain of Christ’s College, a member of the school’s winning Maadi Cup rowing team, and Canterbury Under-19 player of the year last year.

The 2m lock, who turned 20 this week, will continue to contract to the Canterbury provincial union, but an urge to step out of his comfort zone was a key driver to his decision to move north. “I’ve had a pretty sheltered time my whole life in Christchurch and felt it was time to learn more about myself and as a rugby player standing on my own in the real world,” said Darry.

“It was a tough decision. As a Canterbury boy it was a strong pull to stay, but I knew deep down that I really needed to become more self-reliant.” Darry said he was impressed with the Blues environment, their style of play and the feedback he got from coaches, players and administration.
https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/sup ... -the-blues
That's massive. All the best to the young fella, let's hope he makes the grade as we are a little shy on up and coming 2m plus locks at the moment.

No doubt the Canes are as surprised at this development as the rest of us hoi polloi. :(