Blues 2020-21 Optimism Thread

All things Rugby
Yourmother

Re: Beauden Barrett Appreciation & Blues 2020-21 Optimism Th

Post by Yourmother »

Why did BB do it?

Why does he want his career to end so badly?
Wilderbeast

Post by Wilderbeast »

Yourmother wrote:Why did BB do it?

Yoko
fatcat

Post by fatcat »

Auckman wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Baudewx6ybg

Highlights are promising. Of course, these are highlights. I hope the Englishers can tell us what his weaknesses are.
I don't think he has any. He's a very good player.
caleb_ralph_fans

Post by caleb_ralph_fans »

People still actually watch Super rugby?
JM2K6

Post by JM2K6 »

Highlights are promising. Of course, these are highlights. I hope the Englishers can tell us what his weaknesses are.
He's excellent. Not the biggest, but has great feet, good pace, a decent kicking game and used to play 10 when he was younger. He's consistently scored lots of tries for us and is usually one of Quins' best players.

Probably not that hot outside of 13 though so if he's shunted around it might not work so well.
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

Seneca of the Night wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:
Yourmother wrote:Why did BB do it?

Yoko
:( he's gonna hole himself in a suite in the Hilton and give TV interviews in bed, I just know it.
:lol: that will be funny to see
Yourmother

Post by Yourmother »

caleb_ralph_fans wrote:People still actually watch Super rugby?
Wrong login M Dom multi.
Auckman

Post by Auckman »

JM2K6 wrote:

He's excellent. Not the biggest, but has great feet, good pace, a decent kicking game and used to play 10 when he was younger. He's consistently scored lots of tries for us and is usually one of Quins' best players.

Probably not that hot outside of 13 though so if he's shunted around it might not work so well.
fatcat wrote:

I don't think he has any. He's a very good player.
Thanks fellas. :thumbup: I hope Joe's career survives the Blues experience. :nod:
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

Sad news for Baden Wardlaw
A chronic neck condition has put an end to Baden Wardlaw's Super Rugby career before it even began, forcing the lock to retire on Thursday. The Bay of Plenty forward announced his immediate retirement from rugby just weeks after realising his dream with the Blues call-up. The 29-year-old's path to the Blues was far from typical, and he was set to become the oldest rookie in the competition. Members inside the Blues camp Stuff spoke with had tipped him as "this year's Tom Robinson", the mobile forward expected to enjoy a break-out season in Auckland. However, recent medical checks showed the three fused vertebrae in his neck, something he has dealt with all his life, would not withstand the force he was set to endure.
https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/sup ... lly-retire
Nieghorn

Post by Nieghorn »

Zakar wrote:He's good, heir apparent to the English 13 shirt
Also probably figured if Piers Francis’ time in NZ bought him some points with Eddie, he should end up the golden child after a season with the Blooze because he’s actually a very good centre!
Kahu

Post by Kahu »

JPNZ wrote:Sad news for Baden Wardlaw
A chronic neck condition has put an end to Baden Wardlaw's Super Rugby career before it even began, forcing the lock to retire on Thursday. The Bay of Plenty forward announced his immediate retirement from rugby just weeks after realising his dream with the Blues call-up. The 29-year-old's path to the Blues was far from typical, and he was set to become the oldest rookie in the competition. Members inside the Blues camp Stuff spoke with had tipped him as "this year's Tom Robinson", the mobile forward expected to enjoy a break-out season in Auckland. However, recent medical checks showed the three fused vertebrae in his neck, something he has dealt with all his life, would not withstand the force he was set to endure.
https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/sup ... lly-retire
Poor fella. Hope he gets his contract paid in full.
Brabus

Where is the Auckland Blues Fred?

Post by Brabus »

I know it's about, through my lurking I've seen it but it is buried so deep that it is hard to find. I ask because my lovely wife bought myself and my son memberships for this year as Christmas presents. Now I need to let my rampant support loose as opposed to my claiming poverty (not having sky) and dispassionately reading about the latest dissapointmant.

I shall be at every game in Auckland with the biggest flag that I can get my hands on! I was there in 2003 for both games against the evil scum that is Canterbury! This must be our year! So if any of you have a handy link I'll take my conversation to the official Fred. (oh and as a long time lurker I remember AC's stoic defence of making Robbie Dean's coach of the AB's thank God cooler heads prevailed)
JB1981

Re: Where is the Auckland Blues Fred?

Post by JB1981 »

You usually need to scroll down to find the Blues. Good luck :thumbup:
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

So apparently the Blues beat the tournament favourites the Chiefs in a pre-season game tdoday. Any match reports out?

Edit:
Super Rugby: First-five Otere Black takes knock as fast-starting Blues make Chiefs sweat in Waihi heat
17 Jan, 2020 5:26pm 3 minutes to read
Patrick McKendry

The Blues have withstood a big second-half comeback from the Chiefs to win their pre-season Super Rugby game in Waihi today.

Playing in hot conditions in a front of a large crowd of holiday makers, Leon MacDonald's team scored four tries to three to win 26-19.

They led 19-0 at halftime but MacDonald declared himself happy with the performance.

Kurt Eklund, Ezekiel Lindenmuth, Matt Duffie, Hoskins Sotutu went over for the Blues, with Samisoni Taukei'aho scoring a double for the Chiefs and Naitoa Ah Kuoi also crossing the line in front of new coach Warren Gatland.

"We wanted to run through some of our systems and get some game time," MacDonald said. "It's hard to know where you're at at this time of year. It's been a short pre-season by normal standards.

"There were some things we were really happy with and some things we were not but that's what you get in pre-season games.

"At times some of our defence was outstanding. We showed a lot of guts there and got really physical. Some of the work at the breakdown – against a team traditionally brilliant at the breakdown – I thought we held our own there as well."

The only injury concern for the Blues was first-five Otere Black, who damaged a rib. MacDonald expected him to be available for the round one encounter against the Chiefs at Eden Park on January 31.

Harry Plummer played there as well, so some good options for us and a few [selection] headaches maybe going into round one."

All Black Beauden Barrett won't make his first appearance for the Blues until mid-April.

One of the players under the most scrutiny – apart from the Chiefs' returning All Black Damian McKenzie, who started at fullback following his return from a knee injury – was Blues' midfielder Joe Marchant, a 23-year-old England international on loan from Harlequins.

"Joe has been fantastic," MacDonald said. "Today was a bit of a bonus for him because he's coming off a reasonably long-term injury. He got 20 minutes out there in the heat. It's different weather to where he's come from. So far he's fitting in brilliantly. He's a really likeable guy, he loves his rugby and he's hard working so I think he'll fit in really well."

The Blues play the Hurricanes at Takapuna Rugby club next Friday in their final pre-season match before facing the Chiefs in their first competition match. MacDonald said he doubted Gatland and company would have gained too much intelligence from the exercise.

"You don't show your whole hand, obviously. We're looking at certain parts of our game as opposed to our ability to trick them through special moves or anything like that. The tackle area, defensive line, the breakdown, getting our set piece under way and backs trying to get some cohesion. At times we did all of those things well."

Blues 26 (Kurt Eklund, Ezekiel Lindenmuth, Matt Duffie, Hoskins Sotutu tries; Stephen Perofeta 2 cons, Harry Plummer con)

Chiefs 19 (Samisoni Taukei'aho 2, Naitoa Ah Kuoi tries; Kaleb Trask 2 cons)

Halftime: 19-0
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

Auckman

Post by Auckman »

We always win pre-season matches. If there was a pre-season cup, I reckon we'd have won a few by now.
Wilderbeast

Post by Wilderbeast »

JB1981 wrote:You usually need to scroll down to find the Blues. Good luck :thumbup:
:lol:
Brabus

Post by Brabus »

Thanks, though now the freds been merged and I so very rarely actually log in it took me a while, I apologise this is a bit belated...

As someone whose formative years were in the late 80's early 90's this pendulum has swung so far out that surely it shall be coming back soon. Either that or my wife, God bless her, doesn't think I'm depressed enough as it is. Regardless no fair weather fan me! 'tis a new season and anyone who changes allegiance because of the odd decade of disappointment ain't a true fan.

Go the Blues!
Peaches

aucklands blues 2020

Post by Peaches »

How farked are they going to be with Patrick "Leader of men" Tuipolutu as captain? :uhoh:
Ali's Choice

Re: aucklands blues 2020

Post by Ali's Choice »

I think he's a great choice as captain.
Auckman

Re: aucklands blues 2020

Post by Auckman »

Peaches wrote:How farked are they going to be with Patrick "Leader of men" Tuipolutu as captain? :uhoh:
He's an All Black, relatively experienced All Black at that even though he's not an automatic starter, very experienced Auckland and Blues player, doesn't have disciplinary issues, captained auckland in 2017 & 2018, co-captained the blues (with Blake Gibson) in 2019, and distinguished himself as my avatar for four years (2015-2019).

In other words, shoveitupyourarse Peaches.
fatcat

Post by fatcat »

So how did young Joseph do in today's win?
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

Auckman wrote:We always win pre-season matches. If there was a pre-season cup, I reckon we'd have won a few by now.
You beat me to it. Always good in the meaningless pre season games.
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

Brabus wrote:
Thanks, though now the freds been merged and I so very rarely actually log in it took me a while, I apologise this is a bit belated...

As someone whose formative years were in the late 80's early 90's this pendulum has swung so far out that surely it shall be coming back soon. Either that or my wife, God bless her, doesn't think I'm depressed enough as it is. Regardless no fair weather fan me! 'tis a new season and anyone who changes allegiance because of the odd decade of disappointment ain't a true fan.

Go the Blues!
Good work Brabus. Right there with you buddy. :thumbup: Year in, year out we live in hope. :uhoh:

Still the second most successful NZ franchise with 3 super rugby titles. 8)
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

Blues 29 - Hurricanes 28 in tonight’s pre season game
Auckman

Post by Auckman »

Reiko Ioane is out for "a significant stint on the sidelines, after fracturing a hand"

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/sport/20 ... njury.html

bugger for him. Best he's played in over a year last week.
comets

Post by comets »

Looks like Beaudy might be joining the ....chiefs......
Spoiler: show
Auckman

Post by Auckman »

Fellas,

Our Hoskins made the team of the week! He had a fine game against this year's losing finalists. Things are looking up!

Auckman

Post by Auckman »

The twitteratti divisions of both the Blues and the other ones in NSW having cheap thrills...

booji boy

Post by booji boy »

So Beauden Barrett has had enough of his sabbatical and is planning to return 'early' for the game against the Hurricanes in round 11 on 11 April? WTF? If that's early when was he originally planning to return? What a joke signing!
Lacrobat

Post by Lacrobat »

booji boy wrote:So Beauden Barrett has had enough of his sabbatical and is planning to return 'early' for the game against the Hurricanes in round 11 on 11 April? WTF? If that's early when was he originally planning to return? What a joke signing!
He was probably aiming to slot in once the Blues made the semi-finals. :)
danthefan

Post by danthefan »

I didn't realise he was on sabbatical. I'm in Cape Town next weekend so was hoping he'd be playing v the Stormers. Guess not then.
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

Lacrobat wrote:
booji boy wrote:So Beauden Barrett has had enough of his sabbatical and is planning to return 'early' for the game against the Hurricanes in round 11 on 11 April? WTF? If that's early when was he originally planning to return? What a joke signing!
He was probably aiming to slot in once the Blues made the semi-finals. :)
:lol: :x :blush:
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

It was always a joke signing. Barrett moved franchises whilst on a sabbatical. A non-playing sabbatical. Round 11? There are only 16 rounds in the regular season :lol:

Nothing has done more to devalue SR in the eyes of NZ Rugby fans than NZR's sabbaticals, rest weeks and return-to-play protocols. Maybe if these didn't exist, Super Rugby would be worth more and they could play their players more? In saying that top AB's still earn over a million $NZD a year, which is not a pauper's wage.
Wilderbeast

Post by Wilderbeast »

It’s the media’s fault for playing up the signing as much as they did. The full terms were clear from day one.
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

Ali's Choice wrote:
It was always a joke signing. Barrett moved franchises whilst on a sabbatical. A non-playing sabbatical. Round 11? There are only 16 rounds in the regular season :lol:

Nothing has done more to devalue SR in the eyes of NZ Rugby fans than NZR's sabbaticals, rest weeks and return-to-play protocols. Maybe if these didn't exist, Super Rugby would be worth more and they could play their players more? In saying that top AB's still earn over a million $NZD a year, which is not a pauper's wage.
Well we both called it months ago. The Blues will probably be out of playoff contention by then so even if BB does make a big difference (big IF) it will be too late to make any difference in the 2020 season. Pathetic!
naki

Post by naki »

Wilderbeast wrote:It’s the media’s fault for playing up the signing as much as they did. The full terms were clear from day one.
Yeah, BB and NZR are taking far more shots for what is in effect a 3 month break from playing compared to Carter’s planned 6 month absence (which became longer after getting injured actually playing during it) or McCaw holidaying for almost an entire SR season. Or, indeed, Smiths both Conrad and Ben missing entire northern tours.

It’s not like Barrett doesn’t have credits to cash in compared to those players either, he had as many caps as Carter at the time of his sabbatical (and was, unlike DC, already a RWC winner). I get why fans are over sabbaticals, but it’s unfair to target BB.
Kahu

Post by Kahu »

So it's not ok for Savea to leverage his contract value because it undermines the NZRU and the Hurricanes but it's completely fair for the NZRU and BB to undermine the integrity and value of the Auckland Blues and Super Rugby :lol:
mrbrownstone

Post by mrbrownstone »

Kahu wrote:So it's not ok for Savea to leverage his contract value because it undermines the NZRU and the Hurricanes but it's completely fair for the NZRU and BB to undermine the integrity and value of the Auckland Blues and Super Rugby :lol:
Think the horse might have bolted on that one.
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

naki wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:It’s the media’s fault for playing up the signing as much as they did. The full terms were clear from day one.
Yeah, BB and NZR are taking far more shots for what is in effect a 3 month break from playing compared to Carter’s planned 6 month absence (which became longer after getting injured actually playing during it) or McCaw holidaying for almost an entire SR season. Or, indeed, Smiths both Conrad and Ben missing entire northern tours.

It’s not like Barrett doesn’t have credits to cash in compared to those players either, he had as many caps as Carter at the time of his sabbatical (and was, unlike DC, already a RWC winner). I get why fans are over sabbaticals, but it’s unfair to target BB.
All fair enough if he was coming back to play for his incumbent team the Hurricanes but it's the move to the Blues that I'm criticizing. But that's a criticism of the Blues management not BB himself. I guess if he stays another 2-3 seasons it's worth it as a long term investment.