Blues 2020-21 Optimism Thread

All things Rugby
naki

Re: Beauden Barrett Appreciation & Blues 2020-21 Optimism Th

Post by naki »

Kahu wrote:So it's not ok for Savea to leverage his contract value because it undermines the NZRU and the Hurricanes but it's completely fair for the NZRU and BB to undermine the integrity and value of the Auckland Blues and Super Rugby :lol:
No, the legitimacy or otherwise of sabbaticals is entirely up for debate. I’m just questioning why the media and punters are going so hard at BB specifically when sabbaticals have been a NZR contract staple for more than a decade now.

Savea is not “leveraging his contract value”, it sounds like he genuinely wants to have a crack at league. The fact that he’s willing to discuss it so brazenly when he’s still got two years left on his current contract is just unwise. I don’t care that he’s undermining NZR, they do that well enough themselves. It’s just a statement of fact; Savea feeling free to come out and openly contemplate fleeweeing undermines his current employer and potentially jeopardises his future as NZR have a reputation for vindictiveness when it comes to this kind of honesty. Would hate for Savea to screw himself over with loose lips
naki

Post by naki »

booji boy wrote:
naki wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:It’s the media’s fault for playing up the signing as much as they did. The full terms were clear from day one.
Yeah, BB and NZR are taking far more shots for what is in effect a 3 month break from playing compared to Carter’s planned 6 month absence (which became longer after getting injured actually playing during it) or McCaw holidaying for almost an entire SR season. Or, indeed, Smiths both Conrad and Ben missing entire northern tours.

It’s not like Barrett doesn’t have credits to cash in compared to those players either, he had as many caps as Carter at the time of his sabbatical (and was, unlike DC, already a RWC winner). I get why fans are over sabbaticals, but it’s unfair to target BB.
All fair enough if he was coming back to play for his incumbent team the Hurricanes but it's the move to the Blues that I'm criticizing. But that's a criticism of the Blues management not BB himself. I guess if he stays another 2-3 seasons it's worth it as a long term investment.
Yeah, that’s also a contributing factor. But again it was all well understood when he joined.

As a good Taranaki lad he should have just come to the high flying Chiefs, with far less fanfare, and joined us for the playoffs :nod:
WoodlandsRFC

Post by WoodlandsRFC »

What's up with Chase Tiatia? Is he injured?
Kahu

Post by Kahu »

naki wrote:
Kahu wrote:So it's not ok for Savea to leverage his contract value because it undermines the NZRU and the Hurricanes but it's completely fair for the NZRU and BB to undermine the integrity and value of the Auckland Blues and Super Rugby :lol:
No, the legitimacy or otherwise of sabbaticals is entirely up for debate. I’m just questioning why the media and punters are going so hard at BB specifically when sabbaticals have been a NZR contract staple for more than a decade now.

Savea is not “leveraging his contract value”, it sounds like he genuinely wants to have a crack at league. The fact that he’s willing to discuss it so brazenly when he’s still got two years left on his current contract is just unwise. I don’t care that he’s undermining NZR, they do that well enough themselves. It’s just a statement of fact; Savea feeling free to come out and openly contemplate fleeweeing undermines his current employer and potentially jeopardises his future as NZR have a reputation for vindictiveness when it comes to this kind of honesty. Would hate for Savea to screw himself over with loose lips
Well that's his business. Imho this knee injury and Akira situation has got Ardie re-evaluating his position and realizing he signed a dud contract and come 2023 he might well be on the outer having never realized his full market value or achieved his sporting goals and this is the best attempt to get out while he can.
Last edited by Kahu on Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

WoodlandsRFC wrote:What's up with Chase Tiatia? Is he injured?
Still love this pic of him.

naki

Post by naki »

Kahu wrote:
naki wrote:

Well that's his business. Imho this knee injury and Akira situation has got Ardie re-evaluating his position and realizing he signed a dud contract and come 2023 he might well be on the outer having never realized his full market value or achieved his sporting goals and this is the best attempt to get out while he can.
Or, plausibly, he doesn’t want to play under Foster
Kahu

Post by Kahu »

Understandable really. Or Occams Razor he was just talking rubbish to give exposure to the Podcast :lol:
Auckman

Post by Auckman »

I have no issues with sabbaticals. If that is what keeps the top players in NZ, so be it. No point whingeing about it. It was clear from the beginning that BB wouldn't be available for most of the season.
comets

Post by comets »

if he was atleast playing rugby in his sabbaticals like to japan then he would come back a rugby player, but it fees like he may come back as akira ioane..
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

Ali's Choice wrote:
WoodlandsRFC wrote:What's up with Chase Tiatia? Is he injured?
Still love this pic of him.

That's both awesome and looks photo shopped even though it's not.
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

comets wrote:if he was atleast playing rugby in his sabbaticals like to japan then he would come back a rugby player, but it fees like he may come back as akira ioane..
WTF?

He's having a slightly longer than usual off season. He'll come back as the proven world class first five/fullback we all know and might take a couple of games to find form. Like any top player.
comets

Post by comets »

thats hte point, he may never find it... BB has barely ecen away from rugby for long and it has been seen over the years, when players come back after a long lay off either thru injury or others, they never regain top form.... SBW was the only exception tot he rule for some odd reaosn.
Kahu

Post by Kahu »

It's a good point Comets. I think a guy like BB who plays golf on a single handicap almost as good left handed as he does right handed might struggle to rediscover his mojo
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

It's going to be interesting to see how Barrett plays at 10 behind a weak Blues pack that struggles to win lineouts and is ultra-inconsistent in just about every facet of forward play. If he struggles, I can promise the forum that I will troll him tirelessly, night and day. The beauty about such a scenario is that it will annoy both Blues and Hurricanes fans on this forum. He's 2 for 1 troll-bait right now!
Kahu

Post by Kahu »

Considering he's been playing behind a weak AB and Canes pack the past 3 years I think he'll be fine 8)
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

Ali's Choice wrote:It's going to be interesting to see how Barrett plays at 10 behind a weak Blues pack that struggles to win lineouts and is ultra-inconsistent in just about every facet of forward play. If he struggles, I can promise the forum that I will troll him tirelessly, night and day. The beauty about such a scenario is that it will annoy both Blues and Hurricanes fans on this forum. He's 2 for 1 troll-bait right now!
:lol: It won't bother this Blues fan. The Blues team has a history of being a graveyard for otherwise good players from other teams. Conversely shit Blues players play like champs when they leave and go play for other franchises.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Kahu wrote:Considering he's been playing behind a weak AB and Canes pack the past 3 years I think he'll be fine 8)
Bizarre post. Weak AB's pack? Are you day-high on meth?

And the Hurricanes packs throughout BB's tenure in Wellington were much stronger than the Blues pack in 2020.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

booji boy wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:It's going to be interesting to see how Barrett plays at 10 behind a weak Blues pack that struggles to win lineouts and is ultra-inconsistent in just about every facet of forward play. If he struggles, I can promise the forum that I will troll him tirelessly, night and day. The beauty about such a scenario is that it will annoy both Blues and Hurricanes fans on this forum. He's 2 for 1 troll-bait right now!
:lol: It won't bother this Blues fan. The Blues team has a history of being a graveyard for otherwise good players from other teams. Conversely shit Blues players play like champs when they leave and go play for other franchises.
They're the Warriors of the NZ Conference?
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

Ali's Choice wrote:
booji boy wrote:
They're the Warriors of the NZ Conference?
Pretty much. I live in the Waikato so the majority of my friends here are Chiefs supporters but there is one league fan who follows the Warriors. We commiserate each other each season and compare which team is performing worse. Despite all the changes in personnel, staff, coaches, players etc every year it's always the 'same shit different year'. Although the Warriors did have that fabulous start a few seasons back. Much better than any sustained period of success the Blues have enjoyed for a long, long time.
Kahu

Post by Kahu »

Ali's Choice wrote:
Kahu wrote:Considering he's been playing behind a weak AB and Canes pack the past 3 years I think he'll be fine 8)
Bizarre post. Weak AB's pack? Are you day-high on meth?

And the Hurricanes packs throughout BB's tenure in Wellington were much stronger than the Blues pack in 2020.
The same weak pack that was bullied around Chicago, Dublin and Tokyo. Im sure the Blues had 2 All Blacks in their pack last week. Same as the Canes really.

Coke actually.
fatcat

Post by fatcat »

What is the verdict on Marchant so far?
Waka Nathan

Post by Waka Nathan »

fatcat wrote:What is the verdict on Marchant so far?
He's too slight to provide much thrust at centre, but on the wing outside Ioane he's been excellent.
Auckman

Post by Auckman »

Waka Nathan wrote:
fatcat wrote:What is the verdict on Marchant so far?
He's too slight to provide much thrust at centre, but on the wing outside Ioane he's been excellent.
Yep, I like his play at wing. Always gains metres and always in the right place. I hope he and Telea stay as the wingers for the remainder of the season.
fatcat

Post by fatcat »

Cheers guys
JM2K6

Post by JM2K6 »

Would be nice if his teammates actually noticed his supporting runs at any point...

Is Perofeta the beneficiary of a Make A Wish Foundation award or something? It's remarkable how bad he is. It was also baffling watching the Blues play against a team with 12 men and constantly kicking the ball away.
Auckman

Post by Auckman »

JM2K6 wrote:Would be nice if his teammates actually noticed his supporting runs at any point...

Is Perofeta the beneficiary of a Make A Wish Foundation award or something? It's remarkable how bad he is. It was also baffling watching the Blues play against a team with 12 men and constantly kicking the ball away.
Yep, totally nuts. I am happy for the win but that last 20mins really annoyed the shit out of me.
Ghost-Of-Nepia

Post by Ghost-Of-Nepia »

Loosely Blues-related, but pretty tough story to read:
The Blues are among those sending their hopes and prayers to Matt Johnson as their former midfielder fights for his life after undergoing open heart surgery.

Rheumatic fever, a disease that attacks the heart's valves, almost claimed Johnson's life at 13.

In pursuit of his rugby dream the 26-year-old Manurewa-raised league player underwent two previous heart operations.

Johnson was recruited out of St Peter's College by the Melbourne Storm, only for that stint to be cut short by the club after nine months due to his heart condition.

Johnson refused to give up his dream and impressed during the 2017 provincial season for Southland to earn a contract with the Blues in 2018.

The following year he shifted to Northland but heart issues have been a constant companion, curtailing his promising career.

In a series of posts Johnson's fiancé, Sky Sport commentator, presenter and rugby player Taylah Hodson-Tomokino, detailed the recent events which led to Johnson being placed in an induced coma.

"Nine weeks ago, Matty started getting fevers and stomach pains. After going to his GP, they couldn't find anything wrong," Hodson-Tomokino explained.

"Weeks went by and his symptoms were coming & going. Two weeks ago, we went to the hospital after Matty was shivering uncontrollably and had stomach pains.

"They told him he was probably just "blocked up" and gave him laxatives. They had no reason to believe it was his heart as he passed all the usual tests: ECG's, Echo tests etc. His heart was in perfect working condition and his Aortic Valve that was replaced in 2018 was more or less perfect.

"The fevers didn't stop and last week an infection was found in his blood. A Transoesophageal Echocardiography was done, just to double check his heart.

"Unfortunately, a vegetation was seen growing on his valve as a result of the infection. The medical term is Endocarditis. Furthermore, a CT scan was done. The first came up clear and we were hopeful it could be treated with antibiotics.

"A second CT scan was done and it was revealed that the vegetation had caused a huge abscess over his Left Ventricular Outflow Tract (LVOT).

"The abscess had also formed a hole on the LVOT so surgery was his only option. Bits and pieces of the vegetation on his valve were breaking off every time his heart was beating. Fragments of it had reached his kidneys which is why he had the stomach pains and the doctors feared it would reach his brain and cause a stroke.

"If the abscess burst, it would have sent him in to septic shock. If we didn't operate, it would prove fatal, so we were left with no choice.

"At 7am on Tuesday 2nd June, Matty went in to surgery.

"The surgeons were able to drain the abscess on the LVOT, fix the hole, replace the diseased valve and perform grafts to widen his coronary arteries. At 2pm they tried to take him off the bypass machine, however, his heart wouldn't start. They then operated again and did as much as they could.

"The left chambers in his heart were working great, but the right was weak. They tried multiple times to get him off the bypass but they were unable to.

"After 19 long hours the surgeons tried multiple times to get his heart pumping but the right side is struggling too much. Matt sustained heavy bleeding which is not clotting so the surgeons have left his chest open and will go back into surgery if the bleeding doesn't stop.

"While his sternum is open they need to take immediate action, he will be placed in an induced coma until further notice. We love you all and thank you for keeping my spirits high."

While Johnson remains on life support, Hodson-Tomokino hinted at positive news today as he had stopped bleeding after going through eight donated blood bags – the entire body volume of blood two times over.

"We've passed the first hurdle the next is to get his heart pumping on its own. This is the best news as we were told that we were not likely to see any improvements in his condition and to expect the worst."

In the latest update Hodson-Tomokino said there would be no procedures on Wednesday which gives Johnson's heart time to rest and strengthen for his next attempt to come off life support.

Johnson's conditions has led to an outpouring of messages from former teammates including Patrick Tuipulotu, Rieko Ioane, Jerome Kaino, James Parsons and Dalton Papalii.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/a ... d=12336907
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

Ghost-Of-Nepia wrote:Loosely Blues-related, but pretty tough story to read:
The Blues are among those sending their hopes and prayers to Matt Johnson as their former midfielder fights for his life after undergoing open heart surgery.

Rheumatic fever, a disease that attacks the heart's valves, almost claimed Johnson's life at 13.

In pursuit of his rugby dream the 26-year-old Manurewa-raised league player underwent two previous heart operations.

Johnson was recruited out of St Peter's College by the Melbourne Storm, only for that stint to be cut short by the club after nine months due to his heart condition.

Johnson refused to give up his dream and impressed during the 2017 provincial season for Southland to earn a contract with the Blues in 2018.

The following year he shifted to Northland but heart issues have been a constant companion, curtailing his promising career.

In a series of posts Johnson's fiancé, Sky Sport commentator, presenter and rugby player Taylah Hodson-Tomokino, detailed the recent events which led to Johnson being placed in an induced coma.

"Nine weeks ago, Matty started getting fevers and stomach pains. After going to his GP, they couldn't find anything wrong," Hodson-Tomokino explained.

"Weeks went by and his symptoms were coming & going. Two weeks ago, we went to the hospital after Matty was shivering uncontrollably and had stomach pains.

"They told him he was probably just "blocked up" and gave him laxatives. They had no reason to believe it was his heart as he passed all the usual tests: ECG's, Echo tests etc. His heart was in perfect working condition and his Aortic Valve that was replaced in 2018 was more or less perfect.

"The fevers didn't stop and last week an infection was found in his blood. A Transoesophageal Echocardiography was done, just to double check his heart.

"Unfortunately, a vegetation was seen growing on his valve as a result of the infection. The medical term is Endocarditis. Furthermore, a CT scan was done. The first came up clear and we were hopeful it could be treated with antibiotics.

"A second CT scan was done and it was revealed that the vegetation had caused a huge abscess over his Left Ventricular Outflow Tract (LVOT).

"The abscess had also formed a hole on the LVOT so surgery was his only option. Bits and pieces of the vegetation on his valve were breaking off every time his heart was beating. Fragments of it had reached his kidneys which is why he had the stomach pains and the doctors feared it would reach his brain and cause a stroke.

"If the abscess burst, it would have sent him in to septic shock. If we didn't operate, it would prove fatal, so we were left with no choice.

"At 7am on Tuesday 2nd June, Matty went in to surgery.

"The surgeons were able to drain the abscess on the LVOT, fix the hole, replace the diseased valve and perform grafts to widen his coronary arteries. At 2pm they tried to take him off the bypass machine, however, his heart wouldn't start. They then operated again and did as much as they could.

"The left chambers in his heart were working great, but the right was weak. They tried multiple times to get him off the bypass but they were unable to.

"After 19 long hours the surgeons tried multiple times to get his heart pumping but the right side is struggling too much. Matt sustained heavy bleeding which is not clotting so the surgeons have left his chest open and will go back into surgery if the bleeding doesn't stop.

"While his sternum is open they need to take immediate action, he will be placed in an induced coma until further notice. We love you all and thank you for keeping my spirits high."

While Johnson remains on life support, Hodson-Tomokino hinted at positive news today as he had stopped bleeding after going through eight donated blood bags – the entire body volume of blood two times over.

"We've passed the first hurdle the next is to get his heart pumping on its own. This is the best news as we were told that we were not likely to see any improvements in his condition and to expect the worst."

In the latest update Hodson-Tomokino said there would be no procedures on Wednesday which gives Johnson's heart time to rest and strengthen for his next attempt to come off life support.

Johnson's conditions has led to an outpouring of messages from former teammates including Patrick Tuipulotu, Rieko Ioane, Jerome Kaino, James Parsons and Dalton Papalii.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/a ... d=12336907
You were in no way exaggerating about it being a tough story to read. What a shit state of affairs for a young man.
Auckman

Post by Auckman »

Hard luck to the young fella. Hopefully he pulls through. :thumbup:
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

DC to the blues? Well I never....
blackblackblack

Post by blackblackblack »

JPNZ wrote:DC to the blues? Well I never....
Just read that, chortle...
elcamino

Post by elcamino »

naki wrote:
Kahu wrote:
naki wrote:

Or, plausibly, he doesn’t want to play under Foster
This thread is about to get swamped with DC to the Blues news but for what its worth Ardie talks about the league thing getting blown out of proportion on his podcast with Nehe Milner-Skudder (Also Nehe is probably the most onto it well spoken person in NZ sports history)

https://ardiesavea.libsyn.com/nehe-milner-skudder
Auckman

Post by Auckman »

blackblackblack wrote:
JPNZ wrote:DC to the blues? Well I never....
Just read that, chortle...
me too :nod:
not_english

Post by not_english »

Is DC any good these days?
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

not_english wrote:Is DC any good these days?
He'll still be the best 10 the Blues have had since Carlos.

Seems a strange call though. The Blues were going Ok this season and our sensational new signing Beauden Barrett hasn't even laced his boots yet. Now he's about to start and they bring in another 10. :?
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

booji boy wrote:
not_english wrote:Is DC any good these days?
He'll still be the best 10 the Blues have had since Carlos.

Seems a strange call though. The Blues were going Ok this season and our sensational new signing Beauden Barrett hasn't even laced his boots yet. Now he's about to start and they bring in another 10. :?
It is a very unusual given they have Barrett already in the team, who could be the senior, experienced 10. Maybe Barrett will play fullback under an arrangement with Ian Foster with an eye to continuing the dual playmaker role for the AB's? It's a shame that the Blues don't have a young 10 who they could have developed this season, but Dan Carter is a legend of the game and any of the NZ teams would have signed him. The big un-answered question now is will Dan Carter's dad stop speaking to him? Because that was the reason given back in 2009 for him not signing with them when the Blues offered him a million dollars to move to Auckland from the Crusaders.
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

Ali's Choice wrote: The big un-answered question now is will Dan Carter's dad stop speaking to him? Because that was the reason given back in 2009 for him not signing with them when the Blues offered him a million dollars to move to Auckland from the Crusaders.
Pretty extraordinary circumstances and its only 10 weeks so not even super rugby really..

Either way even as a fervent Crusaders supporter, I'm happy to see him back even as a backup player.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

JPNZ wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote: The big un-answered question now is will Dan Carter's dad stop speaking to him? Because that was the reason given back in 2009 for him not signing with them when the Blues offered him a million dollars to move to Auckland from the Crusaders.
Pretty extraordinary circumstances and its only 10 weeks so not even super rugby really..

Either way even as a fervent Crusaders supporter, I'm happy to see him back even as a backup player.
Me too. I've heard a rumour that he's actually going to act as a Crusaders Trojan horse, to destroy the Blues season from the inside out. Expect him to miss crucial, game deciding shots at goal from close range a la Gavin Hastings in the 1991 RWC semi final.
BlueThunder

Post by BlueThunder »

Australia was on fire
Global Plague
USA in Chaos
The Blues have depth at First Five

Strange times indeed.