Tsarnaev to die by lethal injection

All things Rugby
HertzCat

Tsarnaev to die by lethal injection

Post by HertzCat »

Apologies if RR - couldn't see it when I used search.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-32757790

Personally, I am against the death penalty under all circumstances, so I am deeply disappointed by this. What Tsarnaev did was terrible, but there is simply no justification for this.
enzedder01

Re: Tsarnaev to die by lethal injection

Post by enzedder01 »

New England hasn't executed anyone since WW2. They will rescind it to life imprisonment (hopefully in a pig pen)
Gavin Duffy

Post by Gavin Duffy »

FHHD.
ArnoldVDH

Post by ArnoldVDH »

enzedder01 wrote:New England hasn't executed anyone since WW2. They will rescind it to life imprisonment (hopefully in a pig pen)
How many of those were convicted by the state as opposed to convicted by the government.?

Because it is government this time I expect him to fry.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

Murder is wrong.

So we're going to kill you.

Seems legit. :thumbup:
enzedder01

Post by enzedder01 »

Surely the appeal is heard at the New England Supreme Court, not Gitmo. :shock:
ArnoldVDH

Post by ArnoldVDH »

enzedder01 wrote:Surely the appeal is heard at the New England Supreme Court, not Gitmo. :shock:
I don't know. All death row appeals ultimately end with the supreme court in Washington as they always have the final say.

Since this is a government prosecution I am not sure if the New England supreme court could even make a decision on this.
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

Gavin Duffy wrote:FHHD.
Family history of heavy drinking?
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

HertzCat wrote:Apologies if RR - couldn't see it when I used search.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-32757790

Personally, I am against the death penalty under all circumstances, so I am deeply disappointed by this. What Tsarnaev did was terrible, but there is simply no justification for this.
I usually am as well. However, the good news is that there won't be any chance of him reoffending now.
indomite

Post by indomite »

enzedder01 wrote:New England hasn't executed anyone since WW2. They will rescind it to life imprisonment (hopefully in a pig pen)
Federal trial.
US Attorney General Loretta Lynch
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

indomite wrote:
Federal trial.

How the hell did she get roped into this one?
Hong Kong

Post by Hong Kong »

Clogs wrote:
indomite wrote:
Federal trial.

How the hell did she get roped into this one?
That's not the question you should be asking...
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

Hang on, death sentence vacated by a Federal appeals court.
DOB

Post by DOB »

Mr Mike wrote:Hang on, death sentence vacated by a Federal appeals court.
Fine. Stick him in a cell. Leave him there.
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

DOB wrote:
Mr Mike wrote:Hang on, death sentence vacated by a Federal appeals court.
Fine. Stick him in a cell. Leave him there.
Obama judges, soft on terrorism.

Plus one Reagan judge but let’s not complicate the picture.
GWO2

Post by GWO2 »

Really surprised at how many posters are against this sentence. Still I suppose it is easy to be so liberal if it was NOT one of your loved ones or friends or acquaintances that was blown to bits or maimed. My view is that if such a sentence puts off just one bomber and saves lives or the quality of lives of innocent people (especially My children and grand children and THEIR families) it is well worth it. (In fact I would put a slice of bacon in his mouth as he was executed if he harmed one of mine) Just saying. :|
Gavin Duffy

Post by Gavin Duffy »

GWO2 wrote:Really surprised at how many posters are against this sentence. Still I suppose it is easy to be so liberal if it was NOT one of your loved ones or friends or acquaintances that was blown to bits or maimed. My view is that if such a sentence puts off just one bomber and saves lives or the quality of lives of innocent people (especially My children and grand children and THEIR families) it is well worth it. (In fact I would put a slice of bacon in his mouth as he was executed if he harmed one of mine) Just saying. :|
On the grog?
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

GWO2 wrote:Really surprised at how many posters are against this sentence. Still I suppose it is easy to be so liberal if it was NOT one of your loved ones or friends or acquaintances that was blown to bits or maimed. My view is that if such a sentence puts off just one bomber and saves lives or the quality of lives of innocent people (especially My children and grand children and THEIR families) it is well worth it. (In fact I would put a slice of bacon in his mouth as he was executed if he harmed one of mine) Just saying. :|

Me? The likes of terrorists, peados, murderers etc should all die. However I also believe in real life that humans should not be able to sentence people to death, however much they deserve it. We have loads of examples of the justice system getting it wrong and basically rich people will avoid death sentences by rich lawyers playing the system, making it fundamentally unfair.

However I do believe for terrorists, peados, murderers etc that life should mean life.
DOB

Post by DOB »

That's just the thing though. It doesn't. The guys who plant these bombs are willing to die, some of them actually quite happy to be martyrs. If you execute them, they become a t-shirt for the cause. Stick them in a cell to rot, and it's not quite so romantic a story for the other terrorists to sell.
GWO2

Post by GWO2 »

Gavin Duffy wrote:
On the grog?
A few but not enough to turn me into a snowflake :lol:
message #2527204

Post by message #2527204 »

Even if I agreed with capital punishment, this guy was a 14 year old lad being told what to do by an elder brother? They shouldn't even consider the death penalty.
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

I should have added that it got referred back for a new sentencing phase, so in the middle of the election season I doubt either party will want to be seen to do anything else than pursue the dead penalty.
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

message #2527204 wrote:Even if I agreed with capital punishment, this guy was a 14 year old lad being told what to do by an elder brother? They shouldn't even consider the death penalty.
Wasn’t he 18?
the curse

Post by the curse »

DOB wrote:
That's just the thing though. It doesn't. The guys who plant these bombs are willing to die, some of them actually quite happy to be martyrs. If you execute them, they become a t-shirt for the cause. Stick them in a cell to rot, and it's not quite so romantic a story for the other terrorists to sell.
Ive been advocating for years that they shouldnt publish their names, their pics, whatever...if no one knows their names and/or their picture, will they still be martyrs?

and he deserves the death penalty, regardless of whether his brother made him do it...he knew what he was doing and the harm it would cause...
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

Premeditated murder is not acceptable, even when the state does it.
message #2527204

Mr Mike wrote:
message #2527204 wrote:Even if I agreed with capital punishment, this guy was a 14 year old lad being told what to do by an elder brother? They shouldn't even consider the death penalty.
Wasn’t he 18?
Haven't followed it, I just read the beeb article
...when Tsarnaev, now 21, and his brother placed bombs at the finishing line of the Boston Marathon in 2013.
New guy

Post by New guy »

eldanielfire wrote:

Me? The likes of terrorists, peados, murderers etc should all die. However I also believe in real life that humans should not be able to sentence people to death, however much they deserve it. We have loads of examples of the justice system getting it wrong and basically rich people will avoid death sentences by rich lawyers playing the system, making it fundamentally unfair.

However I do believe for terrorists, peados, murderers etc that life should mean life.
This is how I feel. The very worst criminals deserve death, 100%. However I just cant support giving the incompetents in charge the power to kill us.

I guess I'm opposed from a practical perspective rather than a moral one.
New guy

Post by New guy »

14 is old enough to know that bombing hundreds of people is bad. fudge him.
New guy

Post by New guy »

You could flip this on its head though and say how would you feel if one of your family was in the wrong place at the wrong time and found themselves wrongly facing murder charges. If the punishment was life in prison it would be horrendous but hopefully overturned in time.

I've just googled it and in the last 50 years there were 173 people in the states wrongly put on death row. Some of the poor bastatds were already dead.
Jensrsa

Post by Jensrsa »

New guy wrote:
He was 19 at the time of the bombing.
message #2527204

New guy wrote:
Maybe, but still a child.

It wouldn't be the first time the beeb got things wrong, but if he's 21 now and the bombing was in 2013, then I don't see how he could have been 19
Jensrsa

Post by Jensrsa »

message #2527204 wrote:
New guy wrote:

It wouldn't be the first time the beeb got things wrong, but if he's 21 now and the bombing was in 2013, then I don't see how he could have been 19
Born Dzhokhar Anzorovich Tsarnaev
July 22, 1993 (age 27)
Tokmok, Chuy Oblusu, Kyrgyzstan
The OP was in 2015
Last edited by Jensrsa on Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
C69

Post by C69 »

Now 21?
message #2527204

Jensrsa wrote:
message #2527204 wrote:
New guy wrote:

July 22, 1993 (age 27)
The OP was in 2015
So the beeb has it wrong. Beeb also reporting that the death penalty has been overturned.
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

He's 21, 60 years living off the tax payer at $150,000 a year.

Fúck him, a bullet's 1.50
Lemoentjie

Post by Lemoentjie »

jdogscoop wrote:Murder is wrong.

So we're going to kill you.

Seems legit. :thumbup:
You're right, there's no difference at all between the two situations. None whatsoever.
AND-y

Post by AND-y »

Mullet 2 wrote:He's 21, 60 years living off the tax payer at $150,000 a year.

You gonna fire it?
Frodder

Post by Frodder »

Death penalty is just plain wrong. Proud that the UK has banned it
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

AND-y wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:He's 21, 60 years living off the tax payer at $150,000 a year.

You gonna fire it?
Grand
MrJonno

Post by MrJonno »

message #2527204 wrote:
Jensrsa wrote:
message #2527204 wrote:
New guy wrote:

July 22, 1993 (age 27)
The OP was in 2015
So the beeb has it wrong. Beeb also reporting that the death penalty has been overturned.
How did the beeb get it wrong? The article, written in May 2015, stated he was 21 so two years earlier he would have been 19. Five years later in May 2020 he would have been 26 but now his birthday has passed he is 27.