College Football 2019

All things Rugby
Biffer29

Re: College Football 2019

Post by Biffer29 »

iarmhiman wrote:Just watched the highlights there.

That lad Joe Burrow ....going to be a great. Bengals to draft him????

Lawrence has another year to go in College so Clemson will be back next year. What an era we're about to enter. We saw Watson and Mahomes the other day and now these lads to arrive in NFL shortly.
I don't know why, but for some reason I'm not convinced about Burrow in the NFL. Can't put my finger on why but I have this horrible feeling he's going to be a bust. I think the Oregon qb is a better bet. If I was Cleveland GM I'd look to trade.
Bowens

Post by Bowens »

Marshall Banana wrote:
Bowens wrote:Greatest season ever by a college QB. Heisman, passing TD record, wins over 7 top 10 teams, undefeated natty, going to be #1 pick. :thumbup:
I know Bama wasn't shit this year, relatively speaking, but his poise in that game sold me on him and LSU as the team to beat.

I had a ton of fun watching/betting on college ball this season. I'm gonna miss it.
Yeah same. Got some good non-conference games to look forward to next year plus all the usual stuff. Notre Dame @ Wisconsin (Lambeau), OSU @ Oregon, Texas @ LSU, Clemson @ Notre Dame.
Snooze

Post by Snooze »

Bowens wrote:
Marshall Banana wrote:
Bowens wrote:Greatest season ever by a college QB. Heisman, passing TD record, wins over 7 top 10 teams, undefeated natty, going to be #1 pick. :thumbup:
I know Bama wasn't shit this year, relatively speaking, but his poise in that game sold me on him and LSU as the team to beat.

I had a ton of fun watching/betting on college ball this season. I'm gonna miss it.
Yeah same. Got some good non-conference games to look forward to next year plus all the usual stuff. Notre Dame @ Wisconsin (Lambeau), OSU @ Oregon, Texas @ LSU, Clemson @ Notre Dame.
Nearly tempted to do a road trip for that one.

LSU were too good last night. Thought it was going to be closer 5 minutes into second half, but LSU offense too good.
Yer Man

Post by Yer Man »

Bowens wrote:
Marshall Banana wrote:

Enjoy them while they last.

There's talk about expanding the playoffs to eight teams - and the Power 5 conferences (who own the playoffs) would demand an automatic spot for their Conference winners.
It then becomes a matter of winning your conference, other games cease to matter anything like as much.

Discussed here from about 3:00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7O1VuKI54C0

P.S. The bit about the 2019 Ohio State team being on the best ever list... got old real fast!
Flyin Ryan

Post by Flyin Ryan »

1. If you go to 8 teams, the big 5 conference winners absolutely should be automatics.
2. When are they going to play these games? I feel like the title game last night was already too removed from bowl season and therefore the momentum from it was gone. Would they have the quarterfinals pre-Christmas?
3. I feel like going to a 7-game playoff schedule will kill the "other" bowls. Not necessarily a bad thing as being in a bowl game has been devalued and I think it's starting to happen anyway, although ESPN is going to lose a lot of their late December programming.
4. In theory it'd be nice if they just had 4 conferences and then only the conference champions are invited. That way we could ditch polls entirely. The problem is which of the 5 is disappearing? It's not going to be the SEC or Big 10. The Pac-12 you almost have to have due to geographic isolation unless you want to kill top-level college football on the West Coast. That leaves the Big 12 and ACC, which what would happen in each of those is a few schools leave one of those to join one of the Big 10 or SEC, and the rest get demoted by fact a la the Big East.
Flyin Ryan

Post by Flyin Ryan »

Snooze wrote:
Bowens wrote:
Marshall Banana wrote:

Nearly tempted to do a road trip for that one.

LSU were too good last night. Thought it was going to be closer 5 minutes into second half, but LSU offense too good.
Turned the game off end of the 3rd quarter. It was 11:30 in the eastern time zone.
Bowens

Post by Bowens »

Yer Man wrote:
Bowens wrote:
Marshall Banana wrote:

There's talk about expanding the playoffs to eight teams - and the Power 5 conferences (who own the playoffs) would demand an automatic spot for their Conference winners.
It then becomes a matter of winning your conference, other games cease to matter anything like as much.

P.S. The bit about the 2019 Ohio State team being on the best ever list... got old real fast!
Fox has a contract with the Big Ten, they’re always going to talk us up. All of the OSU fans I talked to thought LSU was the team to beat this year and that’s how it turned out. Obviously we were hoping to get to the title game but it would have been a tough matchup as Clemson found out.

Klatt constantly has bad takes anyway.

https://www.foxsports.com/west/story/sa ... aft-022818
goeagles

Post by goeagles »

Yer Man wrote:
Bowens wrote:
Marshall Banana wrote:

Who gets the other 3 spots? Teams with a strong resume, not teams who played a cupcake schedule. Plus, if winning your conference is all that matters, you can play other strong teams early in the season before conference play to get ready without fear of a loss hurting you much. And of course a big payday for a marquee matchup helps, too.

Semi-unrelated but Colorado's 1990 national championship team's schedule is still insane to me. Their out of conference slate was Washington (Pac 10 champ), Illinois (co-Big 10 champ), Tennessee (technical SEC champ due to Florida being on probation, but 2nd in reality), Texas (SWC champ) and Stanford (.500 Pac 10 team) in addition to the normal Big 8 slate that included Nebraska and Oklahoma. I'd be surprised if there has been a tougher schedule in college football history, much less one that a national champion played.
goeagles

Post by goeagles »

Mel Tucker absolutely ratfucked us. Steve Sarkisian just turned down the CU job to stay as OC at Bama. Yikes.
Bowens

Post by Bowens »

Whatever you do don’t hire Bielema. Has disaster written all over it.
goeagles

Post by goeagles »

Bowens wrote:Whatever you do don’t hire Bielema. Has disaster written all over it.
Agreed. Sounds like it’s going to be Karl Dorrell, which is pretty uninspiring.
Flyin Ryan

Post by Flyin Ryan »

Chris Fowler said there's serious talk of the upcoming season being delayed to being February to May '21.
goeagles

Post by goeagles »

Flyin Ryan wrote:Chris Fowler said there's serious talk of the upcoming season being delayed to being February to May '21.
Thinking through it, that seems the most likely outcome. I guess the question then is do you keep it as a spring sport going forward or do you move it back to fall the following year? Spring football sounds bizarre but there are some advantages to playing in the spring.
Biffer29

Post by Biffer29 »

goeagles wrote:
Flyin Ryan wrote:Chris Fowler said there's serious talk of the upcoming season being delayed to being February to May '21.
Thinking through it, that seems the most likely outcome. I guess the question then is do you keep it as a spring sport going forward or do you move it back to fall the following year? Spring football sounds bizarre but there are some advantages to playing in the spring.
Also, what happens with the bowls? All very well just shifting them, but a lot of the venues will have temperature of 35C+ in the summer.
Flyin Ryan

Post by Flyin Ryan »

Biffer29 wrote:
goeagles wrote:
Also, what happens with the bowls? All very well just shifting them, but a lot of the venues will have temperature of 35C+ in the summer.
Forget the heat, anything north of Tennessee we'll have the probability of snow games til late March.

As far as the bowl games, outside of the 6 playoff bowl series games I doubt any of them would be played. "The other bowl games" now only exist for local tourism and to provide ESPN programming.
Bowens

Post by Bowens »

Two college football seasons within three months of each other - I’m down for that.
Biffer29

Post by Biffer29 »

Flyin Ryan wrote:
Biffer29 wrote:
goeagles wrote:
Forget the heat, anything north of Tennessee we'll have the probability of snow games til late March.

As far as the bowl games, outside of the 6 playoff bowl series games I doubt any of them would be played. "The other bowl games" now only exist for local tourism and to provide ESPN programming.
Snow games!!!!!!!

I fûcking love snow games!!!!!!!

I usually watch the div 1AA playoffs for that very reason, as there’s often teams from Montana involved so the probability is high.

I’m all in for this now, I hadn’t thought of that!
goeagles

Post by goeagles »

There are parts of the country that could have snow games in May. In Colorado we've had snow in May most of the past few years. March and April could be beautiful or could be dumping snow like this soccer international we hosted in late March one year (check it out in the 2nd half :lol: ): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9xuaQDkmL8
Flyin Ryan

Post by Flyin Ryan »

Actually spring football would provide a great demonstration of why spring rugby is so shit for most of the country.
Biffer29

Post by Biffer29 »

goeagles wrote:There are parts of the country that could have snow games in May. In Colorado we've had snow in May most of the past few years. March and April could be beautiful or could be dumping snow like this soccer international we hosted in late March one year (check it out in the 2nd half :lol: ): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9xuaQDkmL8
Yeah, I go to Colorado Springs once a year for work, usually early April, and there’s been several inches of snow twice in the four years I’ve been going, and in one of the other years a foot and a half the day after we left! Boulder I assume is much the same so Air Force and CU could both definitely have snow. That’s before we talk about the Minnesotas, Nebraskas, in fact most of the Big Ten, and pretty much all of the Mountain West except San Diego State!
goeagles

Post by goeagles »

Flyin Ryan wrote:Actually spring football would provide a great demonstration of why spring rugby is so shit for most of the country.
:lol:
Biffer29 wrote:
goeagles wrote:There are parts of the country that could have snow games in May. In Colorado we've had snow in May most of the past few years. March and April could be beautiful or could be dumping snow like this soccer international we hosted in late March one year (check it out in the 2nd half :lol: ): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9xuaQDkmL8
Yeah, I go to Colorado Springs once a year for work, usually early April, and there’s been several inches of snow twice in the four years I’ve been going, and in one of the other years a foot and a half the day after we left! Boulder I assume is much the same so Air Force and CU could both definitely have snow. That’s before we talk about the Minnesotas, Nebraskas, in fact most of the Big Ten, and pretty much all of the Mountain West except San Diego State!
Yeah, climate is basically the exact same in Boulder. AFA is a few hundred feet higher. Have you explored much around CS? Manitou Springs is pretty cool and if you're up for a fitness challenge the Manitou Incline is a great one.

Have you been to a game at either AFA or CU? They're both somewhat unique in their own ways and worth a visit for a game if not.
Biffer29

Post by Biffer29 »

goeagles wrote:
Flyin Ryan wrote:Actually spring football would provide a great demonstration of why spring rugby is so shit for most of the country.
:lol:
Biffer29 wrote:
Yeah, climate is basically the exact same in Boulder. AFA is a few hundred feet higher. Have you explored much around CS? Manitou Springs is pretty cool and if you're up for a fitness challenge the Manitou Incline is a great one.

Have you been to a game at either AFA or CU? They're both somewhat unique in their own ways and worth a visit for a game if not.
Funnily enough we usually stay in Manitou and drive into CS for the conference we go to. Its a nice wee town. Not had much of a chance to explore as we're usually pretty busy, but been through the garden of the gods and up to the old caves and a few other things. Never been there during football season unfortunately.
Flyin Ryan

Post by Flyin Ryan »

Snowed in Fort Wayne today and we're supposed to get a few inches Friday.
Flyin Ryan

Post by Flyin Ryan »

https://sports.yahoo.com/why-the-colleg ... 53247.html

A few coaches saying running the fall without mass cancellations and forfeits is close to zero based on how badly non-contact practice is going now, and the spring season is brought up again
Flyin Ryan

Post by Flyin Ryan »

No fall sports in NCAA Division II or III. The Mid-American Conference closed down all fall sports Saturday. Big Ten and Pac-12 are heavily rumored to be making the same decision, probably will be made official today or tomorrow.

The Rivals message board must be something right now.
Flyin Ryan

Post by Flyin Ryan »

goeagles

Post by goeagles »

Spring football has a chance to be a lot of fun. Hope too many top end players don't pull out, though.
Flyin Ryan

Post by Flyin Ryan »

goeagles wrote:Spring football has a chance to be a lot of fun. Hope too many top end players don't pull out, though.
I think every decent prospect will. A person on my Facebook said it'd be like watching JV. I responded if I watched college football for NFL prospects, I wouldn't be a fan of Purdue or N.C. State.

Think we're about to see a ton of non-revenue sports cut. The rugby people that were pushing for varsity status are done for the foreseeable future. Everyone has been in an arms race on athletics thinking perpetual money forever, and now a ton of schools are swimming naked as the tide went out.
goeagles

Post by goeagles »

Flyin Ryan wrote:
goeagles wrote:Spring football has a chance to be a lot of fun. Hope too many top end players don't pull out, though.
I think every decent prospect will. A person on my Facebook said it'd be like watching JV. I responded if I watched college football for NFL prospects, I wouldn't be a fan of Purdue or N.C. State.

Think we're about to see a ton of non-revenue sports cut. The rugby people that were pushing for varsity status are done for the foreseeable future. Everyone has been in an arms race on athletics thinking perpetual money forever, and now a ton of schools are swimming naked as the tide went out.
What should happen with the non-revenue sports, and what should have happened a long time ago with them, is that they should be split off to a different department, basically elevated club sports. Give them access to the athletic facilities, preferred admissions and the other perks that come with being a varsity sport, without the costs associated with scholarships, large recruiting and coaching budgets, etc. And then if those teams want that stuff, they can fundraise. The only issue there may be Title IX.
Flyin Ryan

Post by Flyin Ryan »

goeagles wrote:
Flyin Ryan wrote:

What should happen with the non-revenue sports, and what should have happened a long time ago with them, is that they should be split off to a different department, basically elevated club sports. Give them access to the athletic facilities, preferred admissions and the other perks that come with being a varsity sport, without the costs associated with scholarships, large recruiting and coaching budgets, etc. And then if those teams want that stuff, they can fundraise. The only issue there may be Title IX.
The club sport model should exist as the default. Problem is the NCAA and college sports leadership are so anti-club.

How is there an issue with Title IX? All Title IX is about is equivalence of educational opportunity. So if all scholarships disappeared, Title IX would be a non-issue.

Ryan Day at Ohio State and Jim Harbaugh at Michigan are fighting back at the notion of the Big 10 canceling. It's not been officially announced yet. Dan Patrick had 3 sources tell him it was a 12-2 vote with Iowa and Nebraska voting against. Big 10 has since come out with the statement of they've not held a vote. The Pac-12 are on board with the Big 10. The SEC want to play and are maybe trying to get other willing schools from other conferences to join (that would be the sound of a nuclear weapon being deployed), and the ACC and Big 12 are on the fence.
goeagles

Post by goeagles »

I believe the Title IX issue could be scholarships for men's football and men's basketball and nothing else. Could be wrong as I'm no Title IX expert.
Flyin Ryan

Post by Flyin Ryan »

Mountain West Conference and Old Dominion have canceled fall sports activities. For FBS universities, that brings the count to 26.
goeagles

Post by goeagles »

Flyin Ryan wrote:Mountain West Conference and Old Dominion have canceled fall sports activities. For FBS universities, that brings the count to 26.
Makes a lot of sense for the MWC and other G5 conferences to postpone to spring first. Conference only play in the fall really screws them over because they don't get the pay days for taking trips to P5 schools. By moving to the spring, they either get a shot at that again or they get the spring to themselves and extra interest.
Flyin Ryan

Post by Flyin Ryan »

Big 10 announcing officially they're postponing all fall sports. Will attempt a spring season.
Blackrock Bullet

Post by Blackrock Bullet »

Gators running Bama close.