Chat Forum
It is currently Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:06 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:30 am 

rugga. wrote:
Top 20 players at the RWC as voted by UK experts!

20 Liam Williams
19 Finn Russell
18 James Ryan
17 Michael Hooper
16 Sam Whitelock
15 Rieko Ioane
14 Aaron Smith
13 David Pocock
12 Ben Smith
11 Faf de Klerk
10 Tadhg Furlong
9 Maro Itoje
8 Johnny Sexton
7 Jonathan Davies
6 Billy Vunipola
5 Alun Wyn Jones
4 Mako Vunipola
3 Owen Farrell
2 Brodie Retallick
1 Beauden Barrett

http://nzh.tw/12267634

Eight of the top 10 are UK/Ireland players :yawn:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:31 am 

BTW, for what it's worth the Boks go to #1 if they beat the ABs on Saturday

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:40 am 

Big crowds at the training sessions

https://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/RugbyWorldCup2019/watch-japanese-crowds-pack-out-welsh-training-session-20190916

https://www.iol.co.za/sport/rugby/springboks/konnichiwa-japan-welcomes-springboks-with-open-arms-33059771

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:04 am 

The Six Nations and Africa lot is going to have breakfast/early brunch specials going during the WC.

4 days to go!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:23 pm 

OomPB wrote:
The Six Nations and Africa lot is going to have breakfast/early brunch specials going during the WC.

4 days to go!

Most kickoff times down here are either around 01:30 or 04:30 in th morning... only a few are around 07:00. :?

To anyone interested, there's a Prediction game running at Suprbru... our Pool is the standard "Plan et rugby" one. 68 players so far...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:36 pm 

Tuivasa wrote:
Saw these rules

"If two or more teams are tied on match points, the following tiebreakers apply: The winner of the match between the two teams. Difference between points scored for and points scored against in all pool matches."

I don't like that head to head is ahead of points difference. Points difference is a much better tie breaker between two teams than head to head. Head to head proves nothing, you've beaten that team but lost to a team that team beat.

Imagine you guys beat South Africa in a tight, hard won battle. You have 4 points and they have 1.

Then South Africa batter Italy, Nambia and Canada to finish on 16 points.

You guys batter Italy and Canada but your game against Namibia is called off because of a cyclone. You now have 16 points as well and South Africa finish ahead of you because they got an extra game to run up a score against a minnow.

The head to head is fairer.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:22 pm 

Tuivasa wrote:
Saw these rules

"If two or more teams are tied on match points, the following tiebreakers apply: The winner of the match between the two teams. Difference between points scored for and points scored against in all pool matches."

I don't like that head to head is ahead of points difference. Points difference is a much better tie breaker between two teams than head to head. Head to head proves nothing, youve beaten that team but lost to a team that team beat.

I beg to differ. Head to head makes a lot of sense. This is when the two teams face each other and are evaluated against another. The points difference in the remaining games is so much a factor of squad rotation and other not so relevant parameters that it doesn't make sense to use this as first level of evaluation. I would actually have number of tries scored before points difference.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:00 pm 

Jensrsa wrote:

Whoever wins goes to #1. Certainly if the ABs win they will be there irrespective of the other countries first match.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:27 am 

Tuivasa wrote:
Saw these rules

I don't like that head to head is ahead of points difference. Points difference is a much better tie breaker between two teams than head to head. Head to head proves nothing, youve beaten that team but lost to a team that team beat.

Why dont you vokof rugby league nOOp.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:53 am 

Jensrsa wrote:

:shock:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:00 am 

Yourmother wrote:
Jensrsa wrote:

Whoever wins goes to #1. Certainly if the ABs win they will be there irrespective of the other countries first match.

Same with the Boks. Ireland don't gain enough points for a win to prevent it

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:10 am 

2 days to go!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:01 am 

Akkerman wrote:
the all important drinking game is here :thumbup:

By those rules, I believe you now need to down a can of paint thinner, Akkerman.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:08 am 

Which team have the most overseas born players?
SCOTLAND - 14

John Barclay (Hong Kong), Simon Berghan (New Zealand), Allan Dell (South Africa), WP Nel (South Africa), Blade Thomson (New Zealand), Ben Toolis (Australia), Hamish Watson (England), Ryan Wilson (England), Chris Harris (England), Sam Johnson (Australia), Sean Maitland (New Zealand), Ali Price (England), Tommy Seymour (USA), Duncan Taylor (England)

AUSTRALIA - 12

Tolu Latu (Tonga), Isi Naisarani (Fiji), Lukhan Salakaia-Loto (New Zealand), Taniela Tupou (Tonga), Jordan Uelese (New Zealand), Will Genia (Papa New Guinea), Dane Haylett-Petty (South Africa), Samu Kerevi (Fiji), Marika Koroibete (Fiji), Tevita Kuridrani (Fiji), Christian Lealiifano (New Zealand), David Pocock (Zimbabwe)

WALES - 8

Tomas Francis (England), Jake Ball (England), Ross Moriarty (England), Aaron Shingler (England), Jonathan Davies (England), Hadleigh Parkes (New Zealand), Hallam Amos (England), George North (England)

ITALY - 8

Dean Budd (New Zealand), David Sisi (Germany), Sebastian Negri (Zimbabwe), Sergio Parisse (Argentina), Jake Polledri (England), Abraham Steyn (South Africa), Callum Braley (England), Jayden Hayward (New Zealand)

ENGLAND - 6

Sam Underhill (USA), Billy Vunipola (Australia), Joe Cokanasiga (Fiji), Willi Heinz (New Zealand), Manu Tuilagi (Samoa), Mako Vunipola (New Zealand)

FRANCE - 6

Dany Priso (Cameroon), Peato Mauvaka (New Caledonia), Sebastien Vahaamahina (New Caledonia), Bernard le Roux (South Africa), Sofiane Guitoune (Algeria), Alivereti Raka (Fiji)

IRELAND - 5

Jean Kleyn (South Africa), CJ Stander (South Africa), Luke McGrath (Canada), Joey Carbery (New Zealand), Bundee Aki (New Zealand)

ALL BLACKS - 4

Sevu Reece (Fiji), Nepo Laulala (Samoa), Ofa Tu'ungafasi (Tonga), Shannon Frizell (Tonga)

SOUTH AFRICA - 1

Tendai Mtawarira (Zimbabwe)

ARGENTINA - 0

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:55 pm 

OomPB wrote:
SCOTLAND - 14

John Barclay (Hong Kong), Simon Berghan (New Zealand), Allan Dell (South Africa), WP Nel (South Africa), Blade Thomson (New Zealand), Ben Toolis (Australia), Hamish Watson (England), Ryan Wilson (England), Chris Harris (England), Sam Johnson (Australia), Sean Maitland (New Zealand), Ali Price (England), Tommy Seymour (USA), Duncan Taylor (England)

AUSTRALIA - 12

Tolu Latu (Tonga), Isi Naisarani (Fiji), Lukhan Salakaia-Loto (New Zealand), Taniela Tupou (Tonga), Jordan Uelese (New Zealand), Will Genia (Papa New Guinea), Dane Haylett-Petty (South Africa), Samu Kerevi (Fiji), Marika Koroibete (Fiji), Tevita Kuridrani (Fiji), Christian Lealiifano (New Zealand), David Pocock (Zimbabwe)

WALES - 8

Tomas Francis (England), Jake Ball (England), Ross Moriarty (England), Aaron Shingler (England), Jonathan Davies (England), Hadleigh Parkes (New Zealand), Hallam Amos (England), George North (England)

ITALY - 8

Dean Budd (New Zealand), David Sisi (Germany), Sebastian Negri (Zimbabwe), Sergio Parisse (Argentina), Jake Polledri (England), Abraham Steyn (South Africa), Callum Braley (England), Jayden Hayward (New Zealand)

ENGLAND - 6

Sam Underhill (USA), Billy Vunipola (Australia), Joe Cokanasiga (Fiji), Willi Heinz (New Zealand), Manu Tuilagi (Samoa), Mako Vunipola (New Zealand)

FRANCE - 6

Dany Priso (Cameroon), Peato Mauvaka (New Caledonia), Sebastien Vahaamahina (New Caledonia), Bernard le Roux (South Africa), Sofiane Guitoune (Algeria), Alivereti Raka (Fiji)

IRELAND - 5

Jean Kleyn (South Africa), CJ Stander (South Africa), Luke McGrath (Canada), Joey Carbery (New Zealand), Bundee Aki (New Zealand)

ALL BLACKS - 4

Sevu Reece (Fiji), Nepo Laulala (Samoa), Ofa Tu'ungafasi (Tonga), Shannon Frizell (Tonga)

SOUTH AFRICA - 1

ARGENTINA - 0

Hmmm... The two guys in blue are born in France. As far as I know, New Caledonia is French territory.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:41 pm 

TheFrog wrote:
Hmmm... The two guys in blue are born in France. As far as I know, New Caledonia is French territory.

What happen to Paul Willemse?

I expect in 2027 there will be at least 10 Saffers in the French squad. Our top 2019 schoolboys starting next year in France youth leagues.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:46 pm 

OomPB wrote:
TheFrog wrote:

I expect in 2027 there will be at least 10 Saffers in the French squad. Our top 2019 schoolboys starting next year in France youth leagues.

Injured early during the conditioning camp... He was to be sidelined for a month so the coaches decided it was better to replace him with another fat lock (Taofifenua, another French born Pacific Islander) who ended up not being selected either... Now, in terms of consistency, they dropped Willlemse because they feared he would struggle if he missed 1 month of preparation, but they picked Vakatawa who will start against Argentina and has hardly spent any time with the squad doing conditioning.... I suspect Paul Willemse injury excuse was diplomatic. Galthie doesn't want fat players.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:24 pm 

TheFrog wrote:
OomPB wrote:
TheFrog wrote:

Injured early during the conditioning camp... He was to be sidelined for a month so the coaches decided it was better to replace him with another fat lock (Taofifenua, another French born Pacific Islander) who ended up not being selected either... Now, in terms of consistency, they dropped Willlemse because they feared he would struggle if he missed 1 month of preparation, but they picked Vakatawa who will start against Argentina and has hardly spent any time with the squad doing conditioning.... I suspect Paul Willemse injury excuse was diplomatic. Galthie doesn't want fat players.

:lol: He is a bit of a fatty. I spend some time in Nigeria and everytime I visit thought they will be great rugby players. Good to see a few West Africans in your squad. Obvious excellent soccer players but at least France coach them rugby culture.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:16 pm 

OomPB wrote:
TheFrog wrote:
OomPB wrote:
TheFrog wrote:

:lol: He is a bit of a fatty. I spend some time in Nigeria and everytime I visit thought they will be great rugby players. Good to see a few West Africans in your squad. Obvious excellent soccer players but at least France coach them rugby culture.

More and more kids of african ascent are playing rugby, thanks to efforts made to reach out to them in the less favored suburbs of the big cities, Paris in particular. That french squad alone includes Demba Bamba, Dany Priso, Yacouba Camara, Romain Ntamack and Wesley Fofana. Also, the number of north african players is increasing, and they are represented by Rabah Slimani and Sofiane Guitoune.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:54 am 

Quote:
In an historic first for the Rugby World Cup, 18 Olympians from nine nations – including two from South Africa - are set to take to the field at Japan 2019, the first Rugby World Cup to be held in Asia.

Three years ago in Brazil, rugby sevens made an explosive debut at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games, with the fast-paced format thrilling fans as Fiji steamrolled their way to gold, beating Great Britain 43-7 in the final. It was Fiji's first Olympic medal in any sport.

The 18 Olympians have all successfully made the switch from playing sevens at Rio 2016 to be selected for Rugby World Cup 2019, the showpiece event in the 15s game, which begins on Friday when hosts Japan take on Russia at Tokyo Stadium.

https://www.iol.co.za/sport/rugby/springboks/olympians-kwagga-cheslin-set-to-make-history-in-japan-33231837

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:06 pm 

Still the crappiest official thread. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:46 pm 

1 day to go!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:50 pm 

mr bungle wrote:
Still the crappiest official thread. :thumbup:

Agreed, we need more pics of naked ladies. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:20 pm 

OomPB wrote:
1 day to go!

Really not feeling it. It's the WC ffs and it's barely registering on my consciousness. Haven't even looked at TV schedule yet.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:56 pm 

I found a thread I made 4 years ago on a non-rugby board for this tournament. It's kind of amusing to read in hindsight.

Quote:
The New Zealand All Blacks are your favorites to repeat, although I get the sense they're not as dominating a favorite as they were 4 years ago. Australia beat them a couple months ago in Sydney, and England also have a decent side, but they're drawn in the group stage together along with the injury-laden Welsh and the always tough Fijians. South Africa have had tough times this year and some politicians in the country are making political points off them at the moment. Argentina have improved a lot with regular top competition but would be happy to make the semifinals. Ireland has made some shouts recently to be a credible contender but I don't see it. France are an abomination as always but can appear out of nowhere with a fantastic game.

Quote:
-England were knocked out with a game to go in the highest-profile case ever of a big country not making it out in the group stage. Following a close loss where England bottled it against Wales 28-25, Australia comprehensively beat them 33-13 and knocked them out. A joyless romp over Uruguay then followed, and England will likely be looking for a new coach soon.
-Japan's fairy tale run ended with a great win vs. Samoa 26-5, and against the USA 28-18. Due to three teams going 3-1, they were the ones going out, but provided the moment of the tournament vs. South Africa and they have a great platform to build on when they host the next Rugby World Cup in 2019.
-The USA went 0-4. Played solid in defeat to Samoa 25-16, led Scotland at halftime until they blew us out in the 2nd half, ran out the B-side and South Africa dismantled us 64-0, and then the game we were aiming to win, Japan, we lost, because Japan turned out to be a better side than we were expecting. Disappointing World Cup cycle for the USA in my opinion, 1of 2 teams next to almost entirely amateur Uruguay that failed to score a point. Hopefully we get a new coach, don't have that high an opinion of the current guy.

Quarters:

New Zealand vs. France (NZ's bogey team, but this would be a massive upset because this French team just isn't that good)
South Africa vs. Wales (South Africa after the Japan shock loss have won 3 in a row pretty well, and Wales are dismantled by injuries, you'd have to back SA but Wales have been playing the underdog pretty well)
Ireland vs. Argentina (game of the round, either team can win and both have played very well for themselves)
Australia vs. Scotland (Scots have played well but it ends here, at this point I think it's either Australia or New Zealand winning the World Cup)

Quote:
European rugby is shit. So why USA Rugby consistently seek to emulate English rugby is beyond me.

Quarterfinal results:

South Africa 23, Wales 19
New Zealand 62, France 13 (largest winning margin and most points ever scored in the knockout rounds)
Argentina 43, Ireland 20
Australia 35, Scotland 34

Semifinals:

Saturday, New Zealand vs. South Africa, will be on NBC in the afternoon
Sunday, Argentina vs. Australia

South Africa in spite of winning did not look that good. Them making the Final would surprise me. I'm far more enthused about Argentina's result than Australia's, but I'd back the Aussies.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:57 pm 

Boobs not Moobs wrote:
OomPB wrote:
1 day to go!

Really not feeling it. It's the WC ffs and it's barely registering on my consciousness. Haven't even looked at TV schedule yet.

I get the feeling. Just sorta came up on me as well. May be more down to my life's a lot more busy than it has been for previous editions.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:20 pm 

OomPB wrote:
1 day to go!

:smug:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:41 pm 

Any Italians about. In Italy from Sunday until Saturday. Will there be coverage of all games or better to dust off a decent VPN trial?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:02 am 

I declare RWC 2019 OPEN!

Let the games begin!!!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:28 am 

Japan is going to moer Russia. Friday means early finish of work, I can watch it :nod:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:46 am 

Yet another World Cup begins with McCaw entering from the side.....

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:47 am 

Jake wrote:

You SAW him? Must be out of practice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:50 am 

Jake wrote:

Do you want him from the back?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:52 am 

OomPB wrote:
Jake wrote:

Of course he does. Richie’s one of his crushes.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:55 am 

mr bungle wrote:
OomPB wrote:
Jake wrote:

Richie poach from the back.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:08 am 

mr bungle wrote:
OomPB wrote:
Jake wrote:

He's hot! Do you blame me?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:10 am 

Jake wrote:
mr bungle wrote:
OomPB wrote:
Jake wrote:

He's hot! Do you blame me?

No sex talk on my thread please. Take it to Sards Sharks thread. Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:46 am 

Well, RWC fever is totally none existent here so far, no flags, posters or anything - though the local rugby club which is in National South 2 and bigger than the town football club must have something I guess.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:20 pm 

OomPB wrote:
SCOTLAND - 14

AUSTRALIA - 12

WALES - 8

ITALY - 8

ENGLAND - 6

FRANCE - 6

IRELAND - 5

ALL BLACKS - 4

SOUTH AFRICA - 1

ARGENTINA - 0

WALES - 8

Total and utter bollox - it's 3. Those in bold.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:24 pm 

Japan had the shitters for this opener, and it took them a while to get into the game. Their 15 was frozen scared!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next