Sharks 2020

All things Rugby
OomStruisbaai

Re: Sharks 2020

Post by OomStruisbaai »

Libbok coming to the Sharks as replacement for Bosch rnd Fassi who will play for the Springbokke.
Sards

Post by Sards »

OomPB wrote:Libbok coming to the Sharks as replacement for Bosch rnd Fassi who will play for the Springbokke.
Speculation re Bosch and Fassi.

No place in the team for either.

Libbock knows this is where he will grow in the number 10 slot.
Chilli

Post by Chilli »

Sards wrote:
OomPB wrote:Libbok coming to the Sharks as replacement for Bosch rnd Fassi who will play for the Springbokke.
Speculation re Bosch and Fassi.

No place in the team for either.

Libbock knows this is where he will grow in the number 10 slot.
Sharks planning on putting him on steroids? :shock:
assfly

Post by assfly »

Might not be a terrible signing, but I don't see Bosch getting into the Boks anytime soon.
Sards

Post by Sards »

assfly wrote:Might not be a terrible signing, but I don't see Bosch getting into the Boks anytime soon.
Or Fassi...

Boks don't play with flair and an attacking mindset. They are a defensively structured side .
assfly

Post by assfly »

Sards wrote:Boks don't play with flair and an attacking mindset. They are a defensively structured side .
I can see Fassi pushing Willie for the 15 jersey. Nobody else really putting their hand up in that department.

But Bosch, as much as I like him, hasn't done enough to dislodge Handre or Elton. Maybe if one of them get's injured.
handyman

Post by handyman »

assfly wrote:
Sards wrote:Boks don't play with flair and an attacking mindset. They are a defensively structured side .
I can see Fassi pushing Willie for the 15 jersey. Nobody else really putting their hand up in that department.

But Bosch, as much as I like him, hasn't done enough to dislodge Handre or Elton. Maybe if one of them get's injured.
Agreed. I think Pollard is a shoe in for a few years.
Sards

Post by Sards »

assfly wrote:

Its not just Willie blocking Fassi....Rassie has a hard on for Willemse and then there is also Kolbe .... So if Fassi did get into the bok structure it will be as ball boy.

Handre yes...Elton , sorry but he has become even more useless this year. Bosch completely outclassed him when they met this year. But agree , Its very difficult for Bosch to break through being a Sharks player...
assfly

Post by assfly »

I miss the Sharks :((

My Saturday afternoons suck.
backrow

Post by backrow »

Ive forgotten , what’s happened to this season now officially and to our first place?
OomStruisbaai

Post by OomStruisbaai »

Fassie & Bosch will play for the Bok dirt trackers on tour
assfly

Post by assfly »

Dammt

https://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/SuperRu ... U0C_mqytmo

Well, it was fun having the best backline in SA whilst it lasted.

Why not take Fassi and Nkosi just to completely strip the team down :(
Sards

Post by Sards »

assfly wrote:Dammt

https://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/SuperRu ... U0C_mqytmo

Well, it was fun having the best backline in SA whilst it lasted.

Why not take Fassi and Nkosi just to completely strip the team down :(
Have faith brother.....our boys are ok I reckon. We are buying players currently so I reckon Mapimpi and Am are ok
Chilli

Post by Chilli »

https://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/SuperRu ... y-20200515
The Sharks have held onto their 2019 World Cup winning Springboks, including Makazole Mapimpi, after South African rugby's very own transfer deadline day on Thursday.

Register your interest for the British & Irish Lions tickets in South Africa 2021

Professional rugby players in the country had until midnight on Thursday - the end of a three-week window - to leave their existing contracts with their unions.

It was a clause was agreed upon by the SA Rugby Industry, MyPlayers and the South African Rugby Employers' Organisation (Sareo) last month as part of SA Rugby's efforts to cut costs in the face of the global coronavirus pandemic.

On Thursday, the final day of the window, Super Rugby coaches and union administrators endured a nervy evening in the knowledge that their players could exercise their option to exit their contracts immediately.

That happened in Durban, where 25-year-old lock Tyler Paul on Thursday night informed the franchise that he would be leaving. Paul is understood to have accepted an offer in Japan and Sharks CEO Ed Coetzee was informed of the decision after 22:00.

The good news, though, is that star Springbok wing Mapimpi is staying.

The 29-year-old had been the subject of much speculation and is understood to have received a lucrative counter-offer from a Japanese club after initially turning them down.

There was uncertainty over his future as recently as Thursday evening, but after communication with Coetzee, the Bok speedster eventually gave his commitment to the franchise.

Lukhanyo Am had been linked with a European move, but he has also committed to the Sharks.

Speaking to Sport24 on Friday morning, Coetzee acknowledged that the money on offer had made it a difficult situation for Mapimpi.

"It's a tough decision to make," Coetzee said.

A further complication in the clause stipulated that the franchises were not allowed to make counter-offers for their players - a ruling that has been a source of much anguish for local coaches and administrators.

Coetzee, though, is pleased with how the Sharks have emerged from a situation that had the potential to be a lot worse.

"We're very happy and I think it's the fruit of the system and the way we treat our players," he said.

"If the players were not happy, they would have left.

"There is a strong leadership group here within the players and Sean (Everitt, coach) has done a fantastic job. I think the players actually sorted it out themselves and they want to be part of a successful era at the Sharks.

"We're relieved, but also proud."

The Sharks were top of the combined 2020 Super Rugby standings after seven rounds of fixtures when the tournament was suspended due to the coronavirus.
assfly

Post by assfly »

I applaud Mapimpi and Am. They are cut from a different cloth, and it's testament to the coaches and environment at the Sharktank :thumbup:
handyman

Post by handyman »

assfly wrote:I applaud Mapimpi and Am. They are cut from a different cloth, and it's testament to the coaches and environment at the Sharktank :thumbup:
Agteros kom ook in die kraal :thumbup:
assfly

Post by assfly »

:lol:
Sards

Post by Sards »

assfly wrote:I applaud Mapimpi and Am. They are cut from a different cloth, and it's testament to the coaches and environment at the Sharktank :thumbup:
Getting rid of Rob senior has really changed the environment at the Sharks. Not that he embarrased the side compared to other unions but you are really comparing against mediocre teams.
The advantage of playing for a strong globally recognized brand is that you dont need to look any further to reach the apex in your playing career. And you will always be in the global spotlight.
assfly

Post by assfly »

I was watching some old highlights of Andre Joubert back in the day. He really was something special.
Chilli

Post by Chilli »

assfly wrote:I was watching some old highlights of Andre Joubert back in the day. He really was something special.
I doubt that we will see another 15 with his skills.
Sards

Post by Sards »

assfly wrote:I was watching some old highlights of Andre Joubert back in the day. He really was something special.
Tony Watson
Hugh Reece Edwards
Henri Honnibal

Those were the guys I was watching when I started supporting the Sharks....

Was introduced to Tony Watson in the Jackson Metals suite
Chilli

Post by Chilli »

Sharks flyhalf Curwin Bosch says he was frustrated during the time Robert du Preez was head coach of the Durban franchise.

Register your interest for the British & Irish Lions tickets in South Africa 2021

Du Preez's son, Robert Jnr, became the Sharks' first-choice pivot after arriving from Western Province at the end of 2017, with Bosch largely utilised at fullback or confined to a bench role.

"I clearly told coach Rob and the coaching team that I had no problem that [Robert Jnr] was coming [to the Sharks], as long as the policy for choosing the team stayed fair," Bosch said in an interview with Afrikaans Sunday newspaper Rapport.

"That was all I asked. But if you asked me now, it was not fair at all. All that I wanted was that we both had a fair chance in the No 10 jersey and that the best man gets picked. If he then outplayed me - no problem. Then I would have been the first to say you can pick Rob, because he is playing better than me."

Bosch, 22, admitted that he had thoughts of joining another team.

"That chance was never given to us and that is what frustrates me the most. I began thinking about leaving the Sharks. It is probably just part of rugby and sometimes the team selection won't be fair - no matter who the coach is," Bosch said.

Bosch though added that he held no grudges and sent Du Preez Snr a text message thanking him for backing him as a youngster at the Sharks.

The Du Preez's have since left the Sharks and Bosch has thrived under new coach Sean Everitt, making the No 10 jersey his own again.

He was the top points scorer in this year's Super Rugby event (86 points) before it was halted due to the Covid-19 pandemic. Next in line was the Jaguares' Domingo Miotti - some distance away from Bosch on 46 points.

The Sharks were top of the standings with six wins from seven matches.

- Compiled by Sport24 staff
Lemoentjie

Post by Lemoentjie »

Nepotism runs with the du Preez
handyman

Post by handyman »

Lemoentjie wrote:Nepotism runs with the du Preez
I think it's the whole toxic environment.
assfly

Post by assfly »

handyman wrote:
Forgive us. The air is so thin up here, at the top of the log.
handyman

Post by handyman »

assfly wrote:
handyman wrote:
We've been top of the log as well before the end of the season. Does not count for a lot tho.
Sards

Post by Sards »

handyman wrote:
assfly wrote:
handyman wrote:
We've been top of the log as well before the end of the season. Does not count for a lot tho.
Throughout the season this year, what I noticed about the Sharks was that they played the exact kind of game I wanted to play. You can see that the guys have the freedom on the field to play what they see in front of them and that’s my thing.’

A discussion with Sharks head coach Sean Everitt, as well as his views on the young squad, was key in getting Libbok to agree to terms with the Durban franchise.

‘I did speak to the coach, Sean, and we had a good chat,’ said the 22-year-old.

‘I could hear from the chat that they are busy building something special. He made me excited about joining the guys and being part of that something special. That also made my decision easier because I’m excited about what’s going on there and how they play.’
A toxic environment is when your players leave in droves for other franchises.
Sards

Post by Sards »

assfly wrote:
handyman wrote:
Its been tough for WP supporters this past decade assfly....show compassion.
Chilli

Post by Chilli »

Sharks scrumhalf Louis Schreuder is set to leave the union.

Sport24 has had it confirmed that the 30-year-old will leave the franchise immediately. At this stage, it is not clear where he is heading.

Schreuder has been at the Sharks since 2017 when he joined from the Southern Kings and, more recently, he enjoyed a loan spell at Toulon in 2019.

An experienced campaigner who captained the Sharks in their victorious 2018 Currie Cup campaign, Schreuder was also instrumental to the side's success in Super Rugby 2020, where they were top of the combined log before the tournament was prematurely suspended as a result of the global coronavirus crisis.

His departure means that highly-rated No 9 Sanele Nohamba will be expected to get far more game time when rugby does resume while Jaden Hendrikse is another in waiting.

Schreuder's one and only Test cap came under Allister Coetzee against Wales in Cardiff in 2017.

Leaves the Sharks a bit thin at 9. Nohamba has talent, but we saw his lack of experience during the Super Rugby.
assfly

Post by assfly »

Wasn't a huge fan, but he did provide a bit of experience when it mattered. Makes way for the youngsters I guess.
Sards

Post by Sards »

assfly wrote:Wasn't a huge fan, but he did provide a bit of experience when it mattered. Makes way for the youngsters I guess.
Nohamba gets to start.....👌
mdaclarke

Post by mdaclarke »

assfly wrote:Wasn't a huge fan, but he did provide a bit of experience when it mattered. Makes way for the youngsters I guess.
Where is he going?
OomStruisbaai

Post by OomStruisbaai »

Chilli wrote:
Sharks scrumhalf Louis Schreuder is set to leave the union.

Sport24 has had it confirmed that the 30-year-old will leave the franchise immediately. At this stage, it is not clear where he is heading.

Schreuder has been at the Sharks since 2017 when he joined from the Southern Kings and, more recently, he enjoyed a loan spell at Toulon in 2019.

An experienced campaigner who captained the Sharks in their victorious 2018 Currie Cup campaign, Schreuder was also instrumental to the side's success in Super Rugby 2020, where they were top of the combined log before the tournament was prematurely suspended as a result of the global coronavirus crisis.

His departure means that highly-rated No 9 Sanele Nohamba will be expected to get far more game time when rugby does resume while Jaden Hendrikse is another in waiting.

Schreuder's one and only Test cap came under Allister Coetzee against Wales in Cardiff in 2017.

Leaves the Sharks a bit thin at 9. Nohamba has talent, but we saw his lack of experience during the Super Rugby.
Sad loss for the Sharks. :blush:

Have to agree that Everett has cut out all the kak wood now.
assfly

Post by assfly »

mdaclarke wrote:
Where is he going?
That hasn't been disclosed yet. Perhaps he received a good offer overseas, as I don't see any other unions screaming out for a 30 year old scrummie.
Sards

Post by Sards »

Louis did his job and was a proud Sharks player and captain. I wish him good fortune going forward and he can hold his head up high knowing he was part of the Sharks recent success. Like all players that join the Sharks to be able to Express themselves I hope that the culture of success he has experienced guides him on his way forward.
beachboy

Post by beachboy »

Sards wrote:Louis did his job and was a proud Sharks player and captain. I wish him good fortune going forward and he can hold his head up high knowing he was part of the Sharks recent success. Like all players that join the Sharks to be able to Express themselves I hope that the culture of success he has experienced guides him on his way forward.
I never liked Louis Schreuder, always felt he was overrated. The Sharks have Cameron Wright and a few years ago he was destined to be the next best scrumhalf in SA but his career at the Sharks has been in a bit of a decline. This will be a great opportunity for him and hopefully the coaches put some faith in him and get him to perform. If he does the Sharks have more than enough depth in the position.
assfly

Post by assfly »

beachboy wrote:I never liked Louis Schreuder, always felt he was overrated. The Sharks have Cameron Wright and a few years ago he was destined to be the next best scrumhalf in SA but his career at the Sharks has been in a bit of a decline. This will be a great opportunity for him and hopefully the coaches put some faith in him and get him to perform. If he does the Sharks have more than enough depth in the position.
I didn't even know Wright was back from France. I always liked him, but must be struggling with his form. Hopefully he can step up.
Chilli

Post by Chilli »

assfly wrote:
beachboy wrote:I never liked Louis Schreuder, always felt he was overrated. The Sharks have Cameron Wright and a few years ago he was destined to be the next best scrumhalf in SA but his career at the Sharks has been in a bit of a decline. This will be a great opportunity for him and hopefully the coaches put some faith in him and get him to perform. If he does the Sharks have more than enough depth in the position.
I didn't even know Wright was back from France. I always liked him, but must be struggling with his form. Hopefully he can step up.
He was a huge disappointment.
Sards

Post by Sards »

Chilli wrote:
assfly wrote:
He was a huge disappointment.
This