Chat Forum
It is currently Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:19 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 315 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:50 pm 

Miguel Indurain wrote:
lilyw wrote:
One for the the older Irish posters only:

I had the great misfortune to run across Mick Doyle many times during the late '90s. Absolutely obnoxious when sober, & even worse when drunk.

Agree. Mick could be a really miserable bugger with a few on him. Willie Duggan too, he could be very hot or very cold.

Mick Quinn was a really boring old bollox.

Most players are OK though. Slattery is a gentleman, Phil Orr too.

Mick Quinn and his whole family are lovely people.

There’s a certain type of loudmouth rugby bore that gives the sport, and particularly the South Dublin community of the sport, a certain reputation, and Mick can occasionally turn that on in that company.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:49 am 

I met some bloke tonight who was called Rob Saunders who played for London Irish and Ireland (one of his sons plays for Quins) and he was lovely!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:01 am 

Floppykid wrote:
Any Irish ever met Mad Dog on the sauce?

I can't imagine any of us other than Jumper frequent The George.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:50 am 

Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left
Toro wrote:
Auckman wrote:
Ali Williams - tosser on and off the field in both teams you're in with him and on the opposing team.

His brother is the complete opposite though.

I haven't heard anything about him but he would've been my first candidate, just from watching him on tv, such a knob.

Ali has just scored the best try of his career

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/spy/news/art ... p1tmBLKxRc

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:30 am 

Itoje and Sinkler outed themselves at the weekend.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:10 am 

obelixtim wrote:

Nah, plenty have already added them to their lists.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:11 am 

obelixtim wrote:

Take a step back champ.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:16 am 

obelixtim wrote:

You can add Willi Heinz as well - he refused to wear his losing Super medal in 2014.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:52 am 

obelixtim wrote:

Man, that semi final has permanently broken a few posters hasn't it

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:57 am 

fatcat wrote:
obelixtim wrote:

You can add Willi Heinz as well - he refused to wear his losing Super medal in 2014.

Just putting himself in contention for future England selection and 25k a game.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:03 pm 

Seneca of the Night wrote:
fatcat wrote:
obelixtim wrote:

That was when the NZ coaches took him aside and said 'son, don't you think you'd be more suited to playing for England.' and the rest is history.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:04 pm 

obelixtim wrote:

https://images.app.goo.gl/LmWnuRU7kX3PsuHC8

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:05 pm 

Oh shit, I forgot to mention Willi's Crusaders team mates. :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:29 pm 

DOB wrote:
Floppykid wrote:
Rob Howley.

Prick told me to bet my stake in a local cafe on Toulouse for the ‘04 HEC final. Never forgiven him.
underrated comment :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:03 pm 

The Sun God wrote:

Arrogant, money grabber. Been in his company on a few occasions and as my Father has always said ' you can tell a lot about a man by the way he treats his waiter and his caddy'...

My dad taught me that when hiring lawyers (he ran a small firm similar to mine when he was alive) to talk to staff at the candidates' firm and see if he/she had the respect of staff. Lots of lawyers who are nice to colleagues and shit to staff, and that is bad business.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:07 pm 

fatcat wrote:
I met some bloke tonight who was called Rob Saunders who played for London Irish and Ireland (one of his sons plays for Quins) and he was lovely!

He is...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:31 pm 

Brian9848 wrote:
Met Wood, BM, Catt, Probyn and Jiffy at more than a few different corporate dos a few years ago. Certainly found him to be the least accommodating while all the others were brilliant in fairness. Jiffy, in particular, couldn't have been a nicer bloke.

Sad to say that a cousin had a very bad experience with BOD when out with friends one Sat night and they bumped into him out clubbing at the height of his playing days. He was an aggressive, arrogant, misogynistic plum according to several accounts. Hope it was just the drink, but she went from being a huge fan to someone who spits whenever his name appears.

Back in 2001 I was at the Fairyhill Hotel in the Gower. Jiffy was there with a few friends and it wasn't long before they were all pissed and were on their knees recreating the try Jiffy scored against Scotland in 1988. He was a very affable person.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:54 pm 

A few more:

Bad: John Wells and Jon Callard. Utter bellends both. Agree re Keith Wood. Sylvain Marconnet is an absolute tool too.

Good: Alan Quinlan is spectacularly great, Thomas Lombard too (press box smokers' corner fanatics), D'Arcy, Kieran Read (incredibly nice guy), Julian Bonnaire.

Off the scale good; Shane Byrne.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:51 pm 

JM2K6 wrote:
obelixtim wrote:

Man, that semi final has permanently broken a few posters hasn't it

:lol:

We were lucky not to lose by more. 32 - 0 was on the cards. Itoje played a great game. As did the loosies.

But we can console ourselves with 3 RWC wins already under our belts.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:56 am 

DOB wrote:
Floppykid wrote:
Rob Howley.

Prick told me to bet my stake in a local cafe on Toulouse for the ‘04 HEC final. Never forgiven him.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:48 am 

Toro wrote:
Auckman wrote:
Ali Williams - tosser on and off the field in both teams you're in with him and on the opposing team.

His brother is the complete opposite though.

I haven't heard anything about him but he would've been my first candidate, just from watching him on tv, such a knob.

He's dating a billionaire also. Just shows you, being a dickhead doesn't hinder your life in any way. Probably helps really.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:54 am 

Never met the guy but Andrew Hore comes across as a serial killer. I suspect he has the bodies of at least a thousand seals and several soulless gingers stuffed in his barn.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:26 am 

Floppykid wrote:
Can't say I've heard a bad thing about Ruchie, but if FT says it I know fully believe it.
I actually heard he opens up the helicopter door during flights over busy areas and urinates down upon them with great gusto.

Well thought out. Several hundred feet in the air with wind blowing all around you and rotating blades above. Sound like he likes urinating on himself. Perhaps he jumps with a parachute and waits until he is no more than 10' from the ground before he starts tinkling.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:28 am 

Jake wrote:
Can't think of that many bad ones- Marler can be hard work. My experiences with Zinny are completely the opposite.

Greenwood- all about Will
Healey- ditto
POM is just intense and weird.

Welsh lads tend to be a tad less engaging since they get pulled a lot harder by fans and media than English players

Best ones are the likes of Thompson, Moody and a few others of that era.

What do you mean?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:31 am 

LandOTurk wrote:
Jake wrote:
Can't think of that many bad ones- Marler can be hard work. My experiences with Zinny are completely the opposite.

Healey- ditto

Welsh lads tend to be a tad less engaging since they get pulled a lot harder by fans and media than English players

What do you mean?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:41 am 

DOB wrote:
Stjudes wrote:
DOB wrote:
hermie wrote:
Had heard stories about Gordon D'arcy but he was an absolute gent the time I met him. Can vouch for Mike Phillips, absolute legend. Leo Cullen wasn't particularly nice but in his defence I was quite drunk inquiring about a game the day before where they were badly beaten. Malcolm O'Kelly was with him and seemed to find the whole exchange hilarious.

The way I heard it, Darse came out of school thinking he was the business, and that he didn't have to train or watch what he ate to be a rugby superstar. Somewhere along the way he must have got his head right, because he turned into a model pro and built a nice long career for himself.

I can agree with that, I knew him from about 21 and the penny was beginning to drop.

A certain 2nd row/8, and object of affection of statisticians hereabouts, contemporary of his never seemed to quite learn the lesson.

Is that a Globby's 7 across kind of question (6,5)?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:15 am 

LandOTurk wrote:
DOB wrote:
Stjudes wrote:
DOB wrote:
hermie wrote:
Had heard stories about Gordon D'arcy but he was an absolute gent the time I met him. Can vouch for Mike Phillips, absolute legend. Leo Cullen wasn't particularly nice but in his defence I was quite drunk inquiring about a game the day before where they were badly beaten. Malcolm O'Kelly was with him and seemed to find the whole exchange hilarious.

The way I heard it, Darse came out of school thinking he was the business, and that he didn't have to train or watch what he ate to be a rugby superstar. Somewhere along the way he must have got his head right, because he turned into a model pro and built a nice long career for himself.

I can agree with that, I knew him from about 21 and the penny was beginning to drop.

A certain 2nd row/8, and object of affection of statisticians hereabouts, contemporary of his never seemed to quite learn the lesson.

Is that a Globby's 7 across kind of question (6,5)?

The Irish posters here know who I mean. The player in question was never really famous, so no point bringing him up on this thread.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:58 am 

Ruan Pienaar is a gent.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:17 am 

LandOTurk wrote:
Jake wrote:

Healey- ditto

What do you mean?

Ask the bloke who goes to the Fairyhill Hotel.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:41 am 

Had a few beers with Bernard Jackman during the WC. As decent a bloke I have met anywhere.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:10 am 

The Sun God wrote:
Had a few beers with Bernard Jackman during the WC. As decent a bloke I have met anywhere.

The thread title says 'famous'.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:18 am 

MrDominator wrote:
The Sun God wrote:

The thread title says 'famous'.

I'm sure you cheered him on many times in front of your TV set.... doubt you went to many games, in your previous life before you realized you couldn't hack it in your home town and moved to the UK where you could pretend.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:36 pm 

Justin Marshall when he was playing for Sarries enrolled his kid(s?) at my son's club. My boy and a few of his team-mates (U12s iirc) spied him sitting by himself in the grandstand one day but were too shy to approach him, so I went and introduced myself and asked if he'd mind having a chat with them. No problem, he said. Don't know what they talked about but he kept them entertained for a good 15 minutes or more. I've always felt inclined to excuse his foot-in-mouth commentating for that bit of gentility.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:29 pm 

Brazil wrote:
crash 669 wrote:
slick wrote:
backrow wrote:
Petros wrote:
Matt Dawson

Ah now I’ve met Matt Dawson through work as he has a superfoods health line - I was expecting a bellend of sorts but in fact found him very pleasant and professional. His BBC question of sport twat banter persona was not apparent in any way.

He must have been trying very hard because he is deffo a twat. Punched me on the back of the head when I was having a piss once. One of a few run ins.

I was at school with his cousin and he was a little cunt too, must run in the family.

Sadly Mark Cueto was a bit of a prick when he met Braz. Though Brazil does have that effect on people.

Cueto was perfectly polite, if a bit self effacing, however he was in the phase where he wouldn't admit to having played for Sandbach, which was rather awkward. Steve Hanley was the actual bellend on the day and, in retrospect, I should've just run directly at him...

Back to the thread title, and in news that will surprise nobody anywhere: Richard Cockerill

He definitely turned out for the 'bach as a youngster. One of those I guess who as their career wains realise that a decreasing number of people know who the hell they are and so have to become a little more likeable to keep those appearance fees coming in. Cueto has been back since and presented awards at the mini junior dinner.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:26 pm 

Mr Fedora wrote:
Justin Marshall when he was playing for Sarries enrolled his kid(s?) at my son's club. My boy and a few of his team-mates (U12s iirc) spied him sitting by himself in the grandstand one day but were too shy to approach him, so I went and introduced myself and asked if he'd mind having a chat with them. No problem, he said. Don't know what they talked about but he kept them entertained for a good 15 minutes or more. I've always felt inclined to excuse his foot-in-mouth commentating for that bit of gentility.

Marshall might the biggest wanker I've ever come across now that you mention. He was a ringer on a 10s team I played on about 6 years ago and couldn't handle his piss, particularly around some lads better halves. Within an hour of wrapping up he was getting everyone's cold shoulder and was lucky not to get chinned before being ushered back to his hotel by a sponsors minder. A complete a prick.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 315 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8