Chat Forum
It is currently Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:56 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 315 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:49 am 

Scott Gibbs did a couple of presentation nights for our junior section. Spoke to no-one all evening and complained he hadn't had a chance to drink as much as he'd like.

Mike Phillips on the other hand is a real gent, made sure he spoke to every single squad member and their parents.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:50 am 

lesser known, Semisi Naevo (man mountain). i saw him chase, tackle and powerbomb this indian guy who was as tall as Kevin Hart on the beach cause he semisi was drunk and he swore at him and the indian guy threw a bottle at him.. racism is alive and thriving here :thumbup: :thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:50 am 

Was at Uni with a guy who played against Gregor Townsend at U18 level, and said he was the most arrogant guy he had ever met (though he did add that he had the talent to back it up).

One of my old teachers was at school with Andy Irvine - ‘personality like a sewer’ is the soundbite I remember!

On the other hand, I also have it on good authority that Chris Paterson is a very nice guy.

Last edited by Doc Rob on Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:51 am 

Diego wrote:
Seán O'Brien and Peter O'Mahony are the two I've heard most frequently. SOB more when he's on the piss (lol) tbf, POM is apparently a bit weird and not at all personable.

Sad to hear that. Have seen him in the tunnel at Thomond Park plenty of times with CJ chatting with the kids and generally being a good lad.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:52 am 

Diego wrote:
Seán O'Brien and Peter O'Mahony are the two I've heard most frequently. SOB more when he's on the piss (lol) tbf, POM is apparently a bit weird and not at all personable.

Apparently POM cuts the grass in his garden every weekend. Is absolutely obsessed with having a pristine lawn.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:54 am 

Matthew Ridge was (probably still is) an arrogant piece of work. Never understood the chemistry between him and Marc Ellis - who was a good guy the couple of times I met them.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:57 am 

Nolanator wrote:
Diego wrote:

Apparently POM cuts the grass in his garden every weekend. Is absolutely obsessed with having a pristine lawn.

Maybe he just likes being left alone and not approached by every random rugby obsessed weirdo?

As for BCM and Bimbo I can't imagine what it was about Bimbo that BCM didn't warm to :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:58 am 

sewa wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
Diego wrote:

Maybe he just likes being left alone and not approached by every random rugby obsessed weirdo?

As for BCM and Bimbo I can't imagine what it was about Bimbo that BCM didn't warm to :roll:

Maaaate give it a rest will you :lol:

Crash_12 wrote:
Scott Gibbs did a couple of presentation nights for our junior section. Spoke to no-one all evening and complained he hadn't had a chance to drink as much as he'd like.

Mike Phillips on the other hand is a real gent, made sure he spoke to every single squad member and their parents.

John Bentley was like this as was Jeff Proban, were both being paid to be there but acted like they were on a night out with mates.

Can't speak highly enough of them.

I do make allowances for talented young players tbf- the acid test is who grows out of it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:59 am 

globus wrote:
crash 669 wrote:
Might as well call this "Stories about scrum halves" since they're all cunts.

Nope. My man used to fire rugby ball bullets at me. In the chest area, which was rather joyful.

I'll not have anything said badly about DK.

Really!! Was that the one you have repeatedly told us was better than Gareth Edwards?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:00 am 

Doc Rob wrote:
Was at Uni with a guy who played against Gregor Townsend at U18 level, and said he was the most arrogant guy he had ever met (though he did add that he had the talent to back it up).

One of my old teachers was at school with Andy Irvine - ‘personality like a sewer’ is the soundbite I remember!

On the other hand, I also have it on good authority that Chris Paterson is a very nice guy.

Can confirm re Chris Paterson is a nice bloke. Our kids play together when down watching Accies and it took me a couple of weeks to realise it was him as he was just so decent :blush:

Also met Tony Stanger a few weeks ago, top man.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:01 am 

Gavin Hastings........complete arse.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:02 am 

BokJock wrote:
Crash_12 wrote:

John Bentley was like this as was Jeff Proban, were both being paid to be there but acted like they were on a night out with mates.

Can't speak highly enough of them.

Heard elsewhere that Bentley was a really good guy, so that’s not a surprise.

Terry Kingston, ex Irish hooker and captain, is one of the nicest guys you could meet.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:04 am 

ManInTheBar wrote:
bimboman wrote:
ManInTheBar wrote:
bimboman wrote:
BCM.

Please, why?

I don't know the man personally but enjoyed watching him play, enjoy his commentary (which I find honest and perceptive) and, having read his autobiography I was hoping he'd be an interesting individual to knock about with.

If not, then disappointing.

Been in his company 1/2 dozen or so times. Boorish, rude , threatening etc.

Thanks. Disappointing as I say. City do's?

If Bimboman in real life is anything like he is on the bored I think BCM's behaviour is fair enough.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:05 am 

His behaviour wasn’t directed towards me.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:05 am 

backrow wrote:

Hey, I was just shocked to hear Bimbo got threatened :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:06 am 

Gazzamonster wrote:
Matthew Ridge was (probably still is) an arrogant piece of work. Never understood the chemistry between him and Marc Ellis - who was a good guy the couple of times I met them.

Funnily enough, I was out one night with Ridgey, who I'd always thought to be a dick until I met him that day, Marty Devlin and later that night, Marc Ellis...the Dick of the Day was Zinzan Brooke, who I ran into later that night...it was the night of the 2003 RWC Final in Sydney, I'd been up to no good with Devlin, Ridge and Nicky Watson and we had arranged to meet Ellis at the bar du jour...finally got in, saw Brooke holding court at the bar, he was a favourite AB of mine in his playing days, I introduced myself and said I just wanted to pay my respects...he proceeded to hang shit on me about my "tea-towel" Ben Sherman to amuse his friends so I told him to get f**ked and went back to my group...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:07 am 

Play the ball, not the man, Plenty of opportunity for late hits, rabbit punches, gouging on The Other Thread

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:09 am 

sewa wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
Diego wrote:

:thumbup:
I meant that he seems like a quiet guy who likes his space at times and that it could sometimes come across as weird, not that it makes him a prick.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:09 am 

BCM is a lawyer. Case closed.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:25 am 

Doc Rob wrote:

Can echo the Andy Irvine - did a speech at a club dinner espousing the evils of professionalism and how it was the fault of the Southern Hemisphere, France, England and Ireland.

The nature of the main industry of Aberdeen means that there was a room full of those nationalities, and fudge me did he drone on about it, very petty speech.

Chris Paterson is a very nice guy, this is true.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:32 am 

Ali Williams - tosser on and off the field in both teams you're in with him and on the opposing team.

His brother is the complete opposite though.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:43 am 

LBND, sadly. Great player for Wasps and England. Was alright when I met him socially near the start of his career (he'd just been called into the 7s team), but stories of his behaviour since his England peak don't speak of a pleasant man.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:45 am 

sewa wrote:
backrow wrote:

Hey, I was just shocked to hear Bimbo got threatened :lol:

Oh, I thought it was BCM that got threatened !
:o

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:49 am 

Woddy wrote:
LBND, sadly. Great player for Wasps and England. Was alright when I met him socially near the start of his career (he'd just been called into the 7s team), but stories of his behaviour since his England peak don't speak of a pleasant man.

The only time I've bumped into him back in 06 he was very polite, had a brief chat and seemed quite friendly. But he'd not been on the pop then so it's possible he's a twunt when he's been drinking.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:54 am 

crash 669 wrote:
Woddy wrote:

The only time I've bumped into him back in 06 he was very polite, had a brief chat and seemed quite friendly. But he'd not been on the pop then so it's possible he's a twunt when he's been drinking.

All the bad stories I've heard involve an amount of pre-fuelling of some form or other, so he could be lovely when sober. I'd imagine that his, um, bulk-enhancers might affect one's character over time too.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:01 pm 

SaintK wrote:
globus wrote:
crash 669 wrote:
Might as well call this "Stories about scrum halves" since they're all cunts.

Nope. My man used to fire rugby ball bullets at me. In the chest area, which was rather joyful.

I'll not have anything said badly about DK.

Really!! Was that the one you have repeatedly told us was better than Gareth Edwards?

Yep.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:29 pm 

Woddy wrote:
crash 669 wrote:
Woddy wrote:

All the bad stories I've heard involve an amount of pre-fuelling of some form or other, so he could be lovely when sober. I'd imagine that his, um, bulk-enhancers might affect one's character over time too.

Met LBND a couple of times in a sober context and he's very polite and generous with his time.

Not really sure I can hold it against him (or any other player) for being a bellend when on the piss - I mean that's true for most of us past a certain point surely?

Considering most pro rugby players are guys in their early twenties (and who is entirely proud of the way they behaved in this part of their life?) with great physiques and a relatively high status job I am not surprised they act the twats/overplay their hand when on the night out...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:34 pm 

tc27 wrote:
Woddy wrote:
crash 669 wrote:
Woddy wrote:

Met LBND a couple of times in a sober context and he's very polite and generous with his time.

Not really sure I can hold it against him (or any other player) for being a bellend when on the piss - I mean that's true for most of us past a certain point surely?

Considering most pro rugby players are guys in their early twenties (and who is entirely proud of the way they behaved in this part of their life?) with great physiques and a relatively high status job I am not surprised they act the twats/overplay their hand when on the night out...

The most dickish ones I've heard are from just the last few years. All the same, I take your point to some degree. However, being on the piss/substance can also reveal one's true nature: in vino/narco veritas and all that...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:36 pm 

BokJock wrote:
Met Austin Healy once, fully expecting him to be a bell end - he was cocky sure but in no way acted like a dick, was quite funny and had a drink with the group I was with.

The same. I had a few very enjoyable beers and a chat with him once upon a time. Aside from a few gentle anti-Welsh jibes, he was a decent enough sort of bloke.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:38 pm 

crash 669 wrote:
slick wrote:
backrow wrote:
Petros wrote:
Matt Dawson

Ah now I’ve met Matt Dawson through work as he has a superfoods health line - I was expecting a bellend of sorts but in fact found him very pleasant and professional. His BBC question of sport twat banter persona was not apparent in any way.

He must have been trying very hard because he is deffo a twat. Punched me on the back of the head when I was having a piss once. One of a few run ins.

I was at school with his cousin and he was a little cunt too, must run in the family.

Sadly Mark Cueto was a bit of a prick when he met Braz. Though Brazil does have that effect on people.

I met Cueto in a corporate box at Twickenham, and can report nothing of the sort.

In spite of being dazzled by his perma-tan, he did a great job of entertaining a bunch of (very) drunk blokes.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:39 pm 

sewa wrote:
Danny Cipriani, well actually no I used to expect he would be but one of my mates in Spain was in his class all through school and said he is sound out. He did think Kelly Brooke was a total arsehole though

I've never met him, but I have heard much the same from people who have been around him.

Tidy enough bloke - bit shallow/wendyballish, but not a nasty or arrogant bone in his body.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:40 pm 

Crash_12 wrote:

Agreed on Phillips. I met him through a mutual friend, and fully expected him to be an absolute twat. I was wrong.

That said, he wasn't shitfaced outside a McDonald's at the time.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:44 pm 

tc27 wrote:
Woddy wrote:
crash 669 wrote:
Woddy wrote:

I disagree, I have met plenty of young internationals over the years, even a few legends, who have managed to be decent blokes while out on the pop. There still seems to be a certain hard core of FIGJAM twats, mostly it would seem the same tossers who acted like entitled c*nts back at uni.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:52 pm 

Taranaki Snapper wrote:
Gazzamonster wrote:

Funnily enough, I was out one night with Ridgey, who I'd always thought to be a dick until I met him that day, Marty Devlin and later that night, Marc Ellis...the Dick of the Day was Zinzan Brooke, who I ran into later that night...it was the night of the 2003 RWC Final in Sydney, I'd been up to no good with Devlin, Ridge and Nicky Watson and we had arranged to meet Ellis at the bar du jour...finally got in, saw Brooke holding court at the bar, he was a favourite AB of mine in his playing days, I introduced myself and said I just wanted to pay my respects...he proceeded to hang shit on me about my "tea-towel" Ben Sherman to amuse his friends so I told him to get f**ked and went back to my group...

Zinzan can fudge right off if he doesn’t appreciate a gingham Ben Sherman.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:54 pm 

Campo - complete knobhead
Fitzy - grumpy miserable git. But it was just after his retirement and he just seemed bitter about everything.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:58 pm 

Sinkers wrote:
Campo - complete knobhead
Fitzy - grumpy miserable git. But it was just after his retirement and he just seemed bitter about everything.

I always thought Campo would be ok one to one, just plays up to the media..

Ftzy - heard that he thinks he is alway correct..

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:13 pm 

Crash_12 wrote:

I had the exact opposite experience with Scott Gibbs, met him at an event around the Bokke Japan game at the last WC, was very gregarious and giving of his time.... man of the people. Perhaps the open bar helped.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:15 pm 

No surprise really, but add Guscott to the list.

I know a couple of blokes who socialise occasionally with him(more out of loyalty, apparently) and they've confirmed he's a tiresome, arrogant prick.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 315 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next