Chat Forum
It is currently Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:46 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:30 am 

This time, for the production location of the new Lord of the Rings series:

Quote:
Amazon's Lord of the Rings TV show to be filmed in New Zealand

Auckland beats Scotland to NZ$1.3bn contract for what is expected to be the most expensive TV series ever made

New Zealand will reprise its starring role as Middle Earth with confirmation Amazon Studios will and film its new Lord of the Rings television series on its shores.

The country – where Sir Peter Jackson filmed the original Lord of the Rings and Hobbit movies – beat rival Scotland to be named the production location for the series, set to be the most expensive TV show ever made.

Filming for the NZ$1.3bn (£660m) series is slated to begin in the coming months at three sites across Auckland in the North Island. The capital Wellington had been considered but was ruled out due to all available studio space being taken up by Hollywood director James Cameron, who is filming his four Avatar sequels there.

The deal is seen as a win for the New Zealand film industry and a coup for the government, which had been involved in months of negotiations with Amazon while it weighed up location options.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radi ... ew-zealand

It seems odd that they are making a specific point about Auckland. Weren't the original films shot all over NZ?

Last edited by Jeff the Bear on Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:32 am 

Presumably the Auckland thing is in relation to the non location shoots, hence the reference to lack of studio space in Wgtn. And I'd assume they'd try and use locations near Auckland where possible.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:38 am 

You could green screen the entire South Island for a few bucks these days, surely.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:40 am 

Jesus, this year's Shortland St finale will see about 150 characters die off

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:45 am 

In any case, this better be more LOTR trilogy than Hobbit or they won't see much of a return on that investment

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:56 am 

I'm sure some less than kind posters could make a comment about all the ugly characters needed for such a production being in greater supply in NZ but not I! No Siree! I would NEVER dream of considering such...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:01 am 

Hong Kong wrote:
I'm sure some less than kind posters could make a comment about all the ugly characters needed for such a production being in greater supply in NZ but not I! No Siree! I would NEVER dream of considering such...

The orcs are all blokes though and NZ men are all handsome devils.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:01 am 

Hong Kong wrote:

Given the Scottish heritage pervading much of NZ you might be onto something

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:03 am 

Shame, Nicola Sturgeon would have made a great Sauron.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:28 am 

Great news for NZ and in no small way due to the efforts of the Minister for Arts, Culture and Heritage, Jacinda Ardern!

Both Amazon and Netflix are currently shooting in Auckland. ABC/Disney also has a strong relationship with the city so when their behemoth Disney Plus is launched, Auckland's industry should be in great shape.

Just have to get some infrastructure sorted out, although ATEED seem to be front-footing that.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:38 am 

Auckland's landscape doesn't exactly inspire the same sort of awe that the South Island and the Central Plateau does. Hopefully they shoot a lot on location around the country.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:42 am 

BlueThunder wrote:
Auckland's landscape doesn't exactly inspire the same sort of awe that the South Island and the Central Plateau does. Hopefully they shoot a lot on location around the country.
They will. There will be several units going and possibly one permanently based in Queenstown.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:01 am 

Of course the hologram wants to crush NZ's billion dollar screen industry for the sake of appearing different from the National Party.

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/entertainment/2019/09/david-seymour-slams-any-government-lord-of-the-rings-subsidy-for-jeff-bezos.html

Some people just want to see the world burn.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:58 am 

Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left
Hong Kong wrote:

Farking Yanks are sooooo thick.

When we were talking about Auks (as in Aucklanders), they thought we meant orcs and signed it up.

Chur bro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:24 am 

Pacific wrote:
Great news for NZ and in no small way due to the efforts of the Minister for Arts, Culture and Heritage, Jacinda Ardern!

Both Amazon and Netflix are currently shooting in Auckland. ABC/Disney also has a strong relationship with the city so when their behemoth Disney Plus is launched, Auckland's industry should be in great shape.

Just have to get some infrastructure sorted out, although ATEED seem to be front-footing that.

So.... when are you getting banned again, Muttonbird?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:32 am 

Eh? Just commenting about great news for the country. Who wouldn't be happy about that?

Think you've got the wrong guy, mate.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:37 am 

Pacific wrote:
Eh? Just commenting about great news for the country. Who wouldn't be happy about that?

It's pretty fucking obvious who you are, champ. You can't help but hover around your pet topics.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:43 am 

Ghost-Of-Nepia wrote:
Pacific wrote:

It's pretty fucking obvious who you are, champ. You can't help but hover around your pet topics.
Back off, pal. Please.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:46 am 

Pacific wrote:
Ghost-Of-Nepia wrote:
Pacific wrote:

Back off, pal.

Last edited by Ghost-Of-Nepia on Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:46 am 

naki wrote:
In any case, this better be more LOTR trilogy than Hobbit or they won't see much of a return on that investment

I can't say I'm much interested, the LOTR films where about an excellent an adaptation as you could get from casting, the production values to capturing the epic scope of the story. The series in my mind can only be a step down, even if it is good. I'll just re-watch the extended editions.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:53 am 

eldanielfire wrote:
naki wrote:

I can't say I'm much interested, the LOTR films where about an excellent an adaptation as you could get from casting, the production values to capturing the epic scope of the story. The series in my mind can only be a step down, even if it is good. I'll just re-watch the extended editions.
Agree the tendency will be to go safe I expect but it's an amazing opportunity to tell gritty and dark stories. Hopefully Amazon will wish to separate itself from Disney which will not want to damage its family brand.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:21 am 

Quote:
Hollywood director James Cameron, who is filming his four Avatar sequels there.

There's something to look forward to.

x(

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:23 am 

clementinfrance wrote:
Quote:

x(

It is if you work in the film industry in NZ....

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:32 am 

so is it a prologue or epilogue? we already had a prologue with Bilbo Freeman, maybe one on Aragorn Mortensen and his life after the elves left, bring back Arwen Tyler, the dwarf and Legolas Bloom..

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:33 am 

comets wrote:
so is it a prologue or epilogue? we already had a prologue with Bilbo Freeman, maybe one on Aragorn Mortensen and his life after the elves left, bring back Arwen Tyler, the dwarf and Legolas Bloom..

Prequel.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:09 am 

Caley_Red wrote:

How DARE she suggest Scotland might be better off as an independent country, rather than ruled by Boris Johnson and shackled to the sinking ship of Brexit. The embodiment of pure evil, right enough. :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:17 am 

I see one of NZ's activist actors has declared that the new series should get rid of all the old white dudes, make Gandalf a Maori woman, and take a generally 'progressive' take on the material.
She obviously wants it cancelled after two seasons.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:36 am 

deadduck wrote:
I see one of NZ's activist actors has declared that the new series should get rid of all the old white dudes, make Gandalf a Maori woman, and take a generally 'progressive' take on the material.

Screenshot of that?

Anyway, Amazon really do make a lot of corny high budget fantasy shows.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:45 am 

deadduck wrote:

Robyn Malcolm, right? Didn't she have a part in one of the LOTR films herself? She must have, every single NZ based actor seemed to

If so I'm disappointed she didn't give up her role to a Maori woman herself. Walk the walk.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:10 am 

She was in The Two Towers playing one of the fleeing Rohan civilians just before the warg attack.

I guess she wants a chance to blackface up and play a Maori Gandalf, and who could blame her - it must be tough being a too well-known face in the NZ industry to get work but too shit an actor to get overseas work.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:48 am 

Doc Rob wrote:
Caley_Red wrote:

How DARE she suggest Scotland might be better off as an independent country, rather than ruled by Boris Johnson and shackled to the sinking ship of Brexit. The embodiment of pure evil, right enough. :roll:

I think it's more her politicing blaming everything on Westminster where the SNP have had powers to solve many of Scotland's problems. Also claiming that being out the EU is bad but out the union will be better is just lies.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:50 am 

deadduck wrote:
She was in The Two Towers playing one of the fleeing Rohan civilians just before the warg attack.

I guess she wants a chance to blackface up and play a Maori Gandalf, and who could blame her - it must be tough being a too well-known face in the NZ industry to get work but too shit an actor to get overseas work.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:50 am 

Fat Old Git wrote:
Hong Kong wrote:

The orcs are all blokes though and NZ men are all handsome devils.

Probably import a few Saffas to make up the cast :thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:08 am 

clementinfrance wrote:
Quote:

x(

Kill him now! :x

Cameron, not clement

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:36 pm 

eldanielfire wrote:
Doc Rob wrote:
Caley_Red wrote:

I think it's more her politicing blaming everything on Westminster where the SNP have had powers to solve many of Scotland's problems. Also claiming that being out the EU is bad but out the union will be better is just lies.

Sigh. Seeing as you say she blames ‘everything’ on Westminster, I’m sure you can provide some examples of her doing so. Only ones relating to matters that are actually devolved, please.

You may think it’s better to be in the UK and out of the EU, but that doesn’t make it ‘lies’ to state the reverse. I entirely disagree with you, but I’m not calling you a liar. Just wrong.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:34 pm 

Doc Rob wrote:
Caley_Red wrote:

You are reading too much into it. I think he just means she is a horrible cnut.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:41 pm 

BlackMac wrote:
Doc Rob wrote:
Caley_Red wrote:

You are reading too much into it. I think he just means she is a horrible cnut.

The demographic of people who hold this view is oddly similar to that of those who oppose her politically.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:02 pm 

Wasn't Aaron Cruden in LOR?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:12 pm 

The dodgy TV set will be a huge attraction for tourists.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:19 pm 

[quote="BlackMac"][quote="Doc Rob"][quote="Caley_Red"]Shame, Nicola Sturgeon would have made a great Sauron.[/quote]

How DARE she suggest Scotland might be better off as an independent country, rather than ruled by Boris Johnson and shackled to the sinking ship of Brexit. The embodiment of pure evil, right enough. :roll:[/quote]

You are reading too much into it. I think he just means she is a horrible cnut.[/quote]
She is like the EU and remainders. Get the plebs to vote again and again until they get it right.