All things Rugby
piquant

Re: OFFICIAL Brexit Thread

Post by piquant »

bimboman wrote:
piquant wrote:
bimboman wrote:
piquant wrote:
Is 170 billion more or less than the 100 million and something a week we spent on our membership?

See, someone always wants to compare apples with steel rivets when it suits. Quite often an economically illiterate leftist.

I could try and explain the lost money represents actual money, and I could try and explain economically I'm not much of a lefty. But it'd likely prove futile. Luckily for me you were just saying you wanted to pay for policies you approve of, when should we expect the cheque?

It does represent a portion of actual money . It certainly doesn’t represent the figure you’ve used to compare.
It could be more, logically it would be, but being a liberal sort we'll take a check just for the sum noted
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

It could be more, logically it would be, but being a liberal sort we'll take a check just for the sum noted

An actual cash loss being more than the nominal GDP would logically correct?

That’d be some card trick.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

camroc1 wrote:
bimboman wrote:
camroc1 wrote:Didn't Frost threaten to walk away from negotiations if he didn't get his way by June ? And now Boris metaphorically goes to Brussels and says "no, no we're still negotiating". I think I might be beginning to see a pattern.

I can help here, No frost didn’t threaten anything of the sort. Your pattern is in your head. It must have come as a shock yesterday when the EU accepted no extension but there’s no need to invent narratives that aren’t there.
Apologies Bimbo, it was Gove.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-51650961

EDIT Apology rescinded. Frost reiterated the position in May.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -stalemate
I can't see on that link where Frost threatened to walk away from negotiations

BoE's Andrew Bailey tells UK banks to up preparations for no-deal Brexit
Wednesday 3 June 2020 11:44 am
https://www.cityam.com/boes-andrew-bail ... al-brexit/
Last edited by Anonymous 1 on Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
piquant

Post by piquant »

bimboman wrote:

I'm not sure if that represents a wilful or accidental misunderstanding on your part
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

piquant wrote:
bimboman wrote:

I'm not sure if that represents a wilful or accidental misunderstanding on your part

You’re aware that the 170 billion in the Bloomberg article was referenced to nominal GDP?
I like haggis

Post by I like haggis »

So the sign of British freedom resulted in over 200 jobs lost to t
Europe.

https://twitter.com/MattGarrahan/status ... 75779?s=20
message #2527204

Post by message #2527204 »

I like haggis wrote:So the sign of British freedom resulted in over 200 jobs lost to t
Europe.

There were european procurement rules at the time the tender was made, and the bid was 20% cheaper. The jobs will move elsewhere in the UK rather than being "lost to Europe"
terryfinch

Post by terryfinch »

The United Kingdom announced on Wednesday it would pursue accession to a revamped version of the Trans-Pacific Partnership.

"Today we’re announcing our intent to pursue accession to CPTPP, one of the world’s largest free trading areas," Trade Secretary Liz Truss said.

The British government said joining CPTPP would help the UK overcome the challenge posed by the coronavirus and would help diversity its trade links.

The Comprehensive and Progressive Agreement for Trans-Pacific Partnership (CPTPP) is a free trade agreement that links Canada and 10 other countries: Australia, Brunei, Chile, Japan, Malaysia, Mexico, New Zealand, Peru, Singapore and Vietnam.

Once fully implemented, the 11 countries will form a trading bloc representing 495 million consumers and 13.5% of global GDP, according to the Canadian government. If the United Kingdom were to join, that share of global GDP would rise to about 16%.
DAC_

Post by DAC_ »

I like haggis wrote:So the sign of British freedom resulted in over 200 jobs lost to t
Europe.

Unilever are no longer moving their HQ to Rotterdam and will stay in the UK.
merry!

Post by merry! »

terryfinch wrote:The United Kingdom announced on Wednesday it would pursue accession to a revamped version of the Trans-Pacific Partnership.

"Today we’re announcing our intent to pursue accession to CPTPP, one of the world’s largest free trading areas," Trade Secretary Liz Truss said.

The British government said joining CPTPP would help the UK overcome the challenge posed by the coronavirus and would help diversity its trade links.

The Comprehensive and Progressive Agreement for Trans-Pacific Partnership (CPTPP) is a free trade agreement that links Canada and 10 other countries: Australia, Brunei, Chile, Japan, Malaysia, Mexico, New Zealand, Peru, Singapore and Vietnam.

Once fully implemented, the 11 countries will form a trading bloc representing 495 million consumers and 13.5% of global GDP, according to the Canadian government. If the United Kingdom were to join, that share of global GDP would rise to about 16%.
not familiar with the trans pacific partnership, but that's a very interesting move.

tpp, and talking keenly to usa, will hopefully make brussels finally realise we'd like a deal with them, but we don't need one.
DAC_

Post by DAC_ »

https://www.express.co.uk/finance/city/ ... t-business
The International Institute for Management Development (IMD) said Brexit may have given the UK a competitive edge, creating the “sentiment of a business-friendly environment in the making”. The UK ranked 20th on the business efficiency measure, compared to 31st least year.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

DAC_ wrote:
Europe.

Unilever are no longer moving their HQ to Rotterdam and will stay in the UK.

Studiously ignored by the doom merchants. Along with the Nissan news as well.
DAC_

Post by DAC_ »

I thought Nissan's news was amazing.
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

terryfinch wrote:The United Kingdom announced on Wednesday it would pursue accession to a revamped version of the Trans-Pacific Partnership.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

That would be the NZ that the British insisted on including a Level Playing Field clause in their stgrategy for a FTA ?

Good luck with That !

https://twitter.com/joncstone?ref_src=t ... page%3D601
DAC_

Post by DAC_ »

Randomly, is everyone in the UK and I aware that almost every single bag of salad you buy in the supermarket has been washed in Chlorine?
piquant

Post by piquant »

It's not on a par with our potential losses if we end up with a hard Brexit, but it's one of a possible number of steps we could take to try and limit the damage. I've not seen any reports for a couple of years as to where the countries already in the TPP are on the UK joining, probably the Aussies are on the keener end providing actually we come with less ties to the EU, whereas Japan would probably be happier if we retain strong links to the EU and if we're more distant they might be favourites to push for a deal that we'd probably take but hardly love.
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

DAC_ wrote:Randomly, is everyone in the UK and I aware that almost every single bag of salad you buy in the supermarket has been washed in Chlorine?
So has every child who's ever swam in a swimming pool, also randomly.

Your point ?
DAC_

Post by DAC_ »

Let's cut through the bollocks here lads and be honest.

At the moment the UK is telling the EU to go f*ck itself and the ball is in their court. If they don't bring something decent, it'll be told to go fudge itself again. As it should have been from the start.

German contributions are going up by 42% and they won't have free access to the UKmarket. Best of luck with that.

End of.
message #2527204

camroc1 wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

That would be the NZ that the British insisted on including a Level Playing Field clause in their stgrategy for a FTA ?

Good luck with That !

https://twitter.com/joncstone?ref_src=t ... page%3D601
Well, if you totally ignore the first and second sentences, then the highlighted one might agree with you.

Are there whole remoaner areas of the twattershpere?
sorCrer

Post by sorCrer »

DAC_ wrote:Randomly, is everyone in the UK and I aware that almost every single bag of salad you buy in the supermarket has been washed in Chlorine?

DACCIE!!! :o
DAC_

Post by DAC_ »

sorCrer wrote:

DACCIE!!! :o
:lol: :thumbup:
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

piquant wrote:

It's not on a par with our potential losses if we end up with a hard Brexit, but it's one of a possible number of steps we could take to try and limit the damage. I've not seen any reports for a couple of years as to where the countries already in the TPP are on the UK joining, probably the Aussies are on the keener end providing actually we come with less ties to the EU, whereas Japan would probably be happier if we retain strong links to the EU and if we're more distant they might be favourites to push for a deal that we'd probably take but hardly love.

The no deal exit remember is less than 1/2 of 1% on GDP over 15 years.

“Par”.
La soule

Post by La soule »

DAC_ wrote:Let's cut through the bollocks here lads and be honest.

At the moment the UK is telling the EU to go f*ck itself and the ball is in their court. If they don't bring something decent, it'll be told to go fudge itself again. As it should have been from the start.

German contributions are going up by 42% and they won't have free access to the UKmarket. Best of luck with that.

End of.
:shock:

:lol: :lol:
Rinkals

Post by Rinkals »

Because the ill-treatment of lettuce is a concern?
DAC_

Post by DAC_ »

Rinkals wrote:
The chickens are dead when they wash them in a chlorine solution, Rinkals.
Rinkals

Post by Rinkals »

DAC_ wrote:
Rinkals wrote:
We've been over this repeatedly.

The reason they have to be washed in chlorine is not about whether they are dead but about the conditions they were kept in while alive or even dead on the floor of their battery cage.
Mick Mannock

Post by Mick Mannock »

Rinkals wrote:
DAC_ wrote:
Rinkals wrote:

The reason they have to be washed in chlorine is not about whether they are dead but about the conditions they were kept in while alive or even dead on the floor of their battery cage.
Which does not sound as catchy as chlorinated chicken.
DAC_

Post by DAC_ »

Rinkals wrote:
DAC_ wrote:
Rinkals wrote:

So why do they do the same with salad? Why, for processing......
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

DAC_ wrote:
Rinkals wrote:
DAC_ wrote:
Rinkals wrote:

Even you wouldn't fancy tossing dirty salad
Rinkals

Post by Rinkals »

DAC_ wrote:
Rinkals wrote:
DAC_ wrote:
Rinkals wrote:

You do wonder....

Water treatment uses chlorine because water can be contaminated by sewage including condoms, feces, urine, dead and decomposing animals, etc. and chlorine is used to treat the bacteria which might give you a tummy bug or worse.

So it is with battery chickens.

If their health, eating and confinement conditions are not regulated (my understanding is that the industry in the US is rather lax on animal welfare) then the produce needs to treated for safe human consumption.

Rather like the lettuce, but without the concern for it's wellbeing.
message #2527204

Rinkals wrote:
DAC_ wrote:
Rinkals wrote:
DAC_ wrote:

You do wonder....

Water treatment uses chlorine because water can be contaminated by sewage including condoms, feces, urine, dead and decomposing animals, etc. and chlorine is used to treat the bacteria which might give you a tummy bug or worse.

So it is with battery chickens.

If their health, eating and confinement conditions are not regulated (my understanding is that the industry in the US is rather lax on animal welfare) then the produce needs to treated for safe human consumption.

Rather like the lettuce.
Are they special chicken condoms, or regular human ones?
shereblue

Post by shereblue »

merry! wrote:

not familiar with the trans pacific partnership, but that's a very interesting move.

tpp, and talking keenly to usa, will hopefully make brussels finally realise we'd like a deal with them, but we don't need one.
I had thought we were going for more tailored trade relationships rather than the discredited EU one size fits all model?

We might not exactly slot in with this Trans Pacific Partnership, but I expect the Partnership is salivating at the addition of the Pitcairns and St Helena. Or do we expect it to be re-invented around UK needs, becoming re-named the British East India Trading Partnership?

Nice one, Lizzie.
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

I see Boris was exulting in the benefits of a UK - Aus FTA the other day. According to him the big win would be the UK being able to import Tim Tams. I kid you not.
shereblue

Post by shereblue »

message #2527204 wrote:
Europe.

There were european procurement rules at the time the tender was made, and the bid was 20% cheaper. The jobs will move elsewhere in the UK rather than being "lost to Europe"
I get it. We can look forward to paying 20% more just to retain the same employment levels?

I'd hazard a guess that those jobs will never return, with Malta or Sri Lanka more likely if De la Rue regain a contract in the future.

Will bow to experts. Unsure of your creds, Message?
The Man Without Fear

Post by The Man Without Fear »

camroc1 wrote:I see Boris was exulting in the benefits of a UK - Aus FTA the other day. According to him the big win would be the UK being able to import Tim Tams. I kid you not.
He'd eaten the kipper for breakfast, this was to go with is cup of tea.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

camroc1 wrote:I see Boris was exulting in the benefits of a UK - Aus FTA the other day. According to him the big win would be the UK being able to import Tim Tams. I kid you not.
I'm no fan of Boris but without looking that up I know no one reading or watching it would have taken whatever it was he said about Tim Tams seriously. You just make yourself look like even more of a cunt with that suggestion. the guy does enough genuine shit you can slag him off for.
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

Anonymous. wrote:
I'm no fan of Boris but without looking that up I know no one reading or watching it would have taken whatever it was he said about Tim Tams seriously. You just make yourself look like even more of a cunt with that suggestion. the guy does enough genuine shit you can slag him off for.
Look up the video, in it he also points out that you will be able to export marmite to OZ, and they will be able to export vegemite to the UK, wait for it..............without tarrifs ! :nod:

Win- Win all around.

https://twitter.com/anthpcox/status/127 ... 80554?s=20
easyray

Post by easyray »

Anonymous. wrote:

Boris extolling the virtues of Tim Tam on national TV (which he hopes no one will take seriously).
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

Those "worldbeating" UK trade negotiators have done it again.........

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 71421.html

It's like watching a new episode of Mr. Magoo.
clementinfrance

Post by clementinfrance »

Anonymous. wrote:

Great!

The UK has a PM doing "comedy" announcements concerning FTA's that nobody should take seriously.

Exactly the sort of chap you need to get a country through leaving the biggest trading block on the planet whilst simultaneously managing the impact of a global pandemic...