OFFICIAL Brexit Thread

All things Rugby
TranceNRG

Re: OFFICIAL Brexit Thread

Post by TranceNRG »

iarmhiman wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:02 pm
TranceNRG wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:22 pm
Brexit talks could go into their crucial "tunnel" phase as early as Monday, officials believe – in latest sign a trade deal is moving within reach.

Michel Barnier and his team arrived in London on Thursday evening by train and have been locked in intensive talks with their UK counterparts since Friday.

Negotiators are aiming to strike a last-minute free trade agreement to avoid a no-deal Brexit that would inflict tariffs on goods and chaos at ports when Britain leaves the single market at the end of the year.

In an early sign that both sides are now taking proceedings seriously, the two teams have informally agreed to stand down their media operations over the weekend's discussions.
I reckon there will be a trade deal agreed by the end of the month or start of next month. Pretty good negotiation tactics by Boris, Lord Frost and the excellent lawyers from the UK team.
Anyone willing to bet there will be a no deal?

At the start we were told by EU lover types that EU had all the cards in the negotiations and UK would just cave in but so far what we've seen is both sides making compromises. EU haven't been able to get everything they wanted.
If it was a small country like Ireland, Netherlands, etc negotiating with them, I have no doubt that EU would have bullied them to accept all their demands.
It will be bare bones Trance. UK wont get unfettered access to single market, there will still be delays in ports.

UK will win on fishing, EU will get an independent arbitrator on state aid which is good for EU.
I disagree. It will cover most things. Of course the access won't be the same and there will be some delays because we won't be in customs union but I think the disruptions will be minimal over time if the sort of FTA UK want is agreed.
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

Is this still going. Well done lads. Keep it up :thumbup:
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

TranceNRG wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:19 pm
Brexit talks could go into their crucial "tunnel" phase as early as Monday, officials believe – in latest sign a trade deal is moving within reach.

Michel Barnier and his team arrived in London on Thursday evening by train and have been locked in intensive talks with their UK counterparts since Friday.

Negotiators are aiming to strike a last-minute free trade agreement to avoid a no-deal Brexit that would inflict tariffs on goods and chaos at ports when Britain leaves the single market at the end of the year.

In an early sign that both sides are now taking proceedings seriously, the two teams have informally agreed to stand down their media operations over the weekend's discussions.
I reckon there will be a trade deal agreed by the end of the month or start of next month. Pretty good negotiation tactics by Boris, Lord Frost and the excellent lawyers from the UK team.

At the start we were told by EU lover types that EU had all the cards in the negotiations and UK would just cave in but so far what we've seen is both sides making compromises. EU haven't been able to get everything they wanted.
If it was a small country like Ireland, Netherlands, etc negotiating with them, I have no doubt that EU would have bullied them to accept all their demands.
It will be bare bones Trance. UK wont get unfettered access to single market, there will still be delays in ports.

UK will win on fishing, EU will get an independent arbitrator on state aid which is good for EU.
I disagree. It will cover most things. Of course the access won't be the same and there will be some delays because we won't be in customs union but I think the disruptions will be minimal over time if the sort of FTA UK want is agreed.
You wont be in a customs union, single market and wont have freedom of movement. Even with a FTA agreement there will be delays in ports. The FTA may reduce tariffs but not all the other customs checks like entry/exit declarations. If you think things will carry on as normal you're living in cloud cukoo land
Last edited by iarmhiman on Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ovalball

Post by ovalball »

Certainly looking much more promising - good news for both sides if some sort of deal can be agreed.

Fingers crossed.
mdaclarke

Post by mdaclarke »

iarmhiman wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:25 pm

You wont be in a customs union, single market and wont have freedom of movement. Even with a FTA agreement there will be delays in ports. The FTA may reduce tariffs but not all the other customs checks like entry/exit declarations. If you think things will carry on as normal you're living in cloud cukoo land
Agreed, but that is the whole point of leaving. You can't leave a club but retain all the benefits. Likewise the members of a club can't expect a former member to remain bound by all the rules.
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

So the EU-Japan deal contains 25 Japanese agrifood tariff-rate quotas; the UK-Japan deal contains 10, in which Japanese importers can retrospectively claim tariff-relief for food imports from UK, so long as EU imports haven't maxed-out their respective quotas.
Just got this from Twitter.

Interesting. I'm sure there is more to it than that but if the EU max out their quotas to Japan, that could restrict UK quotas to Japan in their trade deal. Wow. I'm just reading verbatim from a comment on Twitter

Another comment on that same twitter thread
Sorry, are you saying we have agreed to maintain EU quotas?

Why on earth would we agree to this?

https://twitter.com/SamuelMarcLowe/stat ... 71968?s=09
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

That's pretty funny
piquant

Post by piquant »

Surely it has to be bare bones at this stage? If they've actually nailed down enough detail to get something more impactful in place why on earth are they keeping what that is a secret with all the problems in not having that communicated?
Hellraiser

Post by Hellraiser »

Do you ever get tired of being wrong?
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Hellraiser wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:29 pm

Do you ever get tired of being wrong?
Forget the bit about what the EU would do to small countries but I'm pretty sure he is right about the rest of it
shereblue

Post by shereblue »

At the start we were told by EU lover types that
EU had all the cards in the negotiations and UK would just cave in but so far what we've seen is both sides making compromises. EU haven't been able to get everything they wanted.
Holding "all the cards" was the Brexitist pledge. Michael Gove is probably a hero of yours. At least give him the credit. :roll:
merry!

Post by merry! »

iarmhiman wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:38 pm
ovalball wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:33 pm
iarmhiman wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:26 pm
ovalball wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:23 pm

It's quite funny how the Irish posters keep harking back to the days of the Empire. We really don't give it a 2nd thought. Mention the Empire to most of us and we'd think you were referring to Star Wars..........
It's still deep in the English psyche. Where else do those massive feelings of superiority and entitlement come from?
That's just you're inferiority complexes distorting your view of us.
Not sure about that. I have an English brother in law and his parents are cùnts . If you want to know what they asked my parents on their visit over here one evening I'll tell you. Nigel Lawson has on record said the Irish need to know their place. Posters on here like Merry have even said that the English feel better than other nations by birthright. English exceptionalism has been well documented.
:?

and? what's wrong with that?

:lol:
Sawtooth the Beaver

Post by Sawtooth the Beaver »

You are from Yorkshire
merry!

Post by merry! »

by the grace of god, aye.

best fish and chips, best ale and best cricket in england.
La soule

Post by La soule »

I heard yorshire was a total dump full of weirdos but i am really sorry to read that merryl
Sawtooth the Beaver

Tetleys make tea. Just as well their beer is crap.
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

So this is what it comes down to. Squeaky bum time https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... t-decision
shereblue

Post by shereblue »

merry! wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:58 pm by the grace of god, aye.

best fish and chips, best ale and best cricket in england.
Nowhere more ignorantly racist than the Western Terrace after lunch
shereblue

Post by shereblue »

"excellent lawyers" who failed to understand the Withdrawal Agreement? :roll:
shereblue

Post by shereblue »

"excellent lawyers" who failed to understand the Withdrawal Agreement? :roll:
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

Yeah only Johnson is waiting for the US election to conclude :roll:
shereblue

Post by shereblue »

On the subject of English scumminess, who can forget Priti's exhortation to use the threat of food shortages to force Ireland to relinquish its backstop guarantees.

As in other spheres of life, converts like her, and Trance for that matter, are prone to zealotry.

Whither English understatement?
Sawtooth the Beaver

There will be some turbulence
ChipSpike

Post by ChipSpike »

shereblue wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:19 am On the subject of English scumminess, who can forget Priti's exhortation to use the threat of food shortages to force Ireland to relinquish its backstop guarantees.

As in other spheres of life, converts like her, and Trance for that matter, are prone to zealotry.

Much the same as Barniers threat to blockade food exports from the UK, and therefore into NI, wasn't it?
Sawtooth the Beaver

Johnson, on the other hand is all hyperbole and no trousers.
lorcanoworms

Post by lorcanoworms »

Sawtooth the Beaver wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:27 pm Tetleys make tea. Just as well their beer is crap.
Is Tetleys gone to Poland? or is that Twinings?
message #2527204

Post by message #2527204 »

EverReady wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:15 am Yeah only Johnson is waiting for the US election to conclude :roll:
:lol: As if. It's Boris' unsubtle threat of a US deal that has kept BArnier at the table. It's only in the EU's interest to wait.
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

message #2527204 wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:40 am
EverReady wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:15 am Yeah only Johnson is waiting for the US election to conclude :roll:
:lol: As if. It's Boris' unsubtle threat of a US deal that has kept BArnier at the table. It's only in the EU's interest to wait.
Ehhh ok then. This was always a wait and see exercise by both parties. This was known 6 months ago it all hinged on the election. All the insider stuff that Biden doesn't like Brexiteerism is laughable- the dogs in the streets know he doesn't like Johnson so it all hangs on matters outside your control. Trump gets elected and there is a chance we'll you are in the driving seat. He doesn't and you are fücked. I am also aware bimbo will still try and sell it as a win as he is on the troll 24/7
clementinfrance

Post by clementinfrance »

Not strictly Brexit related but yet another u-turn from the UK govt regarding immigration.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/migrant ... 72833.html

Turns out they have realised that cheap foreign labour IS what they want.
Sawtooth the Beaver wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:30 am Johnson (and Patel), on the other hand are all hyperbole and no trousers.
:nod:
message #2527204

Post by message #2527204 »

EverReady wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:45 am
message #2527204 wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:40 am
Ehhh ok then. This was always a wait and see exercise by both parties. This was known 6 months ago it all hinged on the election. All the insider stuff that Biden doesn't like Brexiteerism is laughable- the dogs in the streets know he doesn't like Johnson so it all hangs on matters outside your control. Trump gets elected and there is a chance we'll you are in the driving seat. He doesn't and you are fücked. I am also aware bimbo will still try and sell it as a win as he is on the troll 24/7
I'm not sure why you think it's so important? We're not going to allow the EU to stop British goods going to NI - whoever is in the white house. We're not going to get a US deal without years of negotitions, and the success or failure of Brexit isn't dependent on one.
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

Delusional. I suppose the whole thing has been an exercise in that. Anyway crack on
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

ChipSpike wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:30 am
shereblue wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:19 am On the subject of English scumminess, who can forget Priti's exhortation to use the threat of food shortages to force Ireland to relinquish its backstop guarantees.

Much the same as Barniers threat to blockade food exports from the UK, and therefore into NI, wasn't it?
Not really, one was a public statement by a minister and the other a claim by the biggest bunch of shysters and gangsters to occupy the Government of the U.K.

An achievement given the world knows you as shameless lying scum
ChipSpike

Post by ChipSpike »

Mullet 2 wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:12 am
ChipSpike wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:30 am

Not really, one was a public statement by a minister and the other a claim by the biggest bunch of shysters and gangsters to occupy the Government of the U.K.

An achievement given the world knows you as shameless lying scum
Not really, the EU chief negotiator did use the UK third party country listing status as a food exporter, as a threat. Otherwise why did he mention it?
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

Yes really
YOYO

Post by YOYO »

Shitty Priti made an actual threat the crazy bitch. Barnier was referring to legal issues that could arise if Britain could not be listed as a 3rd country for food imports to the EU single market (which NI will still be part of after Dec 31st). Food from UK couldn’t be imported to any country in the EU single market due to the UK not providing the details on them being listed as 3rd country for food imports.

How about read about it from a proper legitimate news source.
https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.rte.ie/amp/1165612/
The working paper, seen by RTÉ News, states: "Michel Barnier clearly stated that the EU is not refusing to list the UK as a third country for food imports.

"To be listed, the EU needs to know in full what a country's rules are, including for imports. This assessment is an objective process and the same for all countries.

"If the future UK rules on food imports fulfill all applicable conditions, then the European Union would proceed with the listing of the United Kingdom as a third country for these purposes as of 1 January 2021.

"However, up to now, we do not have full clarity from the UK government regarding its future regime, in particular for imports into the UK."
Then read your shit lying truth twisting media.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.express ... -Boris/amp
THE EU has threatened to block key food exports from mainland Britain to Northern Ireland in a bid to assert control over the crumbling post-Brexit trade talks, it has been revealed.
ChipSpike

Post by ChipSpike »

Its a clear threat from Barnier. Which I don't have a problem with, by the way, he's only doing his job.
YOYO

Post by YOYO »

ChipSpike wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:27 pm Its a clear threat from Barnier. Which I don't have a problem with, by the way, he's only doing his job.
Read my RTE new article not the Evening Standard propaganda. Your poor guys brains are melted from have few reliables news sources. You sup it like it’s fact. Very sad to see. Brain washing.
ChipSpike

Post by ChipSpike »

YOYO

Post by YOYO »

ChipSpike wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:33 pm I'll see your RTE with my BBC

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-54117766
Hold on, I haven’t read your article yet, but before I do I want to let you know the BBC is controlled by the Tory government. BBC hasn’t a patch on RTE when it comes to truth and integrity.
ovalball

Post by ovalball »

YOYO wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:34 pm
ChipSpike wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:33 pm I'll see your RTE with my BBC

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-54117766
Hold on, I haven’t read your article yet, but before I do I want to let you know the BBC is controlled by the Tory government. BBC hasn’t a patch on RTE when it comes to truth and integrity.
:lol: :lol: :lol: