OFFICIAL Brexit Thread

All things Rugby
La soule

Re: OFFICIAL Brexit Thread

Post by La soule »

terryfinch wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:39 pm I spent many years working for a large global firm. A few times a year we would be sent to US for training courses with folk from all over the world. Party animals were UK, Aussies, Nordics, Germans and Dutch. Americans would look on, bemused. Spanish, Italians and South American’s would form their own group. French would sit in the corner looking miserable, talking to no one.
French probably pissed off because of that English bloke just puked on him, completely pissed while it is not even 19h and having spilled the bottles of wine on the floor when collapsing.
DAC_

Post by DAC_ »

La soule wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:26 pm
terryfinch wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:39 pm I spent many years working for a large global firm. A few times a year we would be sent to US for training courses with folk from all over the world. Party animals were UK, Aussies, Nordics, Germans and Dutch. Americans would look on, bemused. Spanish, Italians and South American’s would form their own group. French would sit in the corner looking miserable, talking to no one.
French probably pissed off because of that English bloke just puked on him, completely pissed while it is not even 19h and having spilled the bottles of wine on the floor when collapsing.
Or offended that no one wanted to order in raclette.
La soule

Post by La soule »

DAC_ wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:32 pm
You fuckers :x :x
backrow

Post by backrow »

La soule wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:35 pm
At least France hates the Uk but has decent food you can order in.
DAC_

Post by DAC_ »

backrow wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:39 pm
Don't be fooled by the French, they really love their junk food, they would just rather pretend that the whole world don't know this.
backrow

Post by backrow »

DAC_ wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:42 pm

Don't be fooled by the French, they really love their junk food, they would just rather pretend that the whole world don't know this.
French junk food like Quick is awful - just no need to when the plat de jour in some little bistro is invariably fantastic
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

YOYO wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:59 pm

Good Burger Kings?

More a five guys man myself.
backrow

Post by backrow »

bimboman wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:01 pm

Good Burger Kings?

Same as Mrs B then yep
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

backrow wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:08 pm
bimboman wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:01 pm

Good Burger Kings?

Same as Mrs B then yep
:lol:
message #2527204

Post by message #2527204 »

backrow wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:54 pm

French junk food like Quick is awful - just no need to when the plat de jour in some little bistro is invariably fantastic
The French have taken western fast food and moulded it to their own culture. The only place where a Maccy D will take 1/2 hour to cook and still turn up without frites.
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

Mick Mannock wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:37 pm
DAC_ wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:18 am France just broke the European record for a trade deficit, some $84 billion.

Not sure how that works with higher productivity.
Le Pen might win this time.

France the first to quit the Euro?
Coming back to this. DAC, do you equate a country's trade deficit with its people's productivity?

Mick, does trade deficit work for you as an indicator of people's disappointment with their government, or may be of the state of ruin of a country ?
The Optimist

Post by The Optimist »

shereblue

Post by shereblue »

TheFrog wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:31 pm
DAC_ wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:18 am France just broke the European record for a trade deficit, some $84 billion.

Coming back to this. DAC, do you equate a country's trade deficit with its people's productivity?

Mick, does trade deficit work for you as an indicator of people's disappointment with their government, or may be of the state of ruin of a country ?
Decades on, Anglos like MM and DAC, still pinning their hypersensitive national identity on a Le Pen win and the demise of the Euro. :yawn:

If only they knew how comparatively little the average Frenchman or continental European felt the need to compare themselves with Little Brittin.
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

Twitter tells me Ireland are looking at getting dicked on the Brexit bailout fund and tax harmonisation is back on the table, indirectly via uncle Joe in the big house.
Mick Mannock

Post by Mick Mannock »

shereblue wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:50 pm

Decades on, Anglos like MM and DAC, still pinning their hypersensitive national identity on a Le Pen win and the demise of the Euro. :yawn:

If only they knew how comparatively little the average Frenchman or continental European felt the need to compare themselves with Little Brittin.
You are a liar, little man.

I do not have any great wish for a Le Pen win. That is entirely the business of the French people.

As for the Euro, it does not matter what I want. Whatever happens will happen.

It would be a pleasant change if you ceased expressing your inadequacies by lying.
Gospel

Post by Gospel »

The Optimist wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:49 am Moggmentum
It was a terrible comedy show to be fair. Not surprised the BBC canned it.
shereblue

Post by shereblue »

Mick Mannock wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:55 pm
shereblue wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:50 pm

You are a liar, little man.

I do not have any great wish for a Le Pen win. That is entirely the business of the French people.

As for the Euro, it does not matter what I want. Whatever happens will happen.

It would be a pleasant change if you ceased expressing your inadequacies by lying.
In the event of a tiebreak, the competition loser will be determined by their completion of the following tiebreaker:

I don't want Le Pen to win or the Euro to crumble. The reason I can't stop myself repeatedly posting about these prospects is because..........
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

No response?
piquant

Post by piquant »

piquant wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:20 am
bimboman wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:48 am
piquant wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:30 am What's that on the Horizon? ah a cut to science and investment

Another terrific cock up from team Brexit, or HMG if you prefer

Yep, absolutely nothing to do with the 400 billion spending on the pandemic. :thumbup:

(Also probably made up).

That's a point, but seeing as they've spaffed some decent chunks of that money up the wall on the businesses of their friend and families it's still a bad point.

When they said they'd protect the Horizon budget I don't think we envisaged them making payment for it from the science budget, not unless the science budget was backfilled with the money that used to go into the EU budgetary contributions, which they haven't done. Okay they said they were going to spend the £350 million a week on the NHS instead, but they can't even claim to have done that. Well they can claim, but it would be somewhat deceitful or if being nice show they don't understand accounting on a basic level.

Also this is going to lose us more in investments into the UK than it costs us to bloody well do in the first place, and we then miss out on some of the industrial potential of the outcomes of said research. It's barking mad, and it runs contrary to the rhetoric around global Britain. And it means some researchers who've just spent the last year working 16 hour days doing research into Covid will now as a thanks be fired, so let's hope we don't need them again.

Having criticised HMG for failing to fund science spending in saying they'd meet the Horizon spend out of the science budget and not general spend they have now found the cash, or at least they've found the case for one year. And that's good, it's not what it should be, but it's better than what they were saying until now.

It's a daft way to go about allowing people to plan, we've already missed out on some projects because we unable to commit, and in only extending funding for one year that will not allow for commitments down the line. Much better if HMG had a coherent strategy rather than continuing to try and get away with a whack-a-mole approach and even then doing the least they consider they can get away with issue by issue.

There is even with the backfill for one year's Horizon spend still a big shortage coming in the science spend, but much of that is down to the pandemic, to a reduction in charitable donations, to some of donations still in place going to say the NHS rather than medical charities. There's a question here how much HMG should be stepping up to cover this, but that is a very different problem to them not properly funding the Horizon spend. And there's a question about the % spend on research, even if we got to pre-pandemic levels that's still rather shit compared to leading nations.

Still, overall the position today is better than it was last week.
Mick Mannock

Post by Mick Mannock »

TheFrog wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:31 pm

No response?
Sorry I did not answer as it is irrelevant.

I only wrote that Le Pen might win, and asked if France might quit the Euro.
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

Mick Mannock wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:41 pm
TheFrog wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:31 pm

No response?
Sorry I did not answer as it is irrelevant.

I only wrote that Le Pen might win, and asked if France might quit the Euro.
Why did you write this in response to a message mentioning France record trade balance deficit then?

What was the relevance of your message to the discussion and what was your reasoning?
Mick Mannock

Post by Mick Mannock »

WTF are you actually asking?

All I wrote is that Le Pen might win this time.

Of course, she might not.

Do you object to me writing that?

I start to see authoritarian traits in you.
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

Mick Mannock wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:53 pm WTF are you actually asking?

All I wrote is that Le Pen might win this time.

Of course, she might not.

Do you object to me writing that?

I start to see authoritarian traits in you.
You quoted a post on the French trade deficit and commented by mentioning Le Pen could win this time and France leave the Euro.

Usually, when posts are being quoted, it is because we want to respond to them, or link our own message to that quoted message.

As simple as that. You can write what you want and I object to nothing (and anyway, you wouldn't care if I did and that would be fair enough).

I am just curious to understand why you made this link.

But if you tell me you had no intention of linking your statement on Le Pen and the Euro to DAC'S post on the French trade deficit, and that you are just randomly quoting messages when you type, fair enough. I'll be aware and won't try to interpret your post in the light of the post you referred to.
Mick Mannock

Post by Mick Mannock »

Do what you want. I don't care.
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

Mick Mannock wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:09 pm Do what you want. I don't care.
Pretty weak.
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

DragsterDriver wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:53 pm Twitter tells me Ireland are looking at getting dicked on the Brexit bailout fund and tax harmonisation is back on the table, indirectly via uncle Joe in the big house.
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1379 ... 68708?s=21

Looking real.
message #2527204

DragsterDriver wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:55 pm
DragsterDriver wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:53 pm Twitter tells me Ireland are looking at getting dicked on the Brexit bailout fund and tax harmonisation is back on the table, indirectly via uncle Joe in the big house.

Looking real.
They don't even have the power to harmonise it across the states do they? But they want the world to help them out. Sure Chyna will be desperate to help.
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

message #2527204 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:10 pm

Looking real.
They don't even have the power to harmonise it across the states do they? But they want the world to help them out. Sure Chyna will be desperate to help.
They’ll have eu support. It’s a popular policy.
La soule

Post by La soule »

Have you, again, been posting about the demise of the € and France leaving the EU?

Years of hoping have got you nowhere but who knows.
message #2527204

La soule wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:02 pm
Have you, again, been posting about the demise of the € and France leaving the EU?

Says the man who has spent the last 5 years predicting the doom of the UK. :lol:
Mick Mannock

Post by Mick Mannock »

I have not been hoping, you paranoid fool.
La soule

Post by La soule »

Mick Mannock wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:13 pm

I have not been hoping, you paranoid fool.
What?

Do you pray?
Trostan

Post by Trostan »

Looking real.
Guess we are just lucky that Intel agreed the next €4 billion (out of 15 billion) investment in Ireland with the 6,000 construction jobs and the 1500 permanent jobs, before you tipped them off.
Bad timing.
mikeyboy123

Post by mikeyboy123 »

Don't they just. Their supermarkets are full of just as much junk as anywhere.
shereblue

Post by shereblue »

YOYO wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:24 pm
YOYO wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:30 pm British pensioners not liking being a 3rd country in the EU.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/14180 ... rexit-deal
They did what YOYO?

https://twitter.com/hackneycyclist/stat ... 16644?s=21

:lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Petej

Post by Petej »

DragsterDriver wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:52 am

Looking real.
Yep. Think there is a general discontent with neo liberalism. Does anyone really look at the likes of facebook, twitter, amazon, google etc and not think they are a bunch of arseholes with too much power?

The brexit voters (from the midlands) I know were a lot nearer Corbyn economically than rees-mogg though they would never vote for Corbyn.
mdaclarke

Post by mdaclarke »

Petej wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:19 am

Looking real.
Yep. Think there is a general discontent with neo liberalism. Does anyone really look at the likes of facebook, twitter, amazon, google etc and not think they are a bunch of arseholes with too much power?

The brexit voters (from the midlands) I know were a lot nearer Corbyn economically than rees-mogg though they would never vote for Corbyn.
Agree economically but Corbyn is so far removed from them on social/cultural issues (immigration, patriotism, IRA, etc) that they will never ever vote for him.

The electoral sweet spot is to be left wing on economic issues and right wing on cultural/social issues
piquant

Post by piquant »

mdaclarke wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:19 pm

The electoral sweet spot is to be left wing on economic issues and right wing on cultural/social issues
National Socialists for the win!
message #2527204

YOYO wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:30 pm British pensioners not liking being a 3rd country in the EU.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/14180 ... rexit-deal
Has Shaun been deported again yet? :yawn:
paddyor

Post by paddyor »

Looking real.
This happens every 4 years.

https://twitter.com/SMTuffy/status/1379 ... 71716?s=20