Chat Forum
It is currently Sat May 30, 2020 8:31 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10887 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 265, 266, 267, 268, 269, 270, 271 ... 273  Next
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 4:30 pm 

The Commissions response to the UKs proposals on the NI protocol, from Tony Connolly.

https://twitter.com/tconnellyRTE/status ... 9147996160

tld;r We'll have a look and get back to you.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 4:51 pm 

Barnier reply to Frost.

In short, back in your box, and stick to our agreed agenda.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 4:59 pm 

Quote:
In short, back in your box, and stick to the agenda I want it to be. .

Fixed.

You notice of course the backtracking he’s made.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 5:02 pm 

That Barnier has just given Frost a diplomatic slap in the face instead of just threatening to ?

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 5:03 pm 

camroc1 wrote:
That Barnier has just given Frost a diplomatic slap in the face instead of just threatening to ?

What? You really do just see what you want. Barniers getting worried he’ll fail now and it’s palpable in that letter.

As for diplomacy I’m hoping Frost replies and publishes the reply as sent. Transparency being the enemy of the EU.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 5:13 pm 

bimboman wrote:
camroc1 wrote:

What? You really do just see what you want. Barniers getting worried he’ll fail now and it’s palpable in that letter.

As for diplomacy I’m hoping Frost replies and publishes the reply as sent. Transparency being the enemy of the EU.

Barking.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 5:14 pm 

I thought you were against transparency yesterday?

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 5:18 pm 

La soule wrote:
bimboman wrote:
camroc1 wrote:

Barking.

Detailed as always.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 5:19 pm 

shereblue wrote:
I thought you were against transparency yesterday?

Oh, I personally couldn’t give a shit. It’s a media game not one that affects us in anyway.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 5:21 pm 

bimboman wrote:
La soule wrote:
bimboman wrote:
camroc1 wrote:

Barking.

Detailed as always.

You start.

We have been waiting for years.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 5:21 pm 

bimboman wrote:
camroc1 wrote:

What do you think will happen if Barnier "fails", Bimbo ?

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 5:25 pm 

camroc1 wrote:
bimboman wrote:
camroc1 wrote:

They’ll be no deal. His mandate is to get a deal. Knowing the EU as we do though it probably means he’s in line to be commission president down the line.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 5:33 pm 

bimboman wrote:
camroc1 wrote:
bimboman wrote:
camroc1 wrote:

They’ll be no deal. His mandate is to get a deal. Knowing the EU as we do though it probably means he’s in line to be commission president down the line.

Why are you so mendacious ?

Barniers mandate is to get a deal in accordance with the WA and the Feb 2020 Council decision.

https://www.consilium.europa.eu/media/4 ... 3-en20.pdf

NOT a deal at any cost.

If a deal based on the Feb 2020 mandate is not achievable due to the UK spending their time counting flying unicorns, there will not be a deal. And the UK will find itself out on its arse on WTO terms until such time as they admit that unicorns don't exist.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 5:37 pm 

Why do you guys Bother ?

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 5:38 pm 

I’m fine with WTO, there’s an economic collapse coming he like of which we’ve not seen in 40 years. No deal / tariffs/ a bit of a delay at customs is an absolute irrelevance to that. If anything the clean break will concentrate and help business here. I think it helps “ever closer union “ for a while as well.

But let’s be clear no deal wasn’t ever that much of an issue, now who cares.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 5:40 pm 

Barnier using law enforcement data sharing as a weapon - let’s hope there isn’t another attack someplace that could have been prevented else he will have blood on his hands.
Of course , Belgian cops did waive through hebdo killers as it ‘wasn’t their problem’ so unsure what use if any Europlod are.

Looking like a no deal Brexit , enjoy that 1 trillion virus fund tax euro land now one of the rich boys has left the party , vlad, Don , Lexus et al are rubbing their hands.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 5:53 pm 

Laurent wrote:
Why do you guys Bother ?

This !

You can have more useful conversation with a really parrot; instead of just a Tory one.

At least Polly knows what it wants.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 5:54 pm 

Is Barnier seriously suggesting that he thinks the EU may be uncompetitive?

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 6:06 pm 

fishfoodie wrote:
Laurent wrote:
Why do you guys Bother ?

This !

You can have more useful conversation with a really parrot; instead of just a Tory one.

At least Polly knows what it wants.

Not all Tories are crackers

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 6:12 pm 

Laurent wrote:
Why do you guys Bother ?

Sometimes it just amuses. I doubt we're going to find sense from the loons, we're probably going to find all that missing anti-matter in the universe first

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 6:45 pm 

piquant wrote:
Laurent wrote:
Why do you guys Bother ?

Sometimes it just amuses. I doubt we're going to find sense from the loons, we're probably going to find all that missing anti-matter in the universe first

“The loons” theory is about to be tested. Report back next year.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 8:17 pm 

dpedin wrote:
Lorthern Nights wrote:
shereblue wrote:
Interesting.

Makes a whole lot more sense. :thumbup:

Raab-like, I'd always had this romantic image of the little guy, once squeezed out by Spanish super trawlers, returning to land his fish once again in Padstow. Whence it would be rushed up to Billingsgate market in time for lunchtime London fine-dining. Or the Scottish equivalent.

It's the thorniest of issues as the various political leaders have their own domestic agendas to deal with but in reality will have the smallest economic impact to the various countries as it is such a small part of the overall economy but the fishermen like the farmers are great in publicising their plight.

Where it will likely end up is the same access next year will be enjoyed by the EU fleet but we will be out of the CFP, therefter i expect the British government to wind back EU fleet access gradually. Even the EU is conceding they cant expect to stay as they are but they need to be seen to fight for their fishermen.

I go golfing in Le Touquet every year (I hope), just down from Boulougne. The town is small but have 4-5 huge fishmongers in the town centre. I see more UK fish and in particular Scottish shellfish on display there than I do in any town in the UK! They love our shell fish and get fresh deliveries every day. I reckon about half of the Fruit de Mer I've been served originates in Scotland - lobster, langoustine, clams, razor clams, oysters, etc. If we lose friction free access to the EU markets then the Scottish shell fish industry will be very hard hit. Cant see a Fruit de Mer being served up in local Wetherspoons instead of a cod and chips.

A huge amount of our seafood heads there before then being transported on throughout Europe so yes a hit will he had. I would caution how big a hit as there is only so much fish in the sea and tariffs will in reality only hit the French/European consumer. It’s thingS like health certs and catch certs that are a bigger hurdle and will likely crush the smaller guys as they just don’t have the admin capacity but that may be no bad thing as their factories tend have next to no standards and drag down the whole industry.

In short, disruption for sure but I do question how many processors will survive COVID lockdown as I reckon 3/4 of them are on their arse with no margin, shit facilities and no balance sheet to survive this so the clear out will happen anyway, Brexit is a side show. If it’s allowed to happen properly we will have a stronger industry at the other side. French consumer isn’t going anywhere and they are having to compete with the rest of the world as it gets richer, more populous against a finite resource.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 8:29 pm 

No deal it is

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 8:35 pm 

mdaclarke wrote:
No deal it is

:thumbup: .

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 8:37 pm 

camroc1 wrote:

Not that the tory trolls will see it that way.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 8:53 pm 

camroc1 wrote:

That is how the EU felchers will see it.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 11:23 pm 

bimboman wrote:
mdaclarke wrote:
No deal it is

Gotta admire the seamless journey from the easiest deal in history to no deal as if that was the plan all along.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 11:53 pm 

shereblue wrote:
bimboman wrote:
mdaclarke wrote:
No deal it is

Gotta admire the seamless journey from the easiest deal in history to no deal as if that was the plan all along.

Got to admire the contextless quotes used time and again.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 1:09 am 

shereblue wrote:
bimboman wrote:
mdaclarke wrote:
No deal it is

It always was; didn't you get the memo ?

Bimbo did; that's why he voted to remain. .... :roll:

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 1:21 am 

iarmhiman wrote:
I now find myself agreeing with the hardline Brexiteers.

It has to be no deal as there is zero trust.

better late than never. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 1:27 am 

camroc1 wrote:
bimboman wrote:
camroc1 wrote:
bimboman wrote:
camroc1 wrote:

Why are you so mendacious ?

Barniers mandate is to get a deal in accordance with the WA and the Feb 2020 Council decision.

https://www.consilium.europa.eu/media/4 ... 3-en20.pdf

NOT a deal at any cost.

If a deal based on the Feb 2020 mandate is not achievable due to the UK spending their time counting flying unicorns, there will not be a deal. And the UK will find itself out on its arse on WTO terms until such time as they admit that unicorns don't exist.

so, no deal is better than a bad deal. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 1:32 am 

amongst all the waffle in barnier's letter the most interesting line is "the eu and uk are equally sovereign". where does that leave the member states going forward?

as for his signature.. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 6:13 am 

bimboman wrote:
shereblue wrote:
bimboman wrote:
mdaclarke wrote:
No deal it is

Got to admire the contextless quotes used time and again.

Yes, I can see that you would find that tactic admirable.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 6:41 am 

merry! wrote:
amongst all the waffle in barnier's letter the most interesting line is "the eu and uk are equally sovereign". where does that leave the member states going forward?

F'me. In 50 years, the only time I've ever seen someone 'laugh' at another persons signature was in primary school.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 8:13 am 

sorCrer wrote:
merry! wrote:

F'me. In 50 years, the only time I've ever seen someone 'laugh' at another persons signature was in primary school.

you'll get over it.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 9:03 am 

sorCrer wrote:
merry! wrote:

In fairness quite a lot of people mock and laugh at Trump's efforts on such front

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 9:10 am 

Lorthern Nights wrote:
dpedin wrote:
Lorthern Nights wrote:
shereblue wrote:
Interesting.

Makes a whole lot more sense. :thumbup:

Raab-like, I'd always had this romantic image of the little guy, once squeezed out by Spanish super trawlers, returning to land his fish once again in Padstow. Whence it would be rushed up to Billingsgate market in time for lunchtime London fine-dining. Or the Scottish equivalent.

It's the thorniest of issues as the various political leaders have their own domestic agendas to deal with but in reality will have the smallest economic impact to the various countries as it is such a small part of the overall economy but the fishermen like the farmers are great in publicising their plight.

Where it will likely end up is the same access next year will be enjoyed by the EU fleet but we will be out of the CFP, therefter i expect the British government to wind back EU fleet access gradually. Even the EU is conceding they cant expect to stay as they are but they need to be seen to fight for their fishermen.

I go golfing in Le Touquet every year (I hope), just down from Boulougne. The town is small but have 4-5 huge fishmongers in the town centre. I see more UK fish and in particular Scottish shellfish on display there than I do in any town in the UK! They love our shell fish and get fresh deliveries every day. I reckon about half of the Fruit de Mer I've been served originates in Scotland - lobster, langoustine, clams, razor clams, oysters, etc. If we lose friction free access to the EU markets then the Scottish shell fish industry will be very hard hit. Cant see a Fruit de Mer being served up in local Wetherspoons instead of a cod and chips.

A huge amount of our seafood heads there before then being transported on throughout Europe so yes a hit will he had. I would caution how big a hit as there is only so much fish in the sea and tariffs will in reality only hit the French/European consumer. It’s thingS like health certs and catch certs that are a bigger hurdle and will likely crush the smaller guys as they just don’t have the admin capacity but that may be no bad thing as their factories tend have next to no standards and drag down the whole industry.

In short, disruption for sure but I do question how many processors will survive COVID lockdown as I reckon 3/4 of them are on their arse with no margin, shit facilities and no balance sheet to survive this so the clear out will happen anyway, Brexit is a side show. If it’s allowed to happen properly we will have a stronger industry at the other side. French consumer isn’t going anywhere and they are having to compete with the rest of the world as it gets richer, more populous against a finite resource.

Its potentially the perfect storm for many guys who rely on the export of shellfish etc to Euro market. Covid19 lock down, need to redesign facilities, potential disruption at the borders, additional paperwork, etc. I fear for the guys having to deal with the current shit storm and collapse of their markets and then have to deal with possible no deal fall out from a self imposed Brexit just as they see light at the tunnel. It will be too much for many in the industry to deal with. Shame.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 9:15 am 

UK fishermen were included in the lockdown ?

Irish fishermen and fish processing plants were included in the list of critical industries, like farmers and food processing, that were allowed to continue working, taking whatever restrictions they could, on board (ha !).

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 10:13 am 

camroc1 wrote:
UK fishermen were included in the lockdown ?

Irish fishermen and fish processing plants were included in the list of critical industries, like farmers and food processing, that were allowed to continue working, taking whatever restrictions they could, on board (ha !).

Sorry - I meant the impact of the lock down on their markets i.e. restaurants, etc. Badly worded.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 10:29 am 

piquant wrote:
sorCrer wrote:
merry! wrote:

In fairness quite a lot of people mock and laugh at Trump's efforts on such front

Never heard of that and don't see why. A persons mark can just be a cross.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10887 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 265, 266, 267, 268, 269, 270, 271 ... 273  Next