Chat Forum
It is currently Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:47 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12673 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 308, 309, 310, 311, 312, 313, 314 ... 317  Next
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:05 am 

Interesting piece from the NYT on the implications of a Trump loss in November on the UK.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/31/worl ... hnson.html

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:12 am 

camroc1 wrote:
Interesting piece from the NYT on the implications of a Trump loss in November on the UK.

Everything that supports your POV is interesting.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:14 am 

Mick Mannock wrote:
camroc1 wrote:

It's the New York Times, whose opinion probably represents that of educated America. Nothing to do with me, mate.

Last edited by camroc1 on Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:30 am 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.spec ... ritain/amp

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:55 am 

Ah bimbo me oul segocia. Wehr du been?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:28 pm 

camroc1 wrote:
Mick Mannock wrote:
camroc1 wrote:

It's the New York Times, whose opinion probably represents that of educated America. Nothing to do with me, mate.

Doesn't agree with what I think therefore cannot be regarded as valid [/mick]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:40 pm 

Rinkals wrote:
camroc1 wrote:
Mick Mannock wrote:
camroc1 wrote:

with :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:40 pm 

Mick Mannock wrote:
Rinkals wrote:
camroc1 wrote:
Mick Mannock wrote:
camroc1 wrote:

with :lol:

I have to admit, I wasn't expecting you to endorse that, but good on you for acknowledging it. :thumbup:

In other news, Huawei have threatened to withdraw 3bn quid of investment planned for the UK.

I'm pretty sure that Donald Trump (if he gets re-elected in November!) will reward Boris handsomely for his loyalty. (That was sarcasm, by the way)

Quote:
An op-ed attributed to Liu Xiaoming and published in the South China Morning Post this morning said: "In 2018, the company announced a further investment plan of £3bn in the next five years, which is a positive vote for growth in Britain. Unfortunately, this will now be subject to uncertainties in light of the British government's recent decision."

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:01 pm 

Suspicions of Huawei being too close to the Chinese government are certainly dismissed when the Chinese Ambassador speaks on their behalf .

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:26 pm 

bimboman wrote:
Suspicions of Huawei being too close to the Chinese government are certainly dismissed when the Chinese Ambassador speaks on their behalf .

And that is relevant, how?

Whether Huawei is too close to the Chinese Government or not, that's a 3bn quid investment.

Admittedly, the article does go on to say that the Chinese Government cannot dictate where the company invests, but I'd imagine that, if the roles were reversed and a British company were investing somewhere and the British Government didn't want them to, there would be ways found to pressure that company no to do so. Or do you disagree?

Quote:
Ambassador Liu's threat of total withdrawal was not echoed by Huawei, however. A company spokesman told The Register: "We have announced no change to our strategy. We will conduct a detailed review of what the announcement means for our business here in the UK; it remains too early to speculate."

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:24 pm 

Isn't the £3b tied up with building the nuclear stations? We probably won't want those either

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:49 pm 

This Huawei stuff should be on the China payback thread.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:52 pm 

message #2527204 wrote:
Isn't the £3b tied up with building the nuclear stations? We probably won't want those either

Good thing you're in a position to pick and chose, then.

As I understand it, the Nuclear power investment is a separate 1bn, but I suppose it could be part of the same package (it would make sense).

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/07/18/uk/britain-trump-china-intl-gbr/index.html

Quote:
...pivoting hard from China is easier said than done. Since the turn of the millennium, British governments have actively attempted to engage with China on a number of key issues -- from climate change to global security -- in exchange for a deeper economic partnership, which was especially important to the UK post-financial crash. Consequently, the Chinese state now has deep roots in the UK, and it's unclear how achievable or even desirable a sudden reversal of this might be for the UK.

Those deep roots include a trading partnership worth nearly $88 billion, direct foreign investment and acquisitions of British companies, $2.14 billion in Chinese students studying in British universities and, of course, controversial Chinese involvement in key British infrastructure projects, including nuclear power stations.

Telling the Chinese to f uck off may be quite satisfying but it won't come without an element of financial pain, particularly on the cusp of finally leaving the EU and the aftermath (hopefully) of the pandemic.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:55 pm 

ChipSpike wrote:

That's right.

There are no implications for Brexit involved. :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:14 pm 

UK has made some strange decisions over the last few years. Huawei isn't one of them. The EU needs to ban Huawei as well.

Huawei and ZTE are powerful telecoms suppliers with connections to the Chinese communist party.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:27 pm 

EverReady wrote:

He is tippy toeing a bit...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:58 pm 

iarmhiman wrote:
UK has made some strange decisions over the last few years. Huawei isn't one of them. The EU needs to ban Huawei as well.

Huawei and ZTE are powerful telecoms suppliers with connections to the Chinese communist party.

Granted.

The merits of dealing with the CCP require a long spoon, but I'm not sure that the UK is currently in a position where they can spurn 88bn quids worth of investment.

If they were part of another entity, like, say, the EU, it would be a lot easier to indulge high-minded ethics.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:10 pm 

sorCrer wrote:
EverReady wrote:

He is tippy toeing a bit...

He is definitely more patient. Letting things bake slowly rather than straight in and being incinerated in an oven. A metaphorical oven. Not an actual oven.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:20 pm 

camroc1 wrote:

The last thing an incoming Dem administration would do is destabilise relations with allies. They'll be looking to build bridges and confidence in American actions. Britain is like a high performance milking machine: it'll suck up to whatever tit pops into view.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:31 pm 

6.Jones wrote:
camroc1 wrote:

The last thing an incoming Dem administration would do is destabilise relations with allies. They'll be looking to build bridges and confidence in American actions. Britain is like a high performance milking machine: it'll suck up to whatever tit pops into view.

Nicely put.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:14 pm 

Rinkals wrote:
iarmhiman wrote:

Granted.

The merits of dealing with the CCP require a long spoon, but I'm not sure that the UK is currently in a position where they can spurn 88bn quids worth of investment.

If they were part of another entity, like, say, the EU, it would be a lot easier to indulge high-minded ethics.

Oh look it's that ridiculous piece of remoaning filth flashing his cornflake economics degree (again). Would that be the other "entity like say the EU" currently going through their deepest contraction on record? The donkey riding peasant economies of the gang (all 19 of them) sucking on Germany's tit so hard (see Scotland on England) they've all but bit right through it. The sensible folk of the givers are crying enough, they have their own recessions to get through, I smell the break-up of the gang. The Virus that finally broke the donkey's back as it were unless of course Ireland could stump up a few trillion more?
They'll be standing in the streets of Bucharest, Sophia, Madrid, Lisbon, Warsaw and a dozen others begging England to send food parcels when the second wave flattens them, it's building up now. Feed them with a Shang-eye Boris, pea at a time and make it a mushy...

Anyways, shouldn't you remoaning filth be busy preparing for your five year anniversary, five fcukin years the mind boggles? :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:25 pm 

Bayern’s slightly funnier than his previous parody incarnations. He’s got that pointless spite, like Peter Cook in the ‘Worst job I ever had’ skit where Dud talks about emptying Winston Churchill’s bogeys and he goes off on the ‘who would listen? NOBODY!’ rant.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:29 pm 

Short Man Syndrome wrote:
Bayern’s slightly funnier than his previous parody incarnations. He’s got that pointless spite, like Peter Cook in the ‘Worst job I ever had’ skit where Dud talks about emptying Winston Churchill’s bogeys and he goes off on the ‘who would listen? NOBODY!’ rant.

Oh look it's short dick , shouldn't you be belly-crawling around the forum accusing others of being racists? I mean that's your forte, your'e good for fcuk-all else except perhaps whipping up the other members your bully-girl gang to do the same..

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:44 pm 

Bayern wrote:
Short Man Syndrome wrote:
Bayern’s slightly funnier than his previous parody incarnations. He’s got that pointless spite, like Peter Cook in the ‘Worst job I ever had’ skit where Dud talks about emptying Winston Churchill’s bogeys aōnd he goes off on the ‘who would listen? NOBODY!’ rant.

Oh look it's short dick , shouldn't you be belly-crawling around the forum accusing others of being racists? I mean that's your forte, your'e good for fcuk-all else except perhaps whipping up the other members your bully-girl gang to do the same..

See? Slightly funnier.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:47 pm 

Rinkals wrote:
ChipSpike wrote:

That's right.

There's very little this story has to do with Brexit. Its not even mentioned on your link. Why don't spell out your theory on why it is.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:56 pm 

Where
Will
Inward
Investment
Come
From

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:06 pm 

If we are so desperate for inward investment post brexit, why are we going to ban Huawei, who apparently want to invest £3bn?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:17 pm 

The whys and wherefores of whether or not Huawei investment is blocked by UK or by Chinese governments is nothing to do with Brexit. The impact of Brexit and in particular loss of access to the SM on Inward investment overall and therefore how much loss of a potential 3B investment hurts is relevant.

Is it not?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:23 pm 

ChipSpike wrote:
Rinkals wrote:
ChipSpike wrote:

That's right.

There's very little this story has to do with Brexit. Its not even mentioned on your link. Why don't spell out your theory on why it is.

Jesus.

Can't you read?

"I'm not sure that the UK is currently in a position where they can spurn 88bn quids worth of investment.

If they were part of another entity, like, say, the EU, it would be a lot easier to indulge high-minded ethics."

There.

I spelled it out for you.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:24 pm 

ChipSpike wrote:
If we are so desperate for inward investment post brexit, why are we going to ban Huawei, who apparently want to invest £3bn?

Because Donald asked you to.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:10 pm 

Rinkals wrote:
ChipSpike wrote:

Because Donald told you to.

Corrected

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:09 pm 

Sawtooth the Beaver wrote:
The whys and wherefores of whether or not Huawei investment is blocked by UK or by Chinese governments is nothing to do with Brexit. The impact of Brexit and in particular loss of access to the SM on Inward investment overall and therefore how much loss of a potential 3B investment hurts is relevant.

Is it not?

Not really. 2019/2020 FDI to the UK was $2.1 tn, its small beer.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:16 pm 

Rinkals wrote:
ChipSpike wrote:
Rinkals wrote:
ChipSpike wrote:

That's right.

Jesus.

Can't you read?

"I'm not sure that the UK is currently in a position where they can spurn 88bn quids worth of investment.

If they were part of another entity, like, say, the EU, it would be a lot easier to indulge high-minded ethics."

There.

I spelled it out for you.

Well, we seem to pissing China off, in a high minded manner. First about HK, now Huawei. We'll see how that affects China's investments. Money from FDI has been pouring into the UK. 2019 sees us as the highest in Europe and second highest in the world according to the DIT.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:25 pm 

The questions to ask is where did that come from, why and will it change?

In 2019-2020 the majority came from the US and from Europe. Will putting up trade barriers impact investment from Europe going forward?

Time will tell.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:30 pm 

Rinkals wrote:
ChipSpike wrote:

Because Donald asked you to.

Is that it? I think its more due to several factors - the US are restricting access to US chip tech for China, Huawei code infrastructure was graded 'piss poor' by the NCSC, the HK situation, and the Chinese flawed response to covid. They aren;t flavour of the month. This should be on the China pay back thread.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:05 am 

Curious to know what was the title of the email that prompted serial fucktard and Boris WTO nominee Liam Fox to click the link and get hacked by the Ruskies.

Nigerian Prince offering inward investment maybe...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:11 am 

Curious to know what was the title of the email that prompted serial fucktard and Boris WTO nominee Liam Fox to click the link and get hacked by the Ruskies.

Show some respect, that's disgraced former defence secretary Liam Fox to you!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:52 am 

My Bad, every disgraced former minister should be allowed one mistake without fear of public humiliation.

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/department-for-trade-reprimanded-over-leak-of-personal-data_uk_5bb61b96e4b0876eda9bee68?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAACXEDAfxziiylGeBP7E5lYyKCCENpFb1QKa1X-6IOYivg-YisJDMqUHfh4WAfuTDBNODnAUYtssAszhi8KtlO9sVUENybSixgxug4jBHVrV5wn2SXKE_eYKCnbyOrt3-mwwJFOnB-0Xd68ld6EOzcjAJQx5c1cAMnO4pB5v42yfJ

https://infowatch.com/analytics/leaks_monitoring/1294

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:33 am 

Is Fox an ex minister in his 50's?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:57 am 

Are the EU starting to blink......

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-brit ... SKBN24Z1MH

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12673 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 308, 309, 310, 311, 312, 313, 314 ... 317  Next