OFFICIAL Brexit Thread

All things Rugby
Sawtooth the Beaver

Re: OFFICIAL Brexit Thread

Post by Sawtooth the Beaver »

Will be pleasantly surprised if UK fishermen aren't bemoaning no deal come January.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Sawtooth the Beaver wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:48 pm Will be pleasantly surprised if UK fishermen aren't bemoaning no deal come January.

Why would this happen ?
terryfinch

Post by terryfinch »

Sounds like Macron has caved on fishing....

"On fisheries, Mr Macron conceded a no-deal Brexit would be a “win” for British fishermen.

He said: “If there is no deal, European fishermen will have no access to British waters whatsoever. That is the reality.

"If there is a deal, will the situation be the same as it is today? No, that's for sure.""
La soule

Post by La soule »

bimboman wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:48 pm
iarmhiman wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:45 pm
bimboman wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:40 pm
iarmhiman wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:36 pm
bimboman wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:34 pm

You’re really not, if we don’t give you guys equivalencies you’re f ucked by massive amounts for 5-10 years,
Not what we were told by our Asian owners.

UK will move their services particularly their IT services to the EU including Dublin to get their feet in the EU camp.

Yep, servers and a few staff where required,

You guys will be paying multiples for every fund raise.
Not sure what that means. Is that City financial speak?

Anyway our government's budget was last week. They've revised down the impact of a no deal Brexit on our economy.

The main issue for us it that poxy landbridge and getting held up at Dover. So now that the government know it will be a no deal , they have to spend the next few months getting contracts with shipping companies to get daily sailings to the continent. That's what our hauliers have been calling for, for months. Makes sense as well. No exit or entry declarations, no annoying paperwork like we're going to be doing to Holyhead.

You’ll not get daily sailings ...... even the extra big boats all stop in the UK too and from.

I did tell you this a year ago.
I guess one of Maersk, CMA CGM or DSV would be OK setting up a trade lane from continental Europe to Ireland.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

iarmhiman wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:46 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:43 pm
terryfinch wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:25 pm
The EU can just fuc* off. They are our waters. We will catch as many fish as we want and the EU can bug*er off.
Who do we sell them to? Is fishing such a big issue in some countries that the fisherman can effetely force their governments to veto any deal with the EU if they don't get their way on fishing ?
Fishing makes no money. It's symbolic in terms of sovereignty.
Thank you for that. Do you have an answer to what I was asking about
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

bimboman wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:48 pm
iarmhiman wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:45 pm
bimboman wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:40 pm
iarmhiman wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:36 pm
bimboman wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:34 pm

You’re really not, if we don’t give you guys equivalencies you’re f ucked by massive amounts for 5-10 years,
Not what we were told by our Asian owners.

UK will move their services particularly their IT services to the EU including Dublin to get their feet in the EU camp.

Yep, servers and a few staff where required,

You guys will be paying multiples for every fund raise.
Not sure what that means. Is that City financial speak?

Anyway our government's budget was last week. They've revised down the impact of a no deal Brexit on our economy.

The main issue for us it that poxy landbridge and getting held up at Dover. So now that the government know it will be a no deal , they have to spend the next few months getting contracts with shipping companies to get daily sailings to the continent. That's what our hauliers have been calling for, for months. Makes sense as well. No exit or entry declarations, no annoying paperwork like we're going to be doing to Holyhead.

You’ll not get daily sailings ...... even the extra big boats all stop in the UK too and from.

I did tell you this a year ago.
That's not what our hauliers have been saying. We'll get them alright. We just haven't done anything yet and that's the government's fault. We don't need big boats. We just need a daily boat to France.

Our government have been lazy and have been thinking there might be a deal and that's why they've waited. They may start now as we're going to have 6+ months of disruption but can be fixed within a year.

Holyhead will see a reduction in traffic. Just goods to the UK. More money for HMRC though.
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:51 pm
The EU can just fuc* off. They are our waters. We will catch as many fish as we want and the EU can bug*er off.
Who do we sell them to? Is fishing such a big issue in some countries that the fisherman can effetely force their governments to veto any deal with the EU if they don't get their way on fishing ?
1st answer. You will have to freeze the fish and sell to further destinations.
2nd answer. Seemingly in France yes
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

That's not what our hauliers have been saying. We'll get them alright. We just haven't done anything yet and that's the government's fault. We don't need big boats. We just need a daily boat to France.

Our government have been lazy and have been thinking there might be a deal and that's why they've waited. They may start now as we're going to have 6+ months of disruption but can be fixed within a year.

Holyhead will see a reduction in traffic. Just goods to the UK. More money for HMRC though.
A daily boat to where in France ? Even the big boats don’t touch double digit %’s of the traffic currently.

And Cherbourg is a full tacko from the Dutch ports. They barely get the truck closer to Rotterdam in driving terms than Liverpool.

These “daily” boats just don’t exist. And you’ve got no container capacity.
terryfinch

Post by terryfinch »

We will sell them to our own market and anyone else that wants to pay for them. More frozen exports will need more processing in the UK but that is probably good news for jobs etc.
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

bimboman wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:54 pm

A daily boat to where in France ? Even the big boats don’t touch double digit %’s of the traffic currently.

And Cherbourg is a full tacko from the Dutch ports. They barely get the truck closer to Rotterdam in driving terms than Liverpool.

I'll go by what our hauliers have been saying thank you very much.

Container??? We already send LO LO containers direct to the continent.

I'm talking about Roll on Roll off here not containers.
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

terryfinch wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:56 pm
We will sell them to our own market and anyone else that wants to pay for them. More frozen exports will need more processing in the UK but that is probably good news for jobs etc.
Chippies
Jim Lahey

Post by Jim Lahey »

iarmhiman wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:48 pm
Jim Lahey wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:40 pm Well that’s that then.
I’d rather know for sure than all this pissing about kicking the can down the road with both sides trying to bait each other into backing down.
The world is, and will be f**ked for the foreseeable future anyway with covid. Probably not a bad time to chuck another grenade into the mix like a no-deal Brexit, if it has to happen.
Do you regret voting to leave? As a unionist, do you agree that a no deal makes an United Ireland more likely than staying in the EU and a status quo?
Just because I’m a prod from NI doesn’t mean I’m a unionist. I just want the best set of circumstances to raise my family in. I am definitely not an absolutist. If a UI is a better place for my kids to grow up in then I’ll vote for it.

I felt at the time that the UK would be better off outside. I still retain that view, although acknowledge that it will take a few years to reconfigure things. But since everything will be f**ked anyway, its probably strengthened my resolve that if you are going to start again from scratch having 100% control over things isn’t a bad position to be in.

At some point the UK will recover economically with a new business model and relations with the EU will recover, and then we’ll come to some sort of mutually beneficial agreement. At the end of the day the Germans blew up Europe twice in 30 years and it only took a decade or so for everyone to move on from it.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

European solidarity :thumbup:
Laurent Merlin is based in Boulogne-sur-Mer, a city at the heart of France's fishing industry.

His grandfather used to fish in the waters off Scotland, while his father fished in the Channel.

'We might decide to flex our muscles'
Today, three-quarters of Laurent's own crabs and lobsters come from British fishing grounds. He's worried that the ebb and flow of post-Brexit trade negotiations could sink boats like his if they're denied access.

"If we can't enter British waters, it's practically the end of our profession," he said.

A quarter of France's national catch comes from Britain's fish-rich waters. In northern ports like Boulogne-sur-Mer, fishermen are dependent on them.

If there's no deal, we're going to ask that the French get the French waters," Mr Merlin explained. "That the Belgians go back to Belgium, and the Dutch as well. Because if all those boats get kicked out and come here [to French fishing grounds], it'll be unbearable."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-54526145
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

Jim Lahey wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:02 pm
I’d rather know for sure than all this pissing about kicking the can down the road with both sides trying to bait each other into backing down.
The world is, and will be f**ked for the foreseeable future anyway with covid. Probably not a bad time to chuck another grenade into the mix like a no-deal Brexit, if it has to happen.
Do you regret voting to leave? As a unionist, do you agree that a no deal makes an United Ireland more likely than staying in the EU and a status quo?
Just because I’m a prod from NI doesn’t mean I’m a unionist. I just want the best set of circumstances to raise my family in. I am definitely not an absolutist. If a UI is a better place for my kids to grow up in then I’ll vote for it.

I felt at the time that the UK would be better off outside. I still retain that view, although acknowledge that it will take a few years to reconfigure things. But since everything will be f**ked anyway, its probably strengthened my resolve that if you are going to start again from scratch having 100% control over things isn’t a bad position to be in.

At some point the UK will recover economically with a new business model and relations with the EU will recover, and then we’ll come to some sort of mutually beneficial agreement. At the end of the day the Germans blew up Europe twice in 30 years and it only took a decade or so for everyone to move on from it.
I have no doubt in the world the UK will recover. They're a massive economy. Hopefully we''ll all have gotten over this by then.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

iarmhiman wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:57 pm

I realise what you’re talking about, I can absolutely guarantee there’s no immediate capacity and the turn round to the Benelux ports is 36 hours plus and twice the price of the land bridge. French ports are as I said too far away to be of much use.

Your hauliers are funny.
merry!

Post by merry! »

good man, boris.

nice to see the micks flapping already.. :lol:
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:04 pm European solidarity :thumbup:
Laurent Merlin is based in Boulogne-sur-Mer, a city at the heart of France's fishing industry.

His grandfather used to fish in the waters off Scotland, while his father fished in the Channel.

'We might decide to flex our muscles'
Today, three-quarters of Laurent's own crabs and lobsters come from British fishing grounds. He's worried that the ebb and flow of post-Brexit trade negotiations could sink boats like his if they're denied access.

"If we can't enter British waters, it's practically the end of our profession," he said.

A quarter of France's national catch comes from Britain's fish-rich waters. In northern ports like Boulogne-sur-Mer, fishermen are dependent on them.

If there's no deal, we're going to ask that the French get the French waters," Mr Merlin explained. "That the Belgians go back to Belgium, and the Dutch as well. Because if all those boats get kicked out and come here [to French fishing grounds], it'll be unbearable."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-54526145
And they'll all come to Irish waters. They'll have no choice as there will be no fish left in the channel
ovalball

Post by ovalball »

Currently, about 3/4 of British fish is sold into the EU - were that market to be closed to us (highly unlikely) it would be tricky to find alternative outlets in the short term. Mind you, it'd probably take us a while to gear up to catch all the fish currently harvested by our EU partners.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

iarmhiman wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:05 pm

I have no doubt in the world the UK will recover. They're a massive economy. Hopefully we''ll all have gotten over this by then.

I genuinely hope we have trade and tax policies aimed at f ucking you guys.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

TBF I do prefer tinned Mackerel to sardines. Hope the price goes down
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

bimboman wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:05 pm
iarmhiman wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:57 pm

I realise what you’re talking about, I can absolutely guarantee there’s no immediate capacity and the turn round to the Benelux ports is 36 hours plus and twice the price of the land bridge. French ports are as I said too far away to be of much use.

Your hauliers are funny.
Hauliers want a regular direct service to the French port of Le Havre or further along France’s coast to Calais or Dunkirk to put them directly on to main road networks into France, Belgium and The Netherlands to guarantee continued fast access to Europe if the UK becomes congested.

Mr Carr said he hoped the new service would be in place by the time the transition period ends, when the UK faces border checks after leaving the EU single market and customs union.

“It can take a little bit of time to put a new service in place. Waiting to turn it on in January could result in a further lead-in time to turn it all on,” he said.

Ciarán O’Driscoll, a policy and Brexit research officer at European Movement Ireland who has studied transit routes, said he expected shipping lines to wait until the weeks and months after Brexit comes into effect before adding capacity on existing direct routes in a no-deal scenario.

“The only situation where you would see an increase in the frequency of sailings from Ireland to the likes of France, Belgium or the Netherlands is if the landbridge becomes untenable during those initial few months after a no-deal,” he said.
And untenable the landbridge will be .
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Great double the cost, twice the price , twice the time and removes some pressure for UK customs.

It will be far more expensive than most tariffs competing goods from the UK will face,
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

bimboman wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:06 pm
iarmhiman wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:05 pm

I genuinely hope we have trade and tax policies aimed at f ucking you guys.
We will still have the advantage of having that foot in the EU and free access to the single market. You won't

Funny thing is the things you have written could have been done while you were in the EU and would have f**ked us more.
terryfinch

Post by terryfinch »

The BBC's gorgeous Katya is saying that yesterday's EU meeting was all for domestic show and the EU are preparing to lube up and bend over to take Johnson's giant schlong.
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

bimboman wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:11 pm Great double the cost, twice the price , twice the time and removes some pressure for UK customs.

It will be far more expensive than most tariffs competing goods from the UK will face,
Twice the time?? We're going to be in a car park in Dover for about the same time if we don't

Not sure why you're getting annoyed. It's only Holyhead. You hate Wales anyway
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

terryfinch wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:13 pm The BBC's gorgeous Katya is saying that yesterday's EU meeting was all for domestic show and the EU are preparing to lube up and bend over to take Johnson's giant schlong.
Other way around I reckon
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

iarmhiman wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:13 pm
bimboman wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:11 pm Great double the cost, twice the price , twice the time and removes some pressure for UK customs.

Twice the time?? We're going to be in a car park in Dover for about the same time if we don't

Indeed. Liverpool also get traffic and much of it goes to Hull as well.

Yes twice the time, twice the price. There’s no spare capacity in either boats or quay time in Europe that can be switched on in a few weeks.

I know this to be the case.

Good luck .
terryfinch

Post by terryfinch »

iarmhiman wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:15 pm
terryfinch wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:13 pm The BBC's gorgeous Katya is saying that yesterday's EU meeting was all for domestic show and the EU are preparing to lube up and bend over to take Johnson's giant schlong.
I reckon the UK are read to leave without a deal. Boris said today that trade talks are over and it is not even headline news here.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

terryfinch wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:17 pm
I reckon the UK are read to leave without a deal. Boris said today that trade talks are over and it is not even headline news here.

Sterling finished small up on the day I think.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

ovalball wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:06 pm Currently, about 3/4 of British fish is sold into the EU - were that market to be closed to us (highly unlikely) it would be tricky to find alternative outlets in the short term. Mind you, it'd probably take us a while to gear up to catch all the fish currently harvested by our EU partners.
Will the lead times still be short enough for our fish to get into EU wholesale markets and be sold as fresh fish
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

terryfinch wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:17 pm
I think the EU ever since the Internal Market Bill also want no deal.

They know the UK can't be trusted and will break treaties again in the future. All the EU can do is protect its single market.
clementinfrance

Post by clementinfrance »

Who'd have thought "Getting Brexit done" simply meant sitting on your arse and waffleing away at the media.

Only the blond man-sloth himself could see things this simplistically...
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

bimboman wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:17 pm

Yes twice the time, twice the price. There’s no spare capacity in either boats or quay time in Europe that can be switched on in a few weeks.

Good luck .
Well if the lorries get held up in Dover along with mandatory rest time, the time via landbridge adds up and hearing on the news of UK hauliers concerns, if we go via ship we don't lose much more time at all considering it could take a full day to clear Dover with all the UK trucks held up.

We are where we are, except yes it may cost more, and not as good as landbridge ( before 31st December) but still better than landbridge post December and no customs declarations.

I think it's a positive move for Ireland, and gets us more aligned to Europe and further away from UK sphere of influence.
feckwanker

Post by feckwanker »

The vast majority of the UK fishing fleet is owned by consortiums from Holland and Belgium. While the local local small boat owners you see on the news make lots of noise I think that at the top level, those with the actual power to make decisions for fishermen will want to stay in the EU fisheries for a whole host of reasons.

People who think that you can just freeze fish and send them off to Asia and get the same return as you would from selling it fresh in a supermarket in France the next day are deluded.
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

Just for the record Bimbo, how do you think fresh Irish salmon, lobster, crab and shellfish get to China at the moment ?
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

iarmhiman wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:26 pm
bimboman wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:17 pm

Good luck .
Well if the lorries get held up in Dover along with mandatory rest time, the time via landbridge adds up and hearing on the news of UK hauliers concerns, if we go via ship we don't lose much more time at all considering it could take a full day to clear Dover with all the UK trucks held up.

We are where we are, except yes it may cost more, and not as good as landbridge ( before 31st December) but still better than landbridge post December and no customs declarations.

I think it's a positive move for Ireland, and gets us more aligned to Europe and further away from UK sphere of influence.

It’s 18 vs 26-36 hours. We have no idea if Dover/Euro tunnel will be held up . If the French go too crazy much of the UK traffic will sub Panamax to Antwerp or even Ostend. Those ports are already making offers along with Rotterdam to compete.

Good Luck.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

camroc1 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:29 pm

Just for the record Bimbo, how do you think fresh Irish salmon, lobster, crab and shellfish get to China at the moment ?

Magic carpet.
YOYO

Post by YOYO »

clementinfrance wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:25 pm Who'd have thought "Getting Brexit done" simply meant sitting on your arse and waffleing away at the media.

Only the blond man-sloth himself could see things this simplistically...
Seems that’s how privileged toffs operate. Not real world.
Last edited by YOYO on Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

bimboman wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:31 pm
camroc1 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:29 pm

Magic carpet.
About as accurate as anything else you've posted today.
Last edited by camroc1 on Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

feckwanker wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:27 pm The vast majority of the UK fishing fleet is owned by consortiums from Holland and Belgium. While the local local small boat owners you see on the news make lots of noise I think that at the top level, those with the actual power to make decisions for fishermen will want to stay in the EU fisheries for a whole host of reasons.

People who think that you can just freeze fish and send them off to Asia and get the same return as you would from selling it fresh in a supermarket in France the next day are deluded.
This has got nothing to do with what the UK fishermen or the owners of fleets want.