OFFICIAL Brexit Thread

All things Rugby
bimboman

Re: OFFICIAL Brexit Thread

Post by bimboman »

camroc1 wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:10 pm BoJo has been offered his pyrrhic victory, I see. Will he jump for it, like a fat man spotting a piece of (EU) cake, and claim : Victory, we have Victory from the steps of 10 Downing Street.

https://www.rte.ie/news/brexit/2020/112 ... 25-brexit/

They’ve rejected the stupid demand.
message #2527204

Post by message #2527204 »

bimboman wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:17 pm
camroc1 wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:10 pm BoJo has been offered his pyrrhic victory, I see. Will he jump for it, like a fat man spotting a piece of (EU) cake, and claim : Victory, we have Victory from the steps of 10 Downing Street.

Idiots still think it's about money.
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

bimboman wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:17 pm

Have you ever been part of a real negotiation Bimbo ?
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

What did they offer? 18%?

Rejected??

20% will do it.
ChipSpike

Post by ChipSpike »

Its how the quotas are set in the subsequent years that matters.
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

ChipSpike wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:55 pm Its how the quotas are set in the subsequent years that matters.
I think you'll find fishing doesn't matter at all. I bet the disagreement is something else, something far more important
ChipSpike

Post by ChipSpike »

iarmhiman wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:58 pm
ChipSpike wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:55 pm Its how the quotas are set in the subsequent years that matters.
I think you'll find fishing doesn't matter at all. I bet the disagreement is something else, something far more important
The reports are saying it's fishing, state subsidies are the sticking points. Unless you know something different?
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

ChipSpike wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:10 pm
The reports are saying it's fishing, state subsidies are the sticking points. Unless you know something different?
I bet it's another issue
ChipSpike

Post by ChipSpike »

iarmhiman wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:24 pm
I bet it's another issue
I'm not so sure. The UK stance is to adopt the same kind of fisheries management that the EU and Norway already use, that of zonal attachment, and yearly quota allocation. You seem to suggesting we'll trade this away for something else - what?
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

ChipSpike wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:56 pm
iarmhiman wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:24 pm
I bet it's another issue
I'm not so sure. The UK stance is to adopt the same kind of fisheries management that the EU and Norway already use, that of zonal attachment, and yearly quota allocation. You seem to suggesting we'll trade this away for something else - what?
I don't know . Fishing doesn't make much money though. Can't see how this could stall a trade deal
blindsider

Post by blindsider »

If they can't sort Fisheries, how are they going to agree Level Playing Field, Dispute Resolution and the resolution of the Internal Markets Bill issue?

There really does appear to be a general fatigue and melancholy over the whole process. Unless something changes quickly, I can see the whole thing sinking into a futile 'blame game' where each starts to focus on what the other 'did wrong' rather than get a deal over the line.

I can see a scenario where No Deal becomes the reality until one side blinks, in late Jan/early Feb. The problem might be that the Tories, driven by UK popular opinion, turn on Boris and he is ejected from No 10. He is running out of political allies with clout - is that the rasp of metal on a whetstone I hear?
Yer Man

Post by Yer Man »

iarmhiman wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:36 am I don't know . Fishing doesn't make much money though. Can't see how this could stall a trade deal
As I understand it, only about 30% of the fish caught in British waters are actually caught by British Fishermen.
But of that 30%, only about 30-35% is sold to the UK market - the vast majority is sold... to the EU.

A no deal Brexit would mean the rest of the EU loses access to to fish in UK waters - but UK fishermen would lose (tariff free) access to most of their markets, i.e. more expensive and would lose market share.
So the current arrangement is access for access... if one is lost then both will be lost.

The State Subsidy issue is puzzling given that
a) UK Conservatives were among the main drivers in establishing such EU rules in the first place - and the Tories traditionally oppose Government subsidy to Industry
b) The UK-Japan Trade Deal apparently includes rules on subsidy that are actually more restrictive than the EU rules

I'm guessing the main motivation is for Boris et al to find something (anything) that they can hold up as a "win!" Making such a big deal out of such a miniscule segment of the Economy does suggest that wins are proving hard to come by.
Sawtooth the Beaver

Post by Sawtooth the Beaver »

13% of fish landed by UK fishermen come from EU waters. Not the major consideration by any means but a factor nonetheless.
Yer Man

Post by Yer Man »

So British Fishermen who fish in EU waters are f*cked in January and British Fishermen who sell to the EU market are probably f*cked as well. Can anyone tell me who the winner is???
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Yer Man wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:08 am So British Fishermen who fish in EU waters are f*cked in January and British Fishermen who sell to the EU market are probably f*cked as well. Can anyone tell me who the winner is???

The rest of the world .......

The British consumer.......

The fish .......
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Yer Man wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:49 am
iarmhiman wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:36 am I don't know . Fishing doesn't make much money though. Can't see how this could stall a trade deal
As I understand it, only about 30% of the fish caught in British waters are actually caught by British Fishermen.
But of that 30%, only about 30-35% is sold to the UK market - the vast majority is sold... to the EU.

A no deal Brexit would mean the rest of the EU loses access to to fish in UK waters - but UK fishermen would lose (tariff free) access to most of their markets, i.e. more expensive and would lose market share.
So the current arrangement is access for access... if one is lost then both will be lost.

a) UK Conservatives were among the main drivers in establishing such EU rules in the first place - and the Tories traditionally oppose Government subsidy to Industry
b) The UK-Japan Trade Deal apparently includes rules on subsidy that are actually more restrictive than the EU rules

I'm guessing the main motivation is for Boris et al to find something (anything) that they can hold up as a "win!" Making such a big deal out of such a miniscule segment of the Economy does suggest that wins are proving hard to come by.
The state subsidies issue isn’t about what the subsidy is, it’s about who and how the rules are governed, the EU are insisting that their courts are the arbitrator even after we have left. That’s stupidly unacceptable to any sovereign nation.
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

You've got to be circumspect about these things when you are the smaller party but look that comes with flexibility and you can go to places like Tonga and hammer out deals willy nilly
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

EverReady wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:28 am You've got to be circumspect about these things when you are the smaller party but look that comes with flexibility and you can go to places like Tonga and hammer out deals willy nilly

No you haven’t , you’ve got to look and see there’s no example like the one being demanded by the EU anywhere else on the globe, and that’s with 170 counties smaller than the UK.
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

bimboman wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:31 am
EverReady wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:28 am You've got to be circumspect about these things when you are the smaller party but look that comes with flexibility and you can go to places like Tonga and hammer out deals willy nilly

No you haven’t , you’ve got to look and see there’s no example like the one being demanded by the EU anywhere else on the globe, and that’s with 170 counties smaller than the UK.
Tbf that's because nobody likes you but anyway it's all smoke and mirrors. LOOK AT THE FISH LOOK AT THE FISH while you are actually getting raped where it really matters
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

So, the UK will be a first ?
There's that British exceptionalism again.........
feckwanker

Post by feckwanker »

bimboman wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:09 am
Yer Man wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:08 am So British Fishermen who fish in EU waters are f*cked in January and British Fishermen who sell to the EU market are probably f*cked as well. Can anyone tell me who the winner is???

The fish .......
The consumer? The reason you guys export so much is that British people don't want to eat that much fish to begin with and when they do, it's really only specific species. You won't change people's tastes.
It's a disaster for British fishermen selling on to the continent.
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

feckwanker wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:33 pm

The fish .......
The consumer? The reason you guys export so much is that British people don't want to eat that much fish to begin with and when they do, it's really only specific species. You won't change people's tastes.
Unless the freeze it and sell to the likes of Japan. Not that they're short on fish
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

EverReady wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:33 am

Tbf that's because nobody likes you but anyway it's all smoke and mirrors. LOOK AT THE FISH LOOK AT THE FISH while you are actually getting raped where it really matters

Are we ? What’s happened?
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

The fish .......

They’ll sell it to China ...... don’t you panic yet.
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

bimboman wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:41 pm

The fish .......

They've just put tariffs on Aussie wine the Chinese.

I take it your government won't be mouthing off about Hong Kong then if you need the Chinese to buy your frozen fish.
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

The fish .......

Probably shouldn’t have shit on Huawei so
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

Duff Paddy wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:45 pm

The fish .......

Probably shouldn’t have shit on Huawei so
I know we're piling in here but that Huawei decision was a correct one
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

Shut up kid
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

Duff Paddy wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:47 pm Shut up kid
I'm the signals engineer here who works on this sort of stuff so you stay down
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

iarmhiman wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:43 pm

The fish .......

They've just put tariffs on Aussie wine the Chinese.

I take it your government won't be mouthing off about Hong Kong then if you need the Chinese to buy your frozen fish.
They like fish a lot more than wine. Either way the choice should be our and governed by our votes as a country in future.
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

iarmhiman wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:47 pm
Of course it was the right decision you bloody thick
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

Duff Paddy wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:49 pm
Stick to medicine . You know nothing about telecoms.
ChipSpike

Post by ChipSpike »

The fish .......
Is it? Fish tariffs range from 0 - 20%, averaging at 8% apparently. How are the EU fish wholesalers going to replace the UK EEZ catch, without paying the tariffs anyway? And we know how much they love their fresh fish and shellfish. I expect prices will rise for the EU consumer. Also the EU eats a lot of Norwegian fish, which are tariffed.
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

iarmhiman wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:51 pm

I don’t do medicine.

These two statements are both true:
1. The decision to ban Huawei was correct
2. That decision will weaken the UK’s negotiating position with China
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

Duff Paddy wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:55 pm
iarmhiman wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:51 pm

I don’t do medicine.

These two statements are both true:
1. The decision to ban Huawei was correct
2. That decision will weaken the UK’s negotiating position with China
So i said (1) and you said (2).

And you tell me to shut up after i said (1) . Makes sense :roll:
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

I said shut up because we were playing with Bimbo. Jesus somebody get iarmhi a coffee
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

Duff Paddy wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:01 pm I said shut up because we were playing with Bimbo. Jesus somebody get iarmhi a coffee
Apologies it just had an Anon Joe arrogant know it all feel about the post.
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

iarmhiman wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:07 pm
Duff Paddy wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:01 pm I said shut up because we were playing with Bimbo. Jesus somebody get iarmhi a coffee
Apologies it just had an Anon Joe arrogant know it all feel about the post.
Yeah I’m working on that apologies
Yer Man

Post by Yer Man »

wrote:

The state subsidies issue isn’t about what the subsidy is, it’s about who and how the rules are governed, the EU are insisting that their courts are the arbitrator even after we have left. That’s stupidly unacceptable to any sovereign nation.
"What's that Sir? You'd like to book a round at 9am on Monday.
I'm terribly sorry sir, but since you're no longer a member at this Golf Club, you must play as a Visitor.
And Visitors are only permitted to play after 1pm on Tuesday and Thursday.
Now stop making a fuss before I give you the John Terry treatment."
ChipSpike

Post by ChipSpike »

Yer Man wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:12 pm
wrote:

"What's that Sir? You'd like to book a round at 9am on Monday.
I'm terribly sorry sir, but since you're no longer a member at this Golf Club, you must play as a Visitor.
And Visitors are only permitted to play after 1pm on Tuesday and Thursday.
Now stop making a fuss before I give you the John Terry treatment."
If you're talking about EU fishermen, you have it right.