OFFICIAL Brexit Thread

All things Rugby
bimboman

Re: OFFICIAL Brexit Thread

Post by bimboman »

feckwanker wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:26 am
bimboman wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:42 pm
Sawtooth the Beaver wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:32 pm The average cost of transporting a lorryload of goods to the UK from Germany was 26 per cent higher in the first week of 2021 compared with the average for the third quarter of last year, according to figures from Transporeon, which tracks freight flows.

Bad luck on the Germans hey.
:lol: :lol:
Where do you think those price increases will be paid for? Out of the pockets of the manufacturers/hauliers or by the consumer downstream?

If this stuff is going to supermarkets then the contracts very firmly make the selling party deliver within a time slot or the seller pays damages etc.

Eventually if they’re the only goods the buyer pays more, however the exporter is at risk to a cheaper supplier or one that can manage his logistics costs better.
RodneyRegis

Post by RodneyRegis »

Sawtooth the Beaver wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:19 am Autocar
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/indu ... t%E2%80%9D

This doesn't make any sense.

Sounds like classic "blame Brexit because we want to charge more".

Guess they'd better hope the market will bear it. Any other manufacturers hiking prices?
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

backrow wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:46 am
DragsterDriver wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:21 am Open market meet Sawtooth, sawtooth meet open market etc.
There is an element of truth here though , brexit has & will undoubtedly raise some costs for trade for goods between uk and Eu even if no direct tariffs have been applied , but there is some chicken and egg here. Every commercial enterprise worth its salt charges as much as it can, using brexit to bump up prices is as good an excuse as any, Ford just nipping in with some margin padding whilst it thinks it can get away with it. The transport firms likely doing the same (some will be covid related space availability though)

My own firm has lumped double digit price increases on what we sell to the Nordics and Ireland for example , uk prices have just gone up a whopping 2% despite not making any of it here. Uk actually has the second lowest prices in Emea after CEE (globally the cheapest by far is still in the US though, huge market with lots of competition plus we make most of our stuff there)

Companies usually try to get away with some - another Unilever bashing tale, after the referendum when gbp fell, we tried to foist large increases on mayo that was made in purfleet, citing with a straight face ‘we can only fx hedge 6 months ahead’. Some dozier retailers bought this line, Tesco at the time was run by an ex Unilever guy who told them to gtfo because he knew that the main cogs from purfleet was labour at about 60% of total finished product cost so a fall in sterling had actually made it cheaper to produce , not more expensive.

Re ford, be interesting to see if this list price increase stays or is matched by uk dealer discounts, and what happens to pricing of mazdas and Hondas etc in response. Cause and effect are rarely clear cut.
Absolutely- some things will increase.

If the fiesta isn’t competitive against its rivals then I’ll put it with the Porsche’s and other cars I can’t afford :P

People will cut their cloth accordingly as they always have, it’s not an ‘Armageddon gotcha’.
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

RodneyRegis wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:56 am

Guess they'd better hope the market will bear it. Any other manufacturers hiking prices?
If they all hike their prices we’ll be buying YOYOs 06 plate Mondeo before he can import it.
RodneyRegis

Post by RodneyRegis »

DragsterDriver wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:59 am

If they all hike their prices we’ll be buying YOYOs 06 plate Mondeo before he can import it.
Nice.
backrow

Post by backrow »

Sawtooth the Beaver wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:32 pm The average cost of transporting a lorryload of goods to the UK from Germany was 26 per cent higher in the first week of 2021 compared with the average for the third quarter of last year, according to figures from Transporeon, which tracks freight flows.

Where do you think those price increases will be paid for? Out of the pockets of the manufacturers/hauliers or by the consumer downstream?
Do you not think price increase would affect how many fiestas are bought when you can get a Mazda 2 for less? If their sales remain the same (unlikely but not impossible) then yes it will be the uk consumer who loses out only, but if sales fall then Ford Europe will also lose out.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

RodneyRegis wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:05 am
DragsterDriver wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:59 am

Nice.

I’ll have a cheeky fiver that it’s “gold” colour.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

backrow wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:11 am

Do you not think price increase would affect how many fiestas are bought when you can get a Mazda 2 for less? If their sales remain the same (unlikely but not impossible) then yes it will be the uk consumer who loses out only, but if sales fall then Ford Europe will also lose out.

Except where they’ve employed McGee as a sales women and you’re buying that Ford Puma.
backrow

Post by backrow »

In time they all will of course, but directly due to brexit , probably not, especially for those few dozen cars actually made in the Uk. What is a decent competitor for the fiesta, a Mazda 2 like i guessed ? If I was Mr Mazda GM for Uk I’d be rubbing my hands with glee seeing Ford out their prices up on fiestas as they are in effect giving you a promotional discount on your own goods which have overnight become relatively cheaper.
backrow

Post by backrow »

bimboman wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:14 am

Except where they’ve employed McGee as a sales women and you’re buying that Ford Puma.
Normally, yes (esp if they release a hybrid that doesn’t catch fire like their kugas) but in this new world, I’m hardly using a car so no point rushing to buy - we haven’t bought fuel in 2 months !
Falling demand due to covid will also impact how many pricier fiestas are sold in 2021
Sawtooth the Beaver

Post by Sawtooth the Beaver »

"Open market meet Sawtooth, sawtooth meet open market etc."

"Re ford, be interesting to see if this list price increase stays or is matched by uk dealer discounts, and what happens to pricing of mazdas and Hondas etc in response. Cause and effect are rarely clear cut."
Cause: introducing trade barriers
Effect: Reduced choice or increased cost.

Seems simple enough until such time as removing other trade barriers can mitigate that.

Until then there are rabbits in the field.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

backrow wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:18 am
bimboman wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:14 am

Normally, yes (esp if they release a hybrid that doesn’t catch fire like their kugas) but in this new world, I’m hardly using a car so no point rushing to buy - we haven’t bought fuel in 2 months !
Falling demand due to covid will also impact how many pricier fiestas are sold in 2021

If her tits were big enough you’d drive it out burning,
backrow

Post by backrow »

However much brexiters are derided by remainers regarding unicorns and believing lies fornthe economic effect of brexit, the exact same level of ignorance is displayed on the remainer side re ‘things will be worse and more expensive for the uk consumer’. There is always this assumption that joe public will simply end up paying more, not realising that there are certain price elasticities and alternatives available for any product or service.
I for one am looking forward to buying more food from outside the Eu that will sometimes be cheaper and just as good quality as the overpriced EU equivalent , ditto cars etc

There may even be a backlash against french cars or Irish beef or french cheese by certain sections of the Uk public, once lockdown ends.
Petej

Post by Petej »

backrow wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:16 am

In time they all will of course, but directly due to brexit , probably not, especially for those few dozen cars actually made in the Uk. What is a decent competitor for the fiesta, a Mazda 2 like i guessed ? If I was Mr Mazda GM for Uk I’d be rubbing my hands with glee seeing Ford out their prices up on fiestas as they are in effect giving you a promotional discount on your own goodrs which have overnight become relatively cheaper.
Depends, margins are thin on such products it is unlikely due to the interlinking of supply chains that if Mr ford has to increase prices others don't follow.

Brexit is like a very slow puncture to uk manufacturing industries which operate on longer timescales and reports tend to focus on nissan or honda rather than on the supply chain where there are more jobs.

Where I worked has sacked off internal investment in the UK in favour of germany, spain, usa since the brexit vote. Lots of early retirements and people not being replaced rather than people being fired.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Petej wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:43 am

In time they all will of course, but directly due to brexit , probably not, especially for those few dozen cars actually made in the Uk. What is a decent competitor for the fiesta, a Mazda 2 like i guessed ? If I was Mr Mazda GM for Uk I’d be rubbing my hands with glee seeing Ford out their prices up on fiestas as they are in effect giving you a promotional discount on your own goodrs which have overnight become relatively cheaper.
Depends, margins are thin on such products it is unlikely due to the interlinking of supply chains that if Mr ford has to increase prices others don't follow.

Brexit is like a very slow puncture to uk manufacturing industries which operate on longer timescales and reports tend to focus on nissan or honda rather than on the supply chain where there are more jobs.

Where I worked has sacked off internal investment in the UK in favour of germany, spain, usa since the brexit vote. Lots of early retirements and people not being replaced rather than people being fired.

What nonsense , even Ford are only raising prices on cars with one particular engine.

This isn’t UK manufacturing its German Manufacturing....

Unemployment from Covid will dwarf any brexit related issues.

You guys never make any allowances for behaviour changes and just assume decline, it’s very odd.
backrow

Post by backrow »

Sawtooth the Beaver wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:22 am
"Open market meet Sawtooth, sawtooth meet open market etc."

"Re ford, be interesting to see if this list price increase stays or is matched by uk dealer discounts, and what happens to pricing of mazdas and Hondas etc in response. Cause and effect are rarely clear cut."

Seems simple enough until such time as removing other trade barriers can mitigate that.

No, you are deliberately misconstruing here - fords have gone up, not everyone else, and no reduction in choice. It only seems simple to you as you are making 2+2=5, it’s not as if prices haven’t risen for cars prior to 2016 or prior to uk joining the eec

uk fiestas becoming more expensive will have a knock on effect for pool old yoyo of course
backrow

Post by backrow »

Petej wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:43 am

Plenty of car plants around the world have closed due to over capacity, not just in uk, to somehow single out uk and brexit as the cause is disingenuous - only this week Nissan Sunderland said the future was rosy and Luton had some psa money poured in for new vans last year.
Being in supply chain, I am aware of where the number of jobs lie.
Sawtooth the Beaver

No, you are deliberately misconstruing here - fords have gone up, not everyone else, and no reduction in choice. It only seems simple to you as you are making 2+2=5, it’s not as if prices haven’t risen for cars prior to 2016 or prior to uk joining the eec

uk fiestas becoming more expensive will have a knock on effect for pool old yoyo of course
Fiesta price goes up, some people are priced out of buying one = Reduction in choice.

It's not hard.
shereblue

Post by shereblue »

backrow wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:26 am However much brexiters are derided by remainers regarding unicorns and believing lies fornthe economic effect of brexit, the exact same level of ignorance is displayed on the remainer side re ‘things will be worse and more expensive for the uk consumer’. There is always this assumption that joe public will simply end up paying more, not realising that there are certain price elasticities and alternatives available for any product or service.
I for one am looking forward to buying more food from outside the Eu that will sometimes be cheaper and just as good quality as the overpriced EU equivalent , ditto cars etc

There may even be a backlash against french cars or Irish beef or french cheese by certain sections of the Uk public, once lockdown ends.
Brits on food eh :roll:

Anti-elitist Brexitists bragging about eating in Michelin starred restaurants one minute and blind to the simple benefits of quality FRESH ingredients on tap.

Always looking for a silly, nationalist edge.

Fact is Brexit is fucki ng fresh food supply chains - which benefit all Europeans.

Brits in choosing "sovereignty" over decent food and close trading relations with their neighbours.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Sawtooth the Beaver wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:15 pm

Fiesta price goes up, some people are priced out of buying one = Reduction in choice.

It's not hard.

Ford sell less cars and adapt their supply chains. = return of choice.

It’s not hard.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

shereblue wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:19 pm
backrow wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:26 am However much brexiters are derided by remainers regarding unicorns and believing lies fornthe economic effect of brexit, the exact same level of ignorance is displayed on the remainer side re ‘things will be worse and more expensive for the uk consumer’. There is always this assumption that joe public will simply end up paying more, not realising that there are certain price elasticities and alternatives available for any product or service.

Anti-elitist Brexitists bragging about eating in Michelin starred restaurants one minute and blind to the simple benefits of quality FRESH ingredients on tap.

Fact is Brexit is fucki ng fresh food supply chains - which benefit all Europeans.

Brits in choosing "sovereignty" over decent food and close trading relations with their neighbours.

Go on, this will be good. How are f**ked food supply chains benefiting all Europeans ?
shereblue

Post by shereblue »

bimboman wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:23 pm

It's not hard.

It’s not hard.
Adapting supply chains will be a cost which someone will have to pay for.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

shereblue wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:27 pm
bimboman wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:23 pm

It's not hard.

It’s not hard.
Adapting supply chains will be a cost which someone will have to pay for.

They might buy parts in Europe or the UK cheaper. These are always increases.
shereblue

Post by shereblue »

bimboman wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:24 pm

Go on, this will be good. How are f**ked food supply chains benefiting all Europeans ?
Efficient food supply chains benefit all Europeans - us and "them".

Fuc ked supply chains are bad for consumers and business.
backrow

Post by backrow »

It's not hard.
You are an idiot, you wrote choice or cost - I never said fiestas were not more expensive , if you limit your meaning to new cars only then yes some will be priced out as you say, but that’s two different things. They could buy an older second hand model of fiesta.
Sadly for Ford the fiesta isn’t the superior product and some people will switch to getting a Mazda 2 instead.
Best part of brexit is that it seems to effect people like you :thumbup:
backrow

Post by backrow »

If only there was a way of buying fresh produce from outside of the Eu....

Oh, wait..
shereblue

Post by shereblue »

backrow wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:34 pm

Oh, wait..
You're no patriot if you would deny any advantages of locally British grown food produced to high standards.

Never mind frustrating the ability of suppliers of quality Brit produce to export to Europe.
backrow

Post by backrow »

shereblue wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:47 pm

Oh, wait..
You're no patriot if you would deny any advantages of locally British grown food produced to high standards.

Never mind frustrating the ability of suppliers of quality Brit produce to export to Europe.
As we import more than export, I am not mega worried tbh. I usually pay extra for local produce, but some fruit and veg we will always have to import of course , just not necessarily from Eu any more.
Got some nice cheap tomatoes from Costco on my last visit last month, very tasty and grown to Eu standards, just not imported from an Eu country.
shereblue

Post by shereblue »

backrow wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:10 pm

Oh, wait..

As we import more than export, I am not mega worried tbh. I usually pay extra for local produce, but some fruit and veg we will always have to import of course , just not necessarily from Eu any more.
Got some nice cheap tomatoes from Costco on my last visit last month, very tasty and grown to Eu standards, just not imported from an Eu country.
Guernsey :thumbup: ?
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

I feel you’re running out of road shereblue, I’d suggest keeping your powder dry for a decent disaster :P
shereblue

Post by shereblue »

I suppose it's anti-Brexit and certainly anti Johnson's Brexit but I'm seeing so many of life's little things to regret at the moment. No sky falling in just needless (for me) barriers.

My point on the food front is that "local" didn't used to recognise national boundaries. Just distance.

So Brit fishermen find their markets diminished and nearby Continentals especially miss out on fresh Brit shellfish... and so on across the culinary spectrum.

Going beyond the EU in an attempt to prove "it can be done" just seems a regrettable hurdle

I'll have to "get over it", wait for adaptations by business (not so easy for smaller businesses) and under the T&CA itself.

Not sure what this new found extra sovereignty holds for me (or truthfully that there will be any extra sovereignty at all but that is a separate issue)
backrow

Post by backrow »

shereblue wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:24 pm

Oh, wait..

Guernsey is not a country.
Costco is an American company, their toms on that day also
shereblue

Post by shereblue »

DragsterDriver wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:37 pm I feel you’re running out of road shereblue, I’d suggest keeping your powder dry for a decent disaster :P
Don't worry, I'll be with any counter insurgency, Capitol-style, when anything major does happen.

The big corps will lose but they will adapt.

It's the little things I miss, the little wins of easy exchanges of goods and services to be gained with our neighbours

And don't take this over to Calais on your next duty-free raid. Image
Last edited by shereblue on Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shereblue

Post by shereblue »

backrow wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:42 pm
shereblue wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:24 pm

Oh, wait..

Guernsey is not a country.
Costco is an American company, their toms on that day also
Thanks for educating me.

Hopefully you picked up the Heinz salad cream whilst you were there?
backrow

Post by backrow »

Nope, being ex Unilever I know that anything Heinz is the devils spunk so I stay clear
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

shereblue wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:40 pm I suppose it's anti-Brexit and certainly anti Johnson's Brexit but I'm seeing so many of life's little things to regret at the moment. No sky falling in just needless (for me) barriers.

My point on the food front is that "local" didn't used to recognise national boundaries. Just distance.

So Brit fishermen find their markets diminished and nearby Continentals especially miss out on fresh Brit shellfish... and so on across the culinary spectrum.

Going beyond the EU in an attempt to prove "it can be done" just seems a regrettable hurdle

I'll have to "get over it", wait for adaptations by business (not so easy for smaller businesses) and under the T&CA itself.

Not sure what this new found extra sovereignty holds for me (or truthfully that there will be any extra sovereignty at all but that is a separate issue)

I too am sad about the price of fiestas and that there’s new forms for Scottish fisherman (not English ones surprisingly).
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

shereblue wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:40 pm I suppose it's anti-Brexit and certainly anti Johnson's Brexit but I'm seeing so many of life's little things to regret at the moment. No sky falling in just needless (for me) barriers.

I think the more people chill out, the less drama it will be. At the moment I’m stranded in the U.K. but fully expect post covid to be arsing around europe in my Campervan...sans ham sandwich obvs. There will be a few hurdles but that’s democracy for you!
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

DragsterDriver wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:13 pm

I think the more people chill out, the less drama it will be. At the moment I’m stranded in the U.K. but fully expect post covid to be arsing around europe in my Campervan...sans ham sandwich obvs. There will be a few hurdles but that’s democracy for you!

:thumbup:

I’m hoping to do week in May from Reims to Beaune in a Mo Ho.

Edinburgh is book for June (dunno if that’ll be allowed).

Then trying to convince wife to do all summer in Norfolk or Portugal. Anywhere but my bloody house.
Sawtooth the Beaver

You are an idiot, you wrote choice or cost - I never said fiestas were not more expensive , if you limit your meaning to new cars only then yes some will be priced out as you say, but that’s two different things. They could buy an older second hand model of fiesta.
Sadly for Ford the fiesta isn’t the superior product and some people will switch to getting a Mazda 2 instead.
Best part of brexit is that it seems to effect people like you :thumbup:

Seems it is hard ...

New car costs more, so people's choice is pay up (cost) or limited to getting an old car (choice)

Choice or cost.

Personally, I wouldn't go anywhere near either of these models so missed the mark there too. :thumbup:
Sawtooth the Beaver

They might buy parts in Europe or the UK cheaper. These are always increases.
No cheaper than they could have last year though, eh.