OFFICIAL Brexit Thread

All things Rugby
bimboman

Re: OFFICIAL Brexit Thread

Post by bimboman »

Sawtooth the Beaver wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:38 pm
They might buy parts in Europe or the UK cheaper. These are always increases.
No cheaper than they could have last year though, eh.

Who knows, however in the short term this is bad for German manufacturing base by the looks of it. Let’s hope it gets sorted soon.
backrow

Post by backrow »

bimboman wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:23 pm
DragsterDriver wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:13 pm
shereblue wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:40 pm I suppose it's anti-Brexit and certainly anti Johnson's Brexit but I'm seeing so many of life's little things to regret at the moment. No sky falling in just needless (for me) barriers.

My point on the food front is that "local" didn't used to recognise national boundaries. Just distance.

So Brit fishermen find their markets diminished and nearby Continentals especially miss out on fresh Brit shellfish... and so on across the culinary spectrum.

Going beyond the EU in an attempt to prove "it can be done" just seems a regrettable hurdle

I'll have to "get over it", wait for adaptations by business (not so easy for smaller businesses) and under the T&CA itself.

Not sure what this new found extra sovereignty holds for me (or truthfully that there will be any extra sovereignty at all but that is a separate issue)
I think the more people chill out, the less drama it will be. At the moment I’m stranded in the U.K. but fully expect post covid to be arsing around europe in my Campervan...sans ham sandwich obvs. There will be a few hurdles but that’s democracy for you!

:thumbup:

I’m hoping to do week in May from Reims to Beaune in a Mo Ho.

Edinburgh is book for June (dunno if that’ll be allowed).

Then trying to convince wife to do all summer in Norfolk or Portugal. Anywhere but my bloody house.
Am sure your wife will be happy in Portugal again, more tennis lessons yep?
La soule

Post by La soule »

backrow wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:26 am
There may even be a backlash against french cars or Irish beef or french cheese by certain sections of the Uk public, once lockdown ends.
Yes, f**king French, they forced the UK out of the EU the fuckers.

fudge them.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

La soule wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:54 pm
There may even be a backlash against french cars or Irish beef or french cheese by certain sections of the Uk public, once lockdown ends.

fudge them.

I think we can all agree French cars are shit.
backrow

Post by backrow »

fudge them.
That is precisely how large swathes of the country thinks, much easier for them to ditch buying french cars than the more prestigious and less flammable German ones. Now mad cow has gone and millions of people haven’t died from CJD, the same might happen to the Irish shoe leather business.
La soule

Post by La soule »

bimboman wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:58 pm

fudge them.

I think we can all agree French cars are shit.
Maybe but at least, France still makes and sells cars, regardless of how shit they are.
shereblue

Post by shereblue »

shereblue wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:40 pm I suppose it's anti-Brexit and certainly anti Johnson's Brexit but I'm seeing so many of life's little things to regret at the moment. No sky falling in just needless (for me) barriers.

My point on the food front is that "local" didn't used to recognise national boundaries. Just distance.

So Brit fishermen find their markets diminished and nearby Continentals especially miss out on fresh Brit shellfish... and so on across the culinary spectrum.

Going beyond the EU in an attempt to prove "it can be done" just seems a regrettable hurdle

I'll have to "get over it", wait for adaptations by business (not so easy for smaller businesses) and under the T&CA itself.

Not sure what this new found extra sovereignty holds for me (or truthfully that there will be any extra sovereignty at all but that is a separate issue)
I think the more people chill out, the less drama it will be. At the moment I’m stranded in the U.K. but fully expect post covid to be arsing around europe in my Campervan...sans ham sandwich obvs. There will be a few hurdles but that’s democracy for you!

Then trying to convince wife to do all summer in Norfolk or Portugal. Anywhere but my bloody house.
Shame about the MoHo. I'd formed a happy picture of you and Mrs B struggling to see out the back of your creaking, Champagne and Corton-laden Fiesta.

It may be that Mrs B will tell you Norfolk and Chance but good luck on that score.
La soule

Post by La soule »

backrow wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:59 pm

fudge them.
That is precisely how large swathes of the country thinks, much easier for them to ditch buying french cars than the more prestigious and less flammable German ones. Now mad cow has gone and millions of people haven’t died from CJD, the same might happen to the Irish shoe leather business.
Oh I know.

You do not end up with a PM like Bojo without a sizeable percentage of the population being a bit thick.
Sawtooth the Beaver

Post by Sawtooth the Beaver »

Sawtooth the Beaver wrote: ↑13 Jan 2021 13:38

Who knows, however in the short term this is bad for German manufacturing base by the looks of it. Let’s hope it gets sorted soon.
At least not cheaper because of Brexit we can safely say.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Sawtooth the Beaver wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:29 pm

It may well become cheaper,
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

La soule wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:06 pm

fudge them.
Oh I know.

You do not end up with a PM like Bojo without a sizeable percentage of the population being a bit thick.

“I’m really clever me”.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

shereblue wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:04 pm

Shame about the MoHo. I'd formed a happy picture of you and Mrs B struggling to see out the back of your creaking, Champagne and Corton-laden Fiesta.

It may be that Mrs B will tell you Norfolk and Chance but good luck on that score.

I’m not going to France with her it’s a gents

She wants Norfolk, I want Portugal.
Gospel

Post by Gospel »

La soule wrote:You do not end up with a PM like Bojo without a sizeable percentage of the population being a bit thick.
Did you not see the state of the other guy? He'd have probably made his own brother the UK's vaccine czar.
La soule

Post by La soule »

Gospel wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:40 pm
La soule wrote:You do not end up with a PM like Bojo without a sizeable percentage of the population being a bit thick.
Did you not see the state of the other guy? He'd have probably made his own brother the UK's vaccine czar.
The choice was dire I agree. The Tories let a bunch of assholes take over the party though. I am sure there are better options than Bojo Gove & Co.
Gospel

Post by Gospel »

La soule wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:10 pm
Gospel wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:40 pm
The choice was dire I agree. The Tories let a bunch of assholes take over the party though. I am sure there are better options than Bojo Gove & Co.
They're not assholes - they're just woefully out of their depth in managing the UK's response to a global pandemic. I don't see much coming from the opposition they even admit in their own comms that their messaging is confused.

Scotland are having a shit-show all round but Sturgeon gets a free pass from the UK media. As BM mentioned the other day the SNP announce they're looking at mass vaccination centres on the same day they have already opened in England but no one thinks to mention this.
RodneyRegis

Post by RodneyRegis »

Petej wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:43 am
backrow wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:16 am
RodneyRegis wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:56 am
Sawtooth the Beaver wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:19 am Autocar
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/indu ... t%E2%80%9D

This doesn't make any sense.

Sounds like classic "blame Brexit because we want to charge more".

Guess they'd better hope the market will bear it. Any other manufacturers hiking prices?
In time they all will of course, but directly due to brexit , probably not, especially for those few dozen cars actually made in the Uk. What is a decent competitor for the fiesta, a Mazda 2 like i guessed ? If I was Mr Mazda GM for Uk I’d be rubbing my hands with glee seeing Ford out their prices up on fiestas as they are in effect giving you a promotional discount on your own goodrs which have overnight become relatively cheaper.
Depends, margins are thin on such products it is unlikely due to the interlinking of supply chains that if Mr ford has to increase prices others don't follow.

Brexit is like a very slow puncture to uk manufacturing industries which operate on longer timescales and reports tend to focus on nissan or honda rather than on the supply chain where there are more jobs.

Where I worked has sacked off internal investment in the UK in favour of germany, spain, usa since the brexit vote. Lots of early retirements and people not being replaced rather than people being fired.

Yes, I'm sure they have.

I'm equally sure they will start investing again if they believe it will be profitable.

Can we wait more than 2 weeks before using the current situation to predict the future, especially given certain other global circumstances?
Sawtooth the Beaver

bimboman » 13 Jan 2021 14:30

Sawtooth the Beaver wrote: ↑13 Jan 2021 14:29

Tempt me with that unicorn.

How will a part be manufactured in the UK or the EU become cheaper specifically because of Brexit and how soon.

I could postulate but interested to hear your view.
RodneyRegis

Post by RodneyRegis »

shereblue wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:19 pm
backrow wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:26 am However much brexiters are derided by remainers regarding unicorns and believing lies fornthe economic effect of brexit, the exact same level of ignorance is displayed on the remainer side re ‘things will be worse and more expensive for the uk consumer’. There is always this assumption that joe public will simply end up paying more, not realising that there are certain price elasticities and alternatives available for any product or service.
I for one am looking forward to buying more food from outside the Eu that will sometimes be cheaper and just as good quality as the overpriced EU equivalent , ditto cars etc

Brits on food eh :roll:

Anti-elitist Brexitists bragging about eating in Michelin starred restaurants one minute and blind to the simple benefits of quality FRESH ingredients on tap.

Always looking for a silly, nationalist edge.

Fact is Brexit is fucki ng fresh food supply chains - which benefit all Europeans.

Brits in choosing "sovereignty" over decent food and close trading relations with their neighbours.
Where are you from?
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Sawtooth the Beaver wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:41 pm

How will a part be manufactured in the UK or the EU become cheaper specifically because of Brexit and how soon.

Markets adjust. In this case parts manufacturing in low wage low regulation EU countries will make them .....
backrow

Post by backrow »

How’s about weaker pound than five years ago makes the widget made in UK cheaper?
Oh, and the staff there cheaper vis workshy frogs,micks, wops and dagos
Leinster in London

Post by Leinster in London »

backrow wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:11 pm

How’s about weaker pound than five years ago makes the widget made in UK cheaper?
Do think the English themselves will now start to clear the turds from the swimming pools?
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

La soule wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:06 pm

fudge them.
Oh I know.

You end up with Boris to ‘Get Brexit done’- that’s on remains head I’m afraid.
backrow

Post by backrow »

Leinster in London wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:15 pm

Do think the English themselves will now start to clear the turds from the swimming pools?
Do think the Irish catholic’s themselves will now start to clear the pederasts from the churches and schools?
Sawtooth the Beaver

Markets adjust. In this case parts manufacturing in low wage low regulation EU countries will make them .....
They could have done that Brexit or no Brexit. No difference with respect to the US.

I find backrows argument about the weakness of the pound more salient. Especially if we can knock out some of those pesky working regulations ;)
P in VG

Post by P in VG »

I can't wait to swan around in an Austin Allegro 2.0
YOYO

Post by YOYO »

fudge them.
Don’t forget to boycott Dutch sandwiches in retaliation.
terryfinch

Post by terryfinch »

fudge them.
Well the French were a key player in not thinking creatively how to respond to David Cameron’s request for help in sorting out a workable relationship for the UK in an EU bloc dead set on greater integration. That ultimately helped force the UK out of the EU.
Yer Man

Post by Yer Man »

YOYO wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:00 pm

fudge them.
What about Dutch Ovens?
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Sawtooth the Beaver wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:46 pm
They could have done that Brexit or no Brexit. No difference with respect to the US.

I find backrows argument about the weakness of the pound more salient. Especially if we can knock out some of those pesky working regulations ;)

Yeah, we could have Bulgarian regulations and minimum wage.
C69

Post by C69 »

Yer Man wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:26 pm

fudge them.
What about Dutch Ovens?
Or Dutch caps?
Gospel

Post by Gospel »

We should out source our nuclear waste management to the mafia just like the Italians have done. That will bring us more into line with the EU's environmental regs. :proud:
backrow

Post by backrow »

Yer Man wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:26 pm

fudge them.
What about Dutch Ovens?
Just so long as it’s not german ovens
Raus raus
backrow

Post by backrow »

P in VG wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:56 pm I can't wait to swan around in an Austin Allegro 2.0
The allegro kind of encapsulates everything that was wrong with the Uk when we joined the Eec: you ever seen the first designs for it ?

http://www.leylandprincess.co.uk/HarrisMann.htm

Modern desingn and oily bits such as gas suspension and rustproofing, gave way to bad management, committees, and unions forcing them to lumber on with old engines and methods , that ended up with a badly made shitheap. The best thing the Eu ever did for us, was helping the Uk throw away the bad bits of the 1970’s
Sadly they got a bit too Leftie (France) and trying to impose their rules (Germany), because the Eec was a good thing.
shereblue

Post by shereblue »

RodneyRegis wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:45 pm
backrow wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:26 am However much brexiters are derided by remainers regarding unicorns and believing lies fornthe economic effect of brexit, the exact same level of ignorance is displayed on the remainer side re ‘things will be worse and more expensive for the uk consumer’. There is always this assumption that joe public will simply end up paying more, not realising that there are certain price elasticities and alternatives available for any product or service.
I for one am looking forward to buying more food from outside the Eu that will sometimes be cheaper and just as good quality as the overpriced EU equivalent , ditto cars etc

Anti-elitist Brexitists bragging about eating in Michelin starred restaurants one minute and blind to the simple benefits of quality FRESH ingredients on tap.

Fact is Brexit is fucki ng fresh food supply chains - which benefit all Europeans.

Brits in choosing "sovereignty" over decent food and close trading relations with their neighbours.
Where are you from?
Surrey Hills. And you?
shereblue

Post by shereblue »

Frogs work more productively than thick Brexitists which gives them more leisure time.
Sawtooth the Beaver

y bimboman » 13 Jan 2021 17:33

Sawtooth the Beaver wrote: ↑13 Jan 2021 16:46

Yeah, we could have Bulgarian regulations and minimum wage.
Yeah, that would really stick to the French and Germans.
backrow

Post by backrow »

shereblue wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:15 pm

Frogs work more productively than thick Brexitists which gives them more leisure time.
If you take out all the paper cost and bloated admin that a french worker incurs forntheir enployer, this is patently not true. Job mobility is far less in France than uk and you get far more frenchies doing empty roles sitting on their arses, notngetting anything done but being measured as productive output as being greater than a country that uses contractors more like Uk or especially USA.

Productivity is a huge topic , and if shorter hours but higher wages alone is the measure then yes France is ahead of uk by quite some way.
RodneyRegis

Post by RodneyRegis »

shereblue wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:10 pm
RodneyRegis wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:45 pm

Where are you from?
Surrey Hills. And you?
You are so odd.
shereblue

Post by shereblue »

backrow wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:05 pm
shereblue wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:15 pm

If you take out all the paper cost and bloated admin that a french worker incurs forntheir enployer, this is patently not true. Job mobility is far less in France than uk and you get far more frenchies doing empty roles sitting on their arses, notngetting anything done but being measured as productive output as being greater than a country that uses contractors more like Uk or especially USA.

Productivity is a huge topic , and if shorter hours but higher wages alone is the measure then yes France is ahead of uk by quite some way.
So greater job security as well as more leisure time.

Seems a tad unfair but chin up.
ox wagon

Post by ox wagon »

backrow wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:26 amHowever much brexiters are derided by remainers regarding unicorns and believing lies fornthe economic effect of brexit, the exact same level of ignorance is displayed on the remainer side re ‘things will be worse and more expensive for the uk consumer’. There is always this assumption that joe public will simply end up paying more, not realising that there are certain price elasticities and alternatives available for any product or service.

This is where Brexit has ended up, a trade war launched by the UK on itself for political reasons that'll create ongoing economic uncertainty. It seems based on two ideas.

That deep economic integration with neighboring economies produced no productivity gains, or did but only initially decades ago. When Brexiters dismiss EU regulation/standards and say deregulation will improve productivity, they're stating they can put up non-tariff barriers (and the deal doesn't preclude actual tariffs in the future) and also still have any productivity gains deregulation could provide.

That geographic location is irrelevant. When every nation on the planet does outsized trade with their neighbors/region. Every nation trades relatively more with a small/medium sized economy neighboring it compared to a giant economy on the other side of the world. The UK trades as much with Ireland (value of imports and exports) as it does with India/Brazil/Russia combined. China does as much trade (value of imports and exports) with Taiwan/South Korea/Vietnam combined as it does with the USA.

The EU does about as much trade (value of exports and imports) with the UK as it does with the USA or China. The UK is much smaller than both the USA and China, but closer. But if economic integration is irrelevant and geography doesn't matter either, what explains that? The UK doesn't seem to have a workable alternate model, so added costs for the UK and not much else it is then.