Chat Forum
It is currently Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:50 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Tier 1 countries
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:24 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11135
Location: Tahstown
nardol wrote:
A5D5E5 wrote:
nardol wrote:
Hellraiser wrote:
Japan have been together for over 200 hundred days, are at home, and are completely adapted to local weather conditions. Let's see if they're Tier 1 when they have to compete home and away against others on a level playing field.

agree


Argentina had to prove themselves over 2 or 3 cycles to be allowed up. To prove that they were able to replace the players they lost.


To those wanting a larger world cup. No.

The tournament is long enough and the players already play too much.


Can you give me a link to the formal allocation of teams to tiers and the criteria used to determine this please?


Yes for 1 no for 2 - which is the point of this thread

World Council voting
Tier 1
England 3 votes
Wales 3 votes
Scotland 3 votes
Italy 3 votes
New Zealand 3 votes
Australia 3 votes
Argentina 2 votes
Regional Associations
Oceania 2 votes
South America 2 votes
North America 2 votes
Africa 2 votes
Europe 2 votes
Asia 2 votes
Other Unions
Canada 1 vote
USA 1 vote
Japan 1 vote
Georgia 1 vote
Romanian 1 vote
Total: 37 votes

Gee the OI teams are screwed


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tier 1 countries
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 19230
kiap wrote:
A5D5E5 wrote:
nardol wrote:
Can you give me a link to the formal allocation of teams to tiers and the criteria used to determine this please?


Yes for 1 no for 2 - which is the point of this thread

World Council voting
Tier 1
England 3 votes
Wales 3 votes
Scotland 3 votes
Italy 3 votes
New Zealand 3 votes
Australia 3 votes
Argentina 2 votes
Regional Associations
Oceania 2 votes
South America 2 votes
North America 2 votes
Africa 2 votes
Europe 2 votes
Asia 2 votes
Other Unions
Canada 1 vote
USA 1 vote
Japan 1 vote
Georgia 1 vote
Romanian 1 vote
Total: 37 votes


No link provided.

That information is hopelessly out of date


You are correct - thre have been some additions.

https://www.world.rugby/news/379046 - World Rugby welcomes Fiji and Samoa onto expanded Council
World Rugby has welcomed Fiji and Samoa onto an expanded Council, while Burkina Faso and Lebanon were accepted as associate members on an historic day for the international federation.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tier 1 countries
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 28261
grievous wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
johnstrac wrote:
World rugby needs to be opened up more, 19 of the teams that qualified in 2015 were at 2019 and (I'm sure that) 11 of the 12 that are already qualified for 2023 pre qualified for 2019.


I've said for a while that the World Cup needs to expand with more tier 2 competition. Spain, Brazil, Romania are all there or there abouts.

You keep saying that but how big do you want Brazil walloped by? 100 point thrashings are gone but we still have 50-70 pointers. The tournament needs a smaller point spread when 1 plays 20 or its regressing. It’s getting there maybe 2027 but it depends what WR put to place to guide this between WCs


Some of the countries not in the WRC are ranked higher than those in it. Why assume there will be a series of 100 point thrashings when we haven't had any? Especially given the support many countries now get for RWC preparation (Uruguay for example).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tier 1 countries
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:57 pm
Posts: 11173
nardol wrote:
kiap wrote:
A5D5E5 wrote:
nardol wrote:
Can you give me a link to the formal allocation of teams to tiers and the criteria used to determine this please?


Yes for 1 no for 2 - which is the point of this thread

World Council voting
Tier 1
England 3 votes
Wales 3 votes
Scotland 3 votes
Italy 3 votes
New Zealand 3 votes
Australia 3 votes
Argentina 2 votes
Regional Associations
Oceania 2 votes
South America 2 votes
North America 2 votes
Africa 2 votes
Europe 2 votes
Asia 2 votes
Other Unions
Canada 1 vote
USA 1 vote
Japan 1 vote
Georgia 1 vote
Romanian 1 vote
Total: 37 votes


No link provided.

That information is hopelessly out of date


You are correct - thre have been some additions.

https://www.world.rugby/news/379046 - World Rugby welcomes Fiji and Samoa onto expanded Council
World Rugby has welcomed Fiji and Samoa onto an expanded Council, while Burkina Faso and Lebanon were accepted as associate members on an historic day for the international federation.


Exactly. It is opaque elitist bullshit.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tier 1 countries
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 19392
A5D5E5 wrote:
the criteria for deciding which country goes in which box?


Here's how it works for the WR Council:

    (a) 1 vote if you have qualified for the RWC both times in the relevant 8-year window.

    (b) an extra vote for those in (a) who are in 6N or TRC

    (c) an extra vote to those in (a) who (i) spend £80 million on rugby over 4 years + (ii) have bid in the past 8 years, or are bidding in the next 4, for major WR events + (iii) participate in Women's RWC qualifiers over last 8 years with a consistent, sustainable women's program + (iv) have men's and women's 7s programs - minimum participation at regional level.

Additionally 2 votes to each continental region.


So Argentina currently have 3 votes.

Japan currently have 2 but will get 3 when (assuming word on the street holds up) they join TRC ...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tier 1 countries
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:45 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11135
Location: Tahstown
eldanielfire wrote:
grievous wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
johnstrac wrote:
World rugby needs to be opened up more, 19 of the teams that qualified in 2015 were at 2019 and (I'm sure that) 11 of the 12 that are already qualified for 2023 pre qualified for 2019.


I've said for a while that the World Cup needs to expand with more tier 2 competition. Spain, Brazil, Romania are all there or there abouts.

You keep saying that but how big do you want Brazil walloped by? 100 point thrashings are gone but we still have 50-70 pointers. The tournament needs a smaller point spread when 1 plays 20 or its regressing. It’s getting there maybe 2027 but it depends what WR put to place to guide this between WCs


Some of the countries not in the WRC are ranked higher than those in it. Why assume there will be a series of 100 point thrashings when we haven't had any? Especially given the support many countries now get for RWC preparation (Uruguay for example).

Because it doesn’t work with direct rankings it’s regional. Brazil, Kenya and South Korea are as high as 30 and they could get in, they are not ready. I’m saying also 50 point thrashings need to be eliminated never mind 100.
Not every country has Uruguay’s program, your just being emotional rather than any facts presented on why it’s a good idea


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tier 1 countries
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 19230
Ireland were ranked #1 coming into the WC.....


Interesting kiap, didn't know that


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tier 1 countries
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:47 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11135
Location: Tahstown
kiap wrote:
A5D5E5 wrote:
the criteria for deciding which country goes in which box?


Here's how it works for the WR Council:

    (a) 1 vote if you have qualified for the RWC both times in the relevant 8-year window.

    (b) an extra vote for those in (a) who are in 6N or TRC

    (c) an extra vote to those in (a) who (i) spend £80 million on rugby over 4 years + (ii) have bid in the past 8 years, or are bidding in the next 4, for major WR events + (iii) participate in Women's RWC qualifiers over last 8 years with a consistent, sustainable women's program + (iv) have men's and women's 7s programs - minimum participation at regional level.

Additionally 2 votes to each continental region.


So Argentina currently have 3 votes.

Japan currently have 2 but will get 3 when (assuming word on the street holds up) they join TRC ...

Joining with who? A bye won’t be palatable


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tier 1 countries
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 19392
grievous wrote:
Joining with who? A bye won’t be palatable


Dunno. Put that question to the two keewees Raelene + new mate Mark Robinson

Obviously there are already byes. Really, it comes down to the bottom £ine, rather than byes.

But, after Japan, they may keep looking


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tier 1 countries
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 28261
grievous wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
grievous wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
johnstrac wrote:
World rugby needs to be opened up more, 19 of the teams that qualified in 2015 were at 2019 and (I'm sure that) 11 of the 12 that are already qualified for 2023 pre qualified for 2019.


I've said for a while that the World Cup needs to expand with more tier 2 competition. Spain, Brazil, Romania are all there or there abouts.

You keep saying that but how big do you want Brazil walloped by? 100 point thrashings are gone but we still have 50-70 pointers. The tournament needs a smaller point spread when 1 plays 20 or its regressing. It’s getting there maybe 2027 but it depends what WR put to place to guide this between WCs


Some of the countries not in the WRC are ranked higher than those in it. Why assume there will be a series of 100 point thrashings when we haven't had any? Especially given the support many countries now get for RWC preparation (Uruguay for example).

Because it doesn’t work with direct rankings it’s regional. Brazil, Kenya and South Korea are as high as 30 and they could get in, they are not ready. I’m saying also 50 point thrashings need to be eliminated never mind 100.
Not every country has Uruguay’s program, your just being emotional rather than any facts presented on why it’s a good idea


Brazil have beaten Canada this year and just shaded a loss to the USA this year all world cup prepped teams. I didn't mention Kenya or South Korea, though Chile are also on Brazil's level. Brazil have also run Uruguay close. as well in recent years. Also Spain and Romania are without better than Russia.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tier 1 countries
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:04 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:53 pm
Posts: 2811
kiap wrote:
A5D5E5 wrote:
the criteria for deciding which country goes in which box?


Here's how it works for the WR Council:

    (a) 1 vote if you have qualified for the RWC both times in the relevant 8-year window.

    (b) an extra vote for those in (a) who are in 6N or TRC

    (c) an extra vote to those in (a) who (i) spend £80 million on rugby over 4 years + (ii) have bid in the past 8 years, or are bidding in the next 4, for major WR events + (iii) participate in Women's RWC qualifiers over last 8 years with a consistent, sustainable women's program + (iv) have men's and women's 7s programs - minimum participation at regional level.

Additionally 2 votes to each continental region.


So Argentina currently have 3 votes.

Japan currently have 2 but will get 3 when (assuming word on the street holds up) they join TRC ...


Be amazed if that happens, the have just kicked the Sunwolves out of the Super Rugby, also Japan voted for France to host the 2023 WC when the SANZAAR members all voted for South Africa. There are rumours that this is why the Sunwolves were kicked out.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tier 1 countries
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 19392
mdaclarke wrote:
also Japan voted for France to host the 2023 WC when the SANZAAR members all voted for South Africa. There are rumours that this is why the Sunwolves were kicked out.

You've got to separate Super Rugby from internationals. One of the two is running on borrowed time and ever on the hook for money. The other is still scraping by.

To be sure, South Africa never wanted the Sunwolves - although that on its own was not sufficient to ensure the Sunwolves' demise.

mdaclarke wrote:
Be amazed if that happens, the have just kicked the Sunwolves out of the Super Rugby,

Not quite. Japan didn't really want the Sunwolves either. How it went down is that they baulked at paying the additional ongoing participation fee. SA already didn't care so it was a question of either NZ and AU footing the difference ... or bu-bye Sunwolves.

A no-brainer for those with long pockets in the end.

Japan are going their own way on pro rugby rather than queuing up for stale soup. Not a hard decision to make, TBH. Unlike the Hag-warez, the Moondogs were a team with more foreigners than a local pathway anyway.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tier 1 countries
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:45 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 8851
Location: Sydney Town
kiap wrote:
A5D5E5 wrote:
the criteria for deciding which country goes in which box?


Here's how it works for the WR Council:

    (a) 1 vote if you have qualified for the RWC both times in the relevant 8-year window.

    (b) an extra vote for those in (a) who are in 6N or TRC

    (c) an extra vote to those in (a) who (i) spend £80 million on rugby over 4 years + (ii) have bid in the past 8 years, or are bidding in the next 4, for major WR events + (iii) participate in Women's RWC qualifiers over last 8 years with a consistent, sustainable women's program + (iv) have men's and women's 7s programs - minimum participation at regional level.

Additionally 2 votes to each continental region.


So Argentina currently have 3 votes.

Japan currently have 2 but will get 3 when (assuming word on the street holds up) they join TRC ...


Jesus no wonder the tier-2s get screwed. That voting system is designed by the oldboys network for the benefit of the oldboys network.

Just have one vote per country and then for votes regarding their own elite competitions (ie: RC and 6N/SR), give those members another vote. That's it. All that other nonsense is rubbish.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tier 1 countries
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:52 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 4121
Auckman wrote:
kiap wrote:
A5D5E5 wrote:
the criteria for deciding which country goes in which box?


Here's how it works for the WR Council:

    (a) 1 vote if you have qualified for the RWC both times in the relevant 8-year window.

    (b) an extra vote for those in (a) who are in 6N or TRC

    (c) an extra vote to those in (a) who (i) spend £80 million on rugby over 4 years + (ii) have bid in the past 8 years, or are bidding in the next 4, for major WR events + (iii) participate in Women's RWC qualifiers over last 8 years with a consistent, sustainable women's program + (iv) have men's and women's 7s programs - minimum participation at regional level.

Additionally 2 votes to each continental region.


So Argentina currently have 3 votes.

Japan currently have 2 but will get 3 when (assuming word on the street holds up) they join TRC ...


Jesus no wonder the tier-2s get screwed. That voting system is designed by the oldboys network for the benefit of the oldboys network.

Just have one vote per country and then for votes regarding their own elite competitions (ie: RC and 6N/SR), give those members another vote. That's it. All that other nonsense is rubbish.


fudge off.

Burkina Faso's vote should not carry the same weight as England, New Zealand, or South Africa's.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tier 1 countries
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:55 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 8851
Location: Sydney Town
Sonny Blount wrote:
Auckman wrote:

Jesus no wonder the tier-2s get screwed. That voting system is designed by the oldboys network for the benefit of the oldboys network.

Just have one vote per country and then for votes regarding their own elite competitions (ie: RC and 6N/SR), give those members another vote. That's it. All that other nonsense is rubbish.


fudge off.

Burkina Faso's vote should not carry the same weight as England, New Zealand, or South Africa's.


you fudge off, why not? England, NZ, and SA's interests will be protected by their extra vote on all things concerning them.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tier 1 countries
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:56 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 4121
Anyway, the tiers I think of in terms of playing ability are:

Tier 1 is countries that can turn up to a World Cup with a genuine chance to win it.
New Zealand
South Africa
England
Australia
France
Ireland
Wales

Tier 2 are countries that can beat a Tier 1 nation in a one off test.
Argentina
Scotland
Japan
Italy
Fiji
Samoa
Tonga

Tier 3 are countries that would expect to make it the the RWC.
Canada
USA
Georgia
Namibia
Romania
Russia
Uruguay

Everyone else that doesn't seriously chase a RWC finals appearance is Tier 4


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tier 1 countries
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:03 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 4121
Auckman wrote:
Sonny Blount wrote:
Auckman wrote:

Jesus no wonder the tier-2s get screwed. That voting system is designed by the oldboys network for the benefit of the oldboys network.

Just have one vote per country and then for votes regarding their own elite competitions (ie: RC and 6N/SR), give those members another vote. That's it. All that other nonsense is rubbish.


fudge off.

Burkina Faso's vote should not carry the same weight as England, New Zealand, or South Africa's.


you fudge off, why not? England, NZ, and SA's interests will be protected by their extra vote on all things concerning them.



Majoritarianism is not good.

The 92 member nations can just push the 10 RWC/6N countries around and do what they like with the RWC revenues which they had very little to do with generating.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tier 1 countries
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:09 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 982
I'm with Stuart Barnes (for once). F#ck the terms Tier 1, Tier 2,..., off. They're anachronistic, hierarchical and ultimately, they're used for the purpose maintaining an elitist status quo that checks the progress of other nations. Very imperial.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tier 1 countries
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:10 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 16621
Location: STRAYA PLUM
Tier 1 (4 votes): Countries that have fairly (ie not relying on cancelled games to get them out of the pool stages) made it out of every pool round at every rugby world cup and won at least 2 world cups.
This currently includes:
Australia

Tier Two (3 votes): Making it to the semis regularly:
NZ
SA
England
Argentina
Wales
France

Tier 3 (2 votes): Making it to the quarters
Scotland
Ireland
Japan
Fiji

Tier 4 (1 vote): Regularly at the world cup:
Italy
Georgia
Namibia
Samoa
Tonga
USA
Canada
Romania
Russia
Uruguay
Portugal

Tier 5 (0 votes): Others
The rest

This seems the only fair and reasonable split.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tier 1 countries
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:10 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 8851
Location: Sydney Town
Sonny Blount wrote:
Auckman wrote:
Sonny Blount wrote:

fudge off.

Burkina Faso's vote should not carry the same weight as England, New Zealand, or South Africa's.


you fudge off, why not? England, NZ, and SA's interests will be protected by their extra vote on all things concerning them.



Majoritarianism is not good.

The 92 member nations can just push the 10 RWC/6N countries around and do what they like with the RWC revenues which they had very little to do with generating.


So just make it that only those who have ever played at the world cup have the right to vote on RWC world cup revenues. Easy.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tier 1 countries
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:56 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 16228
Location: Haunting your dreams
Sonny Blount wrote:
Anyway, the tiers I think of in terms of playing ability are:

Tier 1 is countries that can turn up to a World Cup with a genuine chance to win it.
New Zealand
South Africa
England
Australia
France
Ireland
Wales

Tier 2 are countries that can beat a Tier 1 nation in a one off test.
Argentina
Scotland
Japan
Italy
Fiji
Samoa
Tonga

Tier 3 are countries that would expect to make it the the RWC.
Canada
USA
Georgia
Namibia
Romania
Russia
Uruguay

Everyone else that doesn't seriously chase a RWC finals appearance is Tier 4


That's a nice arbitrary list that is only relevant to you.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tier 1 countries
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:49 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 6070
Location: Vandean Coast
Surely the only requirement for Tier 1 status is whether or not your national union can afford to send a whopping big fat cheque to Bill Beaumont


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tier 1 countries
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:19 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11135
Location: Tahstown
[/quote]
You keep saying that but how big do you want Brazil walloped by? 100 point thrashings are gone but we still have 50-70 pointers. The tournament needs a smaller point spread when 1 plays 20 or its regressing. It’s getting there maybe 2027 but it depends what WR put to place to guide this between WCs[/quote]

Some of the countries not in the WRC are ranked higher than those in it. Why assume there will be a series of 100 point thrashings when we haven't had any? Especially given the support many countries now get for RWC preparation (Uruguay for example).[/quote]
Because it doesn’t work with direct rankings it’s regional. Brazil, Kenya and South Korea are as high as 30 and they could get in, they are not ready. I’m saying also 50 point thrashings need to be eliminated never mind 100.
Not every country has Uruguay’s program, your just being emotional rather than any facts presented on why it’s a good idea[/quote]

Brazil have beaten Canada this year and just shaded a loss to the USA this year all world cup prepped teams. I didn't mention Kenya or South Korea, though Chile are also on Brazil's level. Brazil have also run Uruguay close. as well in recent years. Also Spain and Romania are without better than Russia.[/quote]
You're still not making sense, those teams are end of the spectrum, the thrashing come when 1 plays 20. The teams I mentioned would likely qualify if opened up to 24. Depth isn't there.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tier 1 countries
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:23 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11135
Location: Tahstown
mabunch78 wrote:
I'm with Stuart Barnes (for once). F#ck the terms Tier 1, Tier 2,..., off. They're anachronistic, hierarchical and ultimately, they're used for the purpose maintaining an elitist status quo that checks the progress of other nations. Very imperial.

Calling themselves tier 2 and beyond highlights that they are not on a level playing field, Barnes can feck off


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tier 1 countries
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:38 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 1091
grievous wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
grievous wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
johnstrac wrote:
World rugby needs to be opened up more, 19 of the teams that qualified in 2015 were at 2019 and (I'm sure that) 11 of the 12 that are already qualified for 2023 pre qualified for 2019.


I've said for a while that the World Cup needs to expand with more tier 2 competition. Spain, Brazil, Romania are all there or there abouts.

You keep saying that but how big do you want Brazil walloped by? 100 point thrashings are gone but we still have 50-70 pointers. The tournament needs a smaller point spread when 1 plays 20 or its regressing. It’s getting there maybe 2027 but it depends what WR put to place to guide this between WCs


Some of the countries not in the WRC are ranked higher than those in it. Why assume there will be a series of 100 point thrashings when we haven't had any? Especially given the support many countries now get for RWC preparation (Uruguay for example).

Because it doesn’t work with direct rankings it’s regional. Brazil, Kenya and South Korea are as high as 30 and they could get in, they are not ready. I’m saying also 50 point thrashings need to be eliminated never mind 100.
Not every country has Uruguay’s program, your just being emotional rather than any facts presented on why it’s a good idea

Thats BS. Even tier 1 vs tier 1 produces those from time to time. It wasn’t that long ago that Ireland got trashed by 60 by NZ and I recall Oz being at the end of some heavy beatings too.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tier 1 countries
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:04 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 28261
Auckman wrote:
kiap wrote:
A5D5E5 wrote:
the criteria for deciding which country goes in which box?


Here's how it works for the WR Council:

    (a) 1 vote if you have qualified for the RWC both times in the relevant 8-year window.

    (b) an extra vote for those in (a) who are in 6N or TRC

    (c) an extra vote to those in (a) who (i) spend £80 million on rugby over 4 years + (ii) have bid in the past 8 years, or are bidding in the next 4, for major WR events + (iii) participate in Women's RWC qualifiers over last 8 years with a consistent, sustainable women's program + (iv) have men's and women's 7s programs - minimum participation at regional level.

Additionally 2 votes to each continental region.


So Argentina currently have 3 votes.

Japan currently have 2 but will get 3 when (assuming word on the street holds up) they join TRC ...


Jesus no wonder the tier-2s get screwed. That voting system is designed by the oldboys network for the benefit of the oldboys network.

Just have one vote per country and then for votes regarding their own elite competitions (ie: RC and 6N/SR), give those members another vote. That's it. All that other nonsense is rubbish.


It's not entirely rubbish given Tier 1 nations by their actions or presence literally pay for and support the entirety of global rugby to some degree. Like it or not Rugby's income comes via limited streams, it isn't football and it clearly needs a base input to even develop teams.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tier 1 countries
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:05 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 4121
eldanielfire wrote:
Auckman wrote:
kiap wrote:
A5D5E5 wrote:
the criteria for deciding which country goes in which box?


Here's how it works for the WR Council:

    (a) 1 vote if you have qualified for the RWC both times in the relevant 8-year window.

    (b) an extra vote for those in (a) who are in 6N or TRC

    (c) an extra vote to those in (a) who (i) spend £80 million on rugby over 4 years + (ii) have bid in the past 8 years, or are bidding in the next 4, for major WR events + (iii) participate in Women's RWC qualifiers over last 8 years with a consistent, sustainable women's program + (iv) have men's and women's 7s programs - minimum participation at regional level.

Additionally 2 votes to each continental region.


So Argentina currently have 3 votes.

Japan currently have 2 but will get 3 when (assuming word on the street holds up) they join TRC ...


Jesus no wonder the tier-2s get screwed. That voting system is designed by the oldboys network for the benefit of the oldboys network.

Just have one vote per country and then for votes regarding their own elite competitions (ie: RC and 6N/SR), give those members another vote. That's it. All that other nonsense is rubbish.


It's not entirely rubbish given Tier 1 nations by their actions or presence literally pay for and support the entirety of global rugby to some degree. Like it or not Rugby's income comes via limited streams, it isn't football and it clearly needs a base input to even develop teams.


New Zealand has put 50 on against every tier 1 team at some point.


Last edited by Sonny Blount on Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tier 1 countries
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:43 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:10 am
Posts: 145
World Rugby doesn't use Tiers anymore, only fans and the media do even though some teams are clearly better than a bunch of supposed "Tier 1" teams, namely Japan and Fiji.

Additionally Tiers are only really used by UK and Australia/NZ media. French media and fans never use it nor does Argentina or Italy. The French have always had a better relationship with the smaller rugby countries though.

World Rugby uses the term High Performance, Performance, Targeted and Development.

High Performance Band includes:

NZ
Aus
SA
Arg
Eng
Fra
Ire
Wal
Sco
Ita
Jap
USA
Can
Uru
Fij
Sam
Tga
Rom
Geo
Nam
Rus

Performance Band:

Spa
Por
Bra
Chl
Ger

Basically countries that don't have as established games as the above but show promise

Targeted:

China
Mexico
India

Aka large countries WR wants the sport to take hold in

Other:

Everyone else


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tier 1 countries
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 7886
Location: London
I'd be very curious to see what would happen if there was proper funding given to places that have a rugby tradition and good numbers but are dirt poor. I.e. Madagascar and Sri Lanka.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tier 1 countries
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 9846
Location: Indiana
Tier 1 - NZ, England, Australia, South Africa, Ireland, Wales, France
Tier 1.5 - Scotland, Italy, Argentina, Japan
Tier 2 - Fiji, Samoa, Tonga, Georgia
Tier 2.5 - USA, Canada, Uruguay, Namibia, Romania, Spain
Tier 3 - the rest...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tier 1 countries
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 15131
A5D5E5 wrote:
Why does anyone give a toss about this elitist tier x shit. It is entirely arbitrary and pointless.

There are different teams. Some are good, some less so. Rugby would be better if there were more good teams and fewer weaker ones. It doesn't matter what you call them so why try to categorise them?

Thank fudge someone said it.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bimboman, danthefan, Gordon Bennett, irishrugbyua, KnuckleDragger, message #2527204, Mullet 2, MungoMan, Risteard, Saint, Sensible Stephen, sewa, Ted., Tehui, Tussock, ZappaMan and 88 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group