Trudeau stays

Post by Sun Tzu »

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/10/22/canadia ... t-cbc.html

A great result for our movement.

Well done bae xx
mabunch78

Re: Trudeau stays

Post by mabunch78 »

Wouldn't the NDP be more up the alley of your movement...?
Sun Tzu

Post by Sun Tzu »

mabunch78 wrote:Wouldn't the NDP be more up the alley of your movement...?
All I know is Trudeau is fit 8)
gurudoright

Post by gurudoright »

Sun Tzu wrote:
mabunch78 wrote:Wouldn't the NDP be more up the alley of your movement...?
All I know is Trudeau is fit 8)

but my gosh, don't he know it?
jamesfreeman

Post by jamesfreeman »

More nauseating and phony wokeness to be projected... But hey they have to put up with Trump as a counter...
Flyin Ryan

Post by Flyin Ryan »

Wow, the Bloc's resurgence came from nowhere. They're now larger than the NDP.
kiwinoz

Post by kiwinoz »

Will he be throwing a party with celebratory black face followed by dodgy apologies?
BokJock

Post by BokJock »

Seneca of the Night wrote:Mindboggling and staggering.
All worth it for the salty alt right tears.

His power grows
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

kiwinoz wrote:Will he be throwing a party with celebratory black face followed by dodgy apologies?
Does Trudeau party in any other way?
unseenwork

Post by unseenwork »

Flip that's disappointing for the NDP.
Bullettyme

Post by Bullettyme »

Disappointing for the NDP, but preferable to that Scheer creep.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

BokJock wrote:

His power grows
Looking at the vote, he lost the popular vote and won. The Woke Trump :lol:

Still as we move forward as a society shitty right wing policies his opponents had are not going to win you shit now. The idea that free market small government, less money for public services is outdated and gone in everywhere but the USA.

It feels in most western countries people want decent pro-business policies, but without the corporate corruption and bending over politics, want decent and good investment in public services (especially education, crime, health and transport), a move to renewable energy resources, decent immigration controls which aren't essentially open borders or closed borders and at a level people will integrate, want good social policies without either pretense the poorest are poor entirely due to themseleves or we have to have some identity politics BS and want to put the people and culture of the country first. Sadly somehow we can never get a party who is genuinely attuned to all those things outside of maybe Denmark right now.
Raison D'etre

Post by Raison D'etre »

eldanielfire wrote:
BokJock wrote:

His power grows

Still as we move forward as a society shitty right wing policies his opponents had are not going to win you shit now. The idea that free market small government, less money for public services is outdated and gone in everywhere but the USA.

It feels in most western countries people want decent pro-business policies, but without the corporate corruption and bending over politics, want decent and good investment in public services (especially education, crime, health and transport), a move to renewable energy resources, decent immigration controls which aren't essentially open borders or closed borders and at a level people will integrate, want good social policies without either pretense the poorest are poor entirely due to themseleves or we have to have some identity politics BS and want to put the people and culture of the country first. Sadly somehow we can never get a party who is genuinely attuned to all those things outside of maybe Denmark right now.
If only that were true of the UK - Trudeau would be an infinitely better PM than BoJo and probably did less offensive things at parties t'boot.
Akkerman

Post by Akkerman »

how did the turban guy do ?
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Raison D'etre wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
BokJock wrote:

His power grows

If only that were true of the UK - Trudeau would be an infinitely better PM than BoJo and probably did less offensive things at parties t'boot.
I'm not sure what you think of Boris, but don't drink the kool aid. He's never been far right and always been a proponent of spending more on services and massively socially liberal. He's plans when Brexit are over is to spend more on services and invest, that's why the left leaning press are sacred of him.
zzzz

Post by zzzz »

I, for one, welcome Canada's first black president.
Raison D'etre

Post by Raison D'etre »

eldanielfire wrote:
Raison D'etre wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
BokJock wrote:

His power grows

I'm not sure what you think of Boris, but don't drink the kool aid. He's never been far right and always been a proponent of spending more on services and massively socially liberal. He's plans when Brexit are over is to spend more on services and invest, that's why the left leaning press are sacred of him.
I think you might have drunk the kool aid - what left leaning press? The G? All one of it? The reason he scares me is that he's pushing through the most extreme rightwing project of my lifetime that cuts us off from the European social model and will push us at breakneck speed down the route to Trumpton. I'll grant you that like Hitler he enjoys posing in front of a shiny new autobahn or two so infrastructural vanity projects will in the mix - perhaps a nice bridge between Scotland and Northern Ireland while state schools can pay for themselves.
unseenwork

Post by unseenwork »

I think it slightly ruins the bit for Seneca to be commenting on their multi's thread.
Flyin Ryan

Post by Flyin Ryan »

eldanielfire wrote:
BokJock wrote:

His power grows

I was in Windsor (across the border from Detroit) for a rugby tournament this summer. Went into a pub for dinner with the fam and talked to a couple locals. This guy HATED Trudeau. Hated hated hated. Thought he was an embarassment to the country (I mentioned the one thing I heard about which was Trudeau going to India and him and his family dressing like Indians, except Indians don't actually dress that way anymore. It's quite the picture.) and would prefer Trump to him. He said Trudeau's vision of Canada was it was all a bunch of tribes and Trudeau views politics as putting check marks in boxes for all the tribes. His business was in real estate and said the Liberal Party federally had completely destroyed his business because they have people in control that don't know what the hell they're doing. Granted, he's probably talking his book. One good point he told me how "you have to realize, I don't get to vote for who runs our country like you do".

As far as the NDP, from what I've read on a Canadian website elsewhere, the last federal election was a disappointment for them, and they nominated Jagmeet Singh as their replacement. The party seems to have gone downhill since then for some reason, probably internal. Although I think them being so feckless this time resulted in tactical voting with their voters going to the Liberals.

The Bloc was almost dead, so them taking 32 seats is probably unsettling to a few, although I think Quebec separatism is pretty much a dead issue electorally.
Lemoentjie

Post by Lemoentjie »

Oops, got beaten to it.
Last edited by Lemoentjie on Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

zzzz wrote:I, for one, welcome Canada's first black president.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbup:
Auckman

Post by Auckman »

Bloc Quebecois is apparently socially liberal and pro-environment, so Trudeau has options with them and NDP, although they are both probably more left of the centrist Libs.

That other guy, Sheer, looks like he is always wanting to suppress a laugh whenever he talks. Doesn't look serious. No wonder he lost. 8)
Nieghorn

Post by Nieghorn »

Flyin Ryan wrote:Wow, the Bloc's resurgence came from nowhere. They're now larger than the NDP.
Maybe they didn't run enough young, good looking people like they did a couple of elections ago?
Flyin Ryan

Post by Flyin Ryan »

Auckman wrote:Bloc Quebecois is apparently socially liberal and pro-environment, so Trudeau has options with them and NDP, although they are both probably more left of the centrist Libs.
To put it way too simple as an outsider: the Bloc are nativist left-wingers.

Don't think the environment matters as much compared to their other policies.

Looking at the results, this win was the equivalent of Theresa May's win in her last election. The Liberals' share of the vote decreased 6.5% and they lost 27 seats. The Conservatives and the Bloc gained 2.6% and 3.1% respectively, and each gained 22 seats. Meanwhile, the NDP lost 3.8% and 20 seats.
zzzz

Post by zzzz »

eldanielfire wrote:

Apparently, going forward, he would like to be known as the the Prime Minstrel.*

*Shamelessly stolen.
Flyin Ryan

Post by Flyin Ryan »

It's amusing. I'm reading the uselectionatlas forum site which has a healthy "International Election" subforum. The consensus of everyone is "outside the Bloc, this was a disappointing result for every party". :lol:
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

zzzz wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:

Apparently, going forward, he would like to be known as the the Prime Minstrel.*

*Shamelessly stolen.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Quick question, is Trudeau going to be effective in his 2nd term. With all the racism/blackface stuff and now a minority government, will be a leader in office but not in power?
Bowens

Post by Bowens »

Flyin Ryan wrote:The Bloc was almost dead, so them taking 32 seats is probably unsettling to a few, although I think Quebec separatism is pretty much a dead issue electorally.
Like the Bloc itself I think it has been resurrected. The party leader mentioned Catalunya in his speech last night. The crowd chanted “on veut un pays” (we want a country) he replied “moi aussi” (me too).
Canadian_Rugger

Post by Canadian_Rugger »

Interesting take from others here who aren't from Canada.

IMO, this election was a disaster for all parties involved with the exception being the Bloc Québecois but we all really shouldn't be happy about that as They are a separatist movement. Make no mistake, the Bloc Québecois only have one goal, separation of Québec from Canada. The country is more divided than it has been in a long time and it is partially due to external events and partially because of Monsieur Trudeau and his Liberal Party.

I am a Tory but felt the Liberals would still win this election, why? Because, they are the only party, even with Justin Trudeau at the helm, that occupies the Centre of the spectrum.

The Conservative Party had an opportunity to do a full reset after Stephen Harper resigned and instead of choosing a progressive, they opted for more of the same. Andrew Scheer has to be the most uncharismatic and uninteresting man I've ever laid my eyes on, watching paint dry is more interesting than listening to him speak.

You see, contrary to what many would have you believe, there are many Conservative voters in Canada who are socially progressive. I'm pro LGBTQ+, pro choice, etc but I believe in fiscal responsibility and government accountability.

The problem with the Conservative Party in Canada atm is that there is a minority of the party that are a bunch of religious/xenophobic whackjobs who help prop the party up. I would say they make up 5-10% of the actual support but they consistently vote and are a stable base of support.

With the emergence of the PPC (Alt Right Nativist Party) the Cons were very worried about making statements/stands concerning anything related to social issues because they feared peeving off that aforementioned 5-10%. A tactical mistake I feel because while they didn't bleed any votes to the PPC, they aren't able to cash in on swing voters who jump between Liberal and Conservative (such as myself). I won't vote for a political party that doesn't support social justice issues.

As for the NDP, they had a real chance to make some changes to their party when they won 50+ seats in Quebec a number of elections ago but they utterly failed to capitalize on the additional funding they were receiving and opted to continue to pander to the base with the appointment of Singh rather than a Francophone. They have now lost all their support and are no better than they were 20 years ago.

I see this present Government lasting 18-24 months, with the Cons and NDP both getting new leaders and we are right back in election mode. Trudeau is damaged goods either way.

My preference for the Cons would be to appoint a woman as leader, either Michelle Rempel or bring back Rona Ambrose. Or bring in a Progressive like Peter Mackay. They need someone with appeal outside of Alberta that isn't a religious wierdo.
Canadian_Rugger

Post by Canadian_Rugger »

eldanielfire wrote:
BokJock wrote:

His power grows

You don't know much about the Liberal Party of Canada if you think they aren't the party of big business. They are literally the party that is known for supporting massive corporate corruption. SNC Lavalin being the latest in the long line of scandals involving that party.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Canadian_Rugger wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
BokJock wrote:

His power grows

You don't know much about the Liberal Party of Canada if you think they aren't the party of big business. They are literally the party that is known for supporting massive corporate corruption. SNC Lavalin being the latest in the long line of scandals involving that party.
I've not claimed they aren't the party of big business. Trudeau's sneaky support of big corporations and scandals is will documented.
PRPX

Post by PRPX »

Flyin Ryan wrote:It's amusing. I'm reading the uselectionatlas forum site which has a healthy "International Election" subforum. The consensus of everyone is "outside the Bloc, this was a disappointing result for every party". :lol:
Nailed it.
For western conservatives, a Liberal majority would have been better than a minority gov't that has to go cap in hand to the NDP for support.

You have no equivalent in the US but put in English terms, the Lib Dems now have a minority gov't and must look to Labour for help.
fatcat

Post by fatcat »

CNN reporting that he's pushing for a cabinet with 50% from ethnic minorities.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

fatcat wrote:CNN reporting that he's pushing for a cabinet with 50% from ethnic minorities.
With or without paint?
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

Funny watching Albertans meltdown over this.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Floppykid wrote:Funny watching Albertans meltdown over this.
How are they melting down? (from an outsider)
PRPX

Post by PRPX »

fatcat wrote:CNN reporting that he's pushing for a cabinet with 50% from ethnic minorities.
Trudeau lacks the capacity for the job of Prime Minister and it would therefore be hypocritical of him to consider capacity as a requirement for cabinet or committee.
Morgan14

Post by Morgan14 »

Re the Bloc's resurgence, a couple of drivers were (i) popularity in the province of the recent legislation outlawing any outwardly religious symbols on government workers, ie. no turbans, niqab, etc. or holy cross for that matter, a policy at odds with the rest of the country that the Bloc will continue to support; and (ii) growing disenfranchisement with particularly the west (Alberta and Sask) over things such as a proposed and hotly debated pipeline that would have gone through Quebec to get to the Atlantic market. Despite his French Canadian background, Trudeau isn't particularly popular there.

As a citizen, it was an election where I was confronted with having to choose between very mediocre quality candidates imho. My political compass aims similar to Canadian_Rugger's, and I didn't feel any party was appealing from that standpoint.

Re the NDP as the party that will prop the Liberals up, there was a good (or at least interesting) article about this the other day, I think it was a research paper, and outside one or two 'foundational' issues, the supporting / minority party will generally vote in lock-step with the 'majority' party, in this case the Liberals, as it's thought the Ministers all want to keep their job (and higher pay as the elected official) for as long as they can (a party such as the NDP is not often in this position).
fatcat

Post by fatcat »

eldanielfire wrote:
With or without paint?
I'm unsure if he's including himself.