Dogs

All things Rugby
sockwithaticket

Re: Dogs

Post by sockwithaticket »

Growing up a friend of mine, whose house I practically lived in, had Vizslas. They were brilliant, very energetic and playful. Never had one personally as my Dad was super allergic.

Would love a proper dog like a collie or GSD, but they'd need and deserve more time and space than I can give.
nuffsaid

Post by nuffsaid »

Not had a dog for years - used to travel too much. Last one was a big German Shepherd - cracking dog with a great sense of humour.

My BiL trains gun dogs - very very well. They are incredible. And decades ago I had a girlfriend who bred champion Springers.

Some lovely dogs on here btw. The springer and ER’s pointer are right up my street.
fishfoodie

Post by fishfoodie »

Azlan Roar wrote:
kingswood wrote:A pair of border terriers
and what's your view on them as a pet?

looking into getting a dog and the girls in the house want a miniature schnauzer
My Sister & BiL had one, a rescue, which took a bit of time to rehabilitate. It's most distinctive gift, was for releasing silent, room clearing farts.

It's not as if his diet wasn't well managed either, as he was on a kidney friendly diet.
Wilson's Toffee

Post by Wilson's Toffee »

Used to have Border Collies. The best, for me. Also GSD.

Nowadays only farm dogs, i.e. an Africanus and a Jack Russell cross breed.
Boobs not Moobs

Post by Boobs not Moobs »

crash 669 wrote:I have a limited choice in dogs because I'm allergic and my missus won't have a dog she can't physically control and since she's 5 foot 2, that shrinks the numbers down.

But we're likely to get a Westie and a Cairn, even though I want a Patterdale because they're f**king awesome.

Patterdale:
Spoiler: show
And f**king mental. They need a lot of exercise whilst a westie will be a lot less work and far easier to train and control. And if you get the Patterdale training wrong in the first year good luck trying to correct it. Lovely dogs but I wouldn't have one. If you're both novices is don't get a Patterdale.
spookly

Post by spookly »

Always loved pointers, but not sure I'd have the time to give them enough exercise every day.

I have this lump, and another slightly smaller
Boobs not Moobs

Post by Boobs not Moobs »

This is my monkey. I had an Embark DNA test done, they couldn't tell me anything about her breed so refunded me. I do know from her DNA relatives that she's about 3.6% pekingese, 3% shihzhu, 2.4% GSD and possible a bit of poodle.
Winnie

Post by Winnie »

My cocker spaniel looks very much like this
danny_fitz

Post by danny_fitz »

I grew up with border collies, fiercely bright but a bit mental.

Tibeten mastiffs look like good craic.

kingswood

Post by kingswood »

fishfoodie wrote:
Azlan Roar wrote:
kingswood wrote:A pair of border terriers
and what's your view on them as a pet?

looking into getting a dog and the girls in the house want a miniature schnauzer
My Sister & BiL had one, a rescue, which took a bit of time to rehabilitate. It's most distinctive gift, was for releasing silent, room clearing farts.

It's not as if his diet wasn't well managed either, as he was on a kidney friendly diet.
With the natural bias of ‘ownership’ - I think they’re great pets. We’ve had our two from pups, one is now 15 the other 12 . In general they are like Jack Russell without the attitude. Will happily sit in front of the fire all day, or walk the moors. Very good with people, including children. Typical terrier selective deafness, minimal road awareness- our younger one habitually wants to take on tractors and motorcycles but is fine with lorries. Toilet training isn’t easy and of fluctuating effectiveness. Never had a dog before,but I think we made the right choice for us
ukjim

Post by ukjim »

for my sins I have these two muppet irish setters.

life is good if we do 2-3 hours of exercise a day.

any less and there is trouble...
beafheart

Post by beafheart »

bimboman wrote:I’m 5 months into owning my first dog.

He’s the most handsome a Labrador you could imagine.
Me too. He's a guide dog in training though, so he'll be moving on soon. It's going to be very sad. Will definitely be getting a permanent replacement, but not quite sure what breed yet
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

beafheart wrote:
bimboman wrote:I’m 5 months into owning my first dog.

He’s the most handsome a Labrador you could imagine.
Me too. He's a guide dog in training though, so he'll be moving on soon. It's going to be very sad. Will definitely be getting a permanent replacement, but not quite sure what breed yet

You will have to have a heart of stone.... :(

There’s two families in the village who do it, one are on their 7th dog. Mine is from working stock though and slightly more work.

It something I should have done all my life so an catchng up on the fun though.
RoseGarden

Post by RoseGarden »

bimboman wrote:How do I post an image ? I’ve never done it before.

That’s a loverly springer.
You can upload to postimg.cc.

And thanks. He's a dickhead, but he's our dickhead.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

RoseGarden wrote:

Thank you. Will try now.

Last edited by bimboman on Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:43 pm, edited 5 times in total.
feckwanker

Post by feckwanker »

Have a 5 month old German Shepherd - or a land shark as they are called. Great dog if a bit dopey.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

happyhooker wrote:I grew up with Staffordshire bull terriers and am currently looking into a rescue one from the same charity that my sister got hers from.

Cats are cúnts
That's why they are ace though - they really don't give a shit

We are picking up a Rescue Greyhound on Saturday.

Despite always having cats, I am quite excite.
18ChinsOfChinatown

Post by 18ChinsOfChinatown »

My Maltese buddy, celebrating her 10th Birthday while watching me celebrate her Birthday with a pint of Guinness or five.

flaggETERNAL

Post by flaggETERNAL »

We've got 2 of what's called Fijian Shorthairs, ie mongrels :lol: and they're brilliant 8) Mother and daughter.
De Damp Slaphead

Post by De Damp Slaphead »

Here's my Siberian husky called Storm, I've had her since she was 5 months old and now she's 7 and a half. That's the one downside to owning a dog - they age so quickly compared to people.
In the background is the river Deben at Woodbridge suffolk

redderneck

Post by redderneck »

Black Lab Golden Retriever cross. 37 kilos of jet black shaggy affection. Puppywalked her for guide dogs but deemed too flighty at 9 months to be run through their full programme. Their loss undoubtedly our gain.

She absolutely would have dragged some poor blind fecker under a bus if she'd seen some kid drop a crisp on the other side of the road though, so good call all round.

She has some silly name allocated to her by the Guide Dogs Assoc, but at this stage she responds best to FFS
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

This is my girl. She's now 14 and is deaf as a post which is great when there's a thunderstorm (she used to shit herself during storms). I watched her last night get up out of her bed and she fell over twice. I don't think I'm emotionally equipped to deal with her leaving us.

giojuarez666

Post by giojuarez666 »

Those Irish setters are beautiful
beafheart

Post by beafheart »

fishfoodie

Post by fishfoodie »

bimboman wrote:
RoseGarden wrote:

Thank you. Will try now.

ah God, look at that mush :)

How old is he/she Bimbo ?
jono45

Post by jono45 »

IWe have a Black Russian Terrier.....hands down the best dog I have had
sonic_attack

Post by sonic_attack »

Mog The Almighty wrote:This is not my dog, but the only dog I've owned was an Australian Red cattle dog named --very unoriginally-- "Bluey". I thought it was clever at the time but later learned that it's a very common name for them.

Not much of a dog person, but the Blue Heeler would be my pick. Very good natured dogs and are a ball of energy, will swim and run all day.
I prefer the blue/grey colouring though. I was going to get my son one but I'll never justify $1000+ for a puppy they're wanting for them here.

paddyor

Post by paddyor »

happyhooker wrote:I grew up with Staffordshire bull terriers and am currently looking into a rescue one from the same charity that my sister got hers from.

Cats are cúnts
They're great dogs. My brother got 2 in the past year. I didn't expect them to be as friendly because they always seem so agressive. And they are, like they charge right up to whatever without stopping.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

sonic_attack wrote: Not much of a dog person, but the Blue Heeler would be my pick. Very good natured dogs and are a ball of energy, will swim and run all day.
I prefer the blue/grey colouring though. I was going to get my son one but I'll never justify $1000+ for a puppy they're wanting for them here.

They're great looking dogs but a bit nippy (their herding technique is to snap at the heels of cattle). They also form super strong bonds with one person and can get a little possessive. My sister in law has one and I won't let my kids go near it. It's not trained well and is prone to snapping out.

Our next dog will either be another border collie or a kelpie. We've thought about a blue heeler but have just met too many nasty ones.
Benthos

Post by Benthos »

Lady, our 2.5yr old spoodle (cockapoo’s fücking daft), mid pheasant chase on a hungover Sunday morning stumble around the Suffolk countryside. Spoilered for size as I’m way to tired to fanny around with resizing on this poxy phone.
Spoiler: show
sonic_attack

Post by sonic_attack »

I've only had experience with one of them, an ex girlfriends dog, practically identical to the one in the picture. Never got the vibe of it being sketchy around kids. It was a cat chaser/killer though.
You seem to need a lot of space for them and their energy though, so probably better in a rural environment.

I used to take that girlfriends one down the beach and hiff a tennis ball as far out into the water as I could and it wouldn't hesitate or stop chasing. Collie probably quite similar really, good size dogs too. Not big not small, just a happy middle size with no fuss.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

sonic_attack wrote:I've only had experience with one of them, an ex girlfriends dog, practically identical to the one in the picture. Never got the vibe of it being sketchy around kids. It was a cat chaser/killer though.
You seem to need a lot of space for them and their energy though, so probably better in a rural environment.

I used to take that girlfriends one down the beach and hiff a tennis ball as far out into the water as I could and it wouldn't hesitate or stop chasing. Collie probably quite similar really, good size dogs too. Not big not small, just a happy middle size with no fuss.
Indeed. They are a great sized dog. My wife and I are quite partial to a little nugget of a dog like a fox terrier but she does like the fact my dog can be menacing if she wants to and, at 19kgs, isn't exactly small. She's still a lap dog if she wants to be.
Mr. White

Post by Mr. White »

May not be exactly the same thread, but many posters posted pics of their dogs here: http://forum.planetrugby.com/viewtopic. ... hilit=dogs

I have a rottweiler and two rescue mutts, they're all great.
Inch high hogs eye

Post by Inch high hogs eye »

I call mine a Shih-tzu cross, he’s not a mixed breed though, just a grumpy cünt. He’s partially blind, deaf and demented, so I suppose he’s every reason to be pissed off...
Dryden

Post by Dryden »

I've always liked squishy face dogs like bullies, frenchies, bostons etc but I wish they'd breed them better so that they have less issues with breathing and joints. You can still have them retain their characteristics but just more functional. Bulldogs looked more conventional and were much more practical little beasts 100 years ago apparently.

Maybe there's a nice middle ground if they could just be bothered.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

fishfoodie wrote:
bimboman wrote:
RoseGarden wrote:

Thank you. Will try now.

He’s about 7 months there, he’s nearly 8 now. Love him to bits.
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

bimboman wrote:
fishfoodie wrote:
bimboman wrote:
RoseGarden wrote:[

Thank you. Will try now.

He’s about 7 months there, he’s nearly 8 now. Love him to bits.
That is one great-looking dog
crash 669

Post by crash 669 »

happyhooker wrote:
crash 669 wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
crash 669 wrote:

Cats are cúnts
Met a 3 year old Staffie in the pub the other day. She was an absolute tart, would go to anyone who offered to rub her belly and turn on the sad puppy eyes if you stopped for a second. They're lovely animals but masters of emotional blackmail.
I refer you to the OP and the likeness to owners....
She wasn't drinking some overpriced, over-hopped can of craft shite though.
Well that escalated rapidly
Sorry, the only dog I've had is the Scottish Cunthound. Resemblance to owners and all that...
Openside

Post by Openside »

Sandstorm wrote:
EverReady wrote:They say you can tell the owner from the type of dog they have.
Pointers are dumb and stuck-up. I don't see you as either ER. :thumbup:

Hey I used to have a GSP!!!

oh hang on I see what you mean :P
Openside

Post by Openside »

I now have a Springador who is so gorgeous it makes Bimbo's dog comparatively look like a mangy Cur.

I wish I knew how to post photos :( (it used to be easy)