Crusaders 2020 Thread

All things Rugby
jdogscoop

Re: Crusaders 2020 Thread

Post by jdogscoop »

Kiwias wrote:
mrbrownstone wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:
David Havili, Jack Goodhue and Bryn Hall have been the standouts for me so far this season.

Havili is so reliable and dangerous at fullback. His positional play has been faultless this season and he almost always beats the first defender. I hope the leg injury he looked to pick up against the Highlanders isn't serious because he's a key player for the Crusaders this year. I'd also like to see him permanently used as Mo'unga's backup no.10 so Brett Cameron can be sent back to club Rugby.
Havili is in career best form so far this season. If he keeps this up, he'd have to be seriously challenging for Jordie's All Black squad spot.

They have similar skill sets - Havili offers all of Jordie's versatility, covering 10, 12, fullback, and wing, as well as a long range goal kicking option. The difference is that Havili is a better decision maker, and safer at his core roles.
In the debit column, we have the indisputable fact that his surname does not start with "B".
How big a crush does Foster have on the brothers Barrett? Is he as besotted as Hansen was?

If so, then Havili is bound to be disappointed.
mrbrownstone

Post by mrbrownstone »

jdogscoop wrote:
Kiwias wrote:
mrbrownstone wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:
David Havili, Jack Goodhue and Bryn Hall have been the standouts for me so far this season.

Havili is so reliable and dangerous at fullback. His positional play has been faultless this season and he almost always beats the first defender. I hope the leg injury he looked to pick up against the Highlanders isn't serious because he's a key player for the Crusaders this year. I'd also like to see him permanently used as Mo'unga's backup no.10 so Brett Cameron can be sent back to club Rugby.
Havili is in career best form so far this season. If he keeps this up, he'd have to be seriously challenging for Jordie's All Black squad spot.

They have similar skill sets - Havili offers all of Jordie's versatility, covering 10, 12, fullback, and wing, as well as a long range goal kicking option. The difference is that Havili is a better decision maker, and safer at his core roles.
In the debit column, we have the indisputable fact that his surname does not start with "B".
How big a crush does Foster have on the brothers Barrett? Is he as besotted as Hansen was?

Yeah, unfortunately I expect Havili will be one of those unlucky players who would walk into most other international squads.

Between DMac, both Barretts, and Jordan being the next big thing, I doubt there'll be room for him.
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

Tom Christie last round had 100% tackle percentage, his 2020 stats are 98% 79/81. I'd love to know if any other player has higher.
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

Finally some decent financial news with the government confirming its promise to the Christchurch Stadium fund.
Government has approved its funding contribution for Christchurch's new stadium. Cabinet has signed off in its promised $220 million share of the $473m stadium cost after considering the city council's business case for the project. The other $253m will be funded by council.
Building is expected to start later this year and be finished by 2024 season, still no confirmed design but it will have a roof, cost around $473 million and seat 25k expandable to 30k.

deverix

Post by deverix »

mrbrownstone wrote:
jdogscoop wrote:
Kiwias wrote:
mrbrownstone wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:

Yeah, unfortunately I expect Havili will be one of those unlucky players who would walk into most other international squads.

Between DMac, both Barretts, and Jordan being the next big thing, I doubt there'll be room for him.
How has Mackenzie looked this year? I rate him higher than Havili has he looked just as good post injury?
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

deverix wrote:
How has Mackenzie looked this year? I rate him higher than Havili has he looked just as good post injury?
He hasn't reached the heights of previous seasons, if you were picking on form Havili would have him beat hands down. Still 3 months of Super rugby to play though
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

JPNZ wrote:Finally some decent financial news with the government confirming its promise to the Christchurch Stadium fund.
Government has approved its funding contribution for Christchurch's new stadium. Cabinet has signed off in its promised $220 million share of the $473m stadium cost after considering the city council's business case for the project. The other $253m will be funded by council.
Building is expected to start later this year and be finished by 2024 season, still no confirmed design but it will have a roof, cost around $473 million and seat 25k expandable to 30k.
Excellent news! Is this in the central-city location as initially planned?
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

Kiwias wrote:
JPNZ wrote:Finally some decent financial news with the government confirming its promise to the Christchurch Stadium fund.
Excellent news! Is this in the central-city location as initially planned?
Yes, excuse the crude MS Paint skills but approx location below, the site is spread over 2.5 blocks around 120,000 square metres so plenty of room.

Kahu

Post by Kahu »

Needs another 10k capacity
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

That is very encouraging
Wilderbeast

Post by Wilderbeast »

Kahu wrote:Needs another 10k capacity
It never sells out for the crusaders.
naki

Post by naki »

Wilderbeast wrote:
That’s down the nature and location of the league stadium they’ve been playing in. AMI was getting 20k + crowds nearly every game before the earthquake.
uncoded

Post by uncoded »

naki wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:
That’s down the nature and location of the league stadium they’ve been playing in. AMI was getting 20k + crowds nearly every game before the earthquake.
Looking at the proposal I think 25,000 (with additional seating to make 30,000) is just right for a city like Christchurch. Anything less than 25,000 is definitely not enough, but anything more than 30,000 is unnecessary. 25-30,000 is within that perfect threshold range where you can expect to (almost) sell-out most big matches, and you can probably guarantee that there will be only a couple hundred seats empty.
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

Are there any specific reasons why this stadium is costing so much more that the Dunedin one? Does it include conference centres etc? Did I miss some crazy high inflation?
Kahu

Post by Kahu »

Seems like only yesterday the Crusaders would pull 35k through the gate just to play the cellar dweller Highlanders. Steve Tew's Legacy I guess
Wilderbeast

Post by Wilderbeast »

naki wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:
How does that compare to other franchises though, as crowds have been in decline for some time now.
J Man

Post by J Man »

Wilderbeast wrote:
naki wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:
How does that compare to other franchises though, as crowds have been in decline for some time now.
Yup, all franchise crowds would be significantly down on pre 2011 numbers. It is a much weaker competition to start with.
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

UncleFB wrote:Are there any specific reasons why this stadium is costing so much more that the Dunedin one? Does it include conference centres etc? Did I miss some crazy high inflation?
It is about twice the cost of Forsyth Barr, which does seem excessively high
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

Wilderbeast wrote:
From memory Crusaders average crowd size is the best of the NZ teams over the last couple of years. Average crowd is around 16,000 (2019) or 77% of AMI capacity.
UncleFB wrote:Are there any specific reasons why this stadium is costing so much more that the Dunedin one? Does it include conference centres etc? Did I miss some crazy high inflation?
Dunedin was built in 2009 for $198 million, 13 years is a long time in construction. Adding to that fact it will need to be built to a specific seismic strength. Hell Auckland's 70,000 seat waterfront stadium is set to cost over $2.4 Billion
Last edited by JPNZ on Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

JPNZ wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:
From memory Crusaders average crowd size is the best of the NZ teams over the last couple of years. Average crowd is around 16,000 or 77% of AMI capacity.
Dunedin was built in 2009 for $198 million, 13 years is a long time in construction. Adding to that fact it will need to be built to a specific seismic strength.
Is it realistically double the cost though? I don't know anything about construction costs so am genuinely asking. How much as a % would seismic strength add?
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

UncleFB wrote: Is it realistically double the cost though? I don't know anything about construction costs so am genuinely asking. How much as a % would seismic strength add?
In short yes, on top of that you have to find a decent tier one contractor who will be able to complete the task (without folding) 15% at a guess for seismic.

As I added to my post above look at other costs currently. The planned Auckland waterfront stadium is 70k seats and $2.4 Billion. In Christchurch the costs rose by $1 million every month the project hadn't started. Keep in mind the Christchurch Stadium was planned to be finished by 2018.
naki

Post by naki »

Wilderbeast wrote:
naki wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:
Since 2010-11? It’s mostly related to success.

The Blues crowds have plummeted and continue to do so.
The Chiefs have remained fairly steady, peaking in the 2012-13 seasons obviously but not dropping away too much after that.
The Canes biggest crowds since the early noughts were in that golden 2015-16 period, but they are still consistently equivalent and at times higher than they were in 2010-11.
The Clan have increased significantly since Forsyth, they were really struggling in those final Carisbrook years.

A new, covered stadium can do wonders
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

JPNZ wrote:
UncleFB wrote: Is it realistically double the cost though? I don't know anything about construction costs so am genuinely asking. How much as a % would seismic strength add?
In short yes, on top of that you have to find a decent tier one contractor who will be able to complete the task (without folding) 15% at a guess for seismic.

As I added to my post above look at other costs currently. The planned Auckland waterfront stadium is 70k seats and $2.4 Billion. In Christchurch the costs rose by $1 million every month the project hadn't started. Keep in mind the Christchurch Stadium was planned to be finished by 2018.
Cheers for the info - I'll vote against a Waterfront Stadium if those are the costs, that's nuts.
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

Yes, sadly building materials, subcontractors and labour rates only increase over time. The cost of building from residential to commercial in NZ is incredibly high
BillW

Post by BillW »

JPNZ wrote:Yes, sadly building materials, subcontractors and labour rates only increase over time. The cost of building from residential to commercial in NZ is incredibly high
These things are true but are dwarfed by compliance costs.
I fear that we are in for another few years of waiting while council, objectors and other parasites dither and argue and generally conspire to hinder any progress.
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

Kiwias wrote:
It is about twice the cost of Forsyth Barr, which does seem excessively high
That's par for the course in post quake Christchurch isn't it? Quality will be half that of Dunedin's too if recent history is anything to go by
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

UncleFB wrote:
JPNZ wrote:

Cheers for the info - I'll vote against a Waterfront Stadium if those are the costs, that's nuts.

Wait till the port moves and it can go there for a fraction of the cost
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

Terrible news for Havili and big loss for the Crusaders.
Crusaders fullback David Havili has gone under the knife and is set for an unspecified stint on the sidelines.

Havili, arguably the form player in Super Rugby through the first six weeks, underwent emergency abdominal surgery on Friday and is recovering in hospital, the Crusaders confirmed in a brief statement on Sunday.

The Crusaders did not respond when asked for more details, but it's believed a foreign object was removed from the 25-year-old's stomach.

Their statement indicated a timeframe for his return would be advised at a later date. One of the team's assistant coaches is expected to front media at Rugby Park on Monday.
Maniototo Man

Post by Maniototo Man »

JPNZ wrote:Terrible news for Havili and big loss for the Crusaders.
Crusaders fullback David Havili has gone under the knife and is set for an unspecified stint on the sidelines.

Havili, arguably the form player in Super Rugby through the first six weeks, underwent emergency abdominal surgery on Friday and is recovering in hospital, the Crusaders confirmed in a brief statement on Sunday.

The Crusaders did not respond when asked for more details, but it's believed a foreign object was removed from the 25-year-old's stomach.

Their statement indicated a timeframe for his return would be advised at a later date. One of the team's assistant coaches is expected to front media at Rugby Park on Monday.
Foreign object? :shock: Sheesh - sounds nasty.

What a tough break. Surely he would have been in line for an ABs return.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Maniototo Man wrote:

By foreign object do you think they mean a cancer/tumour? Or maybe a bullet, blade etc? Perhaps it was a alien embryo that was incubating in his gut?
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

That is so strange. You would expect some more details will be disclosed soon. Wishing him a rapid recovery.
JB1981

Post by JB1981 »

Ali's Choice wrote:
Maniototo Man wrote:

By foreign object do you think they mean a cancer/tumour? Or maybe a bullet, blade etc? Perhaps it was a alien embryo that was incubating in his gut?
The matchbox car he lost aged seven? Hopefully it’s nothing serious and he makes a speedy recovery.
uncoded

Post by uncoded »

Havili is confirmed to be out for several weeks. How do Crusader's fans feel about this as their strongest 23 in his absence?

1. Joe Moody
2. Codie Taylor
3. Oliver Jager
4. Scott Barrett
5. Quentin Strange
6. Cullen Grace
7. Tom Christie
8. Whetu Douglas
9. Bryn Hall
10. Richie Mo'unga
11. George Bridge
12. Jack Goodhue
13. Braydon Ennor
14. Sevu Reece
15. Will Jordan

16. Andrew Makilao
17. Isi Tu'ungafasi
18. Micahel Alaalatoa
19. Mitchell Dunshea
20. Sione Havili
21. Mitchell Drummond
22. Brett Cameron
23. Leicester Fainga'anuku

I left out Romano and Mataele as Will Jordan and Quentin Strange are apparently back from injury this week.
deverix

Post by deverix »

Yep, looks like Havili might only get a few games in before the knockouts. He's going to be a huge loss.
comets

Post by comets »

jordan reminds me of cameron shepherd, great player, made of glass..do we need cameron on the bench?.... just use sevu as backup 10..manasa at 23..
deverix

Post by deverix »

comets wrote:jordan reminds me of cameron shepherd, great player, made of glass..do we need cameron on the bench?.... just use sevu as backup 10..manasa at 23..
Has Sevu played 10 before?
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

BillW wrote:
JPNZ wrote:Yes, sadly building materials, subcontractors and labour rates only increase over time. The cost of building from residential to commercial in NZ is incredibly high
These things are true but are dwarfed by compliance costs.
I fear that we are in for another few years of waiting while council, objectors and other parasites dither and argue and generally conspire to hinder any progress.
:lol:

No, cost escalation in the construction industry in NZ has been horrendous over the last several years. Part of the problem is a lack of competition in supply of materials but also a lack of building firms with enough clout and expertise to pull off big projects. They keep falling over and we lost a huge amount of expertise and an expertise generator in itself when eh MOW was dismantled (something a country of NZ's size really couldn't afford to do and for which we are still paying the cost for a broken construction sector).

RC and BC costs, will probably largely waived in this instance, and won't come close to seismic costs when you have 30k people to look after. Besides, it will be specific design, so not much for the council to do apart from reviews. If you're calling that compliance cost, I mean specific design and all it implies, hard luck. We don't like buildings falling down without much provocation. Govt could fast track the RMA side of it too, but then you'd still find something to grizzle about, ie:
Building is expected to start later this year and be finished by 2024 season ...

Anyway, good news ChCh. :thumbup:
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

Ali's Choice wrote:
Maniototo Man wrote:

Nice to share some good news in the face of everything that is happening in the world.
A fresh and hefty vertical scar stretches up to David Havili's belly button, connecting with an older horizontal scar and creating a "T" shape.

They're forever proof of two stomach surgeries, the first when he was just six months old, followed by a second last month after the 25-year-old Crusaders utility back was struck down with stomach pain.

Speculation surfaced when the Crusaders confirmed he'd had emergency stomach surgery at Christchurch Hospital on March 6, with suggestions he'd had a foreign object removed.

However, almost five weeks since he went under the knife, an upbeat Havili told Stuff the only thing removed was 20cm of his bowel, because he had a similar - but more serious - infection to the one he had as a child. "It was really crazy, man. It was pretty lucky that I bit the bullet and didn't carry on a couple of days, because it certainly could have got a lot worse," he told Stuff.

"It [the infection] had leaked into my body through the bowel, that's how the infection grew. They got in there and cut it out, and rejoined my bowel."

till perhaps only halfway through his recovery, Havili has had ample time to re-live how quickly he went downhill before he was rushed into surgery.

Arguably the form Super Rugby player through the first four weeks of the season, Havili was told he was to have a well-earned break and would not be required to play against the Reds on March 6.

But he continued to train, fronting at Rugby Park on the Monday despite "not feeling myself". He woke up the following day and felt fine, so he trained the next two days. During the segment of training open to media on the Wednesday, he was spotted running freely and kicking a ball with teammate Will Jordan.

"It wasn't until the captain's run day [Thursday], I came in to do my last gym session and I was talking to him [Jordan] and I said, 's..., I don't feel flash, I've got a bit of a store stomach,'."

The pain started to absorb him, particularly when he touched the right-side of his stomach, prompting Havili to contact team doctor Martin Swan, who suspected he might have appendicitis.

But that was swiftly ruled out when Havili called his mother and she advised he'd had his appendix removed when he was younger.
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

Good news for Canterbury and the Crusaders
All Blacks lock Sam Whitelock is in line to make a shock return for the Crusaders this year, and could even turn out in Canterbury colours during the Mitre 10 Cup.

Whitelock, a warm favourite to be the next All Blacks captain, returned to New Zealand earlier than expected from a one-season deal in Japan due to the coronavirus crisis and New Zealand Rugby has revealed to Stuff that he is now free to play for the Super Rugby champions in a revised tournament structure.
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

In some excellent news. captain Scott Barrett, has re-signed with the Crusaders and NZR until 2023!