Crusaders 2020 Thread

All things Rugby
naki

Re: Crusaders 2020 Thread

Post by naki »

Good, they didn't need to change the name. The re-branding looks silly but we'll no doubt get used to it.
jamesfreeman

Post by jamesfreeman »

naki wrote:Good, they didn't need to change the name. The re-branding looks silly but we'll no doubt get used to it.
Agree. Is just a logo, looks lame compared to oid one but will get used to it. Am glad they not rebranding the Hurricanes (climate change etc)...
kiwidutchie

Post by kiwidutchie »

comets wrote:
rugga. wrote:That new logo looks like two peepees touching.
u need to get your Bendy penis looked at by a doctor... or Guinness Book of records..
I thought it was the head of one Peepee. I know many people think the 'saders fans are Dickheads but did they have to get a logo that matches?
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

Zakar

Should I be surprised you have those in your cupboard?
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

I'm very happy that the new logo reminds some posters of a couple of dicks :thumbup:

I suspect that there was already a penile association for many Super Rugby fans anyway, because the Crusaders have along and glorious history of dicking every other team in the comp. Of having their way with them. Of utterly man-shaming them. Of turning opposing teams into their Private Dancers, their 'Round the Way Girls, their Jenny from the Block.
comets

Post by comets »

there is a hidden dick in every super rugby logo, u just need to find it..
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

This is the only pic I can find of the 2020 Jersey and its a crappy screen grab from an Instagram video. BNZ no longer sponsor any NZ teams, so Hyundai is the home jersey sponsor and Fiji Airways is the away jersey sponsor.

comets

Post by comets »

thot Fiji Airways was just the training jersey sponsor..
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

comets wrote:thot Fiji Airways was just the training jersey sponsor..
https://crusaders.co.nz/news/1382-gary- ... -crusaders

Bottom paragraph says away jerseys. I haven't even seen a mockup of the away jersey yet
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

Finally a plan has been released and just needs council and government sign off. The new stadium could be open Spring 2024. Pity its only 25k seated with the option to add temp seating later.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/117 ... in-5-years
mrbrownstone

Post by mrbrownstone »

JPNZ wrote:Finally a plan has been released and just needs council and government sign off. The new stadium could be open Spring 2024. Pity its only 25k seated with the option to add temp seating later.
Looks good :thumbup:

Realistically that's probably about right though, isn't it? Apart from All Black tests I can't imagine selling out 25k+ too often.
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

That looks pretty good.
mrbrownstone

Post by mrbrownstone »

Canterbury have appointed former assistants Reuben Thorne and Mark Brown as co-coaches to replace outgoing head coach Joe Maddock.

The Canterbury Rugby Football Union (CRFU) announced the appointments of Thorne and Brown for the 2020 season on Tuesday.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/pro ... -cocoaches
Crusaders-adjacent news.

Reuben Thorne, Reuben Thorne, Reuben Thooooooooorne
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Regarding the new stadium, just get the damn thing built! The delay has been ridiculous.

I'm also very happy that Thorne is involved with coaching Canterbury. Even as a player, I have always felt that he would make an excellent coach. I'm not a fan of the co-coaching model but I am happy to be proven wrong.
Murdoch

Post by Murdoch »

mrbrownstone wrote:
JPNZ wrote:Finally a plan has been released and just needs council and government sign off. The new stadium could be open Spring 2024. Pity its only 25k seated with the option to add temp seating later.
Looks good :thumbup:

Realistically that's probably about right though, isn't it? Apart from All Black tests I can't imagine selling out 25k+ too often.
Still seems a little unambitious.

Chch has 3x the population of Dunedin.

35K would be nice
mrbrownstone

Post by mrbrownstone »

Ali's Choice wrote:Regarding the new stadium, just get the damn thing built! The delay has been ridiculous.

I'm also very happy that Thorne is involved with coaching Canterbury. Even as a player, I have always felt that he would make an excellent coach. I'm not a fan of the co-coaching model but I am happy to be proven wrong.
Neither am I, but the CRFU have had so much recent success that I'm willing to trust their judgment (for now, at least).
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

Crusaders CEO has come out in support of the decision.
Crusaders chief executive Colin Mansbridge on Ian Foster being appointed as ABs coach: "Disappointed for Razor, but there is a silver lining for us. Obviously, bitter-sweet."

On how Razor took the news: "You know what he is like, he has this ability to just focus on what is in his control. "He is back on the grass today, working away. That's the sort of bloke he is, he's quite resilient.''
eugenius

Post by eugenius »

This will be a real measure of the man , a Crusader team with so many relative newbies .

If he wins this one , he’s an exceptional coach .
ZuluBoy

Post by ZuluBoy »

Is it true the perception that all Crusaders supporters are white supremists or does that deduction come from the name only?
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

Image Image

Apart from the 2 degrees logo on the sides, I like it!

Still no sign of the away jersey yet
Yourmother

Re:

Post by Yourmother »

ZuluBoy wrote:Is it true the perception that all Crusaders supporters are white supremists or does that deduction come from the name only?
Good question. So that deduction only comes from fvcktard cvnts. Hopefully this clarifies it.
ZuluBoy

Post by ZuluBoy »

Word Crusaders they say represent white privileged church group established at the expense of the downtrodden the indigenous people the Muslims and the Jews
Why not pick a globally accepted name than sticking to one that promotes hate and racism
naki

Re:

Post by naki »

ZuluBoy wrote:Word Crusaders they say represent white privileged church group established at the expense of the downtrodden the indigenous people the Muslims and the Jews
Why not pick a globally accepted name than sticking to one that promotes hate and racism
This guy rules
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

At the NZ Rugby awards last night Scott Robertson won coach of the year and the Crusaders won team of the year.

Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

It’s time to start getting excited about Super Rugby, with the tournament commencing in just over a month - Friday 31st January 2020.

As disappointed as I am with Ian Foster being appointed as the AB Head Coach, there is of course a silver lining for Crusaders fans. It means that we retain Scott Robertson as our Head Coach for the foreseeable future.

I think all Crusaders fans acknowledge that 2020 will be extremely challenging for our team. The loss of players reminds me of 2009, when so many left after Robbie Deans' final year in charge.

We have effectively lost an entire backrow in Kieran Read, Matt Todd and Jordan Taufua. Whilst Kieran Read hasn't been a huge part of the Crusaders' success in recent years due to injury and AB enforced rest periods, the loss of Matt Todd and Taufua cannot be overstated. Matt Todd in particular has been a stalwart of this Crusaders team over many years, and seemed to be getting better with age. His defensive workrate and the starch that he brought to the breakdown will be sorely missed and of all the players that we have lost this season, I believe that Matt Todd will be the hardest to replace.

This year Jordan Taufua played mainly off the bench in a ‘super-sub’ role, introducing an immense amount of energy, enthusiasm and dynamism into the final 25 minutes of every match. My concern is that we don’t have anyone in our squad who appears to be a like-for-like replacement for Taufua. Part of our success over the past few years is that we have had a balanced pack with strong ball-runners complementing our typically strong set piece. I worry that with players like Taufua leaving, we will lose this essential balance in the forwards.

Our backrow stocks have been gutted. This is the first time since the 1990’s that we have gone into a season without an All Black capped backrower. Our most experienced and credentialed loose forward in season 2020 is Whetu Douglas. He is going to have to shoulder a huge workload, as will youngsters like Ethan Blackadder, Billy Harmon and Tom Sanders, who must be the unluckiest player in NZ when it comes to injury.

Other key losses in the forwards are Owen Franks who has headed north, and Sam Whitelock who is on a NZR funded sabbatical. The experience and leadership of both these players will be missed, as well as their set piece expertise. These players have been strong performers over the Crusaders recent three-peat, and you cannot just replace the experience that comes from playing a combined 290 Super Rugby games and 225 All Black test caps. We should be able to adequately cover lock, with captain Scott Barrett combining with the experienced Luke Romano and emerging young-guns Mitchell Dunshea and Quentin Strange. Our Tighthead prop stocks are much shallower, and a lot of responsibility will rest on Michael Ala’alatoa's broad shoulders.

In the backs, Ryan Crotty leaves a yawning hole in our midfield. There isn’t an obvious replacement for him in the squad, although I have no doubt that Scott Robertson will have plans. We are blessed with high quality wingers (Bridge, Reece, Jordan & Mata’ele) and a couple of gun centres in Goodhue and Ennor, but appear to be very light at no.12. I expect David Havili to move into second five-eighth, allowing Will Jordan or George Bridge to cement themselves at fullback.

Another huge loss is Mitchell Hunt, who has shifted south to the Highlanders in hope of establishing himself as a Super Rugby starter. In each of our last three title-winning seasons our number one first-five Richie Mo’unga missed a significant number of games through injury, and each time Hunt stepped up and the team continued to win and play well. In 2020 the Crusaders will be relying on Brett Cameron and Fergus Burke to backup Mo’unga. Cameron is not proven at this level, and Burke is very inexperienced and yet to play a Super Rugby match. All Crusaders fans will be sweating on the fitness of Mo’unga for the duration of the season.

So I see 2020 as being a year of transition in Christchurch. With so much experience leaving the franchise, and so many quality players moving on, it would be unfair to expect a 4th straight title from this team. This year will be all about development. Developing new players and coaches and building on the amazing legacy and achievements of previous teams. Given that all the NZ teams are weaker in 2020 and have less depth than previous years, I still think this team will do quite well in the NZ Conference. But overall we lack the talent or depth to make it a title four-peat.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

God I hope Toulon snaps up Razor
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Zakar wrote:God I hope Toulon snaps up Razor
That's a very mean spirited comment within the context of this thread.
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

Ali's Choice wrote:
Zakar wrote:God I hope Toulon snaps up Razor
That's a very mean spirited comment within the context of this thread.
In the overall context of the bored, tho', it's amost benign.
comets

Post by comets »

Toulon destroys everything it touches..............everything..
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

Meet the Crusaders players who have picked up a full time Investec Super Rugby contract for the first time in 2020.

L-R: George Bower, Cullen Grace, Inga Finau, Ethan Roots, Sevu Reece, Brodie McAlister, Sione Havili, Dallas McLeod, Tom Christie, Isi Tuungafasi, Fergus Burke

Isi Tuungafasi
DOB: 10/1/95
Position: Prop 10/1/95
Mitre 10 Cup team: Northland
The scoop: Tongan-born Tuungafasi has been marked for big things since he represented the New Zealand Under 20s in 2015. The younger brother of All Black prop Ofa, Isi made four appearances for the Crusaders in 2019 after being called into the squad.

George Bower
DOB: 28/05/92
Position: Prop
Mitre 10 Cup team: Otago
The scoop: Wellington-born Bower has been a steady improver since making a solitary appearance for Otago in 2014. In 2018 he returned to the provincial scene with seven more caps for Otago in the Mitre 10 Cup and earned a call up to the Crusaders in 2020 for his first ever Super Rugby contract.

Tom Christie
DOB: 04/03/98
Position: Loose Forward
Mitre 10 Cup team: Canterbury
The scoop: Christie is a young openside of immense potential on and off the field. The Shirley Boys’ High School old boy is studying toward an engineering degree at the University of Canterbury while making every post a winner on the field. A captain of the New Zealand Under 20s in 2018, he has represented the Canterbury Mitre 10 Cup side since 2017.

Brodie McAlister
DOB: 17/06/97
Position: Hooker
The scoop: Capped by the Crusaders in 2019, McAlister is ready to take his game to another level. A product of Shirley Boys’ High School in Christchurch and former New Zealand Secondary Schools representative, the burly hooker has the size, drive and ability to make an impact in Investec Super Rugby in 2020.

Cullen Grace
DOB: 20/12/99
The scoop: The youngest player among New Zealand’s five Investec Super Rugby squads is touted for big things. The teenager has been on the Crusaders radar since he represented Timaru Boys’ High School first XV and went on to play for the New Zealand Under 20s. A loose forward who can play lock, he impressed during his first season of Mitre 10 Cup rugby in 2019 and earned his first Investec Super Rugby contract.

Fergus Burke
DOB: 03/09/99
Position: First five-eighth
The scoop: Originally from Gisborne, Burke attended St Paul’s Collegiate in Hamilton before moving south to Canterbury University where he’s made every rugby post a winner. A tall playmaker with a turn of pace and a great kicking game, he will be an asset to the Crusaders in 2020.

Inga Finau
DOB: 21/08/94
Position: Midfield back
The scoop: Finau has been a steady improver since leaving Auckland’s Dilworth School bound for Christchurch to study sports coaching at the University of Canterbury. A midfielder with plenty of power and pace he debuted for Canterbury’s Mitre 10 Cup side in 2016, took a year off professional rugby to concentrate on his studies in 2018, and earns his first Investec Super Rugby contract in 2020.

Dallas McLeod
DOB: 30/04/99
Position: Midfield
The scoop: The Christ’s College graduate was the vice-captain of the New Zealand Under 20s squad in 2019 and is studying sports coaching at the University of Canterbury. Considered to be a promising midfielder who is strong in the air and on the ground.

Ethan Roots
DOB: 10/11/97
Position: Loose forward
Mitre 10 Cup team: North Harbour
The scoop: A strong, abrasive loose forward who can also play lock, the Rosmini College old boy comes off a brilliant Mitre 10 Cup season ready to make an impact on Investec Super Rugby.

Sione Havili
DOB: 25/01/98
Mitre 10 Cup team: Tasman
The scoop: Since winning the Golden Boot award for the New Zealand Secondary Schools team in 2016, the Auckland Grammar School graduate has been a player to watch. His talents blossomed with Tasman during the 2018 Mitre 10 Cup and now the once-capped Blues representative gets a chance to show his skills with the Crusaders in 2020.

Fetuli Paea
DOB: 16/08/94
Position: Outside back
Mitre 10 Cup team: Tasman
The scoop: A Tongan international in fifteens and sevens, the pacey outside back is capable of playing centre, wing or fullback. Paea brings plenty of experience, height and power to the Crusaders back three.

Sevu Reece
DOB: 13/02/97
Position: Outside back
Mitre 10 Cup team: Waikato
The scoop: One of the stars of the 2019 Investec Super Rugby season after being called up to the Crusaders as an injury replacement. Reece continued his form into the Rugby World Cup where he also starred on social media alongside New Zealand band Six60.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Nice article. Great to see the next crop of Crusaders. I have to say, they look like babies.

Over the course of Super Rugby, just under half the players who have represented the Crusaders have gone on to represent the AB's. So there's a good chance that we are staring at 5-6 future All Blacks in that picture.

My concern is that historically, when the Crusaders have recruited young players there has been plenty of experience to support and mentor these youngsters. And they haven't been rushed into the starting team. However, in 2020 there isn't the depth of experience that we have had in previous years. And the reality is that some of these newbies are going to have to play significant minutes, potentially long before they are ready for this level.
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

I agree AC, but I take heart from the fact that last year we had players like Will Jordan, Sevu Reece & Braydon Ennor who were relatively untested at Super level and they made great gains through the year. Fingers crossed some of the young forwards can do the same this year. The Crusaders Academy has always provided
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

Crusaders continuing the theme of selecting overseas assistants, I haven't heard much about Mark Jones but seems to have a good background.
The Crusaders have completed their 2020 coaching panel by appointing former Wales wing Mark Jones as defence coach. Jones, 40, will also work with Canterbury in the NPC. His appointment continues the trend of the Super Rugby champions looking abroad to expand their coaching, having had former Irish star Ronan O'Gara with them for their most recent successes. "I'm really excited. It's a huge opportunity and the welcome I have had in New Zealand has been fantastic," Jones, who played 47 tests for Wales and has been part of Warren Gatland's champion coaching team, told Walesonline. "I've spent a couple of weeks with them already and they are everything others have said they'd be, with open-minded people who are great off the pitch and smart on it.

"It's a unique environment and it's been a pleasure so far. "Without being disrespectful to other rugby clubs, the Crusaders are probably regarded as the best rugby organisation in the world. "So for them to feel I can add value means a lot. "I'm a team defence coach with the Crusaders, while I'll also be running the attack and the backs with Canterbury in the Mitre Cup at the end of the season. "So it's a dual role that allows me to stay out here all year round." Jones was Gatland's back coach when Wales won the 2012-13 Six Nations. He coached at last year's World Cup in Japan, taking the backs for Namibia head coach Phil Davies. Jones has considerable coaching experience with Welsh regional side Scarlets, whom he played for, as well as other successful Welsh club teams.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

Fun fact.

The Crusaders are playing a pre-season fixture against the Hurricanes this Saturday in Ashburton. The game is being played on the hallowed turf of the Ashburton Showgrounds.

I'm told the Crusaders will be streaming the game free on their Facebook page. It would be worth tuning in.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

jdogscoop wrote:Fun fact.

The Crusaders are playing a pre-season fixture against the Hurricanes this Saturday in Ashburton. The game is being played on the hallowed turf of the Ashburton Showgrounds.

I'm told the Crusaders will be streaming the game free on their Facebook page. It would be worth tuning in.
:thumbup:
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

jdogscoop wrote:Fun fact.

Cheers
franch fan

Post by franch fan »

JPNZ wrote:Image

Well I believe super squads are named any day now, with a February start there is only 11 weeks till the 2020 Super season. No mid year break this year and the competition runs until end of May with finals in June.

I believe the talent we have on hand should have most of the below names in the strongest squad. I'll be interested to see the AB's coaching appointment in dec and if it has any effect on Razor.

Coaches:

Head Coach - Scott Robertson
Assistant Coach - Scott Hansen
Forwards Coach - Jason Ryan
Backs Coach - Andrew Goodman

Team:

CRUSADERS 2020 SQUAD

FORWARDS: Michael Alaalatoa, Harry Allan, Scott Barrett (c), Ethan Blackadder, George Bower, Tom Christie, Whetukamokamo Douglas, Mitchell Dunshea, Cullen Grace, Billy Harmon, Sione Havili, Oliver Jager, Andrew Makalio, Brodie McAlister, Joe Moody, Luke Romano, Ethan Roots, Tom Sanders, Quinten Strange, Codie Taylor, Isi Tuungafasi.

BACKS: George Bridge, Fergus Burke, Brett Cameron, Mitchell Drummond, Ere Enari, Braydon Ennor, Leicester Faingaanuku, Inga Finau, Jack Goodhue, Bryn Hall, David Havili, Will Jordan, Manasa Mataele, Dallas McLeod, Richie Mo'unga, Fetuli Paea, Sevu Reece.

In: Sevu Reece, Dallas McLeod, Tom Christie, George Bower, Cullen Grace, Sione Havili, Brodie McAlister, Ethan Roots, Isi Tuungafasi, Fergus Burke, Inga Finau, Fetuli Paea.

Out: Tim Bateman (retired), Ryan Crotty (Japan), Israel Dagg (retired), Owen Franks (UK), Ben Funnell (Japan), Mitchell Hunt (Highlanders), Tim Perry, Ngane Punivai (Highlanders), Kieran Read (Japan), Jordan Taufua (UK), Matt Todd (Japan), Sam Whitelock (Japan sabbatical).

Draw:

Wow the number of guys who went to Japan :shock:
They could almost create a local Crusaders team in Japan lol
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

Super rugby team preview 2020

Life doesn't get much tougher than the Crusaders will find in the Investec Super Rugby competition in 2020.
Apart from having the mantle of winning the last three competitions, they have suffered a significant loss of personnel, something opponents will be keen to exploit from the outset.

Game breaker: Will Jordan
No lack of depth surrounds the back trio for the Crusaders and after some frustrations with injuries in last season's campaign, Jordan came back strong when recovered and can be expected to be a dangerous factor in the side, especially running into the line from fullback. He demonstrated that potency in the Mitre 10 Cup-winning Tasman side in 2019. He will test many opposing defensive screens. The edge should also be increased as a result of competition from David Havili and even George Bridge for the role.

Key signing: Tom Christie
While the Crusaders have become used to the absences of flanker Matt Todd in recent seasons, his now permanent departure places heavier demands on the loose forwards. That is not helped by Kieran Read and Jordan Taufua's loss as well and it is a tough call for Christie to come in under such circumstances. However, he has shown maturity in his career to date where he led the New Zealand Under-20 side at the 2018 world championship and he will have a significant role in binding the loose forwards together. A smaller player, it will be a test of his development work and ability to take the knocks associated with his position, that will determine the level of contribution he can make in 2020.

Returning veteran: Luke Romano
With Sam Whitelock on sabbatical in Japan and unlikely to feature until well into the campaign, and Scott Barrett having taken on the captaincy duties, Romano's experience in what is a young inexperienced pack will be vital. A highly-regarded lineout tactician, he may be nearing the end of his career but he has plenty to offer this Crusaders side. A key lieutenant in this campaign he will also be important in nurturing the emerging locking talent where the likes of Quinten Strange is also coming through at pace.

The Scoop
Season four at the helm may be the toughest test yet for coach Scott Robertson. He's lost plenty of his core and it will be a measure of the Crusaders' endurance to see if they are able to maintain the high standards which have seen them set the standards in the competition. There's no doubt the talent identification that is a feature of the Crusader legacy has ensured quality players have been signed to the cause but getting them to gel in the customary Crusaders manner will be the challenge. But if there's any side that can be guaranteed to be up for that task it is the three-time defending champions. How he utilises the midfield players Jack Goodhue and Braydon Ennor will be interesting while covering for the loss of Mitch Hunt as back up to Richie Mo'unga at first five-eighths will also be important for the side.

https://www.superrugby.co.nz/news/team- ... crusaders/
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

Ten-time Super Rugby champions the Crusaders are now planting their red and black flag on Australian soil through an unlikely partnership with the University of Wollongong. The Christchurch-based club and the UOW announced the new player development program — which will kick off in 2021 — on the Wollongong campus on Thursday.

A press release said the program would feature Crusaders coaches offering their expertise to aspiring players who would train for 16-20 hours a week throughout the year in “a unique opportunity to combine the world class rugby training program with academic studies.” Applications open in March and was open to males and females, Australian and international and students.

The program would cover “technical aspects of rugby specific to playing position, tactical knowledge of the game and game simulation, position specific fitness and strength and conditioning and wellness and nutrition.”

So what’s the motivation for the Crusaders?

“This is a unique opportunity to grow the Crusaders organisation globally, with an extension of our existing international programs,” Crusaders chief executive Colin Mansbridge said. “Our club, through the Crusaders international academy, has links in Europe, America and Asia already, so this partnership with University of Wollongong is a natural progression for us and an exciting opportunity for our organisation.”

“The Crusaders is about more than just a world class high performance program,” Robertson said. “Over the last 24 years of Super Rugby, our culture, connectedness and sense of community has been a point of difference, and led to our success both on and off the rugby field. “We’re excited to take the Crusaders club to the world, and look forward to this innovative partnership with University of Wollongong.” The UOW is also launching a similar style global football development program with Premier League club Tottenham Hotspur this year. “UOW is excited to be partnering with the most successful rugby club in the world,” said professor Alex Frino, the UOW’s deputy vice chancellor of global strategy.

“This unique program will enable our students to develop their rugby under a truly world class coaching system, while also receiving a world class university education.

“It will strengthen the place within our university of a rapidly growing international sport and fill a gap that exists for aspiring professional rugby players to learn both on and off the field.

“The program will bring to Wollongong players of tremendous ability and potential, both on the field and in the classroom, who will contribute their skills to local rugby teams, competitions and associations.

“It will strengthen the place of union in the local community and contribute well trained players to the game globally.”