Do you speak another language?

All things Rugby
Canadian_Rugger

Re: Do you speak another language?

Post by Canadian_Rugger »

English and French, both fluently, although my French has fallen off a bit in recent years having been away from the motherland for 15+ years. Still speak it very well but my writing is no longer as good as it once was.

I grew up in a small town in New Brunswick, Canada that is very close to the border of Quebec. It is about 70% French, 30% English. You either learn to speak French as an Anglo or you don't function. Almost everyone speaks both languages fluently, it makes for interesting times listening to people banter with each other while casually switching between both languages.

Btw, French women are very beautiful, so it pays to know the language!
frillage

Post by frillage »

Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
Caley_Red wrote:
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
Caley_Red wrote:Python, Matlab, Visual Basic and an adequate level of SQL.
In binary clicks?
No, that's my Xhosa
:lol: :lol:

I still keep a pebble in my pocket to assist with Welsh
You throw it at them and they go away?
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

frillage wrote:
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
Caley_Red wrote:
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:
In binary clicks?
No, that's my Xhosa
:lol: :lol:

I still keep a pebble in my pocket to assist with Welsh
You throw it at them and they go away?
Phlegm generator
MrJonno

Post by MrJonno »

Irish, Latin, French, Spanish* and Greek are the languages that I have so far failed to learn and I am currently failing to learn Czech and Burmese.

*Actually I did learn a bit of Spanish, enough that Spanish people would say to me "Oh! Your Spanish is so good, you are nearly fluent".... but they would always say it to me in English as they weren't confident I would understand otherwise.
somer

Post by somer »

Rugbaidh wrote:Do you speak a second, third or well, c'mon now, a fourth??!!!

What do you love about it? Do you get a chance to speak it often? And have you even became so good in your second or third language, that you've forgotten or mixed up words in your native tongue?

I speak English and Scottish Gaelic. My Gàidhlig isn't great, but I'm doing some refresher courses right now and trying to use it with the few pals I have that have it too. It was my grandfather's mother tongue, and I cannot believe he didn't think of speaking it to his son (my dad) as he didn't think he would need it in the big city or 'an tir mòr'.

I think most people in Scotland and polls back it up, do back Gaelic - the numbers are usually high 60s/70s if asked do you support promotion of Scottish Gaelic etc, yet there is a very vocal minority who'll say ''It was never spoken here'' which is pretty much untrue for everywhere barring the Northern Isles and swatches of Caithness. I enjoy trying to work out or that I understand the names of a lot of mountains, areas, hills, towns, rivers e.g Cairngorms is idiotmatic in that Cairn means stone/hill and gorm is blue yet its name in Gaelic is ''Monadh Ruadh'' Red Mountains.

I also enjoy I can understand/read a fair bit of Irish too. Especially Ulster or Donegal for listening/speaking ; but RTÈ I can pick up a fair bit of Irish and have an Irish pal that after a few drinks, we'll speak a hybrid Gaelige-Gàidhlig together.

If anyone is interested in learning a language or even a few words/phrases, go for it. The opportunitiesi available thanks to the net are insurmountable. Even wee apps like Duolingo (Scottish Gaelic coming soon for anyone interested) are great. I always try and learn a few words/phrases if I am going somewhere although I've often found in Benlux or Scandinavian - people are almost WTF, don't bother! Whilst I literally got invited back to a party in Bala by using a very broken ''sorry I don't speak much Welsh, but is it ok to talk English?'' when in the local post office/shop!

Anyhoos, love to hear some views on here.
That's not strictly true.
The Lothian region of Scotland, including Edinburgh, were Scots(English) speakers from the early Middle ages onward after they were incorporated into the Old English Kingdoms of Bernica\Northumbria. Prior to that they were Britons speaking a language similar to Old Welsh. Later the region was conquered by Scotland and elite Gaelic-speaking landowners moved in but the native tongue of the common people was always Scots and never Gaelic.
Willie Falloon

Post by Willie Falloon »

Ulster scots.
Diego

Post by Diego »

massive_field_goal wrote:it's wonderful when regional languages fight back against their colonial oppressors. :thumbup:

i collect and peruse foreign dictionaries. portugeuse, spanish, french, german, italian, swedish and russian so far. wouldn't touch dutch with a 10ft bargepole though. danish maybe a 5ft pole.
Danish is ok to read and the grammar is easy enough. The pronunciation is total AIDS though.
mileendmikey

Post by mileendmikey »

Fluent French, pretty good Spanish and German.

Have just started Japanese, which is nowhere near as hard as I thought it would be...apart from the bloody Kanji...my handwriting is terrible at the best of times.....
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

mileendmikey wrote:Fluent French, pretty good Spanish and German.

Have just started Japanese, which is nowhere near as hard as I thought it would be...apart from the bloody Kanji...my handwriting is terrible at the best of times.....
Exactly my issue! :lol:
Bullettyme

Post by Bullettyme »

I can speak Spanish to a conversational level. Although a bit rusty now. Had taken lessons in it and travelled and try to speak a bit with girlfriend and friends but sometimes it's just easier to speak English. Will go travelling in January so will pick it up again I'm sure :thumbup:
danny_fitz

Post by danny_fitz »

Very envious of people who can pick up languages with ease. I have been labouring with French for years, I can get by just about but it is constant work in progress.
The Sun God

Post by The Sun God »

croyals wrote:Enough French to have a short but pleasant conversation.

Given my job takes me abroad every other week, I've been learning to speak English as spoken by people to whom it is a second language, which was significantly harder than I expected it to be.
Why in Gods name would you want to do that?....
The Sun God

Post by The Sun God »

danny_fitz wrote:Very envious of people who can pick up languages with ease. I have been labouring with French for years, I can get by just about but it is constant work in progress.
I have been living in France for 8 years and it's still a work in progress.....I speak it well enough but could never pass for a local.
Lemoentjie

Post by Lemoentjie »

Jeff the Bear wrote:
Lemoentjie wrote:Wow, you are a rare breed. I had the impression that the celtic languages had almost died out. I speak 3, which is quite on the low side for South Africans!!
The Annual Population Survey conducted by the Office for National Statistics for the year ending in March 2019 suggest that 896,900 Welsh residents (30 per cent) aged three or over in Wales were able to speak Welsh.
Welsh (Cymraeg) is also a growing language. You can expect that 30% to be increased year on year. The Welsh government put a shit tonne of money into the language, and there are 'Welsh school' options for pretty much anyone who wants their child to to be taught in the language.
:shock: :thumbup:
Mog The Almighty

Post by Mog The Almighty »

I should, but am embarrassed to admit that I don't. It's f-cking shameful, I've been in Sweden for six years and still can't wrap my head around the language. It's extremely frustrating and a bit embarrassing, because it hasn't been without trying. I'm beginning to think I just don't have a brain wired for languages. Some people seem to walk through a room of foreigners and come out the other side speaking three languages. I've been putting effort into learning this f-cking gobbledy gook for years and still can't make it work.

Of course I can say basic things and read baby books and shit, but couldn't have an adult conversation.

Mind you, I'm not alone. The number of expats living here who speak worse Swedish than me is mind-boggling. I'm actually fairly decent compared to a lot of them.
danny_fitz

Post by danny_fitz »

The Sun God wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:Very envious of people who can pick up languages with ease. I have been labouring with French for years, I can get by just about but it is constant work in progress.
I have been living in France for 8 years and it's still a work in progress.....I speak it well enough but could never pass for a local.
Where in France are you based?
PCPhil

Post by PCPhil »

Italian is coming back on after I left it for a looong time. It’s great the amount of smiles you get when you can talk to someone in their language.
koroke hangareka

Post by koroke hangareka »

None of these count. Try learning English, it's quite useful.
The Sun God

Post by The Sun God »

Mog The Almighty wrote:I should, but am embarrassed to admit that I don't. It's f-cking shameful, I've been in Sweden for six years and still can't wrap my head around the language. It's extremely frustrating and a bit embarrassing, because it hasn't been without trying. I'm beginning to think I just don't have a brain wired for languages. Some people seem to walk through a room of foreigners and come out the other side speaking three languages. I've been putting effort into learning this f-cking gobbledy gook for years and still can't make it work.

Of course I can say basic things and read baby books and shit, but couldn't have an adult conversation.

Mind you, I'm not alone. The number of expats living here who speak worse Swedish than me is mind-boggling. I'm actually fairly decent compared to a lot of them.
The Nordic languages are tough for native English speakers to get our heads around..
danny_fitz

Post by danny_fitz »

Mog The Almighty wrote:I should, but am embarrassed to admit that I don't. It's f-cking shameful, I've been in Sweden for six years and still can't wrap my head around the language. It's extremely frustrating and a bit embarrassing, because it hasn't been without trying. I'm beginning to think I just don't have a brain wired for languages. Some people seem to walk through a room of foreigners and come out the other side speaking three languages. I've been putting effort into learning this f-cking gobbledy gook for years and still can't make it work.

In fairness when I was living there even when I tried to speak Swedish everyone responded in perfect English.
The Sun God

Post by The Sun God »

danny_fitz wrote:
The Sun God wrote:
Beaulieu-sur-Mer ..... In between Nice and Monaco.Spend most of the year here but still have my home in Dublin and I spend quite a bit of time in Dubai.
Mahoney

Post by Mahoney »

danny_fitz wrote:

In fairness when I was living there even when I tried to speak Swedish everyone responded in perfect English.
That's surely the primary problem for English speakers who aren't natural linguists - in so much of the world it's so easy to get by (or more) on English.

Mind you my wife managed to become fluent in Dutch in the course of two years there, and everyone in the Netherlands seems to speak perfect English. Done for her German though.

Does Bislama count? I was no more than mediocre, but I could have a discussion about Princess Diana with a non-English speaker.
Witchfinder General

Post by Witchfinder General »

Irish, French and a smattering of Dutch probably understand more than I speak of all 3 at this stage due to lack of day to day use
Toulon's Not Toulouse

Post by Toulon's Not Toulouse »

French, English, Spanish, in order of proficiency. French, Spanish and some Provencal slang mean I can decipher written Catalan. Laughable Irish and vague leftovers of Latin.

Oh and basic conversational Polish: Tyskie, Zubrowka, kurwa.
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

mileendmikey wrote:Fluent French, pretty good Spanish and German.

Japanese is bog easy as a spoken language but the written language is a farking nightmare.
Mahoney

Post by Mahoney »

Rugbaidh wrote:yet there is a very vocal minority who'll say ''It was never spoken here'' which is pretty much untrue for everywhere barring the Northern Isles and swatches of Caithness
Raises sceptical eyebrow... I'd be quite surprised if Gaelic were ever anything other than a minority language south of the Forth-Clyde line and east of Galloway. Most of that was only added to the Kingdom of the Scots after 950, and by 1400 the linguistic divide looked like this:
which doesn't suggest Gaelic had taken much hold.
danny_fitz

Post by danny_fitz »

The Sun God wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:
The Sun God wrote:
Beaulieu-sur-Mer ..... In between Nice and Monaco.Spend most of the year here but still have my home in Dublin and I spend quite a bit of time in Dubai.
Lovely spot :thumbup:

Used to live in Beausoleil down the road. Loved bombing around the Corniche through Eze.

Looking at moving to the Var region with Mrs Fitz a bit further down the coast.
message #2527204

Post by message #2527204 »

The Sun God wrote:
I spent three years only speaking French. To the point where people started suspecting I wasn't really English and was just putting on a vague accent for effect.
I even had a French accent on my return, apparently.
The Sun God

Post by The Sun God »

danny_fitz wrote:
The Sun God wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:
The Sun God wrote:
Lovely spot :thumbup:

Used to live in Beausoleil down the road. Loved bombing around the Corniche through Eze.

Looking at moving to the Var region with Mrs Fitz a bit further down the coast.
Know it well..... Upper Monte Carlo !! i love it down here but my Missus is still not so sure.The Var region is getting very expensive....don't wait too long.
danny_fitz

Post by danny_fitz »

message #2527204 wrote:
The Sun God wrote:
I spent three years only speaking French. To the point where people started suspecting I wasn't really English and was just putting on a vague accent for effect.
When I was living there I was told by the French women that their language being spoken with an English/Irish accent is supremely attractive. :smug:
The Sun God

Post by The Sun God »

message #2527204 wrote:
The Sun God wrote:
I try to speak it as much as possible while here but many people I know, even locals, like to speak to me in English.... They say I am very easy to understand as I have little or no accent.... Maybe 20 years living in America clipped my brogue.
danny_fitz

Post by danny_fitz »

The Sun God wrote:
Know it well..... Upper Monte Carlo !! i love it down here but my Missus is still not so sure.The Var region is getting very expensive....don't wait too long.
My apartment was right on the border, would step out the front door and into Monaco, fraction of the rent though!

Depends where are you are looking, I have been visiting the village Collobrieres for nearly 25 years, lovely spot smack in the middle of the Var. Far enough away from the batshit prices and traffic of the coast and not yet completely overrun with tourists.
Mog The Almighty

Mahoney wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:

That's surely the primary problem for English speakers who aren't natural linguists - in so much of the world it's so easy to get by (or more) on English.

Mind you my wife managed to become fluent in Dutch in the course of two years there, and everyone in the Netherlands seems to speak perfect English. Done for her German though.

Does Bislama count? I was no more than mediocre, but I could have a discussion about Princess Diana with a non-English speaker.
Yeah it's a massive problem in Sweden for sure.

One of my friends came here quite a few years ago now, she was alone in the street at night at some drunk homeless guy started talking at her as she walked past. She was scared and said, "sorry I don't speak Swedish", and he responded in perfect English, "sorry my dear, but I fear if this wall wasn't holding me up, I'd fall over!". Welcome to Sweden.

The only people who don't speak English are other immigrants, the overwhelming majority of who come from the Middle East. So the only time I really am forced to speak Swedish is speaking to them, which is far less than ideal since most of them speak some shitty weird version of Swedish themselves.
Woddy

Post by Woddy »

Spanish (fluent, though now rusty through lack of practice) and conversational French. As a result of learning French and Latin through school (and Spanish more recently), most Romance languages are readable and you can stumble along orally, even in Romania.

I love the feeling that it gives you a better insight into a people's culture and even philosophy. There are some words or phrases I know in Spanish that do not have natural equivalents in English, which must reveal different modes of thinking imo. You can even track that through different variants of e.g. Spanish. I originally learnt my Spanish in Chile, where the verb "coger" is taboo yet is the one of the most common verbs in Spain, meaning "to take/have"...

Back to the OP, I am intrigued that Scottish Gaelic (Gallic?) did not make it to the Northern Isles. Scots English in the east and south-east is well-attributed from long ago, and no one really knows what Pictish was like in the East and North but presume it to be a Brythonic variant (so Gaelic, essentially). What was in the Northern Isles? After the eighth century, I can imagine that Norse of some description would have pre-dominated, but before that?

Also interested in why Nordic languages may be difficult for natural English speakers. We share a common root and phonetically Frisian and Jutlandish remain similar to some forms of English, especially in the north-east. I always imagined that a remaining similarity was one reason why the Nordics seem to find it easy to be so proficient in English.
The Sun God

Post by The Sun God »

danny_fitz wrote:
The Sun God wrote:
My apartment was right on the border, would step out the front door and into Monaco, fraction of the rent though!

Depends where are you are looking, I have been visiting the village Collobrieres for nearly 25 years, lovely spot smack in the middle of the Var. Far enough away from the batshit prices and traffic of the coast and not yet completely overrun with tourists.
I been there quite a few times as I have a friend who used to live close by.....beautiful little town. I usually stayed overnight so I can enjoy the wine. Hotel des Maures, assume you know it.
danny_fitz

Post by danny_fitz »

The Sun God wrote:
danny_fitz wrote:
The Sun God wrote:

I been there quite a few times as I have a friend who used to live close by.....beautiful little town. I usually stayed overnight so I can enjoy the wine. Hotel des Maures, assume you know it.
Know it very well. Had my wedding reception there as I got married in the church up the hill. The place has undergone quite a big refurbishment, very good value for money. Folks have been splitting their time between west Clare and Collobrieres for some time now. The reason there used to be loads of Munster gear behind the bar was due to my father. They used to take him to the Toulon games and he looked after them at Thomond Park. For a small town there is quite a bit going on in terms of festivals, art exhibitions, markets etc. The area around is great for walks. Will be there for Christmas
Last edited by danny_fitz on Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lemoentjie

Post by Lemoentjie »

When you speak another, you realise how boring English can be...

Paratrooper in afrikaans is 'flesh bomb' :lol:
Plato'sCave

Post by Plato'sCave »

koroke hangareka wrote:
None of these count. Try learning English, it's quite useful.
As Python is one of the main languages of machine intelligence interaction, I’d say if not only counts but supersedes any other language, it’s used to tune translation engines (in such groovy shit like tensorflow) which are developing at such an extent that soon the self lauded human translation skills on here and elsewhere will be utterly obsolete.
danny_fitz

Post by danny_fitz »

Lemoentjie wrote:When you speak another, you realise how boring English can be...

That is my new name for a 60min impact sub
Mog The Almighty

Lemoentjie wrote:When you speak another, you realise how boring English can be...

There's some hilarious ones in Swedish as well. A lot of things they basically just say what it is, for example, gums are "teeth meat".