Welcome to Hell ... eastern Australia

All things Rugby
Fat Old Git

Re: Welcome to Hell ... eastern Australia

Post by Fat Old Git »

I saw a short story about work that was done to save a small section of bush that contained a unique endangered ecosystem that seems to have been successful. Can't find it now though. Anyone know the details?
wamberal99

Post by wamberal99 »

Fat Old Git wrote:I saw a short story about work that was done to save a small section of bush that contained a unique endangered ecosystem that seems to have been successful. Can't find it now though. Anyone know the details?

Pretty sure that was about the Wollemi Pine.
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

It was quite impressive whatever it was. A small victory against all the horror.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Fat Old Git wrote:I saw a short story about work that was done to save a small section of bush that contained a unique endangered ecosystem that seems to have been successful. Can't find it now though. Anyone know the details?
https://www.smh.com.au/environment/cons ... 53rom.html
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... -australia
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

wamberal99 wrote:

Yes, the location of the grove is a well kept secret, or has been... for years. A concerted effort was made to preserve the trees and that was successful. Now they are one of the few preserved sections of forest left in the area... open to discovery by trophy hunting f**kwits.
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

Ffs now my auntie out theres garage is flooded with ankle deep water in the garden. Just moved house and all the boxed stuff soaked. Can’t buy a bit of luck!
grievous

Post by grievous »

DragsterDriver wrote:Ffs now my auntie out theres garage is flooded with ankle deep water in the garden. Just moved house and all the boxed stuff soaked. Can’t buy a bit of luck!
I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges,
Of droughts and flooding rains.

Think the love of the elements will be truely tested from this point on
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

grievous wrote:
DragsterDriver wrote:Ffs now my auntie out theres garage is flooded with ankle deep water in the garden. Just moved house and all the boxed stuff soaked. Can’t buy a bit of luck!

Aussies are generally resilient tough people, it’s a good job eh.
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

Ali's Choice wrote:
https://www.smh.com.au/environment/cons ... 53rom.html
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... -australia
:thumbup: :thumbup:
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

guy smiley wrote:
wamberal99 wrote:

Yes, the location of the grove is a well kept secret, or has been... for years. A concerted effort was made to preserve the trees and that was successful. Now they are one of the few preserved sections of forest left in the area... open to discovery by trophy hunting f**kwits.
I hope they take steps to prevent that.
grievous

Post by grievous »

DragsterDriver wrote:
grievous wrote:

Resilient but if you're living off the land and it these disasters become more regular there will be many rural refugees leaving the bush
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

I would say that people in general are much more resilient then we give them credit for thankfully. Look at what people all over he world have put up with in wars in natural disasters.

From a personal perspective they say similar things about my city (Christchurch) as a result of the earthquakes. But the reality for most of us if we don't really have much choice. And I don't think we're any more resilient than anyone else.

I suspect most of those just getting on with it in Oz would say the same thing.

Sorry, that might come across as me knocking those in the disaster zone. But that's not what I'm trying to say at all.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Fat Old Git wrote:I would say that people in general are much more resilient then we give them credit for thankfully. Look at what people all over he world have put up with in wars in natural disasters.

From a personal perspective they say similar things about my city (Christchurch) as a result of the earthquakes. But the reality for most of us if we don't really have much choice. And I don't think we're any more resilient than anyone else.

I suspect most of those just getting on with it in Oz would say the same thing.

Sorry, that might come across as me knocking those in the disaster zone. But that's not what I'm trying to say at all.

I don't think so (you knocking those affected). I agree with you that people are resilient because there's no other choice than to be that... but there is a human cost. The Christchurch earthquakes have had a positive effect in that people in the region seem to me, a regular visitor born there coming in from outside, a more community minded spirit and a general sense of openness to others that wasn't there before. I'm sure that something similar will also occur across the fire affected areas in Australia... although that has already been observed previously after other serious fires...

what marks this latest as different is a sense of brittleness within the population, a sense that enough is enough and it's time the political class got their act together and started actually leading and listening. It could be my own political preference colouring my perception but I think this is something of a breaking point for change here. That marks this as different, a natural disaster forceful enough to effect social or political change is a rare event. Additionally... the finger has been pointed hard at the Murdoch news empire and it is not letting up, nor is the connectedness of the two issues.
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

Adversity often brings the best out in people and communities, and can be a real force for positive change.

Hopefully that sense of bitterness can be used as part if that. A way to hold those responsible to account and ensure the issues at hand remain a real focus.
The Man Without Fear

Post by The Man Without Fear »

Fat Old Git wrote:
guy smiley wrote:
wamberal99 wrote:

But trophy hunting is good for the local economy and encourages breeding programs for endangered animals!
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

grievous wrote:
DragsterDriver wrote:
grievous wrote:

Resilient but if you're living off the land and it these disasters become more regular there will be many rural refugees leaving the bush
Yeah my cousin owns a campsite and they’ve been wiped out.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

Fat Old Git wrote:
guy smiley wrote:
wamberal99 wrote:

It isn't the only location - they moved to another location to create more diversity.

Also, they have many plants commercially available.

This valley is just the original remnant location
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

That's good to hear. Still a very special location obviously, but the threat to the species living there not quite as dire as I first thought.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

Keeping the original location is a good result!
Brumbie_Steve

Post by Brumbie_Steve »

The Man Without Fear wrote:
Fat Old Git wrote:
guy smiley wrote:
wamberal99 wrote:

But trophy hunting is good for the local economy and encourages breeding programs for endangered animals!
Exactly. I had the Endagered Species Barbeque plate when I was at the Singapore Zoo recently. A percentage of the cost goes to support endangered species.
Brumbie_Steve

Post by Brumbie_Steve »

Fun fact. Without googling does anyone know why our Environment Minister has a double s in the middle of her Christian name. It's Sussan Ley for those who need the assistance.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Brumbie_Steve wrote:Fun fact. Without googling does anyone know why our Environment Minister has a double s in the middle of her Christian name. It's Sussan Ley for those who need the assistance.
Maybe her parents were bogans who deliberately misspelled her name because they thought it looked 'interesting', just like I have seen the name Blade also spelt Blaid and Blayde. Btw who the f**k calls their little baby boy any derivation of the name Blade?
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

I am sorry but Google called and having read why can I be the first to say fück me and :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

EverReady wrote:I am sorry but Google called and having read why can I be the first to say fück me and :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
#metoo :lol: :lol: :lol:
Brumbie_Steve

Post by Brumbie_Steve »

Nice to have an environment minister with their finger on the pulse where science is concerned.
6.Jones

Post by 6.Jones »

She took the second i out of firies and look where it got us.
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

guy smiley wrote:
EverReady wrote:I am sorry but Google called and having read why can I be the first to say fück me and :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ditto; and dear farken christ...
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

6.Jones wrote:She took the second i out of firies and look where it got us.
:lol:

:lol: :lol:
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

guy smiley wrote:
:shock:
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

:lol:

We're f**king doomed
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

:lol: :lol:
Sundy

Post by Sundy »

By the sounds of it an airtanker has gone down in NSW

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-01-23/ ... e/11893554

With the fires it's easy to forget the hours of risk the plane and helicopter pilots put themselves in :(
Caley_Red

Post by Caley_Red »

Anyone know much about what's going on up the Blue Mountains? Heading up to Katoomba and Blackheath this weekend for some trail walking. Information online is very generic, was hoping someone had been up there recently?
kiwinoz

Post by kiwinoz »

Sundy wrote:By the sounds of it an airtanker has gone down in NSW

With the fires it's easy to forget the hours of risk the plane and helicopter pilots put themselves in :(
Very sad news.
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

Sundy wrote:By the sounds of it an airtanker has gone down in NSW

Terrible news. It's not looking good for those on board. :(
Dark

Post by Dark »

3 confirmed dead in the plane crash.

:(
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

RIP :(
freewheelan

Post by freewheelan »

The 3 dead were American apparently. Just tragic!
Dark

Post by Dark »

Was thinking the other day watching the planes and helicopters on TV, it is some dodgy conditions to be flying in, and something like this might happen. But thought it would be a chopper, if it happened.

Almost worse than a war zone visibility wise with the smoke.

(Obviously minus people shooting at you)
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

We lost an experienced helicopter pilot here when we had the port hills fires a couple of years back, and that was on a much smaller scale and shorter timeframes. It's a bloody risky job and you can't help but admire those who put it all on the line to do it.