Rugby: By the Ball

All things Rugby
Vuaka

Rugby: By the Ball

Post by Vuaka »

I just watched this program.

What a great captain NZ had in David Kirk. Not only was he a great player, he was articulate, intelligent and had the right morals not to go on the rebels tour to SA.

It was shameful that the rebels treated him so badly and that he was stripped of his captaincy. Was it karma that Dalton was injured right before RWC 87 allowing Kirk to captain the All Blacks to victory?

Other interesting bits:
1. The rebels only received a 2 match ban.
2. The All Blacks learnt the passion of the haka from school boys, basically the birth of the spine tingling haka of today.
3. The haka was first performed by the All Blacks at home at the RWC 87.
LandOTurk

Re: Rugby: By the Ball

Post by LandOTurk »

Vuaka wrote:I just watched this program.

What a great captain NZ had in David Kirk. Not only was he a great player, he was articulate, intelligent and had the right morals not to go on the rebels tour to SA.

It was shameful that the rebels treated him so badly and that he was stripped of his captaincy. Was it karma that Dalton was injured right before RWC 87 allowing Kirk to captain the All Blacks to victory?

Other interesting bits:
1. The rebels only received a 2 match ban.
2. The All Blacks learnt the passion of the haka from school boys, basically the birth of the spine tingling haka of today.
3. The haka was first performed by the All Blacks at home at the RWC 87.
Really!

I thought Buck Shelford brought its menaing back to the ABs.

So you are saying that the haka was only performed at away grounds until then? When did the first haka start at a rugby game? I know it was at least 1905. See below.

In 1905, "Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau" became the first national anthem to be sung at the start of a sporting event. Although crowds singing anthems during matches was commonplace, there was no precedent for the anthem to be sung before a game commenced in any sport. The Welsh national rugby team were playing host to the first touring New Zealand team, who to that point were unbeaten. After Wales won the Triple Crown in the 1905 Home Nations Championship the match was dubbed the 'Game of the Century' by the press. The New Zealand team started every match with the Haka, and Welsh Rugby Union administrator Tom Williams, suggested that Wales player Teddy Morgan lead the crowd in the singing of the anthem as a response. After Morgan began singing, the crowd joined in, and Wales became the first nation to sing a national anthem at the start of a sporting event.
Jensrsa

Post by Jensrsa »

In the early decades, haka were only rarely performed at home matches, such as the third test of the 1921 Springboks tour, played in Wellington.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haka_in_sports
BBB

Post by BBB »

Buck Shelford describing John Gallaghers reaction in the sheds after the infamous test in Nantes in 86 when he took off his shorts and one of his testicles was hanging out of his torn scrotum. :lol: :?
Snooze

Post by Snooze »

Anyone know how I can get hold of this here vid. Via 'your' login or any other, ahem, means??

Kirky was a fabulous talisman for NZ rugby. As a wonderful scrummie myself I always looked up to him. But very interested in seeing this doco.
Akkerman

Post by Akkerman »

my friend says it's on that pirate site

and the correct title is ''by the balls''

you might some other interesting search results for that