Australia vs New Zealand - Tests / Chappell Hadlee ODIs

All things Rugby
mrbrownstone

Re: Australia vs New Zealand - Tests / Chappell Hadlee ODIs

Post by mrbrownstone »

J Man wrote:
RandomNavigat0r wrote:
I think Kane Williamsons days of being captain need to be assessed and maybe he should have it taken off him. He doesnt seem to lead by example.
He is the quintessential brilliant individual, hopeless group person. The reason why great players don't make great coaches. He is as inspirational as a wet fart. Take the captaincy off him and let him focus on batting and he can average 60 batting at number 3.
I thought his tactics throughout the World Cup were excellent, keeping us in games when our batting underperformed. He's also proven to be a good T20 captain with the Sunrisers in the IPL. I think he's a good limited overs skipper.

His test tactics are more questionable/negative. However those tactics also got us to #2 in the world (yes we were never actually that good, but even being in the discussion after years ranked 7-8 is an achievement) and won us a series in the UAE and a test in Sri Lanka. Not to be sniffed at.

His average as captain is also higher than not as captain (55 vs 49), though that could simply correlate with him coming into his prime as a batsman. Interestingly his numbers under McCullum (30 tests @ 59) are the best of the lot - his non-captain numbers are dragged down by the few years he took to find his feet at test level. There could be some merit there.

The question is, is there a better alternative? Taylor tried and failed, Southee, Watling at the tail end of their careers, Nicholls not assured of his place. Latham is the only viable alternative - will he do a better job?

fudge it make Wagner & CDG co-captains and see what happens.
Cullen

Post by Cullen »

jdogscoop wrote:I'd like to see a series in England before confidently asserting we are better than them.

I don't think we are.
I’d like to see us play Ireland anywhere to hopefully get some confidence back.

Like Australia in rugby there is zero depth passed the starting team
The Optimist

Post by The Optimist »

David Warner, Kane Williamson, Tim Paine and Neil Wagner among many relaxing in Sydney.
Ellafan

Post by Ellafan »

Why is this thread still going?

Ancient history. Mods should lock it.
JB1981

Post by JB1981 »

Ellafan wrote:Why is this thread still going?

It was dropping down the page until your bump.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

JB1981 wrote:

It was dropping down the page until your bump.
I noticed that
grievous

Post by grievous »

The Optimist wrote:Image

David Warner, Kane Williamson, Tim Paine and Neil Wagner among many relaxing in Sydney.
If the Kiwis are drinking with Oz players they must have made top blokes status. Congrats David Warner.
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

If you check the title you'll see Chappell Hadlee ODI's

In March there are 3 ODI's and 3 T20's between Australia and NZ. There is further discussion to be had although I don't care if it drops down a few pages till then
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

BBB wrote:A Haka from the BC supporters!

:lol: :lol:
Came across this today.
https://youtu.be/9WWQZg5Pn0w?t=71
Quality :lol:
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

Upcoming Chappell-Hadlee ODI 3 match series

Friday 13th March - Sydney Cricket Ground 2.30pm local, 4.30pm NZ
Sunday 15th March - Sydney Cricket Ground 10.30am local, 12.30pm NZ
Friday 20th March - Blundstone Arena Hobart 2.30pm local, 4.30pm NZ

Australia are currently 0-1 down against the proteas in South Africa and the black caps are high off a test series win at home against India. Colin Munro gone thankfully and Wagner not named...
The Black Caps have named a full-strength squad – for the first time this summer – as they attempt to make history in Australia. Trent Boult, Matt Henry and Lockie Ferguson have returned to the New Zealand ODI squad for their three-match Chappell-Hadlee series against Australia, with the seam trio who shone at the World Cup having all recovered from the injuries which kept them out of the 3-0 sweep of India last month.

They join Tim Southee and Kyle Jamieson in a seam-bowling attack that makes up a third of the 15-man squad, which is carrying the ambition of becoming the first New Zealand side to claim an ODI series victory in Australia.
Black Caps ODI Squad:

Kane Williamson (c), Tom Blundell, Trent Boult, Colin de Grandhomme, Lockie Ferguson, Martin Guptill, Matt Henry, Kyle Jamieson, Tom Latham, Jimmy Neesham, Henry Nicholls, Mitchell Santner, Ish Sodhi, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor.
mrbrownstone

Post by mrbrownstone »

JPNZ wrote:Upcoming Chappell-Hadlee ODI 3 match series

Friday 13th March - Sydney Cricket Ground 2.30pm local, 4.30pm NZ
Sunday 15th March - Sydney Cricket Ground 10.30am local, 12.30pm NZ
Friday 20th March - Blundstone Arena Hobart 2.30pm local, 4.30pm NZ

Australia are currently 0-1 down against the proteas in South Africa and the black caps are high off a test series win at home against India. Colin Munro gone thankfully and Wagner not named...
The Black Caps have named a full-strength squad – for the first time this summer – as they attempt to make history in Australia. Trent Boult, Matt Henry and Lockie Ferguson have returned to the New Zealand ODI squad for their three-match Chappell-Hadlee series against Australia, with the seam trio who shone at the World Cup having all recovered from the injuries which kept them out of the 3-0 sweep of India last month.

They join Tim Southee and Kyle Jamieson in a seam-bowling attack that makes up a third of the 15-man squad, which is carrying the ambition of becoming the first New Zealand side to claim an ODI series victory in Australia.
Black Caps ODI Squad:

Kane Williamson (c), Tom Blundell, Trent Boult, Colin de Grandhomme, Lockie Ferguson, Martin Guptill, Matt Henry, Kyle Jamieson, Tom Latham, Jimmy Neesham, Henry Nicholls, Mitchell Santner, Ish Sodhi, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor.
No surprises really. The XI pretty much picks itself:

1. Guptill
2. Nicholls
3. Williamson
4. Taylor
5. Latham (wk)
6. Neesham
7. CDG
8. Santner
9. Jamieson/Henry/Sodhi
10. Ferguson
11. Boult

I think pretty much only the third-seamer/second spinner spot is up for grabs. You'd have to back Jamieson after his performances in the tests + superior batting ability over Henry & Sodhi. His bounce would also be valuable in Australia. Although, 2 games are in Sydney which can spin, and Henry would be unlucky after his very good world cup, especially given he's ranked 9th in the world in ODIs. Southee should be carrying the drinks.

There's also potential to drop one of Neesham/CDG and bat Santner at 7 & Jamieson at 8 or vice versa.

I fully expect this to be 3-0 to Australia as we simply can't win over there. Hope I'm wrong.
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

Rumours tonights 1st ODI in Sydney will be played behind closed doors, empty stadium. I cannot believe it will actually go ahead...
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

LandOTurk wrote:
BBB wrote:A Haka from the BC supporters!

:lol: :lol:
Came across this today.
https://youtu.be/9WWQZg5Pn0w?t=71
Quality :lol:
:lol:
Jay Cee Gee

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

JPNZ wrote:Rumours tonights 1st ODI in Sydney will be played behind closed doors, empty stadium. I cannot believe it will actually go ahead...

What's the f'king point? I can understand going ahead with closed door sporting events when it's part of a larger competition but if it's a meaningless hit and giggle they should just cancel it. Yeah, Chapple Hadlee etc, but there's a trophy for every series.

The answer is $$$ from TV revenue, I suppose.
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

Jay Cee Gee wrote:
JPNZ wrote:Rumours tonights 1st ODI in Sydney will be played behind closed doors, empty stadium. I cannot believe it will actually go ahead...

What's the f'king point? I can understand going ahead with closed door sporting events when it's part of a larger competition but if it's a meaningless hit and giggle they should just cancel it. Yeah, Chapple Hadlee etc, but there's a trophy for every series.

The answer is $$$ from TV revenue, I suppose.
I'd say it will be cancelled very soon. As with all cricket world wide
Slim 293

Post by Slim 293 »

Just announced the matches will go ahead in closed stadiums...
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

Slim 293 wrote:Just announced the matches will go ahead in closed stadiums...
At least I'll have some sport to watch this weekend then.
grievous

Post by grievous »

Was going to go to this but it was never going to get a good crowd for several reasons
One dayers are on the nose these days
Playing NZ
All footy codes are well under way and the public see Feb as the end of any international cricket played in Oz football codes take up 7-8 months of the year.
Corona virus would of discouraged many
mrbrownstone

Post by mrbrownstone »

As said, don't know why they don't just cancel it.

There's already little interest in Australia with the strange scheduling & paywall for these games. The Black Caps will lose badly, probably 3-0, as usual in Australia.

Call the thing off and we'll retain the Chappell Hadlee as current holders. It's the right thing to do :thumbup:
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

No one will be watching these matches on TV either. There's very little interest in Australia right now and I doubt anyone apart from the hardcore cricket fans would even know it's on.

The only reason I know these matches have been scheduled is this thread!
mrbrownstone

Post by mrbrownstone »

Thomas wrote:No one will be watching these matches on TV either. There's very little interest in Australia right now and I doubt anyone apart from the hardcore cricket fans would even know it's on.

I've seen far more promotion for The Test docuseries on Amazon than I have for these games.

They would have been playing in close enough to empty stadiums anyway, I suspect.
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

grievous wrote:Was going to go to this but it was never going to get a good crowd for several reasons
One dayers are on the nose these days
Playing NZ
All footy codes are well under way and the public see Feb as the end of any international cricket played in Oz football codes take up 7-8 months of the year.
Corona virus would of discouraged many
Would have.
grievous

Post by grievous »

mrbrownstone wrote:
Thomas wrote:No one will be watching these matches on TV either. There's very little interest in Australia right now and I doubt anyone apart from the hardcore cricket fans would even know it's on.

I've seen far more promotion for The Test docuseries on Amazon than I have for these games.

They would have been playing in close enough to empty stadiums anyway, I suspect.
Melbourne would get a decent crowd Sydney can’t focus on overlapping seasonal sports.
NBL series final is on this weekend too.
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

Advantage Kiwis - just like home
Marshall Banana

Post by Marshall Banana »

https://www.cricket.com.au/news/kane-ri ... 2020-03-13
Kane Richardson quarantined after reporting illness

Fast bowler reported symptoms on return from South Africa tour and isolated from squad with results of COVID-19 test still pending

Sam Ferris at the SCG

13 March 2020, 01:39 PM AEST

@samuelfez

Australia arrived to the Sydney Cricket Ground today one squad member short, with fast bowler Kane Richardson quarantined after reporting a mild sore throat last night.

Having returned from South Africa this week with the Australia’s ODI squad, Richardson informed the team's medical staff last night of the complaint and has been tested for COVID-19.

The 29-year-old is reportedly feeling fine and will immediately come to the ground if tests return a negative result.

"Our medical staff are treating this a typical throat infection but we are following Australian Government protocols that require us to keep Kane away from other members of the squad and perform the appropriate tests given he has returned from international travel in the last 14 days," a Cricket Australia spokesperson said.

"Once we receive the results of the tests and Kane recovers in the next few days we expect he will re-join the team. We will not be making further comment until something changes."

NSW quick Sean Abbott has joined the squad as cover. Abbott was part of Australia's T20 squad in the recent tour of South Africa.

It was unlikely Richardson was going to play in the Gillette ODI Series opener against the Black Caps in Sydney, where both sides will play in front of empty stands after Cricket Australia shut the doors to the general public in the wake of the spreading pandemic.

At this stage, all three Chappell-Hadlee ODIs will be played behind closed doors, while the Australian Women's Cricket Team has had their limited-overs tour of South Africa cancelled.

However, there is no impact on the final round of Marsh Sheffield Shield fixtures, which will commence in Perth and Adelaide on March 17 and then in Melbourne two days later.

Fans who bought tickets to the ODI series will receive a full refund, with the series to be broadcast on Fox Cricket, Kayo Sports and ABC Grandstand and Macquarie radio.

Australia are set to travel to New Zealand for a T20 tour, which begins in Dunedin on March 24, but Cricket New Zealand says the series will go ahead as planned with fans permitted to attend.

While there were no patrons in the stands today, it was business as usual for both sides at the SCG this afternoon.

The appetite for hitting balls has not waned for Steve Smith and Marnus Labuschagne as both players were the first in the SCG nets receiving throwdowns two hours before play was scheduled to begin.
Marshall Banana

Post by Marshall Banana »

Aussie have won the toss, will bat, and win.

Only 3 hours until the rugby. :thumbup:
JB1981

Post by JB1981 »

Enzedder wrote:

Advantage Kiwis - just like home
We’d better not be penalised for a slow over rate with no one there to throw Australian sixes back from the stands :x
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

Marshall Banana wrote:Aussie have won the toss, will bat, and win.

Ah well, something to tide me over the final 2.5 hours of the working week.

:)
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

Umpire gives a clear knick not out and BCs don't ask for a review. It was out.
obelixtim

Post by obelixtim »

Marshall Banana wrote:Aussie have won the toss, will bat, and win.

Aussies must have a two headed coin. They always win the toss.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

Kiwias wrote:Umpire gives a clear knick not out and BCs don't ask for a review. It was out.
Better team bias.
obelixtim

Post by obelixtim »

Jimmy dishing up pies...again.
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

jdogscoop wrote:
Kiwias wrote:Umpire gives a clear knick not out and BCs don't ask for a review. It was out.
Better team bias.

And again
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

This is going well.
BBB

Post by BBB »

Foxtel should of had a go at CGIing a crowd and some crowd noises.
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

Santner removes Finch with a pretty good delivery.
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

Santner removes Smith. 146-3
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

JPNZ wrote:Santner removes Smith. 146-3
Santner is best spinner. FACT
JB1981

Post by JB1981 »

231-6 in the 48th ... I have missed a good comeback.
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

258/7 after 50. Good chance for the BCs here